50 Lancaster Gate, Hyde Park, London, W2 3NA, United Kingdom

Agoda.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• DAO's Profile Photo

GREETED LIKE A BROTHER

When I refused to pay a £20 check-in fee at a bad accommodation – I ended up here at the last minute. I am really glad I did. Despite my accommodation website booking me in here 15 minutes before I arrived, the staff were great. Rather than trying to charge me a late check-in fee like the other place, they upgraded me to a suite. They felt sorry for me checking in late! Now that is how a good hotel should treat paying guests. Great work Commodore Hotel people! And of course I am now going to give you a great review of this little gem of a hotel.

The Commodore is a quiet hotel. Not often done in London, but it is quiet. Located in Lancaster Square, the Commodore is away from busy streets in the area. The main reception area is housed in an interesting and historic old building. The staff greeted me like a brother and made sure I had everything I needed. Iron? No problem. Nice cold beer in the beautiful Red Bar? No problem. My junior suite had a great bathroom, large bed, big towels, Nivea branded toiletries and other nice touches.

The hotel reception area is ornate, has free newspapers and wi-fi. The whole hotel is cosy, especially the really neat Red Bar. Is small, but comfortable and a great place to have a quiet nightcap.

I didn’t choose the Commodore the first time, but I will choose it again. It’s 2 blocks from Lancaster Tube station, across the street almost from Hyde Park and quiet. I had a great nights sleep after having a bad day. They put me in a good mood and made sure I got off to a happy start to work the next day.

Unique Quality:

• Quiet location
    • Great staff
    • Mediterranean restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner (including tapas),
    • Gym
    • Mini bar
    • Wifi

Directions: Tube: Lancaster Gate - Central Line

More about Commodore Hotel

Hotel with character

I can't believe some of the negative comments about this hotel. I've stayed three times now and it is full of character. Set in a quiet square just five minutes walk from Lancaster Gate tube station, the place has a wonderful charm and ambience. It is clean, the staff are pleasant. OK, the corridors to the rooms are quite narrow, and the lift is small, but the rooms I stayed in were large, well-appointed, clean, and very comfortable. Breakfasts were above average, and for an extra £7.50 the cooked English breakfast - made to order - beats any of the usual self-service fare kept under hot plates in some other hotels! I have always got a good rate from using the Internet and will stay there again.

Great hotel & location

Just got back from a 4 night stay at the Commodore hotel in May '04 and we had a wonderful time there. Got a pretty good deal from laterooms website (69 pounds double room per night all taxes/breakfast included). Location is very good, about 5 min walk from Lancaster tube station. Also 10 min walk to Paddington station (many trains depart from here, also the Heathrow express). Very quiet neighborhood. We were very pleasantly surprised with how well the entire hotel is decorated in its Victorian settings (pictures of the Queen Victoria everywhere). Our room was on the 6th floor, despite the small yet function lift and narrow hallways, the room was comfortable yet typical small for london standards. Room was a bit stuffy since no A/C and some oil exhaust from the kitchen would rise up around dinner time. Bed was very good, cable tv and wonderful antique style decor. Bathroom amazing as well. Breakfast was in self serve buffet cold foods with cooked breakfast @ additional charge. They also have a pre-arranged taxi service that will pick you up directly from the hotel to take you to Heathrow for 30 pounds flat rate (great for 2 or more people, since the Heathrow Express is only slightly cheaper and departs from Paddington station). Overall a very nice place and we would stay here again.

It's a good hotel for the money

My 3 friends, I and my son had a good stay at the Commodore Hotel at end of May..
We can say only good things about the hotel, staff and service--friendly, efficient, helpful!! Our stay was 6 nights. The location was perfect for our needs, Hyde park only 2 min walk from hotel and this area was simply a quiet, safe, peaceful place to stay. Inna

For some, Buckingham Palace wouldn't be good enough

My trip to London was terrific thanks to the staff and the lovely Commodore Hotel. The room was very clean (almost spotless), the bed was very comfortable, but a bit too short since I'm 6'3", but that wasn't even a problem; the bathroom was terrific. The room had a safe, TV and instruments to make coffee, which was supplied. Over all the room was perfect for one person. Yes, it could have been bigger, but I wasn't planning on spending long hours in my room. YOU'RE ON VACATION, SLEEP, SHOWER THEN GET OUT OF YOUR ROOM. Oh, had an amazing view of the 'OLD' church/apartment - beautiful. The daily breakfast (which is included) was excellent as well as the staff. Workout room is small, but perfectly fine for excercising. Tube is very close, as well as the park, which had people selling beautiful art on the weekends.
Listen, I've stayed at the Lanesborough, Hempel and other hotels which were terrific, but for the money and service, this is a great hotel. For those individuals who want to cry about the hotel, call the Queen and see if she'll let you stay for a couple of days, since you're obviously not satisfied with anything. P.S. If she lets you stay at the Palace, ask her what's in those purses.

My Stay at the Commodore

by TripAdvisor Member CosmoC

My wife and I stayed at the Commodore Hotel from Oct. 3-9, 2004. Here are my humble opinions and observations:
GOOD: Nice location across from Hyde Park and on the Central Tube Line. Well situated off the main drag on a quiet street. Decent breakfast included and an optional English breakfast available for a fee. Nice little bar in the hotel. Also, I read the other reviews that mentioned the narrow hallways and small lift. These observations are true, but I've been on smaller lifts in Europe. It is still better than climbing the stairs. The hallways are at least wide enough to negotiate with luggage. This place is decent for the cost. London is expensive, after all, so you can't think in US terms as far as what you get for the price paid.
NOT SO GOOD: Man, I'll tell you, if you are even close to being a light sleeper, you won't get much sleep in this hotel. Every conversation in adjoining rooms and in the hall could be heard clearly. Normal walking in the hall on our floor or on the floor above us sounded like stomping due to the rickety floors. The inevitable door slammer on your floor will wake you even if you are a sound sleeper. The real clincher was the hotel staff vacuuming the hall carpets at 8am every morning. In short, I've been in plenty of hotels in my life, and the noise factor is higher than average in this hotel. Also, the bed was the hardest I've ever slept on. If you are like Tom Hanks in Castaway and are used to sleeping on the ground, this bed will be OK for you. Otherwise, you may be tossing and turning alot. The shower had good pressure, but I got a lot of hot to cold to hot again.

In closing, like most things in life, the Commodore has some good and some bad. I'll probably try another place if I go back to London, but this hotel is not a bad option overall. Cheers!

Terrible Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MOinn

I booked this hotel with Lastminute for £95 for Saturday night. I was expecting a 4 star hotel.
I was shown a standard double room in the Townhouse - do not stay in this part of the hotel, the rooms are hardly big enough to swing a cat and stunk of smoke. After being shown a second room which was as awful as the first we ended up paying another £40 to upgrade to a suite - the bar stopped serving at midnight (so did not meet with the definition of a 4 star hotel which states food and drink available 24 hours).

Oh, and the next morning only lukewarm water so no bath or shower.

Lastminute tell me they rely on the hotel to provide the star rating so beware - do some research of your own before you book.

Great location & price

My husband and I stayed at The Commodore from Nov. 24-27th. The hotel is very well located on a quiet street close to Hyde Park, Lancaster Gate & Paddington tube stations. The breakfast that was included with the rate was very good. The biggest drawback was the terrible shower facilities. If the water wasn't freezing cold it was scalding hot and never anything in between! Would I stay there again? Probably if I could get another fantastic rate like our last stay.

Loved the welcome tray (tea, coffee...)

Nice hotel in a quiet place.
The people at the desk are just not smiling.
The room was nice and cosy, the breakfast tempting.
May be 4 stars is a bit too much.
The rooms and particularly the bathroom are too small.

Convenient location and reasonable place to stay....

My family and I have just returned from our stay in London. We started and ended our visit to Great Britain, at the Commodore. I can't say that I wasn't somewhat disappointed that the charming room pictured on the internet was not the one we were assigned to, and that initially the basement rooms seemed somewhat strange--however we were right next door to our three children, and close by to the restarant, so therefore conveniently located, for breakfast. Our rooms did not have much of a view, being on the courtyard(L3 and L6), but were clean and comfortable.We preferred the size of the bathroom, in the second room we had, for our last night in London(403), though still no charming antiques, and the extra money we paid for a better room was not particularly evident. All in all though, the Commodore Hotel was convenient and a fairly reasonably priced place to stay. (December,2004)

Comments