Cherry Court Hotel

23 Hugh St , Victoria , London, SW1 V 1QJ , United Kingdom

• Good place to stay

I recently stayed here for four nights in March 2006 and I don't think I could have possibly done better for my first trip to London. It's a family run B&B and they seem to be doing a good job at it. Breakfast was a food basket containing three pieces of fruit, a muesli or granola bar, cookies, and a pouch of "Kapri Sonne". Free internet in the lobby, which was handy when we were in search of information. The two singles had ensuite facilities. Some other rooms had to share facilities. We were provided two keys, one for the front door and one for the room. Our quoted reservations were 45 GBP/night per room. If you have food allergies or a specific diet, I recommend using the Sainsbury's in Victoria Station to bring back snacks or drinks to the hotel.

Unique Quality: Based on my sister's recommendation, my mother and I decided to book the two single rooms that the CCH has. One was by the check in desk, which unfortunately lets you hear everyone's comings and goings. The other was on the top/4th floor which is quite a haul with a suitcase as the stairwell is narrow. The rooms that we had were small, but clean. The top room was very warm, even in March, which I rectified by leaving the window open in 40 F weather for a couple of hours. TV in room, four channels. Small bathrooms. Because of the nature of the conversion from big house to B&B some aspects of the rooms don't make sense. My mother's bathroom door only had one pull or knob, on the outside. When she was entertaining she had to have somebody close the door for her. If you're planning on sharing a room with a travel mate who you are not intimately involved, I suggest trying to get the single rooms. Using the bathroom leaves almost nothing to the imagination of those not using it. Otherwise everything was fine. Plus, being located in Westminster, it's still within decent distance to Buckingham Palace and due to Victoria Station (Zone 1) it's only a short jaunt to Westminster Abbey/Parliament, Tower of London and a few other hot tourist spots.

Directions: Within walking distance of Victoria Station. On a quite street. The website has more detailed walking directions.

More about Cherry Court Hotel

Smallest rooms ever, nice quiet location

by TripAdvisor Member thematrix

My wife and I stayed here for two nights based on Rick Steve's recommendation and reviews from this board. We found the room to be the smallest we had ever seen. It was difficult for both of us to walk around without bumping into each other. The bathroom door looked like something that had been jerry rigged. The door basically just covered the bathroom and had a large gap at the top, so all the "noises" from inside the batchroom were heard outside as well. The bathroom had the smallest sink I had ever seen and made it very uncomfortable to use to shave with. We noticed several holes in the bathroom walls and could not figure if they just didn't bother to seal them up or something was going to be put there? Now for the bed. The mattress was so hard that we both had back and shoulder pain after a nights sleep.

Now for the positives:

Mrs. Patel was very nice and welcoming. The fruit basket is a nice touch. The free internet on the ground floor is a big plus. The close proximity to Victoria Station is a big plus. The area is pretty quiet with very little car traffic at night.

Would we stay here again? Probably not. I think we would pay a little extra and stay somewhere a bit more comfortable.

Great for Budget Travelers

by TripAdvisor Member VerySoreFeet

If you are looking for an inexpensive, convenient, safe, clean room, this is the place. Three of us slept very well in a small triple room (small full bed and very narrow twin). As so many others have pointed out, the rooms are small--but because we spent so little time in our room, we didn't mind at all. We liked being near Victoria Station; it was always easy to find a bus home at night (I highly recommend the busses--especially at night--the sights are beautiful). Also, there are several grocery stores in the station where you can pick up a quick, cheap meal. I thought the breakfast was perfect--we each received a banana, mandarin orange, apple, granola bar, juice drink, and cookies to share. We'd pack the food in our backpacks and eat all day. We made lots of use of the electric kettle and tea--so nice to come in exhausted and relax with a hot drink. We spent 8 nghts at the Cherry Court, and it would be my pick if I'm lucky enough to visit London again.

Great Location

As mentioned previously, the rooms are the size of closets and our bathroom door was see-through. The window in our room was a single pane so it seemed as if the people on the street were actually speaking inside our room. The continental breakfast was very basic but for the price and central location I would stay again but no more than two days.

Small Rooms But Great Location and value

by TripAdvisor Member Barry32

I most recently stayed at the Cherry Court for two nights with my 19 year old son. A couple of years back I had again stayed for two nights with my wife. The rooms are very small: however, when travelling I don't spent much time other than sleeping in the room so it is only a minor problem. Breakfeast is in a basket left in the room. The staff is friendly and helpful. The street is quiet (there is a nice pub at the corner) and the location is great. The back of Victoria station (i.e., the quiet side) from which you can easily access the Gatwick Express is at the end of the block. If you are using Heathrow the Victoria Coach Station is a few blocks away. It is an easy walk to several tube stations, Buckingham Palace and Westminister. For London it is very reasonably priced. They have internet access that is available to guests at reception. Have been here twice I would definitely stay again. However, if you are adverse to a very small room this is not the place for you.

Bed and snack, no breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member Joseanna

We booked at the Cherry Court based on a R. Steves review of B&B. We had been staying at a 3*Thistle hotel for $80.00m incl fees and taxes. We went by the hotel before booking. It is located 1/2 block behind Victoria Station in a quiet neighborhood with many B&B townhouses. We were buzzed in but found they only had availablilty for one night (asked and recieved recommendation for Jubilee Hotel around the corner for the other night). The proprietess took our CC # to hold the room (we were going to Paris for 5 days before returning to London). She did not have a vacant room to show us. When we finally checked in, the same desk person took us to our room. It was not made up from the previous tenant since it was still very early AM, but we put our bags in it and went on our way. The reception window area is very cramped, with narrow stairwell leading upstairs. The room was unbelievably small, due to the en suite BR being added into an already small room. Very poor workmanship and you could hear water running with every flush and shower from surrounding rooms. One full size bed pushed up against the far wall in front of the window. All shelves etc. built into the wall, including the shelf and hanging rod for clothes--not long enough for dresses. One small oval mirror on the wall. There was an L shaped path to move along two sides of the bed. No room to open the suitcase--barely room to set it down. We also had a BR with sliding french door with lightly dimpled glass panels. Since the BR is barely 2 feet wide you are up against these windows when using the commode so NO PRIVACY. My husband said he hadn't seen a shower and sink so small since he was on a Coast Guard ship. As mentioned before, your feet are in the shower when on the commode. Although this room overlooked the back of the hotel, you could hear people talking outside. The window had a very lightweight curtain so "sun's up" at 5:30am. The breakfast basket left in the room was two Capri sun, and two each of apple, orange, banana, fruit bar and candybar. The in room tea maker had thick mineral deposits on the element which floated off when heating hot water-yuck! Teabags/sugar available, if you dare.
There was a covered area in back with small table and umbrellas in which to sit and read, or eat, etc. The internet access was free, in the hallway by the reception window, but no chair available. Everything was clean but worn. The staff seemed somewhat indifferant, although the proprietress was friendlier on checkout. The rate was 55 pounds ( $99.00) with a 5% charge for CC use. You are unable to use a long distance phone card, local calls are charged. The rooms have A/C. In my opinion, the Jubilee B&B around the corner was a better establishment and value, with a real breakfast. Unless you need A/C.

Tiny room

by TripAdvisor Member LadyFromBaltimore

When I book the hotel, I know the room is small and I am prepared to accept the size. When I opened the room door for the 1st time, I just bursted into laugh. It is basically a room with a bed. If you want to sit, sit on the bed. There is no way you can open your luggage wide if you have a big one. Luckily, we have 2 carry-on size luggages but they occupied the only walkway in the room.

The hotel is about 5 mins walk to the Victoria underground station.

great location

by TripAdvisor Member Luigia

We stayed at the Cherry Court Hotel for 4 days at the end of September on our way to Spain and then 1 night on our return before flying home.
The room was very very small but clean and the owner was extremely accomodating. She kept some of our London purchases for us until our return. We are retired budget travellers and our needs are simple - cleanliness, location and a hot shower. Since we were travelling by tube and train the location- about a five minute walk to Victoria Station and the Gatwick Express was ideal. Our room cost 55 pounds a night which for London is astounding. There was a fruit basket in the room each evening which was welcome and also a kettle. We spent very little time in our room since we were enjoying London's sights and many museums. For us, it was ideal. If you require luxury, this hotel is not for you.

great location

by TripAdvisor Member genocoop

We stayed at the Cherry Court Hotel during the month of September. The room was small, but we were out all day sight-seeing and shopping. You cannot beat the price and the location. The owners Mr. and Mrs.Patel were just wonderful. The room was clean, the area was safe and it's so close to Victoria station and the bus lines. If you are looking for luxury this is not the hotel for you. The room was 55.00 per nite. You cannot beat the price. Free internet service. I will book this hotel again upon my return to London.

G. Reed
Chicago, Illinois

Good value, convenient location..

by TripAdvisor Member JaSun

The Cherry Court is a small but nice hotel. Rooms are very small, I mean really small, but there so much to do in London that a large room isn't really needed. The free internet in the "lobby" is a plus. The Breakfest is a few snack bars, some fruit and a couple juice boxes- helpful but not great, Victoria Station has a grocery and lots of fast places to grab a bite if you don't like it.

Comments