Britannia International Hotel

Tags

Seniors Women's Travel Business Travel
See Amenities
DAO's Profile Photo

SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES.....

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 18, 2012

Yes, smoke gets in your eyes....and your nose...and your clothes...
Did I mention I think the Manager is a jerk as well? How about I wouldn't trust the staff as far as I could throw them (ideas spring to mind). Oh...and the beds are horrible to. I have stayed in dozens of bad hotels in London. This place ranks as my all time worst for several reasons. It wasn't just that they put me in a smoking room - they put me on a SMOKING FLOOR. A very large floor. And then they added insult to injury. Please read on.

I have used Britannia Hotels in England and Scotland for years. Since the night in question I have refused to stay with them. Why?

When I arrived I had used a website that defaults all reservations to NON SMOKING. I went to the desk and they acted very funny. They told me I was getting a larger room. When I asked in surprise "a larger room?" they said yes, but it was a smoking room. I told them no. They begged me to go up the elevator and have a look. They told me most of the rooms didn't smell like smoke. And even if they did smell bad, they could get someone up to open the windows and freshen the room. I reluctantly went up and I started to smell smoke even before the doors opened. When it did - Pow! I mean smoky. I had tears in my eyes trying to walk down the very long corridor. When I found the room it just smelled nasty.
I went down and told them no way. That's when they became very nervous. One of them went to see 'the Manager'. She came back and said they didn't have any non-smoking rooms left. I asked to see the Manager and the young lady went to the back again. After a long wait I was told the Manager was not available. I was stuck. But I was offered 'room freshening'.

As the windows are LOCKED, housekeeping came up and opened the windows to the winter air and sprayed the room. I was told to let it settle. I went for dinner and was gone 2 hours. After going back to the freezing room I rang to get the windows closed. They were closed and I was trapped with years of stale cigarette smoke covered over by bad air freshener. Years. and Years.

And then I found the mattress was so bad it hurt my back. Between the discomfort and smell - you guessed it - no sleep.

Now the insult.

And yes - I thought smoking was banned in UK hotels now, but this hotel on the Isle of Dogs seems to be exempt. Exempt from smoking laws and guest comfort.

So anyway I wrote to the Chairman of the company. Fat lot that did. He either never saw it or didn't care too much. I had a letter written to me by the Hotel Manager offering me a deal for one night - possibly in a larger room - for a price HIGHER than what I paid the first time!

Are these people completely mad?

Photo evidence is available.

So in DAO's opinion:

DO NOT STAY HERE!

Unique Quality:
* Bad matresses
* Smoking rooms and a whole smoking floor
* Stange acting staff
* Offers to pay MORE if you complain
* Faded rooms
* Locked windows

Its just bad.

Britannia2's Profile Photo

4 star in Docklands

by written on September 20, 2010

This hotel was included as part of a long weekend package from East Yorkshire to London and was a good choice for us as we were visiting the East End. For many people though - especially those from overseas - the hotel is quite a distance from central London although quite accessible by DLR and the Jubilee Line.
This is a large hotel - there is a pool and health club, pizzeria and bar areas which overlook the water. The restaurant (which does not discriminate against people on organised tours with separate meals as some hotels do) also overlooks the water and is a carvery - however there is little ambience and it is crowded and difficult to negotiate the self serve food buffet. The staff seem perplexed at busy times too and we had to ask for simple things such as forks as the tables were not fully set. Food acceptable in the evenings but not too adventurous but breakfasts very good.
The rooms are all en suite and the quality is excellent (although the windows are dirty!) and the bathroom of a good standard.
You do need to consider the location though if you are thinking of this hotel. Not great for central London but for Greenwich, Essex, Kent and east London and of course Docklands the location is excellent.

Unique Quality: The view from the upper floors is worth staying here alone especially if you get one once as we did facing the 02 Arena.
Update - March 2012 - restaurant much improved and there is now a second bar area. The windows are still dirty.
On the night of 23/3/12 at 23.40 the fire alram sounded. I must rate the evacuation as good although there should have been some staff involvement on the floors above the ground floor. It seems to be the hotel is run (like everywhere else these days) on minimal staff numbers but the staff did what was expected of them and although it was not serious I felt safe.

Directions: From South Quay DLR walk towards Tesco Express and walk along the pavement on that side of the road until you reach the hotel - 5 minutes walk. Or Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf.

timlloydlangston's Profile Photo

Great location, but not without its flaws

by written on May 21, 2007

I was travelling here on business, so the location right next to Canary Wharf was ideal. It's also a good base in London as there's easy access to both the Docklands Light Railway and the Underground (Jubilee Line). The hotel was smart and comfortable and the rooms were clean. Now for the flaws: Half of the rooms look over the Docklands Light Railway which is very noisy as it crossess Heron Quay. With trains starting before 6am it isn't good for having a lie-in. The gym is great, but the pool is tiny (looks a lot larger in the promotional material) and there is a 2.50GBP charge each time you want to use the leisure facilities. The seating area around the bar is huge with views of the dock, but the bar itself is very small and there was a long queue to get served.

Not Recommended

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 14, 2007

Very unfriendly staff. Try to let you pay more (also for breakfast even if included). Breakfast buffet very small and just english breakfast. The tables in the restaurant are dirty.

Air conditioning in room broken or cools down only to 25 degrees (checked in several rooms). Pillows and carpet are dirty. The TV has just a few channels and only from England. The window (if open) cannot be closed as you need a special key. If you call the reception or concierge then nobody picks up the phone. If you get someone on the phone the it takes nearly one hour to get someone to your room for example to close the window.

Attention: If you need a taxi they don't call you an official London taxi. It's a private one which is more expensive then a normal one. Check the mirror in the bath as behind there is a small room...

It was a business trip with 6 people (each one room). Everyone had problems with the staff and the rooms.

Unique Quality: -

BlueBeth's Profile Photo

Not exactly central...

by written on November 17, 2006

Great place to stay, right in the heart of Londons Docklands. We sat each morning at breakfast watching the ducks on the river.
Slight problem with check in - would you really want your kids staying in a room four floors below your own? No we didn't either, best they could do was halfway along the same corridor as ours, even though we had mentioned when booking that we wanted two adjoinging rooms!
Anyway once that was sorted out it was a good base, walking distance of either Canary Wharf tube or a DLR station. They had their own pizzeria as well, which the boys enjoyed.

Directions: Docklands, about half a mile from Canary Wharf.

Helga67's Profile Photo

BRITANNIA INTERNATIONAL HOTEL

by written on December 23, 2002

The hotel is situated in the heart of London's Docklands and within three minutes walk of South Quay on the Docklands Light Railway and Canary Wharf on the Jubilee Line.

Unique Quality: There are 3 themed restaurants and a bar with a lovely view of the Docklands. For a small fee you can use the pool, gymnasium, sauna, steam room and hair and beauty salon.

Directions: Docklands

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Buckingham Palace
Trafalgar Square
Piccadilly
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Taxis
Department stores
Driving in London
Souvenirs
Shopping
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Train / Bus Stations
Pigeons
Arts and Entertainment
Architectural
Favorites
Public Transport (not taxis)
The Thames
Food Vendors
Galileo's Locanda Toscana
Micky's Fish Bar, Paddington
Restaurants
Theatre and Shows (including tickets)
Gojo, Notting Hill