Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington

DAO's Profile Photo

GOOD SLEEP – DIRTY SHEETS

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 19, 2014

Such is the bizarre and poor state of London hotels – I highly recommend this hotel. At the end of the day you want 1 thing from a London hotel – a good night’s sleep. This is very hard to find and the Tara has good beds and is absolutely quiet. In fact it is in its own small square and cut off from all the noise that is London. Now here is the odd part. This hotel seems determined to keep malcontents on Trip Advisor busy taking pictures of stains, scratches and defects. The sheets are clean of course, but they just do not replace them when they get small stains. And the furniture looks like a sabre-tooth tiger was the last guest in your room. I am fascinated by all the TA photos and not being able to see the forest for the trees. This is a good hotel with good beds. They definitely save money on maintenance, but the rooms are huge by London standards. They have air-conditioning, bathrooms have everything and the staff are very responsive. I would happily stay here again anytime. They have lots of facilities, are around the corner from Kensington High Street and 3 minutes’ walk to the tube. They are also a busy hotel for conferences so you can use full business services and they have several bars and restaurants, even a gift shop. An excellent find in London.

Unique Quality:

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• Completely quiet with good beds and large rooms, well located for shopping/restaurants
• Completely accessible and handicapped friendly
• Fitness room with machines and free weights
• 24 hour concierge, room service, security, multilingual staff, doctor on call
• Laundry, dry cleaning services, Theatre tickets
• Bureau de change, gift shop, ATM

• Wi-Fi and car parking are chargeable

ROOMS:
All rooms have air-conditioning, tea and coffee making facilities, radio/alarm, hairdryer, mini bar (on request), iron and ironing board, hair dryer, flatscreen TV, excellent toiletries, non-smoking, large bathrooms
• Room types: Superior, Superior plus, Club Studio Suite, Executive Suite, Presidential Suite, Accessible Room

FOOD & DRINK
• The Brasserie Restaurant & Bar
• Copthorne Club Lounge – work while you watch TV and have a sneaky drink
• Cafexpress – Caffeine and light snacks
• Bugis Street - Oriental cuisine
• Artists Corner - European dishes

OTHER SERVICES
• Full business and conference facilities
• Children's Services

Directions:
TUBE
High Street Kensington - 3 minutes walking (Circle and District lines)
Earl's Court - 15 minutes (District, Piccadilly lines)

planxty's Profile Photo

Location, location, location.

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 3, 2011

If you are a shopaholic, this place could well be for you as it is literally three minutes from the retail Mecca of Kensington High Street. However, without wanting to sound too negative, that is about all it has going for it. the place is, frankly, tired and in need of a good refurbishment, specifically the paintwork. certainly, it has all the conveniences you would expect from a hotel of this standard, large screen TV, internet connection, etc. etc. and it is clean and tidy but just, as I say, a little tired. The bed was comfortable and the shower hot and powerful.

I was looking forward to a bit of a lie in but that proved difficult. Firstly, and despite the do not disturb sign on the door, two members of staff decided to barge into the room without even knocking, not good practice. the noise from the nearby building site completed the job and I was forced from the arms of Morpheous much earlier than anticipated.

I didn't sample it myself but the room service priced from the inhouse Bugis Street restaurant is simply ridiculous, even for this area.

I am glad I was staying here at a corporate rate as I would have been disappointed to pay the £180 walk up rate for the room. I don't think I'll bother with it again.

Unique Quality: No unique qualities that I can think of.

WORST HOTEL EVER! NOT WORTHY OF 4 STARS

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 25, 2011

My stay was very unpleasant and lacked the needed hospitality that customers are supposed to receive. Every member of the staff hangs their noses in the air and ignores you. There was no nice welcoming or smiles that you would normally receive, which was fine. But, the rooms and service were terrible! My family of four received rooms that were on two separate floors. My husband had to room with one child while I roomed with the other. I asked for rooms on the same floor and the reception lady refused. I accepted the rooms and decided I would check back later if some rooms opened up. When I went to check out the rooms, they were atrocious! The rooms I checked into for my family had broken sinks, leaky faucets, rotten bathtubs, and broken showerheads. I called for room service, but no one picked up. I tried three times. I figured it was busy so I headed down to the lobby. Surprisingly, all the employees were there talking while the phone was ringing off the hook. They ignored it and this woman came up, I thought she was going to answer it but she picked up the phone and hung it back up. I told them about the bathroom problems and they told me "I had to deal with it". By the way, the maids ignore you and pretend not to speak English just so that you will not bother them. When I called room service for towels the woman acclaimed "Oh my god!" like I was wasting her time and hung up on me TWICE. The hotel is also located near the railroad station and it makes it hard to get any sleep. WHOEVER GAVE THIS HOTEL 4 STARS MUST BE BLIND OR HAD BEEN BRIBED FOR IT IS NOT A 4 STAR. IT IS ONLY WORTHY, MAYBE, OF A 1 STAR. IT IS TRASH!!

Unique Quality: Unique qualities that they have are bad service and bad accomodations. No perks.

Directions: High Kensington Street where everyone is a snob

best hotel in london

by written on August 29, 2010

I loved it the staff were all so nice and helpful they have a small gift shop by reception where the buffet and restraint is.The rooms were all cleaned everyday.I would recommend this hotel to you because the breakfast were good, room and hotel clean and was round the corner to the tube station and close to shops.

Unique Quality: the bathroom had fresh soap shampoo and conditioner it was clean always.

Directions: tube station turn left left again along down the street turn left.

ajmacnab's Profile Photo

Great hotel for the price and fantastic location!

by written on January 2, 2007

I stayed at the Copthorne Tara Hotel for 5 nights in mid-August 2006. I got this hotel from a bid I made on Priceline.com. My winning bid was $70 a night. A great deal for London! Not sure if this is truly a 4-star hotel but it sure comes close. Very clean and large rooms...only one block from the Kensington High Street tube station!! This is a great shopping area in London and only a few minutes walk to the Royal Albert Hall and Kensington Palace. You really can't beat this deal!

ox4rd's Profile Photo

Very Nice and Practical Hotel

by written on November 13, 2005

Loved the room, although small. Very clean. Restaraunt is fantastic. Great steaks. The staff is kind and friendly.

Unique Quality: Located in a very nice part of London and close to the tube (Behind the Station). Nice area for walking.

Directions: Within easy reach of the shops and restaurants of Kensington High Street, Knightsbridge, and Notting Hill.

PeterVancouver's Profile Photo

A good London Hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 16, 2005

Unless you like to have an early wake up call, ensure you dont have a room overlooking the underground railway which passes below the windows outback and which start up very early in the day. It does mean its location is ideal for the underground, and Kensington Hight St station is an easy walk from the hotel

Unique Quality: A good quality hotel at an affordable price

RaVenSymPhoNie's Profile Photo

The Great Hotel Next Door

by written on March 27, 2005

After 2 days of no air conditioning and a tiny room at the Kensington Close Hotel next door, I checked in at this hotel for a few dollars more a night. Who ever thought a half star upgrade made such a difference? The staff was very friendly, and the rooms were spacious, clean, and comfortable. Located just a block or so from the High Street Kensington Tube Station, this hotel is in a great location, but remains in a nice, secluded area. Within a couple blocks are tons of restaraunts, shops, parks for jogging, a grocery store, and an Internet Cafe. Though there are no spa services on site, they are available at the hotel next door, so you have the best of both worlds. All in all, a great experience.

Unique Quality: The hotel staff is great, and provide a place to store your luggage after you check out if your flight doesn't leave for a few hours. There are Internet terminals in the lobby for hire, and there is always a man at the door who will hail your cab for you.

FYI, this hotel is situated over the tube tracks, so you may get a little noise. It didn't bother me, though.

Directions: High Street Kensington

Dabs's Profile Photo

Comfortable lodging-Kensington (Priceline)

by written on April 21, 2004

Most recent stay August 2008

I've stayed at the Copthorne Tara at least four times, all winning bids on Priceline for a 4* in Kensington, the most recent in August 2008 was $90 per night plus tax. I've seen a lot of bad reviews and maybe I've been lucky but I've never had a complaint while staying here. Perhaps it's not a 4* hotel but believe me it's a heck of a lot better than what you can get by paying $100 per night without using Priceline.

I'm not a very demanding traveler, I like for my hotel room to be clean, the bed to be comfortable, the hotel convenient to sites or to public transportation and to be quiet at night. The Copthorne Tara fulfilled all of those requirements.

Check in was quick, maybe 10 minutes. The room was prepaid and I didn't have any charges so we slipped our key in a box on the front desk on the way out. We requested rooms with 2 beds in them and the request was noted in their computer and honored.

The hotel is in a nice residential neighborhood within walking distance of Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park, the High Street Kensington tube station with access to the circle and district lines was no more than a 5 minute walk, there was a Marks & Spencer food hall, a Tesco Metro and Whole Foods within a couple of blocks and a Waitrose within about 10 minute walk to stock up on breakfast supplies. A lot of restaurants within walking distance including branches of Wagamama, Strada, and Giraffee and a couple of the Maroush chain-Randa and Ranoush Juice.

The room had a hair dryer, a/c and a small refrigerator which is great for storing drinks, yogurt, milk, etc. I believe there's an ironing board and there's a teapot and tea in the room.

Unique Quality: I've stayed in both twin rooms and double rooms, most of the rooms have separate faucets for hot and cold but we had one that had both out of the same faucet. The rooms are decent sized, for a few nights we added a cot to one of the rooms and had to pull the small table out.

Toiletries are shampoo, bath gel and bar soap. Shower pressure good, plenty of hot water and decent towels.

Some of the rooms face the tube station which is above ground at that point and although we could hear it, the noise wasn't terribly loud. It's a very popular hotel with tour groups and airline personnel.

Internet access in the lobby for £1 for 20 minutes, more convenient than running down to the Easy Internet cafe down the street.

Directions: less than a 5 minute walk from the High Street Kensington tube

doogienj's Profile Photo

Kensington Hotel

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 3, 2004

If you want to stay in the Kensington area, this hotel has a great location. It's a block away from Kensington High Street and the "tube" station.

Since I was on business, I had a decent rate, but would not have choosen this location if I was on vacation.

The cable TV selection was pretty lousy. The rooms do not have a minibar. There is no health club.

Unique Quality: Good location if you are staying in Kensington. A really good English breakfast is included in the room rate.

Make sure to ask for what type of bed you want. I didn't and got two twin beds.

The hotel offers parking for 15 pounds per day. But you can give the doorman 5 pounds and he'll park it right in front of the hotel for you.

Directions: Kensington

Sharrie's Profile Photo

COPTHORNE TARA LONDON.

by written on September 12, 2002

COPTHORNE TARA LONDON.

GBP 115-125.

Unique Quality: 4* hotel located within walking distance from South Kensington tube.
There's a great Thai restaurant just within a few steps from the hotel.

Nearby Copthorne Tara Hotel London Kensington

• Business Services
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Trafalgar Square
Buckingham Palace
Piccadilly
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Taxis
Department stores
Driving in London
Souvenirs
Shopping
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Train / Bus Stations
Pigeons
Arts and Entertainment
Architectural
Favorites
Public Transport (not taxis)
Money Matters
Galileo's Locanda Toscana
Food Vendors
Micky's Fish Bar, Paddington
Restaurants
Theatre and Shows (including tickets)
Gojo, Notting Hill