Belvedere Hotel

Satisfaction Average

Costs 39% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• Paris92's Profile Photo

Above and Beyond

It's not glam, the housekeeping could be a tad better, and you can hear through the walls but frankly I'll stay there again if only for the reason that on the night my passport was stolen the hotel manager was incredible. A friend was also staying at the Belvedere and helping me go back and forth between the hotel, the police station, and the neighborhood trash cans. Long story short the hotel manager literally left the hotel to go find me and my friend in the neighborhood when the police called to say they recovered my purse so that we could stop looking in all the neighborhood trash bins. Really above and beyond if you ask me. When you do something like that I don't really care what size the rooms are.

Unique Quality: Not the greatest neighborhood but SO close to the Paddington train station and within very short walking distance to Internet cafes, drug stores, grocery stores, etc. This was really great especially as I was just getting my bearings in a new city and didn't have to wander the streets looking for places to eat, etc.

Directions: A very short walk from Paddington station. Make sure you check your map carefully--there is a Norfolk Crescent farther away (that was marked as Norfolk Square on my map) and you don't want to walk more than you have to with heavy luggage.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

More budget lodging near Paddington Station

I booked my accomodations just shortly after Prince William & Kate announced their wedding date, all of the chain budget hotels were booked so I looked at places up near Paddington Station where I knew that there would be something available. They hadn't upped their prices for the wedding, either I booked too quickly or they simply aren't gougers. I was going to try Priceline just before the wedding but a friend ended up booking at the same place so I kept the reservation.

I booked a single room but think I ended up with a double since my bed could have fit two reasonably sized people. My traveling companion ended up with a room on the ground level, I got room 10 which is up three flights of stairs, there is no elevator so if you are unable to climb stairs with your luggage I would contact the hotel before you book and make sure you can get a room on the ground floor. There were even more rooms higher than mine and there is no lift.

There was a bit of noise from the street and you could hear the trains from Paddington on the ground floor. The walls were a bit thin but my neighbors weren't too noisy.

Unique Quality: The hotel was just a 5 minute walk from Paddington Station, the directions on booking.com made it look much farther away.

The room was on the small side but certainly large enough for me and my luggage. The bed wasn't the most comfortable I've ever slept on but it was fine for a week. There was a TV with a decent amount of channels and tea service in the room.

The bathroom was also quite small, the water pressure in the shower was fine and there was plenty of hot water. The only toiletry that was provided was a bar of soap and a small towel. There was a hair dryer in the room and I believe they had an iron you could borrow.

Breakfast was included in my rate and they gave you a full English breakfast with over easy eggs, toast, sausage, bacon and beans plus tea, coffee, juice and cereal. Most mornings I could sit down with no problem.

You had to buzz to get into the hotel 24 hours a day which made the hotel reasonably secure. The desk staff was polite and helpful, you could leave your bags on the day of checkout up until 2pm without charge but you left them in the small lobby of the hotel which I guess is as secure as anywhere since the desk clerks never leave.

My satisfied rating means that the hotel was exactly what I expected, a clean, basic, well located hotel. I wouldn't stay here or any of the other budget hotels in the area if Priceline bidding was an option but if I booked again during a busy period I would probably stay here again.

Directions: From Paddington Station go east on Praed Street to London Street, turn right and then turn left on the 1st corner which is Norfolk Square. The Belvedere is almost at the other end of the square

Comments