Citadines London Trafalgar Square

Agoda.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Costs 128% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• BarbaraForza's Profile Photo

Apart'Hotel in London

I had an excellent experience staying at Citadines in London. I recommend it as it is well served and the service is perfect.

Unique Quality: Situated near Charing Cross tube station, it's easy to be reached from every part of London. Located near the main tourist attractions seems to be the best solution for travellers. Bus stop just in front of it.

Directions: Arriving at Charing Cross tube station turn on the right in the Trafalgar Square direction and you'll find it easily on your right.

• jaros's Profile Photo

Location, Location,...Convenience

Cheerful, efficient, comfortable small apartment located just an easy walk from not only transportation but many of London's must-dos. Well-fitted modern kitchens make eating in a breeze, yet there are restaurants and take-aways nearby. Bathrooms are clean, light, and very well-designed. Closet space is limited when you're there for a long stay, but there are ways to get around that.

Unique Quality: Service is helpful. The best part,however, is a laundry room that helps compensate for the lack of generous closet space - just keep washing. OK, so not all the washers and dryers were at their peak performance, but still, that's a minor complaint.

When we stayed at this hotel (2003), there was a free computer in the lobby for guests to use.

Directions: About a block off Trafalgar Square. Just steps away from Charing Cross and Embankment underground stations. Relatively short taxi ride from Victoria Station.

More about Citadines London Trafalgar Square

hostels are cheapest. l.ondon...

by chaistarr

hostels are cheapest. l.ondon is so expensive for lodging! howver i stayed at citadines (i think that is the name) a french owned hotel. simple but nice little studio-apartment type room for about equivalent of 60$ american per person.

Excellent place!

by TripAdvisor Member NYCTravelers

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights in late January and absolutely loved the room and the location. This was my first-ever trip to London and I was very happy with the Citadines Trafalgar Square. Some good points include that it is a short walk to two tube stations, the Thames river, Big Ben and Parliament, and Covent Gardens. I loved that the room had a fully stocked small kitchen. Another great thing is that each room is climate controlled so you can make it as warm or cool as you want. It was also nice that they had free internet access in the lobby. The only two small drawbacks I can think of were that a) they give you one tiny little soap, but I guess you can ask for more, and b) you have to clean up after yourself as there is no maid service in the rooms. We would absolutely stay here again though!

Unbeatable Location

by TripAdvisor Member tonkam

I stayed at the Citadines in March and really enjoyed my stay there. The room is very clean and well appointed. First, I was concerned about the amenities, given that the hotel offers "services apartments", but they provided towels, soap, shower gel, linens...etc. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The bed is a sofabed so if you go there, be aware of it. The only drawback was that they forgot to give me pillows for which I ended up searching the whole studio (but I was given some immediately). Last time I stayed at The Royal Horseguards, certainly in another sphere of hotels, but I liked the Citadines as well and it is cheaper. The location is unbeatable, you can practically see Trafalgar Square. The breakfast is overpriced, so if you care for English breakfast, exit the hotel, cross the road, turn into Great Scotland Yard, and right at the corner of Whithall is a pub offering breakfast.

Excellent all around, esp. for families/groups.

My girlfriend and I travelled this October with my brother, and wanted to find a hotel that would afford us the benefit of separate bedrooms without the added expense of booking both a single room for him and a double for us.

We booked a suite at Citadines based on Internet research and previous pleasant experience with this style of hotel (aparthotels, etc.), and our stay was fantastic.

We paid 135 GBP for 2 weekend nights and 205 GBP for one night (weekday), finding the best rates (a special discount) by booking through the Citadines Web site, which had discounted deals not available on the travel sites. With the exchange rate at the time, our 3 night stay was $900, or about $100 per person per night.

The hotel's location is unsurpassed. Half a block from Trafalgar Square, the National Gallery (Renaissance - 19th century art), and National Portrait Gallery (highly recommended, and free!). 1 tube stop or a 15 minute walk along the Thames Embankment from Westminster, including the Abbey, Parliament, etc. Just across the bridge from the Millenium Pier (Saatchi modern art gallery, BA London Eye, and water-taxi stop for Tate National and Tate Modern), etc. Embankment and Charing Cross tube stations were both less than half a block away.

The building is extremely posh, with an elegantly decorated modern lobby, excellent elevators, carpeting, paint, etc. All very clean. I believe the hotel was a historic building of some sort, but I couldn't remember exactly what the plaque outside said.

Our room was on the 5th floor, and had an unspectacular view of a side street, but was very quiet.

The hotel was able to accomodate an early check in (8 a.m.), which I am guessing was partly due to the season and it being a weekend.

There was free high speed internet access in the lobby, both free WiFi for laptop users and a terminal provided by the hotel for those without computers. I was also able to get signals for 4 different commercial WiFi providers which I could have used for a fee (flat rate/daily/hourly, depending on provider.)

We didn't partake of the (expensive) breakfast served in the lobby. Our room had a kitchenette with a combination microwave/grill, stove-top range, sink, mini-fridge, toaster, and dishwasher. They provided cutlery, plates, glasses, and TWO different sizes of demi-tasse cofee/teacups, cutting boards, pot-holders, dish towels, etc. I can't remember if there were pots and pans. However you could easily cook breakfast, do sandwiches, or cook a limited dinner as needed. We did breakfasts each morning. A TessCo (mini-grocery store) across the street provided the essentials. We were very pleased with the kitchen, even though it was small.

The main room had a small TV, a writing desk/dining room table, a few sitting chairs and a trundle-style sofa bed. My brother is a big guy and had no complaints about the bed, although I don't think it would be comfortable for a couple. The bed could be split into two single beds if necessary.

An iron and full size ironing board, extra pillows and two folding chairs were provided in a small closet. The toilet had it's own separate room (like a closet, I guess we would call it a 1/4 bath in the US) so it was literally a Water Closet. The bathroom had a smallish tub and sink/vanity, and lots of extra towels. This is a nice touch because linen is not changed during your stay, unless you are there longer than a week or pay extra for mid-week housekeeping visits. The water was pleasantly hot. Although a lot of water (flow) came out of both bath and shower, the shower wasn't as highly pressurized as we are used to in the US. It was far better than other European showers I've used. One nice touch: adjustable height shower-head that went up to about 7 feet. I've often had European showers that come up to my collarbone, so this was appreciated. There's also a fold-out clothes-drying rack for doing in-room laundry.

The main bedroom had one double bed and another small closet. Not a whole lot of space in that room besides the bed, but it was comfortable with clean linens and good pillows and mattress.

This stop was near the middle of a 10 day total itinerary, and so we had lots of dirty clothes. We made use of the in-hotel coin-op laundry, which was one of only two minor disappointments. The cost for the laundry ended up being about $25 for one load. There were two washers and two dryers, and one of the dryers was broken. My brother had to run everything through the dryers twice, (accounting for some of the cost.) and was up until 2:00 a.m. waiting for the laundry to finish (machines had very long/slow cycles.)

The only other complaint was the all of the doors had automatic hydraulic door-closers, and no door-stops were provided. We ended up using a folded up wad of napkins to prop open the bedroom when we wanted to easily go in and out (e.g. for packing) and prop open the kitchen with a stuck-open drawer. This seems like something that would be easy for them to fix with a $1.50 rubber doorstop...

If all the other Citadines are as well run as this one, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to any travellers. Those planning an extended stay, or who have children or mixed parties who need that extra bit of privacy will especially appreciate the suites. The cost savings of in-room cooking vs. restaurant/hotel prices are wiped out a little by the higher cost of the hotel compared to a lower-end tourist facility, but the amenities make up for this.

Overall, a good deal at a great location.

Can't be the location

This hotel is 30 sec walk away from Trafalgar Square and 5 minutes from Leicester Square. We stayed in a studio from Sep 30 - Oct 2 which was small but adequate. The bathrooms are actually much larger than I expected for London and quite nice. The reception are decent but not the most pleasant I've come across by any means but at £70 a night smack in the middle of it all (you can walk across the bridge to the London Eye), you really can't complain. The location is worth the price.

Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member Kriselda

I stayed here with my husband, three children and mother in January 2005. Rooms were not too tiny - it helped having a 2 bedroom for 2 adults and 2 of the children - you can fit another 2 people on the fold out sofa bed, but there would be no place to eat take aways or just sit around.
Pretty good breakfast is available - the usual continental plus boiled eggs and toast. It was a very relaxing start to the day.
One minute walk to Trafalgar Square meant that we could quickly walk or bus to most places.
Most of the staff were very helpful.
There is free internet access (in the foyer); a common-use laundry and a luggage storage room if your flight leaves after check out.
This is where I will stay next time!

Great hotel!

This hotel is great. If you stay anywhere in the area you are going to be close to enough things so the location was perfect -- definitely within walking distance of everything you would want to see and also right next to the Charing Cross tube stop.

The hotel itself is quite nice. The only problem I had is that our room didn't have a bed -- just a fold-out sofa. It wasn't uncomfortable (like most sleeper sofas) it was just a hassle pulling out at night. That's the only problem I could find with the place.

The "kitchen" was well stocked and would be perfect for a stay anywhere - or even an extended stay. The bathroom was also good -- and very clean -- like the entire hotel.

Staff was friendly -- internet usage is free for guests (though there is only one computer for a fairly large hotel). Though the hotel did not blow me away, I can't imagine needing anything nicer than what we got here (unless you want to blow tons of money for a really ritzy hotel) ...

Location is amazing

by TripAdvisor Member Shinners2006

A group of six of us stayed in this hotel for three nights in March. The room was great, it had 2 separate double bedrooms and one double sofa bed in the living room perfect for 6 of us! The Kitchen area was small but had a good size fridge.

The staff were mostly friendly and when we had a problem with one of the doors, the maintenance staff were efficient and the problem was sorted out very quickly. The staff on reception were mostly friendly except for one person who was quite rude at check in.

The major attraction of this hotel is the location, 2 minutes from Trafalgar Square, 10 minutes walk to Westminster and 2 minutes to the nearest tube station Charing Cross.

The location is worth the price but as there is no maid service every day you have to keep the place tidy yourself and if you require more towels these must be requested from Reception. Despite a few hiccups at the start of our stay I would stay here again and would definitely recommend to others.

Citadines Hotel

by harmonyL

I'm all set to book at the Trafalgar Citidines but fear and indecision are keeping me from doing so. I keep thinking there's a cheaper or better self catering apartment in London other that what Frommers and Fodors suggest. I find those 2 totally untrustworthy. If anyone can
can tell me anything about the Citadines or any really terrific self catering apartment for long term stays I'd really appreciate it. Thanks Much

by zuriga

I used to stay at a really convenient (near Gloucester Rd.) self-catering flat. I'm not sure what they're charging now but if you're interested, email me and I'll send you the name and phone. I'll only be online another day or so - then away for a week. This place was very clean and safe....great neighborhood.

by Themager

I stayed 2 nights there in March. The 1 bedroom apart. was small for us (2 adults, 2 small kids), but it was clean, and the lobby is very nice. The location can't be beat. We had booked an apartment via yourstay.com, but they screwed up are booking and have refused to refund our money.

by Yitz49

We used a service called
london4rent.com
were very happy with the service & the discount

Comments