Britannia Hampstead Hotel London

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 24% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• sparkieplug24's Profile Photo

Great staff not so good dinners

I have stayed in hotels all over Europe and have stayed in various ones in London some excellant, some good, some not so good and some terrible.

This hotel was not the worst I have ever stayed in but certainly wasn't excellant by any standards.

Firstly I will start with the positives of which there where a few. The staff where friendly helpful and always smiling and the hotel was in a quiet location a short walk from several shopping areas and near London zoo and Hampstead heath. We were in a room on the second floor 217 this room was large in size and was clean especially the sheets and the bathroom. The breakfast was wonderful really enjoyed this

Now for the negatives of which there were quite a few unfortunatley which is a shame. the furniture in the rooms was old and really in need of being upgraded there was a nice seating area in the room ruined by the fact the chairs really needed to be refurbished. There where loads of drawer space in the room shame some of the drawers where falling to bits to be perfectly frank I have thrown out better looking furniture. The bathroom was clean but the bath realy could do with being replaced the shower also wasnt the best but it worked and the water was warm. Now for the dinner which was my main gripe and Im talking the buffet dinner not the bar meals which always looked nice when I saw people eating them. First two nights the dinner was not very good cold watery soup, dried out meats, although the salmon was nice not the best Ive tasted but nice. Also I was not very impressed with the desserts either very little choice. the food improved on the last two nights but I think this was due to a few compaints from fellow guests. The bar wasn't cheap either but not as expensive as some others in London.

We were staying at this hotel as part of a coach tour meals where included and it was okay but not brilliant but I would stay again if the price was right as some things they did great just some little things they did badly.

In a nutshell the hotel was clean, in a quiet area of London with hardworking staff not the best but not the worst London has to offer. Also the hotel is about ten minute walk from chalk farm tube station its a flat easy walk but not ideal for elderly or disabled people but their is a bus stop located right outside the hotel. if I had paid the full rate of £110 per night room only I would have been extremly disappointed and if they are going to charge that much for dinner they really need to buy better quality meat and offer more choices. With a little TLC this could be a very good if not excellant hotel the potential is there for this with a little bit of work.

One little tip request a room thats NOT in the basements these do not have windows and Ive seen a few people complain they are too hot.

Unique Quality: Its a quiet area of London and there is a tube station withing 10 minutes walk of the hotel. Its near the zoo and it does serve bar meals as well as the buffet menus and these seemed nice.

Directions: hamstead heath area of London

• DAO's Profile Photo

ONLY STAY HERE IN WINTER

This is a typical Britannia Hotel. It has reasonable rooms, beds, facilities, good basic breakfast buffet, free newspapers and friendly staff. I have stayed here a few times, but would never dream of staying here from April to October. The rooms are absolute ovens. During the winter, this is a good thing. Stay here in the wrong month and you have no chance. The cheaper rooms are in the basement and have no windows. If you choose the ones under the conference/ball room (south side of the hotel) you will get silence and a good night's sleep. Rooms 19 & 20 are the best ones in the hotel for this. Unless it’s too hot. I learned this the hard way and sweated through the night. I even had my own electric fan. Definitely something to pack for staying in London.

Other than that, this is good value for money. It’s an easy 5-8 minute walk to the Tube, restaurants, shops and pubs. It is also on a quiet street at night. Rooms area bit basic, but with good towels, plenty of water pressure and the basic needs of a hotel room.

At night you can enjoy a reasonable restaurant, good bar and even live sports on TV. The staff are always friendly and anything requested, like an ironing board, arrives promptly. So if you have to work in London or are on a budget during the winter – this is a good hotel.

Stay here in summer and you will fry.

Unique Quality:

OVERVIEW:

• 121 Bedrooms – all are en-suite
    • Free newspapers
    • Bar and restaurant
    • 7 Meeting rooms and 3 Conference/Meeting/Banqueting rooms
    • Wi-Fi (free in common areas, chargeable in the rooms)
    • Luggage room
    • Pet friendly
    • Smoking rooms available

Rooms:
    • Standard Rooms have:
    - Coffee/tea making facilities
    - Bath and shower with toiletries
    - TV, telephone, hairdryer, closet, trouser press, free newspaper
    - Some single rooms have a balcony and some doubles have a desk/chair
    • Executive Rooms have:
    - All the same as standard plus a desk and chair
    • Studio rooms:
    - As above with a double bed
    - Additional seating area

Restaurant and Bar:
    - Reasonable evening food and the hot breakfast is a Full English buffet
    - Bar is fully stocked, has cold draft beers and snacks, wine list
    - Lunch only served on Sundays
    - Bar open to residents until the last one goes to bed

Car Parking:
    - No reservations possible – first come, first served
    - Chargeable

Directions:
    TUBE AND BUS:
    • Chalk Farm Tube Station (Northern Line - Edgware Branch)
    • Bus Number C11 stops right in front of the hotel

More about Britannia Hampstead Hotel London

Not 4 star

by TripAdvisor Member PowerPlant53

Booked the Britannia International with Alpharooms.com 3 months in advance and paid up front. Received our voucher by e-mail and had no more correspondence.
We arrived on the due date on the due time, only to be told that there was no room at the Inn!
Apparently, at the time of the booking (in September) their system was down and a double booking occurred! 3 months in advance remember and no further correspondence.
They sent us to their other hotel, "of the same standard (4*)", but no pool, "but they would make it nice for us". This hotel was the Britannia Hampstead. It was NOT 4*, I would have been pushed to give it 3*. We received a bottle of wine to "make it nice", which was not very nice at all!
The room was a smoking room - not requested by us! The smell in the corridor was bad, but even worse in the room! There was stains on the carpet, and on the wardrobe door, the lamp was not working, there was old, old furniture, frayed bedspread - no duvet, campbed for the child that sagged in the middle, no view of the Thames as we booked! The view was condensation on the windows, complete with mildew.
We were not the only people to be moved, speaking to other people at breakfast, showed that they too had been moved after arriving at 9.00am and told that their room was not ready and to go shopping for the day, it would be ready when they got back! They arrived back in the evening to discover that there was no room, that they had doubled booked!!!
When we arrived at the International, it was very, very busy with people wearing badges, there was clearly a conference taking place a the hotel, and we believe that they took our bookings. The International clearly thought that it was okay to lose our bookings for the conference - probably for a lot more money!
We will never book with Britannia again or Alpharooms.
We thought that we would take it up with Alpharooms when we got home as we booked with them and paid them in advance. However, they don't accept responsibility. You have to take it up with the hotel at the time!
Totally spoilt our weekend.

Absolutely horrific, horrible place, never again

by TripAdvisor Member alexmanchester

Really this place is quite horrible.

If you are on a budget, I strongly advise avoiding this place and sticking with Ibis, travelodge type places.

I've stayed there three or four times, as my company has an account with Britannia hotels. Each time has been horrific.

The rooms are not just shabby and outdated, but dirty and smelly. I'm a smoker, but I was knocked back by the stale stench greeting me in one of the rooms.

Each bathroom I have been in has been really quite disgusting, with bad housekeeping: hairs in the bath, poo in the loo and so on.

The beds are uncomfortable and the breakfast very poor.

Avoid at all costs.

Fantastic location, rooms OK

by TripAdvisor Member Monor

I have just returned from a Christmas Package booked through Shearings. After reading other reviews I was prepared for the worst and even took my own air freshener! However the room was OK. The wallpaper is dated but the facilities were fine. In fact we had 15 drawers. The bathroom was fine, there were tea and coffee making facilities and a trouser press. The only downside was that the windows were covered in condensation every morning.
What makes this hotel stand out for me is the location. You can walk to the top of Primrose Hill in 5 minutes and see the whole of London displayed in front of you. Then you can carry on to the canal and walk by Regents Park Zoo to Camden Lock. The markets there are fabulous and the place is buzzing.
The hotel did not really seem geared up for the three coachloads of people so the meals were a bit hit and miss. The staff were helpful but overworked and not properly oganised and sometimes the food ran out.
The evening entertainment was very good indeed.
I would certainly consider returning and using the hotel as a base to visit London.

what on earth is all the fuss about?... jeeeezzzz

by TripAdvisor Member geordie_couple

booked this hotel for 3 nights from 21st December through to Christmas Eve..... were visiting family so we booked through the hotel website on their 'visit friends and family scheme' (or something to that effect)....

the hotel is in primrose hill (excellent location), about a ten minute walk from chalk farm underground station.... or a minute on the number 31 bus across the road from the station.... (this bus couldn't be more frequent... runs every couple of minutes as far as we could tell)......

ok.. the hotel... hotel staff were pleasant, courteous, knew their job... the room was large, we were not falling over each other.... ok the furniture was not claridges but then we were not paying claridges money either... housekeeping was good, towels changed each day, room cleaned perfectly..... if we had any criticism it was that the shower was not very powerful.... however... there was a bath so not a huge problem.....

the best part.. the bill.... £89 for three nights!!!!!... now tell me... where can you get three nights in a perfectly adequate hotel for that money in the centre of london.... you can't ... believe me.. we know.. we have tried them all.......and some that supposedly had very good reputations did not come up to the standard of this hotel......

i have only one this to say to counter the criticism laid upon this hotel...... get a life!!!

good hotel given a bad name

by TripAdvisor Member laughingirl57

I totally agree with the last review of this hotel, I have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel with my boyfriend and we wish we had made it 3 nights.
I too booked the visiting family and friends offer @£29 a night, staff on arrival were pleasant and checked us in in minutes, having read previous reviews of this hotel I was dubious about the rooms but having read reviews for other hotels before and then gone and stayed in them I have found that some people want hilton hotels for travelodge money. anyway the room was fab,we even had a chandelier. good wardrobe and drawer space and even tho we had a room facing the street which is a main road, traffic noise was no problem. Didn't eat or drink there as we went to london to do camden and hampstead restuarant and pubs but menu and bar prices seemed average for that area.
Walking back to hotel late at night (about 3.30am) felt very safe it's all main road.
would def recommend it if you are getting a deal price

The worst service I've ever experienced

by TripAdvisor Member LondonS

We stayed at this hotel on New Year's Eve - and it was the worst hotel experience we've ever had. The room was unbearably hot all night, despite hotel staff insisting the heating had been switched off. Even with the window wide open, the room was too hot to sleep in. 'We asked for some water to be brought up to us to help us cool down - and at first, we were told that no one could bring us some. After another request, we were made to pay £3 in the middle of the night. When we complained, the duty manager was extremely rude to us, told us there was nothing she could do about "such a small problem" and walked out. The desk manager was so embarrased at her behaviour that he apologised for her behaviour. We have since complained to the Britannia head office, who say their staff acted "appropriately". We paid £115 for a hotel that doesn't even appear to qualify as a three star hotel and has staff that think its ok to be rude to customers. We shall NEVER be staying at a Britannia hotel again.

It did it's job..

by TripAdvisor Member DescriptionLesson

I stayed here on a school trip. it was not ideal, but as I said, it did it's job. A touch of new wall paper and a clean up would do the hotel justice.
Also, we were dissapointed to find that the lovely smelling hot breakfast was not available to our party. what a let down!!!
If the windows opened, we wouldn't have boiled to dealth, as it was the middle of summer, and i would have prefered it if the rooms hadn't smelt of smoke. (and we even found a half-smoked cigarette in the bathroom!!!)

All the same, we survived and I lived to tell the tail.

Absolutely Dreadful

by TripAdvisor Member magiciansgirl

I've never written one of these reviews before but I really want to just warn people that they shouldn't stay here. I stayed at the hotel with my boyfriend two weeks ago, for a weekend, and the hotel completely spoilt our trip. We arrived to find we were placed in a smoking room (which absolutely stank of mould) when we had asked for non-smoking, at the end of a long coridoor lined with empty bar glasses and spilt piles of food. The room itself was tiny, not even a full sized double bed for the two of us, the side of which was covered in brown stains. The bed covering was dotted with burnt holes, and stank of cigarettes. The decor was absolutely revolting, and the bathroom was so dirty that my boyfriend wanted to buy bottled water to clean our teeth. I know it sounds like i'm exagerating, but the whole room felt so dirty that i slept in my clothes rather than use the blankets they provided. I'm a Londoner and i know that you could get so much better value for money somewhere else in London.

Not recommended

by TripAdvisor Member SheikhaDubai

I always meant to write a note to the General Manager when I left, but decided not too - as the condition of the hotel made me think that he/she would not take the critisism on-board anyway.
It was in a badly kept condition, I agree with the previous review, it was just so dirty, the bed cover, the telephone, the light switch rim (all caked with dirt) and the remote control was in-ground with dirt around the buttons. The furnishings were old and tired. I called for a pizza in the evening from room service, and was told " they would see if the chef was around or had already left". When it finally came, it was as expected, a disapointment (like a packet frozen pizza from Tesco's).
The reception staff were coldly efficient, nothing more.

Someone should spend some money on this hotel, it really needs it - and they should be checking after the Housekeeping department.

Absolutely Deplorable Hotel. Do Not Stay, unless you want a terrible time

by TripAdvisor Member crag1812

I had the most appalling stay at this ghastly hotel. the room I was given (number 321) was directly opposite a service facility elevator, which is utilised by the housekeeping and cleaning personnel whilst servicing the rooms. Being given this particular room meant that at 8 am on Sunday morning I was abruptly awoken by the crashing and clanging of this service elevator, which of course must have been the time period that the room service personnel began to operate.

Since this elevator produced such a loud excruciating, grinding and clunking sound with each and every extensive occasion that it was used, this meant that I was not only totally awoken in a terrible startled jolt, I also suffered awful sleep deprivation. However, the Hotel is little concerned, and further the Head Office in Altricham, Cheshire are not concerned with good customer relations, or spending money to make improvements, this is clear from the fact that the managing director (Mr Campbell) has not bothered to reply.

DO NOT STAY!! AVOID AT ALL COST....

D. WARD
DUDLEY
WEST MIDLANDS

The Royal George pub - barThe Royal George pub - bar

Tower BridgeTower Bridge

Site location - a picture says a 1000 words..Site location - a picture says a 1000 words..

a few thousand of my closest friendsa few thousand of my closest friends

12 days in England...how many days dedicated to London?

by frodriguez

Hello Everyone,

I'll dedicate about 12 full days to England, and I would like to know how many days I should dedicate to London. The other destinations in England that i've included in my itinerary are Oxford, Bath, the Cotswolds and Stonehenge. Would 5 or 6 days be sufficient to cover the London area and sightsee the must-sees?

by rexvaughan

Of course you could spend a lot of time in London and not see it all, but 5 or 6 days would allow you to see and do a lot. I don't know if you want suggestions for your time in London but here are a few. Take a boat down the Thames to Greenwich and see the Royal Observatory, take a day trip to Windsor to see the marvelous castle, visit the great Harrod's store, find a good fish and chips restaurant, tour the Tower of London, see the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, ride the London Eye. You may already know but if you type "London" in the search box near the right side top of this page you can get to the VT London Travel Guide which has tons of information on about anything you can think of in London. Also, ask more questions here or e-mail here members whose London pages you like.

by LoucoSP

Hello
In My opinion, yes 6 days is enough, if you like to visit museums London is the paradise, there are excellent museums and most of them are free.

Have a nice trip.

by Donna_in_India

Agree with Rex; would also add British Museum, St. Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, Portobello Market, etc., etc. 5 or 6 days should be sufficient. Plan and map out an itinerary to maximize your time. Happy Travels!

by Donna_in_India

Also Buckingham Palace is open to the public for tours certain times of the year. If you're interested, check to see if it will be open while you're there.

by wise23girl

If you have a Brit Rail pass why noy go a bit further afield.
South there is Cornwall and north there is York on the east side and then go cross country to Lake District.
Marg

by goodfish

Windsor is also a wonderful day trip out of London by train. It only takes an hour or so to get there, and the castle is fantastic. The town is fun too - small, quaint and an interesting walkabout.

Comments