Best Western Phoenix Hotel London

DAO's Profile Photo

GOOD HOTEL ON A BUSY LONDON ROAD

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 5, 2015

This is a reasonable hotel in a reasonable place and that’s about it. I would recommend that you book early and insist on a rear-facing room, otherwise you have lots of traffic outside your window on a busy road. When I arrived I was greeted pleasantly and they even confirmed that I could get a drink from the lobby bar 24 hours a day. Nice touch. My room was up on the 3rd floor and it was interesting. It was tall and narrow. I had to walk up stairs to get to my comfortable bed. There was a desk up in the loft-like area. There was also a desk and TV up these. Cool. I had a luggage holder and plenty of closet space back downstairs. The bathroom was tiny, but worked, as long as I moved slowly. The best thing was that it was quiet at night and my bed was very good. I just had traffic noise in the morning so no chance of a lie-in.

The hotel is a healthy walk from Paddington station, but there are lots of dinning and drinking options in the neighbourhood. There are also plenty of corner shops as well.

All in all it’s an OK hotel and had I not checked in late, I would have had a quieter room on the back.

Unique Quality:

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 125 rooms on 4 floors – all are en-suite and there is an elevator
• Breakfast is included (continental breakfast)
• Smoking rooms available (very rare in London)
• Wi-Fi available in common areas
• Good location
• Bar – open 24 hours for hotel guests
• Quiet on the back of the hotel

• No car parking

ROOMS:
• Room types: Single, Twin, Double and Triple
• Tea and coffee making facilities
• En-suite with toiletries
• Free Wi-Fi
• Non-smoking and smoking rooms
• TV, hairdryer, radio and phone
• Desk, chair, luggage holder, closet

Directions:
TUBE & TRAIN:
• Queensway (Central Line) and Bayswater (Circle, District)
• Paddington Station/Heathrow Express
(Bakerloo, Circle, District, Hammersmith & City, First Great Western)

christine.j's Profile Photo

A very nice place to stay

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 12, 2008

Update 2011:
In early January I stayed here again, this time in a single as I was on my own. I had booked far in advance, taking advantage of a super special - I paid about £ 48 for my single ,ensuite , including English breakfast.
The room was small, but perfectly adequate, it had everything I needed. The Westland would have had larger rooms, but the price was unbeatable. This really is a very good place to stay in London.

In 2007 we stayed there for the second time. Just a few steps from Bayswater tube station, this is a very nice hotel.Their doubles are adequately large (which for London means you can move without bumping into each other), nice bathroom and a good, continental breakfast. Their singles are smaller of course, but still large enough. They cost, however, almost as much as a double.(For about 6 Euro you can take a friend along).

The hotel has a locked luggage room, where they let you store your bags after check-out. Many hotels let you do this, but often they tell you to put your bags somewhere near the reception. They may be there when you come back or they may not. In the Phoenix hotel you need someone to open the door for you or to give you the key, a much safer way for storage.

The hotel is just a few meters away from Whiteleys Shopping Mall, very convenient for last minute souvenirs.

Directions: Bayswater Tube station, then turn left twice.

You must get a tub at the Phoenix!!!

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 14, 2005

I chose this hotel based on the location I wanted for this particular trip to London, and the fact that I had Best Western Gift Cards to spend!! It was really nice to be within walking distance of Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park, have a Tescos Express a few blocks away, not to mention the Bayswater tube station.
However, I will mention that the rates to use the telephone were absolutely horrible!! I mean, most hotels are going to charge you crazy rates, but given that this hotel is part of world wide chain, I would expect to at least have free local calls!! So don't forget to buy your phone card at one of the little shops on Queensway, and if you can, use a payphone!!
Also the breakfast is continental, if you want a big British fry-up, the full meal deal is 10 pounds!!

Unique Quality: What I really liked about this hotel was the bathtub, of all things!! It was long enough to lie down in, and the bathroom was really clean!! They also had full sized bath towels, which is one of the little things in a hotel that I really appreciate. Also, the single room that I had looked out the back of the hotel, not exactly a pretty view, but very quiet, which also was greatly appreciated!!
UPDATE: I checked into this hotel again, a year and a half later, and it turns out that the great bathtubs are not available in 'single' rooms. So I have a shower this time. Which wasn't bad, but I was bitterly disappointed not to have the tub!!

Directions: Coming off the Bayswater or Queensway tube, go north on Queensway, turn left on Porchester Gardens for one block. Its on the south side of Kensington Gardens Square(which is also good to tell your cab driver, since most of Kens. Gardens Sq. is one-way)

5 Photos of Best Western Phoenix Hotel London

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Portobello Road and Notting Hill
Public Buses
Taxis
Transportation
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Driving in London
Soho and the West End
The Thames
Food Vendors
Warnings and Dangers
Public Transport (not taxis)
Chiquito, Leicester Square