Crowne Plaza London Shoreditch

Hotels.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 29% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Cham's Profile Photo

Contemporary Hotel in London

The hotel is situated in shoreditch which is one of the up and coming areas for those that are musically orientated and those who are into fashionable bars and restaurants. The area is really great for nightlife and socialising because it always seems to be busy, even on a monday night. Shopping on the high st 5 minutes walk from the hotel is full of small privately owned shops that don't sell the same thing you can buy anywhere.

walking 10 minutes in the opposite direction will take you to Liverpool St station and this is one of the main stations in london as there are links from here to all over the country (Including a direct train to Standsted Airport, see tip on Standsted Express). Liverpool St station is also known for being the boarder of the city of london and east london so you can expect to see a lot of different cultures and contrasts here.

Enough about the proximity of everything lets talk about the hotel itself. For the amount of money you pay per night (which can vary from £59 to £200) the rooms are pretty small. Saying that having stayed in a few other london hotels they're not as small as a lot of places. Please remember that london is now officially per sq metre the most expensive city in the world. When booking though look around for prices on this hotel as they can vary widely.

The thing that makes this hotel stand out though is how new it is. Most hotels in london are pretty old and play on this charm. The St Gregory hotel is a good place to be if you're used to these contemporary hotels as they a lot of features (listed below) that are not available in most london hotels.

Unique Quality: Rooftop restuarant (great view of the city)
    Fitness studio 24hr
    Cocktail Lounge
    Lobby Bar
    Air conditioning (something most hotels don't offer)
    Broadband Internet Connection (another thing that seperates this from other hotels)

By far one of the best qualities of this place is the amount of natural light available thanks to the large windows in each room. Victorian hotels might be nice but they can be a little dark.

There is a car park here although they charge a fortune for a day's parking. Across the road is a petrol station and next to that there's a car park that charges less than half the rate of the hotel. Please also be aware that unless taking a taxi you cannot park in front of the hotel as it's a red route

Directions: Get to Liverpool st station via central/circle line, take the bishopsgate exit (that's the exit near platform 17) turn left out of the station and keep walking for 5-10 minutes until you see st gregory on the right

• Affordable East London

The Saint Gregory is a new, modern hotel with clean, quiet and spacious rooms. The international staff were not very knowledgeable on local transport but we were able to figure out the best ways to get around. It is centrally located for visiting Central London and Greenwich.

Unique Quality: London is known as a city where accommodations are expensive for what you get. The Saint Gregory offers very nice rooms and amenities for a very affordable price.

Directions: It's about a 15 minute walk north of the Liverpool Street station. I would recommend taking the bus if you are carrying your baggage.

More about Crowne Plaza London Shoreditch

Thumbs Up for the Saint Gregory

by TripAdvisor Member Bododo

Ok, so it's a while since I stayed here but I literally only discovered this website yesterday. What can I say about this hotel? My friend booked it through lastminute[-] and having never booked anything online before I was a bit wary. Nevertheless the website looked fairly encouraging. We arrived at about midday on the Friday afternoon and were able to park the car in the underground car park and leave our luggage until we returned that evening. Other reviewers are right to mention the fairly expensive cost of parking here although I would rather pay it than leave it to chance on some of the side roads. It's true to say that this hotel is not in a very desirable area and in fact looks totally out of keeping with its surroundings but both from the outside and inside it's an impressive building. The whole decor was minimalist and the lobby was clean, bright and uncluttered. The staff were helpful at all times and the concierge could not have been more accommodating. We'd ordered a twin room which was clean and large and the bathroom was immaculate. We also had a bucket of champagne on ice waiting for us (but I assume that must have been a website deal!). During the day we felt perfectly safe walking the 15 or 20 minutes to Liverpool Street Station - at night we caught a cab. To be honest, I would do that in any major city late at night as it's common sense at the end of the day. Neither my friend nor I are big eaters although we both had more than enough at breakfast time - my one gripe was that the staff in the dining area weren't always particularly quick off the mark. They weren't unpleasant though - I just took it to mean they were a bit rushed off their feet. The views from the dining area were impressive - you get a great view of the 'Gherkin' building! For the weekend we were at the hotel we were literally only there first thing in the morning and last thing at night but we were there long enough for me to immediately decide that if ever I need to stay in London again the Saint Gregory will be top of my list. I really couldn't fault it as it was a most enjoyable stay, made all the better by the helpful and friendly nature of all the staff we encountered. A definite 10 out of 10!!

Ok if getting a good internet deal

In a nutshell

Very slow check in and check out (mine was 30 minutes). Pay when you arrive if you can then just give your room key card to any member of staff and not have to queue when checking out.
Lots of foreign staff (english not great if you have a problem that needs sorting)
Bum fight for breakfast (slow clearing tables and replenishing the self service food)
Housekeeping came into my room without knocking
If booking though an internet company ring Saint Gregory the night before to make sure the hotel have your booking on the hotel computer to aid your check in as I saw many guests have the same problem I did, which seems to be the hotels fault every time.
The shared areas i.e lounge section is not very welcoming more of a check in and taxi waiting area.

Good points
Good if you get a cheap internet rate
My bathroom was lovely
5 min walk to Hoxton Square in Shoreditch
for trendy bars.

Not bad but expensive

by TripAdvisor Member RogueAssassin

Stayed at the St Gregory for a couple of nights recently whilst on a training course. Chose the hotel due to its general location close to Liverpool Street tube (about 10 mins walk) as I needed the Central Line.

In a nutshell the hotel is quite nice. My room was an Executive Double so cant comment on other rooms but found this room to be fairly spacious and very well decorated / maintained.

The bathroom was quite luxurious and very clean but was let down by a poor shower (is a glass screen too much to ask for instead of a curtain) that had very little water pressure. This may seem picky but when I am paying over 100 a night I would expect to be able to have a nice shower after a sweaty journey on the tube.

I didnt eat at the hotel as the food prices are outrageous. £14 for a breakfast!!!! Unacceptable even for a hotel.

The general area around the hotel is not very nice. There are no nice places to eat and the area is pretty run down. I would suggest eating in the centre of London and then coming out to the hotel to sleep. Also there is a LOT of noise that comes from Shoreditch High Street even with the windows closed (they wouldnt open) so again if prime sleep is a key factor you may well be better off going elsewhere.

Summary .. nice clean hotel, spacious room, food overpriced, local area could be better.

excellent value, but staff need training in manners!

I was booked int the St Gregory for two nights. On arrival check in was quick and the reception staff were very pleasant.
The room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean.
The hotel bar had a pleasant ambience.
The view over London whilst having breakfast almost made up for the rudeness of a particular member of staff.
My main issue is the hotels complaints procedure. I made a serious complaint whilst there and was asked to make a statement regarding that complaint, by the hotels Operations Manager.
I am still waiting for them to get back to me almost two weeks later.
Unfortunately my experience has put me off ever staying there again, even though the hotel has a lot of plus points.

Good deal on double room with breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member Barbie61

This rather new 4-star is oddly located in the middle of a very scruffy east London neighbourhood at 100 Shoreditch High Street, but its charms should NOT be overlooked (Tube: Liverpool Street, then it's a good 10-minute hike to the hotel.)

We booked a twin room for 3 nights through Direct Hotels in April 2005 for our September arrival. Breakfast was included. Price: £324.00 ($752.72 Canadian).

Rooms are modern without being cold (creams, browns and cinnabar), with a most elegant marble and glass bathroom. Extra points for the super shower; it was like standing in a gentle rain. Our room was at the back so there was lovely quiet and minimal views.

The jewel in its crown is The Globe Restaurant on the 7th floor. Two walls of glass face west and south. Over your all-you-can-eat hot-and-cold buffet breakfast with fresh-squeezed orange juice (for which walk-ins pay a steep £14.50), you can see St. Paul's and the 'gherkin' down the road. They get further extra points for leaving the pot of delicious coffee on the table.

We returned to the restaurant for a delicious dinner for two with 3 glasses of house wine each. Price: An astonishing, jaw-dropping £46. I had sumptuous pasta carbonara, luscious with cream and Parmesan, while my guest had a perfectly-grilled steak. We both had a calorie-rich chocolate dessert. The menu is short but good, and the wine list is quite compehensive. The night view of twinkly London is absolutely superb, as is the service. Most of the waiters are Spanish

Don't miss it for dinner as prices are sure to go up.

Watch out for the hotel's taxi service. They will try to pawn you off onto their own illegal drivers. Flag down a cheaper black cab instead.

Would I return? Yes. Staff are pleasant and helpful and the bed was extremely comfy. There is a general air of cleanliness and care that works for me.

a gem of hotel

by TripAdvisor Member susiewonder

We stayed in this hotel for one night and i was pleasantly surprised by it. the location is not exactly central as it is near liverpool street station, BUT the underground trains run all the time into the centre of london so quickly that before you know it, you are on oxford street. the hotel itself is about a 10 minute walk for the station but if you are not sure of the location., there are lots of taxis to take you there.
The hotel itself is bright, new and airy. i had no problems with check in. we arrived brfore the check in time, but they happily checked us in and also gave us an option of the front or back of the building. The back is very quiet. The rooms themselves are a good size, the bathrooms are large and very spacious, with a great shower! The beds are comfortable and in all, the rooms are great for the price. There is also a safety deposit box in the room to keep those valuables in.

I booked it through easyjet and it was great as the breakfast was included in the price(around £70 a night). you get to eat on the 7th floor, looking out over the sight of east london and the choice of breakfast is extensive. There is fruit, cooked breakfast and also bread/croissants for the continental breakfeast eater. All in all, good, clean hotel at a good price for London! i would go back there again

Nice little hotel, perhaps ahead of the times

First of all, if you can walk from the Liverpool station to the Gregory in 10
minutes, you are ready to break the 4 minute mile. It is a brisk 15 minute hike,
but it looks as if they are building an underground stop, just a few blocks away.
The neighborhood is a little seedy, but that, too, is a work in progress. Things
are changing, and the St Gregory will be well-positioned in a couple of years.
Great internet rates, breakfast included. Lovely views from the 7th floor Globe restaurant, food in the morning was OK, service non-existent,(I was not the
recipient of the coffee pot on the table, and our cups usually empty) All in
all, very clean and nice, and stay here while the rates are reasonable, Its
only a year old.

Loved the saint gregory

by TripAdvisor Member tottie

Just come back from a nights stay at the Saint Gregory. I took my 15 year old nephew to this hotel and we were really imprssed. We paid £73.00 for the two of us and this included full English breakfast. The room was very large and very well equipped. Just 10 minutes walk from Liverpool Street station- which wasnt a hassle at all. The hotel restaurant was excellent and the food reasobably priced. Plenty of choice for breakfast from cooked to continental. The saint bar was really good and fairly reasonably priced. No moans at all.

Comments