DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - West End

DoubleTree by Hilton London - West End
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 42% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• A nice stay in the heart of London

I chose the Bonnington because it was in my price range and was part of a package deal with British Airways.

The staff was VERY nice from the moment I was picked up at the airport. Because I was the only passenger, and his last pickup of the day, my shuttle driver gave me a really nice tour of the city. It was so nice of him and he really gave me a lot of information about where to go and what do to.

My first room was on the third floor on the street side of the building. It was tiny but no tinier than rooms you would find in New York City and the bathroom was huge. The only problem was it was very noisy. However, the staff was very accommodating and moved me to a different room on the 4th floor in the back after my first night.

A traditional English breakfast came with my deal. The buffet was always stocked and the restaurant staff was equally as friendly and helpful. The food was good and very plentiful. although it would have been nice to have a bit more variety, but that was only because I was there for an entire week so I got tired of eating the same thing every day LOL.

I don't remember the actual cost of the rooms per night, but I'm sure it wasn't a lot as I was on a tight budget for the trip.

Unique Quality: Aside from the staff the best part of this hotel was its location. It was in a nice safe-feeling neighborhood with lots of restaurants and little shops. The British Museum was less than a 5-minute walk and the Tube station was nearby as well.

• ONG_COCO's Profile Photo

Bonnington in Bloomsbury

I booked this hotel through British Airways Holidays and i must admit it was more than what i expected. The rooms are good, comfortable, spacious and clean. I would considered it a 5 stars hotel!!! Initially i thought that most hotels in London will be very small and crampy like those in Japan but i was wrong! The rooms are even better than those i stayed in Germany or Birmingham. The plus point of this hotel is the close proximity to the British Museum and i always use the british Museum as my landmark to return to the hotel. There are plently of convenient stores along the street and there is one just next to hotel which sell the day travelcard! The hotel is also near to two tube stations!

Unique Quality: Superb location, room size, comfortable beds and great service! The breakfast has a good and wide spread. Many choices but somehow i find them a bit too salty for me.

• Excellent hotel

Stayed for 4 nights in Sept 05. Great location (3-5 min walk to holborn which has the central and piccadilly lines), clean rooms, english breakfast for two included in hotels.com price of $135/nt. Staff was friendly and helpful, and I would not hesitate to return. Ive stayed in several hotels in Bloomsbury and this was definetely the best value around.

• RumRunner's Profile Photo

Great value for the money

I stayed at the Bonnington in a single room (as a solo female traveler) from April 14 through April 22. I paid 66 pounds per night and felt that was a good price.

As already mentioned, the rooms are small but cozy. I would guess the room was about 8 feet wide and 12 feet long, not including the bath.

The bed and pillow were very comfortable. The bed is up against the wall with bumpers around in case you roll into the wall. At the foot of the bed was a trouser press (I did not use it) and to the right foot of the bed was the closet with safe. The closet was large enough me. Next to/across from the bed was a small desk/vanity/mirror with a drawer and cabinet wih 2 shelves. A tv was mounted on the wall next to the desk, beneath that was a shelf for storage. Right next to the bed was a tiny night stand with telephone on it. There was also a small ledge around the bed.

The blowdryer (at the desk) worked very well, was much more powerful than most hotel blow dryers and dried my thick medium length hair quickly.

The bathroom was fine, good size, everything worked well. Shower always had hot water and good pressure. Towels were always very plush and bright white. They had a small soap and a shower cap and glass in the bathroom.

There was always a queue for breakfasat and the room was always very busy and rushed and you are always getting bumped into. The food itself was fine (cereals, whole milk, fruit, eggs, sausages, ham/bacon, hash browns, etc). I didn't go to breakfast every day just because I didn't like the "ambiance" there.

I had one drink in the bar and it was comfortable and people were watching a game on the big-screen tv. I didn't spend a lot of time there.

Beware that the gym is an extra 5 pounds per use if you are not in an executive room.

This is a good place for the money and I would stay again for a good rate but wouldn't depend on the breakfast; I don't like starting my day out rushed when I know I'll be rushing around the rest of the day. I think that was the only thing I was dissapointed in.

Unique Quality: The bed was soooo comfortable, it was like a feather bed. And the comforter was down also, so comfortable.

The location of the hotel is very good. You are right between Russel Square and Holborn underground stops. I think Holborn was a tad closer. There is also a Tesco Express right next door that always had very good sandwiches and chocolate croissants. I ate at Pizza Express about a block away and that was very good. There is a McDonald's near the Holborn station if you want that. There are plenty of places to eat, restaurants or pubs nearby. Chemist was there, some little shops near by too. New Oxford Street is very close for shopping. British Museum is very close as well.

The neighborhood is quieter at night.

Directions: In Bloomsbury between the Russell Square and Holburn stations. Oxford Street very close. British Museum 1 block away.

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Bedding in Bloomsbury

This hotel is billed as a 4 star and, for London, pretty much deserves its rating. It's a big, clean and friendly hotel situated on a busy but central London street. It opened in 1911 and has held up well over the years, I believe it's a favourite with business travellers.
    The front lobby is very large and makes you feel confident that you've made the right choice from the moment you walk in the door. The reception counter is off to the right and I was checked in and on my way to my room within minutes. Also available in the lobby is a counter which deals with all matters tourism, whether it's finding an attraction or getting a car to the airport they're the ones to help.
    The elevators are to the left, same side as tourist counter, and further along the same wall is Waterfalls restaurant where you'll partake in your buffet breakfast. The breakfast was included in the price of the room.
    Across from the restaurant, also available for other meals, is a small sports bar, named Malt Bar, where you can also purchase meals. I had a meal in here one night while watching a football game on the huge screen on the wall. There were a lot of people in there watching the game and filling up on drinks from the bar.
    In between the restaurant and bar is a small lounge where you can rest and wait for people.

I stayed for 3 nights and quite enjoyed my stay.

The prices on their website are high but you can do much, much better checking elsewhere. The normal rack rate for the room I had is £130 but I paid £60 by booking through the British Airways website.

Unique Quality: My room was a single and was of decent size with a full bath. If you've been in British hotels you know that they tend to be on the small size unless you're paying big bucks, and even then they sometimes aren't huge.
    The bed was comfortable and the room was nice and clean. In the pic I'm standing in the bathroom to take the picture. Behind the door to the left is a small desk and the door to the hall and to my right is a small cupboard to hang clothes, and I do mean small. There's also a trouser press so you can stay somewhat presentable ;-)
    The usual tea/coffee making facilities are included in the room along with a hairdryer.
    I'd been warned that rooms facing the street can be slightly noisy but I didn't have the chance to find out as mine faced inside over a small roof.
    There is an Executive Wing that I didn't see but it sounds nice from the website.

The buffet my favourite kind of breakfast in England, it has all the makings of a traditional English Breakfast but you can have as much or as little as you want and avoiding what you don't want. Of course, cereal and cold food are available as well. The wait staff will bring you coffee and tea but help yourself to the various juices that are availble. I think the staff also brought you your toast as well. Don't seat yourself when you arrive, wait at the entranceway and a member of the staff will find a table for you.

One big plus for this hotel is its location. It's between two tube stops, Holborn and Russell Square and no more than 10 minutes walk, at my pace was about 5, from either of them. The British Museum is about 5 minutes walk away along with numerous pubs, restaurants and shops. I even purchased an extra bag just down the street as I'd purchased so much on my holiday.
    Stops for shuttles to the airport are not far away and KIngs Cross Station is only two stops away, though I took as taxi as my bags were heavy.

Directions: Between Holborn and Russell Square tube stops, no more than 10 minute walk. From Heathrow take Picadilly line to either stop or journey on the Airbus to Russell Square.

• tomruth78's Profile Photo

Londons best hotel on Southampton Row

I have stayed here twice now, once for an anniversary and the other for a trip to London. The hotel is in a great location for the theatre district and is within easy walking distance to the underground. We paid £75.00 per room per night including breakfast. I have seen some room deals as cheap as £40.00.

Unique Quality: The hotel is clean with great service and a good breakfast. What more can you ask for?

Directions: From Heathrow : By underground tube direct to Russell Square/Holborn or Airbus to Russell Square.

More about Park Inn London - Russell Square

A nice spot in London

by eschroeder12 about Bonnington Hotel

Great hotel with breakfast included. Very close to the British History Museum. The elevator is quite small so if you have a lot of luggage be careful.

Outstanding value

by TripAdvisor Member ZYXWVUTS

I travel a lot on business, so when I'm paying my own bill I tend to expect more than I'm paying for! The Bonnington delivers. A great location, good service, room quality significantly above its price range, and a good breakfast thrown in - and if you get a deal like I did it costs less than a budget "inn" or "lodge".

Awesome hotel.

For the prices I expected a decent budget hotel, and instead was very pleasantly surprised! Nice soft beds, black-out curtains; the hotel is very nicely furnished. The rooms are a little small but at these prices in London, no-one should expect anything more.
A huge bonus was the WI-FI in the bar/lounge area - this is one of the few hotels that does have WI-FI in the UK.
Awesome service. Room service doesn't even give you the chance to get your knickers on!
I will be returning to this hotel everytime I go to London now.

Taxi fares from Gatwick to Bonnington Hotel

by pursey

My son and his fiancee are traveling to London prior to going to Scotland to be married. He will be carrying his fiancee's wedding gown, therefore, he will need to take a taxi from Gatwick Airport to the Bonnington Hotel, 92 Southampton Row.

Does anyone know approximately what the taxi fare will be and, what is the name of the Taxi company?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

RE: Taxi fares from Gatwick to Bonnington Hotel

by sam_999

A minicab from London to Gatwick costs about £40, then it depends where from. Taxis from Gatwick and London Black taxis are more expensive. I have not used the taxi service from the airport ( you can get these from the airport) but i would say that they are twice as expensive.

sam

RE: Taxi fares from Gatwick to Bonnington Hotel

by seljohn

hi,
it's going to cost around £85 GBP. so quite expensive. If that is an issue, maybe take a train to London Bridge and then a Taxi from there, should only be around £10. Train fare @ £12-£15 each. Travel from the airport station is direct and should present no real problems.

the taxi cab company at Gatwick is Checkercars.

Checker Cars has a booking office in the North Terminal arrivals area. You can also contact them by phone 0800 747 737 (Freephone UK only), fax: +44 (0)1293 569790 or email: bookings@checkercars.com

the website for Gatwick is www.baa.co.uk then select Gatwick from the list.

Incidentally, if your son and his fiancee have not made travel arrangements to Scotland, it is best to do this as early as possible. To turn up at the station on the day of travel and purchase tickets is generally the most expensive way to do things.

Good luck and I hope things go well for all of you.

seljohn