Carlton Hotel London

Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• uglyscot's Profile Photo

convenient

We arrived in London too late to catch the last train to Edinburgh, and decided to stay ,if possible, near King's Cross Station, to catch a morning train. With two tired ,cold and hungry children and a mountain of luggage, there was no alternative. The man at the Left Luggage office recommended the Premiere Inn or Travelodge, but neither had any vacancies. We decided to feed the children and then try again.
    Within sight of the station we found a modest sign for the Carlton Hotel. and there was a family room available. It was basic, but adequate for our needs- two double beds, a small bathroom and a TV. There were facilities for tea and coffee making.
    Breakfast was served between 7.00 and 9.00 a.m in the basement. It was very busy.The waitress brought tea/coffee and a plate of toast with butter and marmalade.
    You served yourself from a table near the kitchen:
    juice

The room cost £125 for the four of us for the night
    fried eggs or scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon and baked beans

Grandson had beans on his toast but the rest of us had just toast.

Unique Quality: Close to King's Cross, St Pancras and Euston Stations

Directions: facing King;s Cross station and Macdonalds

• iandsmith's Profile Photo

Timeshare

I actually got into this place via RCA timeshare. It was on offer and, as I hadn't seen London and had also heard that accommodation was ridiculously expensive, I decided to take up the offer - I exchanged.
    One of the first things I found out was that, in a rather obvious attempt to save money, they had almost exclusively hired Eastern European staff which made communication and help pretty difficult on occasions (see my Bath page).

Unique Quality: The rooms themselves I found to be very satisfactory. There were actually three of them. I got a bedroom, kitchen and a shower/toilet, all linked by a corridor on one side. Very cosy. There was also a full range of TV channels. Only too vividly can I recall returning home from my day in Bath and watching the World Trade Centre disaster, but that's another story.
    One thing that really got up my nose was being charged 38 pounds for electricity for the week. Apparently it's the done thing at many timeshares in Britain. Personally, I found it an affront. If I had to pay for my electricity use, fair enough, but I doubt if I would have used 2 pounds worth of electricity in the week I was there.
    Of course, you can argue all you like but, the Eastern Europeans didn't understand and they had your credit card details so it was a fait accompli.

Directions: About 3 minutes walk from Maida Vale Station