Comfort Inn & Suites Kings Cross

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 22% more and rated 21% lower than other 4 star hotels

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

Spacious, Friendly, Economical, Centrally Located

I had booked two nights at this hotel through their USA website. I was not expecting much, thinking about Kings Cross location and the price paid.
    I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room and an ample bathroom and with a large double bed as wel as a sofa.

Unique Quality: The staff are very friendly
    the front desk with Royan from Azerbaijan but speaks with a British accent , Guiseppe from Italy.
    Free Breakfast included: coffee, tea, juices, cereal, eggs, toast etc. The ladies in attendance super helpful.
    a few minutes to Kings Cross station
    or the eurostar st pancras station. that is one of the reasons i took this hotel, because i could easily get to the Eurostar departures.
    Lots of eateries nearby, lots of take outs, coffee shops.

More about London

British cuisine, breakfastBritish cuisine, breakfast

Marian statueMarian statue

Hampstead HeathHampstead Heath

Get the message.Get the message.

Horse Guards Parade

by kirknigro

I'd like to see the the Horse Guard's parade. I know I'll see a couple of Horse Guards mounted on Whitehall, but from there, how do I get to the actual parade grounds? Do I have to go all the way around to Horse Guards Road to get to the parade grounds, or can I get to the parade grounds directly from Whitehall?

by TexasDave

You can walk straight through.

by leics

But you won't see them parading as such unless it's a special occasion.

Horse Guards Parade is just a large open space and, as far as I know, you can still just walk through between the mounted guardsmen.

You can see them changing the guard at 11am on weekdays and 10 am on Sundays.

by cubsur

You can walk through the arch from Whitehall, past the sentries and into Horse Guards. I used to do so on my way to work.

They do close the gate at the time of the actual changing of the guard. You can look through the fence.

At special times eg the Trooping of the Colour, there is heavy security and you won't get anywhere near the actual Horse Guard's Parade without a ticket.

by kirknigro

Thanks to all of you for your help. I should have said that I wanted to see the changing of the guard, but mostly I wondered if I could get to the grounds from Whitehall, and now I have my answer !!!

Of course, I'm hoping for good weather, but that's always a gamble. I've got lots of things planned for bad weather, just in case ........

Thanks again.

Kirk

by leics

You can still see the Changing of the Guard in the rain. Just make sure you bring appropriate outerwear and umbrella (you'll almost certainly need them anyway!).

:-)

by kirknigro

Actually, my umbrella is one of the first items I packed............LOL

Kirk

by leics

Make sure you pack a raincoat (with hood) too. Umbrellas are a pain in crowds (and London streets can be very crowded) and entirely useless when it is windy (yes, we have wind with our rain....often).

:-)

Travel Tips for London

The freak in the cage

by Mr_Furious

It was really enjoyable to go to watch the freak in his cage near the Tower Bridge. He was an American illusionist (his name has slipped my mind) who sat in a glass cage for 40 days. He only could drink water through a plastic tube, but he couldn't eat anything solid. During my stay he was attacked several times by people who didn't like him doing that. Anyway, in the evenings for some reason many many people gathered around the man and his cage for some unknown reason, because he barely moved. But for some reason it was just a nice place to relax , to kill the time and watch the sun go down. Nice!

To all those Helis out there,...

by heli

To all those Helis out there, now there is a station for all of us! St. Helier in Morden! The tiny railway station was near the place where we stayed and the Thameslink trains go there. It was very handy when we were in the city centre. For example taking an Underground to Elephant&Castle and then taking the Thameslink towards Sutton. Just step out in St. HelierĀ“s. :)

Walk around! They say that if...

by Vanislander

Walk around! They say that if you stood in the Piccadilly circus area for 90 minutes you would see someone you know. Whether this is true is possible, because while we were there we saw people from everywhere in the world. If you enjoy meeting people or people watching London is the place to do it. Along with the above, the actors on the streets are alot of fun to watch, these actors whee actually 4 feet tall, and were blowing on Kazoos(they sound like duck callers) And were absolutely hilarious!

All Hallows by the Tower

by kris-t

All Hallows by the Tower is the oldest church in the City of London and a living church serving today's City community.
All Hallows by the Tower established in 675 as "All Hallows Barking" (after Saxon Barking Abbey).
The 7th century Saxon doorway surviving from the original church.

Couple names from many connected with the All Hallows by the Tower:

- Thomas More, Catholic humanist, beheaded at Tower of London and buried here in 1535.

- John Quincy Adams, sixth President of the United States - married here in 1797.

Downstairs is the Undercroft Museum, with a treasury of communion plates, and a crypt. In 1926 a Roman pavement and many artifacts were discovered many feet below the church.

Stereotype busting!

by clueless83

Please don't believe everything you see and hear! Us Brits aren't all beer-swilling football hooligans! It shames me to think that such a small minority of British people could behave so badly and tarnish the reputation of the rest of the nation. We hate them too!

Comments