Berkeley Court

Satisfaction Terrible

More about London

Greenwich ObservatoryGreenwich Observatory

Mail Boxes Etc - Nottinghill GateMail Boxes Etc - Nottinghill Gate

The Albert Memorial, very hard to get a good photoThe Albert Memorial, very hard to get a good photo

In front of the phone boxIn front of the phone box

Suggestions for short term accommodation in London?

by Annapnp

I live in Germany and I'll be going to London for 2 weeks in early November, for a workshop/research on my work. I've been looking for single studio flat/flat sharing in zones' 1-2 area, but i find it quite hard seeing that I will have very limited time to view properties once I get there. I was wondering if there are any trustworthy letting agencies that could, well, make things easier for me. I want something quite affordable (preferably less than 200GBP pw) and safe mostly. Do you have any other suggestions as to where to stay/where to look, considering my situation?
Thank you for any answers, in advance.

by alza

Hi Anna,
I don't know what you've been looking at but if you haven't seen this website, it may be useful:

As you'll see, they offer private accommodations, starting 110 pounds per week, in Zones 1-2.
Their contact form must be used to check availability -- act quickly as early November is soon. The form allows you to list your special concerns or wishes, and the firm sounds helpful by promising to reply to any queries.
You could inform them of the location of your workshop, so they can propose suitable accommodation in the vicinity.

I'm not from London, I found this website by doing a quick search. You may get more advice from VT members who know the temporary rental situation in London well. But I thought you'd like to start with this.

Good luck finding a place and with your workshop!

by leics

I don't know the site Alza mentions but for a stay of only a fortnight in London you are, in effect, looking for holiday accommodation. Short-term lettings in the UK are really aimed at stays of a month+. I suspect anyone looking for someone to share a flat will be wanting a longer-term tenant.

Have a look at the official tourist info site, which lists all available information:

www.visitlondon.com/accommodation

and also google for 'london short lets'. You will find plenty of websites which will give you an idea of what is on offer.

Your budget is a bit low for any type of weekly accommodation in central London other than hostels, so you might also want to investigate www.couchsurfing.com (or .org).

by hawkhead

I am going through exactly the same search as yourself but for later on. Our usual place charges £30/day more during May than over the winter, so needs must! The cheapest place I have found is for £270/week plus a £200 deposit.I am afraid it is a case of just sitting down and doing the finger work!! However, using google to search using "self-catering London", "holiday accommodation London", "budget accommodation London", perhaps laterooms.com, ownersdirect.com, trustedapartments.co.uk,holidays.co.uk, etc. will perhaps shorten the search. I think you will be fortunate to find anything for less than £200/week but you might be lucky with the site already given plus using a flat-share site; however, most flat shares are looking for longer lengths of time. From the middle of November until round about Christmas the price of accommodation goes up quite considerably, as a lot of people come into the capital for Christmas shopping, shows and so on. Just had a thought, you could also try all the hostels - not our sort of accommodation but I seem to remember that I saw rooms with a shared bathroom for as low as £20. Google "hostels London".

Travel Tips for London

Horse Drawn Barges in Berkhampstead

by BritPatJax

You can go on a horse drawn barge and see the scenery changes whilst sitting in comfort and enjying a meal. The Barges are stable and safe and easy to board and travel slowly and a re a great way to see thatched cottages etc. As a soldier in London I got to drive for the Queen and my story of that day is documented on American Chronicle. google 'patrick lockyer' to find all my articles and videos. Below stairs Buckingham Palace is like a factory with bare walls and floors and a red London telephone box right there in the corridor. the launderette and the silver cleaning room and such are all located there.

The Double Decker Bus Company...

by ichi

The Double Decker Bus Company to see London at a glance. Great value at 12 pounds, (inc River Cruise to the Tower). You can hop on and off all day. You get commentary via live person or headphones. Particulary good if it is raining. Harrods Food Section was very nice. Pity I didn't get any photo's! Please go to my Website on my trip at 210.226.130.204 (no www, just digits after the http)

US Embassy

by alucas

You might well be surprised ! Yes, the US Embassy is in Grosvenor Square. But this building at the top of Portland Place WAS the US Embassy - albeit only briefly from 1863 to 1866.

I have walked past this building dozens of times, but only read the plaque properly the other day.

Henry Brooks Adams was an American historian, journalist and novelist, who was also private secretary to his father when he was United States Minister to the United Kingdom. For more about him have a look at Wikepedia

London

by djbiskit

This is a picture of one of the arcades off of Picadilly Street. I liked the Christmas decorations, and the fact that its just a long hall leading to another street, which is something im not used to seeing.

The 'not so little' red postbox in Jermyn Street

by Jenniflower

They are all over London, down every side street and around every corner.

London's red post box :)

Synomonous with London history and culture, they have been around for a long time! This particular post box is found in Jermyn Street, just off Picadilly Street.

Jermyn Street is a very smart street, where there are many gentleman shops.. with really expensive gentleman's things! Suits with all accessories, shaving equipment, hats, you name it, it is here.

I walk down here every day, and when the business premesis of the company I work at first moved here, I thought 'oh great! I can get presents for my husband from these shops!'... then I looked a little closer into those perfect shiney windows with brass trimmings, with the stiff-looking salesmen eyeing me out from inside... and realised that I wouldn't be doing ANY gift-buying from here anytime soon! haha

Anyway, this postbox is the one that sees all my many Christmas cards and post throughout the year.. it works hard! :)

Comments