8-16 Princes Square, London, England W2

Agoda.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 37% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Bad London Hotel

I just completed a week's stay (Jan.'08) at the Bayswater Inn. The beds are nothing more than boxsprings with sheets on them. The cleaning staff would re-hang dirty towels off the bathroom floor rather than replace with clean towels. I know this is true because I marked the label tag on the towel with a pencil. At the end of the day the same dirty towel would be hung in the bathroom for re=use. The same with the styrofoam cups that were in the room. Instead of replacing cups that were used, they would be re-stacked for use again. I marked the bottoms of the cups with an "X" and found the same dirty cups ready for re-use. To get clean cups or towels, I had to exchange the dirty ones at the front desk. I would NOT recommend this hotel, even though the location was good.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

Some general remarks

Update February 2010:

I just realized that the title of this tip has been changed to Bayswater Inn by VT staff. I have NEVER stayed in the Bayswater Inn and I suppose VT has looked at my title of this tip and decided to change it to Bayswater Inn because I said I would make some general remarks about the area, Bayswater.
    Bayswater is still my favourite area to stay in London. I know VT has been changing lots of hotel tips, giving them new titles, but I do not want anybody to think I stayed in the Bayswater Inn.

My favourite area to stay in is Bayswater. Good transportation - two tube stations-, a good bus service, close to Paddington Station, many hotels, restaurants, shopping oportunities and close enough to Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park.It is not, however,a quiet neighbourhood. Because there are so many small hotels, it's a favourite area for school groups from all over Europe.Expect lots of teenagers in the streets, noise and partying going on.

I've never paid the rack rate, in fact I wonder if anybody ever does.Maybe the hotel just posts the rack rate so that people can say, "we're staying in a room that would be £200!"

Before booking I compare the rates of the travel agencies, in Germany ADAC, DER, TUI and NUR.I suppose a similar system exists in other countries as well. Very often these companies offer specials," stay 7 days, pay just 5" or "4 days for 3".As with all special deals, they are gone fast, so I book ahead.I've saved a lot of money this way.

Because of this I won't give any prices. If I tell you I got a great deal and paid about 60 Euro for my room, because I got a special deal, this is not going to help you if this deal is not offered next year.

Generally hotel rooms in London are small and expensive. Space is expensive in any big city and you have to pay for it. The rates I get through the agencies include breakfast, usually a continental one. Occasionally British breakfast is included, but I would never pay extra for it in a London hotel. I've had excellent cooked breakfasts in small B&Bs in the rest of the UK, but in a London hotel they were without exception too greasy for my taste.

One hotel we had stayed in was the Thistle Lancaster Gate hotel. I just read it is no longer a hotel and I can't say I'm surprised. It was by far the most expensive hotel I had booked in London, as a special treat for my mother. While the rooms were really nice and large, the staff's attitude was so bad that we vowed never to return.

Directions: Roughly between Bayswater Road and Paddington Station

• tvor's Profile Photo

Prince's Square, Bayswater

Located in a quiet square a short walk from the Bayswater tube station and about 5 minutes more from the Queensway tube station on Bayswater road. Also in walking distance to Notting Hill area, Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens and Paddington train station. Hotel has a cafe and bar that stays open late for residents and room service to midnight.

Unique Quality: Elevator/Lift to all floors, all ensuite facilities. Rooms are standard size for London (i.e. not large). Depending on how you book, you may get continental breakfast included. Generally you can get that via sites such as Londonnights.com or Expedia. Prices on londonnights.com are cheaper than booking direct through the hotel.

reservations@bayswaterinn.co.uk

Directions: Out the Bayswater tube station, turn left on Queensway and immediate Left on Moscow Rd. 2nd major right, into Princes Sq.

• barrikello's Profile Photo

A decent hotel, cheap and quite clean

I stayed at the Bayswater Inn two nights at the end of November 2004. I booked through expedia and I took advantage of a cheap offer. The hotel is located in a quiet area of Bayswater district; it's rather old and 'seventy' but is not bad and the room was clean. I regret the fact that I was given a triple room (with three beds) instead of a double room.

Unique Quality: There is no outstanding quality apart for the quite comfortable bathroom with tub. The rooms have television and kettle.

• Hosell's Profile Photo

Nice place in downtow!

In my tryp to London, I stayed at Bayswater Inn Hotel.
    Very well situated,5 minutes walk to Hyde Park,and close to Whiteley's Shopping Centre.Also is next to Bayswater and Queensway underground stations.
    The price is about 125 Pounds for a double room and continental breakfast.

Unique Quality: has bathroom,T.V.,phone,room service,restaurant,bar,and coffe facilities.

More about Bayswater Inn

Not Bad

I stayed at the Bayswater Inn for 7 nights. We never had a problem with bugs (in fact the only time I saw them was in Hyde Park). The room was small, but wasn't terrible to be in. I liked that they had internet access in the lobby so that I could email my pictures to my family at home. The breakfast was plain and often the bread was hard, but there is a Starbucks around the corner and a grocery store not too far away. I found the conceirge most helpful when I had a booking problem with transfer to the airport. My only complaints were the hard bed (which I was generally too tired to care about) and the fact that we were right by the door to the hallway and the teenagers up the hall would fling the door open so it slammed up against our wall. But, overall I enjoyed my stay there. I loved London!

Cockroaches--need I say more?

I stayed at the Bayswater Inn for 5 nights during the first week of June 2004. The location of the hotel is excellent. It's a short walk to Kensington Park and the nearest tube station is about 5 minutes away. However, that was almost all that was positive about the hotel. It was cheap, but next time I'd spend more money and stay at a better hotel--perferably one without cockroaches. It was disgusting to see them crawling on the floor in the middle of the night. When I woke before the sun came up and went to take a shower I could see them all over the floor.
The sheets were not changed during the 5 nights we were there and the material was very thin and had holes in them. This, along with the hot nights, made the sheets unpleasant after a few nights.
The staff seemed to have difficulties speaking English--which was funny considering it is a British hotel in London. They were friendly enough, but I had difficulty understanding them. The breakfast consisted of rolls (which sometimes were stale) and orange juice. There was a computer in the lobby where you could pay for internet access. The size of the room we had was decent (it was a three person room) on the second floor.

Bad Experience

The staff at the hotel were pleasant enough, but not helpful. We were shocked because our room was terribly small and hot (no fan or air conditioning) the bed was hard and lumpy, and the sheets extremely scratchy. We had a tiny TV with only about 3 stations. The noise level in our room was terrible, we could hear every sound outside our room, laughing and doors slamming into the wee hours of the night! We were given only 2 bath towels, we asked for washcloths or hand towels and were told none were available. There were no amenities, save soap and TP in the bathroom. The Continental breakfast consisted of cold rolls (which were good and they were fresh), with your choice of butter and Jam, the drinks were watered down orange juice and instant coffee...most days we had to go out for breakfast! If ever we were to visit London again, I would certainly stay at a nicer hotel!

Do not go to this dump

First of all, DO NOT GO HERE.When we first arrived we were due to check in at 12pm, we had to wait until 3pm until the rooms were "cleaned".Staff were unhelpful & unfriendly especially the breakfast staff. The breakfast consisted of a bread roll, watered down orange juice & disgusting tea. The reaction we received when asked for a slice of toast from the waitress was rude & unacceptable. After paying £3 for scrambled eggs, one of our group got violently ill.
Even though there was four people staying in our room, they only supplied us with two hand towels and a measley bar of soap for a shower. The bed sheets were not changed, which is unhygienic. The manager was very rude & we would never stay here again even if it was free!

New Linden Hotel - Bayswater

by arianau

I'm going to London for the Notting Hill Carnival in August . I've booked this hotel at londontown.com and just wanted to know if anyone stayed there ?
I've traveled to London many times before but this is the first time I decided to stay in Bayswater and I'll be happy to get some nice hints and tips about the area in general and some opinions about this hotel as I dont really trust the photos showed onlined ;)

thanks a lot

Ariana

Re: New Linden Hotel - Bayswater

by eenelfje

Hey !!

I have often been to London and know that the affordable hotels aren´t all that. Than I discovered Hotel Bayswater Inn.

So for or a few years in a row now I always stayed in Hotel Bayswater in London for the Notting Hill Carnival !!

Its a nice hotel, worth your money for sure. Just what you need, normal rooms, clean, breakfast is ok, safes behind the reception, internet facilities. Thats why I always stay there !

And its a perfect location !! Close to 2 tubestations ! and a two shoppingstreets and a big shoppingmall on the corner. (The shops and shopping mall are also open on Bank Holiday). The hotel though is located just behind the busy streets so its quiet there !

From the hotel its just a 5 minutes walk to the Carnival !! Thats perfect you couldnt be more closer !

So the location is excellent !!

Hotel Bayswater is definately become my favourite hotel in London.

p.s. have a wonderfull time at carnival
I know I did every year !

Re: New Linden Hotel - Bayswater

by TSC

Baywater is quite touristy; the good thing is the late night openning of the shops in the area. There's open air art gallery along the Bayswater Road on Sunday. Don't forget Kensington Palace in Kensington Gardens isn't too far away. Have fun! :-)

Comments