8 Cranley Gardens, London, EN SW7

Rated 21% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

More about London

Admiralty Arch, LondonAdmiralty Arch, London

Oxford Street - LondonOxford Street - London

The bar/lounge area.The bar/lounge area.

Sir John Soane's MuseumSir John Soane's Museum

snow/ski equipment

by celtic10

Hi
My son is in a bit of panic has been travelling and now booked a one week ski trip in Austria but need to buy gloves and goggles other equipment supplied anyone know of shop where I can buy reasonably priced but quality gear in or around london or further afield he's on public transport Hope you can help me as not much time to shop
Thanks in advance

Milletts branches (lots in London):

Snow & Rock store locator:

Loads more, but I'd start with Milletts.

by CatherineReichardt

Hi
I would suggest that he goes onto ebay to find what he wants. We did this for our recent trip to Austria (the first time that we had been skiing) and it worked like a charm! Maybe if he gets a taste for it, he can buy new gear, but for a first timer, it's quite an outlay to buy new stuff for a sport you may decide not to pursue.
I would look for a skisuit, goggles and gauntlet-style gloves (to keep your wrists warm). I was surprised at how much of a difference high quality thermal underwear and ski socks made, as does a good warm hat. We deliberately bought two piece outfits (salopettes + ski jackets) so that we could use the jackets as cold weather wear for other destinations, even if we decided not to go skiing again - they were a lifesaver for a subsequent trip to icy Tallinn in mid December!
Hope this helps!
Regards
Cathy

by leics

Ebay is indeed a good idea. Buying online from the stores I have listed is also a possibility.

But I think it is only gloves and goggles that are needed? In that case, I'd suggest just popping into Milletts etc. At this time of year there may even be reductions.

by taurean_traveller

I agree with Leics.
We don't know how much time is left for the poster and delivery times from ebay can't be guaranteed,but a trip to Millets is probably the best option.
There is a huge shop for outdoor pursuits just near Covent Garden but for the life of me cannot recall the name.

by cubsur

Shops in London, Bristol or Birmingham??

by celtic10

thanks for all the replies if you do remember covent garden store can you let me know cheers

by leics

I think it may be Snow & Rock. They have their flagship branch in Covent Garden.

by planxty

Not sure if it is the one referred to but I have always found the Mountain Warehouse in Southampton Street to be good and inexpensive. Basically, they sell remaindered stock from other places.

Here is a link.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

Travel Tips for London

Typical Street Scene in London

by riorich55

This subpoint in the area of VT called General Tip asks to enter the single most important activity or site to take someone who had never been to London before. I'll answer this category question with the standard answer I have been giving all my co-workers this week after my first week back, "in which city, on what day, in which hour" would you like to know about?"

This picture below happened in London, on our 3rd Day in town around the noon hour near Westminster Abbey, Parliament and Big Ben. What struck me about this picture I took was the variety of activities in and around Parliament. First, you have the official government offices of Great Britain with its security in place surrounding the complex. A part of this complex are the bells of Big Ben which I happened to catch striking 12 bells at noon on my camcorder. Then there are the people. In this picture we see a variety of people. The people on the left (tourist like myself) checking their map. Maybe all they needed to do was look at the sign behind them! The little girl and her mother(?) in the middle of the photo seemingly enjoying being out after a brief rain shower and finally the man at the right who was hurrying off to somewhere.

Check this picture further and you will also find at least 5 modes of transportation. 2 buses, a black cab, motorbike, car and an entrance to the Tube in the background.

Visit the Tower of London. It...

by sluecc

Visit the Tower of London. It is filled with so much history and of course the crown jewels. I had the greatest opportunity to attend 'Trouping the Color'. It really showed all of the pomp and circumstance that is truly British.

London is a Retreat

by mrclay2000

Just west of Mayfair near central London, the large city parks of Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens form a large retreat from the urban craze of London streets. Although the walks themselves are not that scenic, the area is fringed with tourist attractions: Harrod's, the Victoria & Albert Museum, and Kensington Palace among others.

Mini VT meeting 30th August 2003

by phil_uk_net

Lina (A2002) arranged this London meeting that was attended by Phil (pmarshuk) and myself.
I think it's fair to say that we all felt very comfortable with each other right from the start and I, for one, had a thoroughly enjoyable time!

Buying drinks

by phil_uk_net

When drinking in a group, drinks are bought in rounds. That is, one person will buy a round for the whole group and then the next person does the same, etc etc. English people find it peculiar when groups of foreign people (normally students) come into a pub and each buy their own drinks.
The exception is for those occasions when a very large group of people get together and there will not be an opportunity for each person to buy a round. What sometimes happens in this situation is that everyone will put some money into a 'kitty'. The keeper of the kitty will then do the drink ordering for everyone and pay from the kitty.

Comments