Cardiff

Rated 17% higher but also costs 75% more than other 2 star hotels

• al_mary's Profile Photo

Great Hotel / Norfolk Square #2

Great Hotel / B&B ....
    Room a little small, but that is common in
    Europe. Everything was clean and well kept
    up in the room and hotel. The staff was very
    attentive and helpful ....
    Great breakfast in the morning - included.
    We will return and recommend it to others.

Unique Quality: .
    The Cardiff Hotel is located in the tree-lined tranquillity of
    Norfolk Square with its well-tended lawns and flower beds.
    Here, as a guest, you can enjoy a leisurely stroll before
    frequenting one of the many cafes and restaurants that
    are located in the immediate area ....

• Fleas in this hotel

Please avoid the Cardiff Hotel. I have just come back from a 4 night stay in room 12A in the basement and woke up the first day with bites all over my body. I returned home last night and went to the Doctor's first thing. He told me I had fleas. Thinking about the bed I slept in makes me sick. Now I have to get medication and I have to wash all of my clothes and everything I had in my luggage in case it's infected, including new clothes.

• SangAji's Profile Photo

Paddington's Family Hotel

recently renovated, friendly and efficient service

central location, nearby to hyde park, and facing norfolk square garden

walking distance to paddington station, and lots of restaurants

along london street, pick-up point for open top london bus tour

Unique Quality: next to sussex fish n chips shop!

• american_tourister's Profile Photo

Affordable and very convienient

I found it on hotels.com and chose it because of price and location. It is clean, has a great location, and is staffed by very helpful and friendly people. Breakfast was included in the price and the food was very good. The room was small and the bathroom smaller but for the value it was well worth it.

I would not hesitate to stay here agin. Paddington Station is less than 100 yards away. There are several good pubs nearby, good places to eat, shops, stores, and a fish and chippy 100 feet away.

Plus it is located overlooking a garden square so it has a good view.

Unique Quality: I didn't have a good photo of the exterior so I put one in of the teeny, tiny bathroom. I'm not trying to scare anyone off. I took it to show my wife where I was staying. We had just finished an all inclusive 5 star stay in Jamaica and I came here for a few days before going back to Iraq.

Directions: 1/2 block from Paddington Station

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Lovely setting

Unique Quality: Nearest Underground : Paddington. Now, in London, that's always one of the first things you need to know.
    I actually chanced upon this place while on one of my "gee-I've-got-half-an-hour-wonder-what-I-can-discover" walks and I noticed this wonderful tree-lined square and that just happens to be where the Cardiff Hotel is, not far from Paddington Station and the Heathrow Express Train.
    The Cardiff Hotel is a Bed & Breakfast Hotel in the heart of London, run by the Davies family for over 40 years.

• DUNK67's Profile Photo

Sleeping On A Slant

Once again I left it until the last minute to book accomodation in London, so at Paddington Station we paid about ý5 for somebody to ring around for hotels. They came up with the Cardiff Hotel, this was quite handy as it was just across the road from the station.

The hotel didn`t look to bad from the outside, typical old Georgian type housing converted into a hotel. The reception though looke as though it had been thrown together.

We had to wait a while for the room to be tidied for us, if we had realised we had to climb the equivilant of Mount Everast to get there we would have started walking straight away. As you can tell the room was on the top floor and the higher we went the steeper the stairs got.

The room itself was pretty basic but it did have coffee making facilities and a tv. ALthough I had to get out of bed every five minutes to adjust the aerial or should I say coathanger.

The mattress was a bit soft and when sat on the edges virtually touched each other but after a hard days shopping and sightseeing we didn`t really notice it too much. The most noticable thing about the room was the sloping floor, I`m still not sure which way it sloped though.

The room was ensuite which entailed a toilet, sink and shower cubicle all in a room just a little bit bigger than a telephone box.

There was plenty of room to store your clothes for a few days but if you were staying for longer then room would have been a bit tight.

We learnt one thing though and that was get ready to go out before you had breakfast as it was a long way from the top floor down to the basement where the breakfast room was.

The room was no smoking but Claire got round that by leaning out of the window and she wasn`t the first judging by all of the cigarette ends lying about.

The room cost us £30 each a night if I remember rightly so we couldn`t really expect too much more could we?

Unique Quality: The room we were in had a good view over the Square but it was nothing too spectacular.

Directions: Come out of Paddington Station, cross the road and carry on walking, there are two squares full of hotels on the left.

• wojsyl's Profile Photo

convenient for Heathrow

A budget family-run hotel.
    The rooms are small and the facilities rather modest.
    Friendly staff, but there may be no-one at reception later in the night so beware if you arrive late...

Unique Quality: Good location near Paddington station, convenient for Heathrow. It's rather quiet. Relatively low price for London.

Directions: Easy to find in Norfolk Square.

More about Cardiff

Hated the Cardiff Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MaryDoherty

I climbed 79 steps up a narrow staircase, with occasionally loose bits of carpet, to a small and stuffy room on a hot and humid night. The room was clean and the area generally quiet but the bed was narrow, lumpy and uncomfortable. There was no shampoo provided, the shower and toilet were tiny and the lack of air conditioning was a real problem on the night that I stayed. The breakfast was fair but I found the room rather cramped. Generally there was a rather stale small about the place and my friend complained about the tang of cigarette smoke from the previous occupant. The only redeeming feature was the proximity to Paddington Station!

Know what you're getting going in and you'll be fine here

by TripAdvisor Member Don9992

I'd read enough reviews of this place in planning our trip to avoid some of the issues reported here. I requested a lower room and got the first floor, which I'd recommend to anyone planning to stay here. We faced Norfolk Square which is actually quite attractive. We did have a few noise problems with people walking through at night, but generally it was fine. Now for the other bad and good points:

The Bad:

Yes, the rooms are small. It doesn't help that much of the available space on the vanity is taken up by the television and the teapot, especially since TV reception is marginal and the electric teapot didn't work at all.

Breakfast wasn’t quite as good as we’d expected. Cereals and fruit were plentiful and the selection of jams was excellent, but the English breakfast was rather disappointing. The bacon was extremely salty – much more than I’d ever tasted before – and the staff only serves one banger per breakfast unless you request otherwise. Also, eggs may only be ordered sunny-side-up or over-easy. For some reason, they can’t/won’t scramble eggs. Go figure.

The staff was pleasant enough, but sometimes their command of the English language left a bit to be desired.

The Good:

I have two basic criteria a hotel must pass for me to consider it worthwhile and this property passes on both. First, the showers, though cramped, were warm and had great water pressure. Second, the beds were firm but not too much so. I slept really well in them.

It would be hard to beat this property’s location. Enough people have described the hotel’s proximity to Paddington Station that I don’t really need to, but I haven’t seen anyone mention the fact that the Big Bus sightseeing tour has a stop within 50 feet of the hotel’s front door. Restaurants, pubs, shops, money changing stores, and a couple of Internet cafés are just steps away in addition to the shopping and eating arcade within Paddington Station itself.

While the problems with the TV and tea pot were annoyances, the fact is we didn't spend much time in the room so both of those points were essentially moot.

In summary, you can certainly stay in better places if you’re willing to pay the tab. Consider this hotel’s warts and decide if you can live with them. If you simply want shelter and are willing to deal with the shortcomings, the Cardiff will be fine. If you need plusher surroundings, there’s a Hilton at Paddington Station, a fairly new Quality within a few steps of the station, and a host of other small hotels in this neighborhood.

Cozy well priced hotel..see my pictures

by TripAdvisor Member SerafinsGirl

There are hundreds of budget hotels to choose from in London and I've read all the horror stories too..it's difficult to make a decision when one person is raving about a hotel and then someone else says it's the worst place they have ever stayed. I poured over the reviews and did some research online and ended up finding the Cardiff Hotel.

One huge factor in my decision is that they responded to my e-mails very quickly. I changed my plans a couple times and they were very quick to make adjustments via e-mail for me. I found a good deal on the room thru one of those online services and I contacted the hotel directly and asked if I could simply book right with them for that price and they honored it.

I also heard they had a full English breakfast included so that was another plus. :)

When it came time to finally roll into the Cardiff, I found it was part of two very long, probably at one time apartment buildings facing each other that had been broken up and sold to several different hotels. So the photo you may have seen on the web of a big white giant hotel has the Cardiff as part of it and other hotels as well.

They have a 24 hour reception desk which I like..there is always someone there. Your key fits your room and the front door which is always locked. Everyone spoke English and were always pleasant and accomodating.

True to other reviews, there is no elevator, you will have to pull your bags upstairs..but if an able bodied adult cannot pull luggage up a couple flights of stairs I would recommend joining a gym :)...and asking ahead for a room on the 1st or 2nd floor will help minimize the amount of hoisting you will have to do. I had no problem as a woman getting my stuff up to the second floor.

OK, admittedly, when I put the key in the door and opened it I burst out laughing..the only real Achilles Heel of the hotel..the single rooms are incredibly tiny. I mean really small! I wasn't sure I would be able to hack it for 2 weeks in there, but really, your attitude is everything. You find you can adapt and it's no big deal in the end. My room had a recently put in bathroom unit..I paid a few dollars extra for that, otherwise you use the toilet down the hall from the room. It is a small but adequate unit with a shower, toilet and sink. I have read many complaints about small bathrooms in London hotels but one should actually consider themselves lucky to have one in the room. I really don't care about things like the size of bathrooms, I mean how long do you plan to be in the shower? Most of the time you will be out enjoying yourself.

Breakfast is served from 7-9 am and is pretty expansive. A choice of cereal, yogurt, juices, fresh fruit, and of course the English breakfast. Only tiny complaint is they only make the either fried or hardboiled with a runny yolk, which I don't like. Again, nothing worth worrying about. The wait staff was friendly and quick to serve and spoke English.

The reception staff was also friendly and can provide you with information about local sights and sounds, they also can sell you phone cards to use in your room to make international/local calls and were always very prompt to get the heat on in my room when I called down for it. No complaints here.

The hotel is very close to Paddington station (walking distance) which is where the Heathrow Express drops you off from the airport. Also nearby are plenty of mini marts, food places, internet cafes (I recommend Reload which is a short walk from the hotel) and Paddington Underground is very close too so you can easily hop onto the tube and be off.

Another small thing is that my window was above the sidewalk outside the hotel so you do get noise from people talking and cars parking, etc. It's actually a smaller road next to a park square so it's not like major traffic noise but enough that you may want to bring a pair of earplugs is that bothers you or see if you can get a room that doesn't face the street. Also you can sometimes hear people in the room next door but it wasn't really much of an issue.

After a while the place was starting to feel like home. I was greeted with a smile when I came in at night from my fun days in London. The place did not smell, the carpet looked pretty new and my room was clean and no smoke odors. There was nothing damp or musty about the place. The room was made up for me daily with a fresh towel and bar of soap. Small but adequate TV is mounted on wall above bed. Tea maker with tea and coffee in room. Just bring your own shampoo.

I have attached photos of my room to give you an idea of what it was like. American tourists are often shocked at the size of the rooms and sometimes lack of regular sized bathrooms the rooms too. You need to go in knowing what to expect, that these are very old buildings that can only be modernized so far. It is a *budget* hotel. And in my opinion a pretty good one. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. I would stay there again!

If you have any questions I can help you with about the hotel or London in general you can e-mail me at serafinsgirl@yahoo.com and I will try to help you out.

Comments