57-59 Philbeach Gardens, Earls Court, London, SW5 9ED, United Kingdom

Agoda.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• DAO's Profile Photo

CRAP REALLY

London is full over bad, shocking, nasty and even scary hotels. This is one of them. When I was walking towards the hotel, I thought ‘what a nice tree lined and quiet residential area’. Approaching the entrance, the hotel looked presentable. Up the stairs and into the ‘lobby’. That’s when I started to think that this was a mistake. The desk area and entrance were very dark. I mean the absence of lights or the absence of replacing light bulbs. I was greeted by a bored Eastern European student. Usually not a good sign. I asked for a quiet room not facing the road and on a high floor. No problem. I then tried to fit into the tiny elevator which then clanged and bounced slowly to the top of the very tall building. Once I was able to drag my suitcase outside of the elevator I had to negotiate the smallest corridors you have ever seen. If there was ever a fire in this place I have no doubt this would be a tragedy in the making. My room was on the very end and virtually impossible to get both the door open and get my suitcase inside. The interior instantly produced a sense of dread. Faded green carpet, tiny room, a bed that looked to be falling apart and a small desk in the corner. On the wall I was greeted by the world’s oldest hairdryer and an ancient TV. A quick look in the bathroom revealed a tiny plastic cubicle that was stained and faded. Only a contortionist could use the toilet and take a shower. It was as small as a phone booth. Possibly smaller.

The best bits were when I examined the bed and opened the window. The second I touched the mattress I knew I would not sleep well and have a backache. Absolutely the cheapest quality spring mattress. Opening the window to get fresh air was a big mistake. I was greeted with the amazing smell of cigarette smoke. Many past residents of my faded little cell had been smokers and most hotels in the UK have been smoke free for years. Not this room! No, they obviously hung out or near the window and the curtains, walls and carpet near the window advertised this fact. Despite looking out onto some tress and a quiet area – I had to shut the window on a warm day. Given there was no chance of air-conditioning it was either swelter or smell. I chose sweating as the healthier option.

Breakfast was included, but I really had no desire to find out what they could muster up in the morning. I fled in the morning and was so tired at work that it was mentioned by 2 senior managers to me. Not good.

So what else is wrong with this place? It is a very far walk to the nearest anything. Shops, restaurants, bars, anything.

Please note:
    I keep mentioning struggling to get my ‘suitcase’ in doors and through corridors. This is a small cabin-sized roller bag. It’s in one of the pictures and you can truly see how small the room is.

My advice – pay a little more and get a much better hotel than here.

Directions: TUBE:
    Earl’s Court (District, Piccadilly)

More about London

Oyster Card, London, UK.Oyster Card, London, UK.

King's Cross St Pancras from the Bristish LibraryKing's Cross St Pancras from the Bristish Library

Regent park.Regent park.

Berwick Street marketBerwick Street market

changing of the horse guard

by Cricket808285

I have heard that the changing of the horse guard is better than the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. However, I cannot find exactly where it starts. Can anyone tell me the location of the start and also the best place to view it? Can you follow along or is one spot the best for viewing?
Thanks in advance.

by johnfromoz

It takes place at Horse Guards Parade ground, in Horse guards road which runs off The Mall at the eastern end of St James Park. The best place to view it is on the eastern side of the parade ground where you will find a roped off area. Do not stand at the western side of the ropes as they move them when the horses enter the roped off area causing all sorts of pushing & shoving as people are forced to move to avoid the incoming horses. If you arrive 15 minutes before the start time of 11am you should be able to secure a good viewing position, stay put & enjoy the whole show just metres away

by leics

The changeover takes place at 10am on Sundays, 11am every other day.

There's a small mention at the bottom of this page:

and map and a bit more info here:

by Cricket808285

Thank you both so much for your reply. I look forward to watching it.

Travel Tips for London

Don't Feed the Pidgeons

by Peterodl

I would advise against feeding the pidgeons in Trafalger Square outside of the National Gallery.
I came across this woman as I was exiting the gallery and she had been feeding the birds. The birds started swarming and hopping onto her shoulders and head and she finally gave up and tried to walk away quickly but the pidgeons followed her until she was across the street.
Quite a funny scene for myself and the others who were witnessing it.

EasyInternetCafe

by Peterodl

I used the EasyInternetCafe services while in London. The prices were some of the most reasonable that I found and there is always a free spot to use.

I would buy a 5 day pass with unlimited internet use for 7 pounds at the Tottingham Court Road site just off Oxford Street.

You are only able to use the pass you buy at the site that you bought it at. If I went to another location in London other than the Tottingham site, I'd have to buy a different pass there.
You can buy 1/2 hour, hourly passes at the going rate at the time you buy them (prices vary somewhat during the day.) Or you can buy 24 hour, 5 day, 7 day passes up to 30 days.

The service is very easy to use and in many of the locations there are food services offered. At the Tottingham location there is a package delivery service and a Subway restaurant.

London in one or two days

by tvor

I have an old guidebook to London that was published during World War II. There's a small insert piece of paper that explains that due to the war, they cannot publish the full set of maps they usually do. There is only one fold out city center map with the underground stations marked and some of the main streets. What really makes me laugh, though is their suggestions for itineraries for one or two days' sightseeing. I really don't know how you could fit it all in! Surely they don't suggest you do all these things? I wonder if they're saying that any or several of these for morning and afternoon would be sufficient though they do mention that it's a "very hurried day". I expect you could do it if you were just walking past all these sights and not going inside. To reproduce it:

One Day. Morning:
National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Whitehall (passing Gov't Offices, Royal Unitied Services museum and the cenotaph), Parliament, Westminster Abbey and cathedral, Buckingham Palace (exterior), St. James's Park, London Museum Lancaster House, St. James's Palace (exterior).

Lunch in the Piccadilly or Leicester Square area. (phew!)

Afternoon: Regent, Oxford Streets, Wallace Collection, Drive thru Hyde Park, Kens. Gdns, Piccadilly, Royal Academy, British Museum, Lincoln's Inn walk, Law Courts and Temple, Fleet Street, Ludgate Hill, St. Paul's
They go on to suggest dinner and theatre if you are staying overnight.

An Alternative might be:

Morning: Twr London, Monument, Bank of England, Royal Exchange, Guildhall, Cheapside, St. Paul's. Lunch. Law Courts, Temple Gardens, Embankment, County Hall, Parliament, Westminster Abbey, National Gallery (open evenings of certain days).

A bit more doable. Two days:
First Day:
Charing Cross, National Gallery and Portrait Gallery, Whitehall, Parliament, County Hall, Westminster Abbey (Lunch) War Museum, Lambeth Palace exterior, Tate Britain, Westminster Cathedral, St. James's Park, London Museum, Green and Hyde Parks, V&A museum, Nat. Hist. and Science Museums.
Second Day:
Twr. London, Monument, Royal Exchange, Bank, Guildhall, Cheapside, St. Paul's, (lunch) Holborn, British Museum, Oxford St., Wallace Collection, Regent's Park, Zoo

Longer stays suggest things like the Dulwich Picture Gallery, the "new" Horniman museum, Windsor, Hampton Court, Kew, Richmond, Epping Forest, Croyden Airport

Oh yes, that's the main international airport, Croyden. In another old book i have, published in the 50's, it mentions London Airport (Heathrow) that is under construction. In that book, the Museum of London has moved to a wing of Kensington Palace.

Old guidebooks are fascinating!

Shopping in London
You will...

by Pierre_Rouss

Shopping in London
You will find loads of stuff to buy in London. Each area has its own speciality. As in any big city, I wouldn't dream of finding them all, it's a life long quest. Above is an alley found in the financial district with antics, art galleries, jewelery stores, a bit pricy but what the heck, a little dreaming is never a bad thing.

Visit the BAFTA Awards

by scottishvisitor

London's Leicester Square is host to the British Academy Film & Television Awards. Our first day in London we saw the technicians setting up - covering the grassed square with walk boards. We arrived a bit too late to see very much the next evening - the crowds were huge! We did see the celebs arriving, although a bit dissapointing - I expected stretched limos but just private cars & taxis drove by. Not wanting to push in we wandered around & managed a snap of Ruby Wax - on a television monitor Ha Ha

Comments