Claridge's London

Claridge's
Orbitz.com Hotels.com Booking.com

Costs 96% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Paradise in Mayfair

I stayed over in London for one night on my way to Prague so I decided to treat myself.
    The friendliest hotel staff I have ever encountered. They checked me in right away, even though I was early.
    From the porter to the bartenders I was made to feel welcome and pampered.
    The room was small but very comfortable. Since it was just me, I didn't need room for a dinner party. It was clean and luxurious.
    The bathroom was amazing. I really enjoyed the swimming pool size marble tub with the art deco tiling.
    The fact that they had two different electrical outlets by the desk was something I had not expected. It made recharging my laptop so much easier.
    I highly recommend this hotel at least once in your life.

Unique Quality: My fondest memory of this place was not the room, although the luxury there was stunning. It was all the extras that happened. The hotel doorbell, the privacy light, the butler call button. The phone in the bathroom was amusing as well.
    The dinner I had at the bar was one of the nicest nights I have ever spent in Europe. The bartenders were fun, friendly, charming and so well trained. The food was amazing and so were the cocktails.

Directions: The heart of Mayfair

• Business Travelers beware

I have stayed at the hotel before and liked it. On this trip I had back to back meeting in London/Paris /Zurich British Air cancelled my flight to London and there were no other flights into London that day, so the MTG in LON was CXL. Since I was within 48hours, the hotel charged me for the one night. Even though it was not my fault for CXL the hotel room. sorry that is the policy.Great hotel just not for the Business traveler and FYI to the leisure traveler have trip insurance incase of trip delays that are not your fault. This hotel does not care. about a 850.00USD loss

• Old school class

Excellent professional service from doorman to concierge.
    Classic bar ...(ask Bronk for a Dirty Dry Martini)
    Do i need to mention Gordon Ramsays restaurant next door? (..No...)
    Reasonably spacious room in a city running out of space...

Unique Quality: -Central location
    near: Bond street, Oxford street, South molton street
    Close enough to art galleries..antique shops and Savile row tailors

-old style charm...
    -attentive service...

Oh and Jim Carey likes it! ....(honestly!)...

• phil_uk_net's Profile Photo

Claridges

One of London's more upmarket hotels. If I was looking for a place in London, which I don't have to, Claridges would be way beyond my budget. I guess this is the case for many people. However, I would certainly consider having afternoon tea there for a special occasion. There are a number of hotels that offer this and Claridges is one of the best.

Directions: Bond Street / Oxford Street area.

More about Claridge's London

Absolutely Wonderful

Just got back from a 4 night stay at Claridges. We loved this hotel - absolutely beautiful and impeccable service. The staff cannot do enough for you. We will definitely be back!!!

Unsurpassable Service

by TripAdvisor Member The_Smiths15

My wife and I spent a night at Claridges to celebrate our wedding anniversary and had lunch in the Gordon Ramseys restaurant there - wonderful. We loved the friendleness of the staff, and the service was second to none. We had a beautiful superior king room which was very spacious and quiet, with a large bathroom, the deepest bath we have ever had, and a shower rose the size of a dinner plate! Well worth every penny.

About What I Expected - Above Avg., Beautiful lobby

by TripAdvisor Member ATLTravelsALot

Stayed at Claridges Dec. 11 - 16, 2006. Rooms (had to change rooms during stay because I extended stay 2 nights and my original room was not available the entire stay) were nice, a bit "dated" and great if you like the "old stuffy grandma" look. Personally, I prefer more modern type surroundings, but it worked and certainly is nothing to complain about. The shower rainhead is INCREDIBLE in the bathroom. King bed is the typical 2 European twins pushed together so the crack in the middle is a bit bothersome if you manage to fall into it constantly like I did. TV very small and the views in both rooms were into the center courtyard of the hotel so no street view...just the inner walls of the hotel. Had dinner in Gordon Ramseys....$400 for 2 with a bottle of wine. Would not do that again....classy but overrated. Food in the lobby restaurant just as good. The lobby itself and general public areas were SPOTLESS and just absolutely beautiful. The chandelier in the restaurant is stunning and unique. So, overall no complaints but next time would try something more "modern" (Four Seasons/Sanderson, etc.)..after 5 nights at Claridges I felt old and ready to checkout to get back to some excitement, and I am 44....so younger people would definitely not be too thrilled. Oh, VERY expensive....so, be prepared.

Excellent hotel, wonderful location

by TripAdvisor Member Houston2

My husband and I recently stayed at Claridge's for 5 nights. We loved the hotel. We were upgraded to a suite and it was a nice size and well appointed. The service was excellent, until our departure. We booked our room on-line at a great rate which we confirmed via email with the hotel prior to our arrival and again at check-in. However, upon our departure, the hotel attempted to charge us a higher rate than our confirmed rate, and treated us as though they were doing us a favor to honor the confirmed rate. In fact, until I produced the print-out of my confirmation, they refused to honor the rate. They did eventually agree that we were correct about the rate but the experience tainted an otherwise wonderful stay at Claridge's. If you book on-line, make sure that you print out your confirmation and take it with you.

Not a great start, GREAT finish

Arrived 4:30PM for room. Booked a superior room. My information says room to be ready by 4.

Room not ready. Would we like to go out on the town, take a walk, wait?

Wait is fine.

My very tired bride, very tired. Find a small sofa, order a glass of champagne, and wait. And wait. Wife, a sleep. Another glass, then another. Checked on by staff. We are trying our best with your room. My response, "My wife (still hard to say that as we are just now husband and wife) looks fine. Please, take your time, we will be here when you are ready for us."

(I can hear upset and angry words coming from check in area from multiple people. Some one is coming unhinged, some one else is losing their grip.)

Checked on again, wife still asleep. "In a few moments." He says. "It sounds as if you have a lot on your hands, please take your time. We are fine." I say. My wifes head on my lap. Sound asleep. I'm very close to doing the same. It has been a great, but long day. Ponder asking for the manager, but that feeling passes. What good would that do?

Finally after 2 or 3 hours, or was it 3 or 4 drinks, the same gentleman asks if I would like to wake my wife and go to our rooms. Rooms??

Well to say my bride had tears in her eyes at the site of the room would be true. To say that I did, would be close. It was an apartment. Private interior hallways, a bedroom to die for, and the bathroom is still etched in memory. A sitting room, oh how marvelous. I could not wait for room service.

The fine staff had had a challenging issue with the "Marquis" and his retinue. He stated that our upgrade was only fitting to our patience with his staff.

Five nights. Perfect in everyway.

Tip: Be kind. Dress nicely. Drink Champagne in the hotel lobby. Never ever come unhinged, or lose your grip.

hotel in London City

by andersonsashi

what is their finest hotel?

by Mariajoy

Take your pick from the top 38!

Most of them are located in the Mayfair and Park Lane area rather than the City of London though - if that's what you meant?

by leics

I think most Brits (with no experience of such hotels) would automatically think of the Ritz, the Savoy and Claridges. Traditionally, that is where the richest have stayed.

We don't really refer to 'London City' other than in terms of the financial district (and the airport). We refer to the city of London, or central London.

by CliffClaven

As indicated above, the City refers to the financial district, which is very quiet in the evening. There are, of course, good hotels there, catering to the visiting financial types who have to stay overnight, but the "best" hotels tend to be in the West End, in Mayfair and Piccadilly. But determining the "best" depends on what you as a traveller expect from a hotel.

by PeteG