Best Western Paddington Court Hotel And Suites

BEST WESTERN Shaftesbury Paddington Court London
Travelocity Hotels.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 71% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• A hotel in Paddington that tries really hard!!

This hotel looks really good on the surface, and the reality isn't that hot. I liked this hotel with the doorman and help with the luggage. Hotel policy stated upfront that the room must be paid for on check in....hmmmm.
    I open the curtains and look into a delivery alley and a window that I couldn't get open. It had a very fancy thermostat that I couldnt get to work, and ended up turning the A/C off and on; really nice that they have it, but come on! I also had a bedside lamp that didn't have a button to turn it on or a switch on the wall. You plug the key card into the wall to turn on the overhead lights, even the ones in the bathroom, but you can't turn them off without turning them all off. Hmmmmm. So the lights in the bathroom had to be on the whole time, yet they encourage us to recycle our towels to 'save the environment'. The shower was super tiny, and granted I'm not the smallest girl, but unless you shower with your arms at your side, you would still get bruises trying to turn around and wash your hair. The super large television on the wall was nice but slow, and the internet cord(yes, I said cord) was super short and still cut in and out.
    I appreciate that they just went through a major renovation, but when the room is too complicated to use, and didn't actually seem to improve the actual stay, thats just rediculous. It looks great on the outside but in reality not that impressive. I might stay here again, the proximity to Paddington and the Heathrow transport is second to none. I'm not exactly a fan of the Paddington area though, too touristy(yeah, I know, Pot, kettle) and always full of people and overpriced everything.

• someguy3ca's Profile Photo

London's worst hotel

This is possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The service was brutal. I arrived in London at 7 a.m. and I could not check in until 2 p.m. I made a reservation for a room with 2 beds (because I was meeting my cousin) and they gave me a room with one bed. When I went back to the reception to ask for a room with 2 beds the guy snapped at me. Then he looked at my reservation and noticed he made a mistake. When I finally got into my room the fire alarm went off.
    The next morning I went to get my free breakfast. There were 2 line ups for the breakfast downstairs, and one of the waiters sat me down not realizing other people were waiting in the other line longer then I was. Then right in front of me the head waiter exploded at the waiter who told me where to sit. Customer service was just brutal. Avoid this dump at all costs.

More about Best Western Paddington Court Hotel And Suites

Do not stay here whatever you do!!!!!!

The Best Western Paddington needs to have any association with Best Western terminated at everyones convenience. The hotel has a wonderful location that suited my girlfriend and I quite well because we are avid runners. Hyde Park is just a short walk down the street and perfect for running. The Hotel is quite repulsive to the eye once a guest darkens the doorstep of this quagmire. The desk staff speaks little English and seems more inconvenienced by a guests presence than anything. The first room we received was a smoking room (not what was reserved) and the evidence of smoking was ripe in the air, carpet, comforter, curtains, and anything that could hold a scent. The comforter had burn holes all over it and was complete with a permanent depression from the last bed smoking beheamoth. Upon bringing this to the attention of the desk staff they suggested another room. Alas perhaps something good can come about this. No chance however, room#2 fared somewhat better though despite it's immensely tiny size. The entire stay we had to yield and signal our intentions as we moved around the room. It was much like living in a doll house I imagine. The light fixtures must have been hung with the cheapest hardware imaginable because their collosal weight stripped them right from the wall and consequently dangled precariously above the bed by the remaining screw. The bathroom was good except for the shower which was so small it was like taking a shower in a phone booth. The shower curtain would cling to your back like a vinyl skin the entire time one was in the shower. The heater was stuck on and the only relief was from a window that could only be opened 4 inches to let air in. The hotel decided to screw the windows shut at this height so there would be no escaping to more comfortable lodging in the area. The dilemma of a fire presents the most challenging moment for a guest because this hotel is quite literally a rat maze. The fifth day of our stay marked a moment in trip milestones because I had finally remembered how to find the exit to the street. It is this bad, if a fire were to happen guests would never find their way out. The Paddington is a converted rowhouse which presents navigation problems even without smoke, confusion, and panic. This hotel is OK for those wishing to spend as little time as possible in it, perhaps even sleeping there. The first night we spent sleeping in our running clothes so that no exposed skin would come in contact with the bed, blankets, comforter, or pillows.

Minimalist Hotels Incorporated

This being my first trip to London, I had no initial basis of comparison on choosing a hotel to stay at, but because of Best Western's price and quality here in the states I assumed things were the same overseas. And that's what I get for assuming. I am 5'11 and 155 pounds, so it shouldn't be a problem for me to navigate from point A to point B in any situation, even a cramped one, but the traffic areas of the hotel were downright unsurmountable. Comments about the shower were primarily true from my experience save for the flooding issues. However, I did have an extremely intimate relationship with the shower curtain by the end of my stay as it insisted on clinging to my body every five seconds. Channel lineup on televisions is basic but understandably so; if I recall correctly, we had a total of 13 options including cable radio broadcasts.

Location is a definite benefit for this hotel; walking to the tube station took less than 10 minutes and there were more than enough ATMs and restaraunts as well as one breakfast stop that made one killer Peppermint tea (located along the main road connecting hotel to Paddington tube station). I chose to eat breakfast outside of the hotel after I realized that the concept of "continental breakfast" consisted of nothing more than microscopic pastries, dried cereal, milk, and juice. Any additional options must be ordered from the waiter/waitress at cost. Portions are meager at best and for the price, the external breakfast eatery made several quality English breakfasts with faster, friendlier service and bigger portions.

Along the lines of service, guests at this hotel can safely assume they will not maintain a first-name basis with anybody working. For personal reasons, I detest their night crew simply on the premise that I had mistakenly taken a wrong bus and wound up all the way out in Chiswick at 1AM and upon calling the hotel in pursuit of a cab (none were to be found in sight), I was simply shrugged off and left to my own devices...dress shoes and a minimum of four miles' walk. When my guardians who were positively grief-stricken over my absence at such a late hour confronted the front desk, they appeared unfazed. Maid service appears to disregard our preference of a different location for the wastecans as each time we returned to the room the wastebaskest were reset to their default location.

In short, there are far better places you can room at if only for a smaller amount more, but the quality is exponentially different. Upon return from Munich to London, we changed our stay to the Millenium Gloucester and were positively blown away by the difference. Our shower was no longer a cubicle, beds were comfortable (even the cot they had brought in for me considering the only non-smoking room they had left was a double was easy to sleep in), TV listings were far more expansive and distance to the tube was more than cut in half. Also, they had a fitness center, EXTREMELY expansive continental breakfast and very friendly staff. I don't recall a time I had to open the front doors or walk into the hotel unassisted. For those who still yearn for American food, there's a Burger King less than five minutes away. All these reasons added up make it unmistakably obvious that the Best Western Paddington Court does not even possess the ability of gaining a two-star review. Websites meant for planning trips should update their four-star rating accordingly.

Miserable , dishonest property!!!

After a typical overnite flight from the US, we presented to the front desk at appox 0930 hrs. We were told that our "room" would be available by 1130 hrs. We understand this is the norm, and no big deal. We were instructed to wait in the lounge. We sat in this room until after 1430 hrs with about 30+ other people who had been told the same story or had screwed up reservations of some sort. As the growing number of waiting people grew (to the point of an overfull luggage room) the staff cheerfully checked in travel agents and their families!!!! Finally, we we reached our room we found it to be substandard, dirty, and somewhat dishoveled. We have traveled Europe extensively and found this property to be the biggest dissappointment we have encountered! Perhaps the benches at Paddington Station would have been more accommidating???

Get what you pay for....

Having booked this hotel before I had read the review page, I nearly changed the booking, the hotel is ideally situated near Paddington, so easy access to Underground, however that is all it is convenient for.The room was tiny (and us British are used to smallish rooms), the bed uncomfortable, no bath in en suite, the shower ran like a tap and flooded the bathroom (they did change it!), the bathroom itself you had to side step into as door was so narrow.Breakfast - had to pay extra for a hot breakfast (not worth the ?4.50), was served "cups of tea", no pots of anything! very basic.Not one member of staff ever said "good morning or good evening" apart from a laundry boy on the final morning.Next time we're staying at the Hilton, Paddington.

Bad hotel.

Terrible hotel. Quite expensive, but not good value for the money. The hotel is a maze. I actually got lost on my first attempt to leave the hotel. Had to write down the route through the hotel (Ok, that can have its charm). Room was very small. Shower was almost unusable: way too small and not much water. Breakfast buffet almost doesn't show any choices. Neighbourhood is Ok. Would not stay there again.

Did the job

by TripAdvisor Member SeanWorcesterUK

These critical reviews are completely unfair. I spent 4 days staying here while working in London and the hotel was absolutely fine. It was warm, quiet, comfortable and above all - clean. Many hotels in London keep you awake with constant traffic and sirens all night long. It was peaceful here. The stations are nearby. There are lots of restaurants nearby. The area is pleasant and safe. The staff are friendly and helpful. The restaurant serves reasonable food and is cheap. If you want a big room and lots of grovelling personal attention then pay 4 times as much and go elsewhere, but if you want a reasonable and perfectly decent deal, this hotel is absolutely fine. I have been in really nasty flea pits that cost much more. This hotel is a pleasant place to go with nice friendly staff. Don't take any notice of the carping arrogant whining Americans - this hotel is civilised.

Not my cup of tea

In full agreement with the negative reviews offered by my fellow carping arrogant whining Americans and other discriminating travelers:

The Good : Proximity to Paddington Station; safe neighborhood

The Bad : Unhelpful staff; billing dispute (didn't want to honor the rate on my booking confirmation)

The Ugly : Rooms. "Small" would be an improvement. Hallways. Did someone mention a rat maze?

Comments