5-9 Norfolk Square, Hyde Park, London, W2 1RU, United Kingdom

Rated Higher but Costs More than similar hotels

See Popular Hotels

Budget Travel Family Travel Work Abroad
planxty's Profile Photo

Adequate but nothing special.

by written on September 25, 2011

Although describing itself as a hotel, this place is really just a glorified, if rather large, bed and breakfast. It certainly doesn't have any of the communal rooms you would associate with the term hotel and breakfast is the only meal served, there isn't a bar. Having said all that, it is not too bad, just one of a great number of similar establishments that proliferate in this area.

Check in was friendly and efficient, the room and bed comfortable enough with ensuite facilities in rather a cramped bathroom, and the breakfast the next day perfectly acceptable, albeit the breakfast room was pretty crowded.

I really am struggling to find anything else to say about this place except perhaps that it's proximity to Paddington Station (a short walk) may make it appealing to some.

The price quoted is for a double room.

Unique Quality: There are no unique qulaities that I can think of.

Directions: Norfolk Square is off London Street which runs between Praed Street and Sussex Gardens

al_mary's Profile Photo

Great Hotel / Norfolk Square #2

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 4, 2010

Great Hotel / B&B ....
Room a little small, but that is common in
Europe. Everything was clean and well kept
up in the room and hotel. The staff was very
attentive and helpful ....
Great breakfast in the morning - included.
We will return and recommend it to others.

Unique Quality: .
The Cardiff Hotel is located in the tree-lined tranquillity of
Norfolk Square with its well-tended lawns and flower beds.
Here, as a guest, you can enjoy a leisurely stroll before
frequenting one of the many cafes and restaurants that
are located in the immediate area ....

Fleas in this hotel

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 5, 2010

Please avoid the Cardiff Hotel. I have just come back from a 4 night stay in room 12A in the basement and woke up the first day with bites all over my body. I returned home last night and went to the Doctor's first thing. He told me I had fleas. Thinking about the bed I slept in makes me sick. Now I have to get medication and I have to wash all of my clothes and everything I had in my luggage in case it's infected, including new clothes.

SangAji's Profile Photo

Paddington's Family Hotel

by written on October 19, 2008

recently renovated, friendly and efficient service

central location, nearby to hyde park, and facing norfolk square garden

walking distance to paddington station, and lots of restaurants

along london street, pick-up point for open top london bus tour

Unique Quality: next to sussex fish n chips shop!

american_tourister's Profile Photo

Affordable and very convienient

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 21, 2005

I found it on and chose it because of price and location. It is clean, has a great location, and is staffed by very helpful and friendly people. Breakfast was included in the price and the food was very good. The room was small and the bathroom smaller but for the value it was well worth it.

I would not hesitate to stay here agin. Paddington Station is less than 100 yards away. There are several good pubs nearby, good places to eat, shops, stores, and a fish and chippy 100 feet away.

Plus it is located overlooking a garden square so it has a good view.

Unique Quality: I didn't have a good photo of the exterior so I put one in of the teeny, tiny bathroom. I'm not trying to scare anyone off. I took it to show my wife where I was staying. We had just finished an all inclusive 5 star stay in Jamaica and I came here for a few days before going back to Iraq.

Directions: 1/2 block from Paddington Station

iandsmith's Profile Photo

Lovely setting

by written on November 21, 2004

Unique Quality: Nearest Underground : Paddington. Now, in London, that's always one of the first things you need to know.
I actually chanced upon this place while on one of my "gee-I've-got-half-an-hour-wonder-what-I-can-discover" walks and I noticed this wonderful tree-lined square and that just happens to be where the Cardiff Hotel is, not far from Paddington Station and the Heathrow Express Train.
The Cardiff Hotel is a Bed & Breakfast Hotel in the heart of London, run by the Davies family for over 40 years.

DUNK67's Profile Photo

Sleeping On A Slant

by written on August 2, 2004

Once again I left it until the last minute to book accomodation in London, so at Paddington Station we paid about ý5 for somebody to ring around for hotels. They came up with the Cardiff Hotel, this was quite handy as it was just across the road from the station.

The hotel didn`t look to bad from the outside, typical old Georgian type housing converted into a hotel. The reception though looke as though it had been thrown together.

We had to wait a while for the room to be tidied for us, if we had realised we had to climb the equivilant of Mount Everast to get there we would have started walking straight away. As you can tell the room was on the top floor and the higher we went the steeper the stairs got.

The room itself was pretty basic but it did have coffee making facilities and a tv. ALthough I had to get out of bed every five minutes to adjust the aerial or should I say coathanger.

The mattress was a bit soft and when sat on the edges virtually touched each other but after a hard days shopping and sightseeing we didn`t really notice it too much. The most noticable thing about the room was the sloping floor, I`m still not sure which way it sloped though.

The room was ensuite which entailed a toilet, sink and shower cubicle all in a room just a little bit bigger than a telephone box.

There was plenty of room to store your clothes for a few days but if you were staying for longer then room would have been a bit tight.

We learnt one thing though and that was get ready to go out before you had breakfast as it was a long way from the top floor down to the basement where the breakfast room was.

The room was no smoking but Claire got round that by leaning out of the window and she wasn`t the first judging by all of the cigarette ends lying about.

The room cost us £30 each a night if I remember rightly so we couldn`t really expect too much more could we?

Unique Quality: The room we were in had a good view over the Square but it was nothing too spectacular.

Directions: Come out of Paddington Station, cross the road and carry on walking, there are two squares full of hotels on the left.

wojsyl's Profile Photo

convenient for Heathrow

by written on January 31, 2004

A budget family-run hotel.
The rooms are small and the facilities rather modest.
Friendly staff, but there may be no-one at reception later in the night so beware if you arrive late...

Unique Quality: Good location near Paddington station, convenient for Heathrow. It's rather quiet. Relatively low price for London.

Directions: Easy to find in Norfolk Square.

Nearby Cardiff

• Cardiff Hotel London

Address: 5-9 Norfolk Square, Hyde Park, London, W2 1RU, United Kingdom

9 Photos of Cardiff

View Professional Photos

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Buckingham Palace
Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
Trafalgar Square
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Driving in London
Music, video, DVD's etc.
Department stores
Train / Bus Stations
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Portobello Market / Notting Hill
Arts and Entertainment
Parks and Gardens
Money Matters
Warnings and Dangers
Public Transport (not taxis)
London Dungeon