26 Cadogan Gardens, London, SW3 2RP, United Kingdom
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

More about Draycott Hotel

Draycott Hotel provided a lovely stay

My husband and I just returned from London and stayed at the Draycott Hotel, due in large part to the reviews we read here. As other readers have mentioned, we felt we were staying in someone's home, rather than at a commercial property. We requested a garden view room and were placed in the Agatha Christie suite. The bedroom and sitting area which overlooked the quiet gardens were all one big room. There was a small but efficient kitchen with freezer and refrigerator, a microwave and conventional oven as well as a washer and dryer. Unfortunately, the operating instructions for the washer/dryer were missing and it was impossible to figure it out. The bathroom was down the hall. It had two pedestal sinks with a long shelf over them and a large tub/shower. There was also a hair dryer attached to the wall by the sink. Closet space was ample and we do not travel light! Breakfast was included and was either brought to the room at a requested time or served downstairs in the small dining area. The food choices were numerous and the fruit was especially good. Tea, champagne, cookies and hot chocolate are offered at different times during the day, all complimentary. The staff were friendly and helpful with restaurant recommendations. The location was superb. We have been to London twice in the last two years and stayed at Dukes and the Dorchester. Both experiences were good. This was the best of the three. Kings Road restaurants and shopping were around the corner and Harrods and Brompton Road were a short stroll away. My husband and I are both runners and Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens was a short run from the hotel. I would highly recommend this hotel and will stay here again.

Wedding Bells Ring

Last weekend was special as our daughter was married on Saturday. She had a ceremony in Chelsea Town Small Hall in a non-traditional occasion in London. We, the parents, wanted a comfortable, calm background from which to organise the day. We chose The Draycott Hotel, 26 Cadogan Gardens, just off the King's Road in Chelsea.

Our room was superb. It was spacious, quiet, overlooking quiet gardens and had every facility possible. The staff were charming, attentive, friendly and interested in the event. On Saturday morning, mountains of backpacking honeymoon luggage were lugged up to our room. Pots of tea brought with a smile throughout the morning as flowers, hairdresser, photographer, bridesmaid all arrived. We went off to the wedding with smiles and congratulations on the hottest day of the year.

After the reception in the small hours of the morning, the newly married couple arrived back at The Draycott Hotel. Showers, more drinks, luggage taken downstairs and they were off at 2.30am. with cheerful waves from the night staff.

The next morning, the proud parents were treated to a sumptous breakfast in the library. Courtesy, friendliness and interest without intrusiveness are the watchwords of this hotel. We've stayed in many hotels throughout the world. This is the best.

Fantastic Stay at The Dracott

by TripAdvisor Member GTonHarbor

Having just returned to the states after 12 glorious days in London, I cannot say enough about my 1st stay The Draycott. It truly is a 5 star Luxury Boutique hotel. Decorated with lovely English fabrics and antiques, it has a very traditional feeling, much like a club, and the staff couldn't have been nicer or more professional. It is ideally located just off of busy Sloane Square, but feels like a country house as soon as you enter the front doors. My suite had a lovely spacious bedroom with wonderfully high windows & ceilings, and a comfortable small sitting room attached. I could have stayed for months, and can't wait to return next spring!

A Quiet Refuge

by TripAdvisor Member MikeONYC

We came to London after ten days in Scotland and the Lake District only to be greeted by incredibly hot weather (about 94 degrees). I was worried, as I had decided to risk trying a smaller hotel (we've stayed at the Dorchester and Lanesborough many times), and older properties are known for their lack of air conditioning. No issue there -- our rooms were kept just as icy as we wanted!

The Draycott is really an exceptionally pleasant place to stay, if always a bit of a challenge to locate! Service is first rate, and the breakfasts were fine and prompt. We stayed in the Bennett suite, which is a large bedroom with sitting area, huge bath, and a terrific and very modern little kitchen with a washer and dryer! The decor is strie and chintz, very English,and lovely, with a nice view of the garden. Our kids stayed in the connecting Lewis Carroll suite, a medium bedroom with small sitting room -- very serviceable, and all together, our rooms made a nice two bedroom, 2 1/2 bath suite with a kitchen, accessed through a single front door.

The shopping in the area is terrific, and all of London is a short taxi or tube ride away. The gym they have a deal with is a good 10 minute walk, but it's a US-style full gym with pool, and a really pleasant stroll (yes, I stopped at Starbucks for coffee on the way.)

The web site and brochure photos are quite accurate. I have attached one or two shots, but felt my photos would add little to theirs.

One recommendation: While the Bennet Suite was very nice, the room directly beneath it has a larger bay window with a small terrace and French doors. You can see this in the rear facade photo. These rooms are on the first floor. I think those are likely the best in the hotel, though I do not know if any have the kitchen.

In summary, we stay at exclusively 5-star and higher hotels, and the Draycott won us over with its intimacy, good service, and genial atmosphere. If you want big hotel frills or a sweeping view, need a big lobby and fancy entrance, this isn't it. I also thought their prices pretty fair, given the London market, and the comfort of the house.

Mixed

by TripAdvisor Member ElizabethStreetMoM

We had a lovely large room at the Draycott. Like many older hotels the plumbing was quirky, but fine. The bed was lovely as was the decor. The staff was most congenial. The staff wanted to be helpful, but when it came down to it, most did not seem to know their way around London as apparently most don't live in London. They did consult guide books and the computer however to find the answers to questions.
One of our family members was feeling ill and we asked to see a doctor and they had no idea of how to locate one. They directed us to the local Boots pharmacy which was equally unhelpful. Fortunately after a few days the family member luckily recovered, but it would have put our minds at ease if we could have been directed to a physician.
The Draycott is on a quiet street. The breakfasts were tasty.

Nice but too quiet...

by TripAdvisor Member DamoclesPorkSword

Very nice, quiet, and homey, but not on a par with some of the other top 10 here such as Claridges, or the Covent Garden. Perhaps a little too quiet-- but some may want that. Why come to London though?

Fantastic location, perfect service and wonderful garden for our kids!

by TripAdvisor Member deltaq

Stayed in a 1 bed suite with separate sitting room in which they placed an extra bed for my older child. The younger one had a crib in the our bedroom. Living space was fine during the day as we folded up the extra bed.

The kids loved the garden and I found the service to be just right, everything I asked for was brought straightaway with a smile and the breakfast was excellent too. Nothing was too much trouble - we had arrived in the morning off the red-eye from NY and our suite was not ready - however as my husband had to get to work, they let us use another room so he could shower etc.

Would love to stay there again on our next trip!

Watch out for the single rooms

by TripAdvisor Member johnpw

The location, common rooms, and gardens are very nice, but I was disappointed with my single room (I wish I could remember the name - I think it was the name of an author beginning with "Edith").

To the hotel's credit, they warn you at the time of booking that it is a very small room. However, THEY DO NOT TELL YOU that a) it is essentially windowless, because the window is completely frosted over to hide the ugly view of a utility shaft - it makes you feel very claustrophobic, and b) to add insult to injury, there is ridiculously little electric lighting in the room, only adding to the cave-like feel of the place. In addition, the bed is a very short converted sofa (I'm only 5'10" but it was still too short for me) and the a/c did not work properly while I was there during a hot spell in April.

All in all, it was a very uncomfortable stay, although I have to say that the bathroom - considering the tiny space - was pretty well designed and user-friendly. I would just recommend that people stay away from these small singles unless they like living like a bat!

The Best yet

I travel down to London on a regular basis and have stayed in many of the best hotels in London. A friend suggested that I should stay at the Draycott as they had very good reviews on Trip Advisor. I stayed in a double room over looking the garden at the back of the hotel. From the moment I walked through the door I felt at home. The staff were excellent particularly the guy working over night. One of the things that struck me was the size of the rooms, as I said earlier I have stayed in many hotels and some pokey little rooms. The room I had was very large compered with most. It was air conditioned and had a real effect gas fire. Oh and one other thing I thought was great, they give all there guests tea and biscuits in the afternoon, a glass of champagne in the evening and when you come back after dinner there is hot chocolate waiting. All of this is on the house!

I am looking forward to returning.

Wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member v2mask

We were on a driving holiday in England for almost 3 weeks, the last 2 days were spent at the Draycott, it was perfect. The room and the staff were superb.

The Dock and Duck pub signThe Dock and Duck pub sign

NewtonNewton

Alice's antiques, well-stocked & well-known!Alice's antiques, well-stocked & well-known!

The pickle has landed!The pickle has landed!

London Picadilly Street station to Chelmsford

by embi40

I've checked online on the East Anglia railway site to scope out timetables for the day we need to go to Chelmsford and except for the 2 earliest trains (on M-F) everything requires a switch to a bus in Ingatestone. Is this because I am traveling on Good Friday (10 April)? Because I have never had to do this before when I have traveled from Picadilly Street station to Chelmsford.

Thanks!
MB

by leics

Imo, it is best to use the official UK railway site on www.nationalrail.co.uk rather than individual operator's site. Nationalrail lists all trains, all routes and all fares.

To answer your question, the bus option may be because of the holiday and/or planned engineering works. There is no bus replacement service in action at the moment, and none on 9th April.

by puerto_lover

Engineering works all weekend. For details of planned disruptions on UK rail look at:

by embi40

Thanks for the prompt replies! Looks like I end up on the bus no matter what on that Friday. Oh well- all part of the adventure, yeah?

by leics

Many/most railway engineering works are planned to coincide with weekends and holidays in the UK, so bus replacement services are entirely normal.

Enjoy! :-)

by TheLongTone

Where is London Picadilly Street?

by puerto_lover

Near the Circus silly.

by TheLongTone

The road rom Picadilly Circus to Hyde Park Corner is simply called Picadilly. For 'Pickardil', a word for a ruff. They used to make them there.

by mke1963

National Express East Anglia use almost every weekend day and every hoiday to do work. A lot of (us) regular commuters are exremely unhappy with it, especially as the replacement bus service is much slower than it needs to be and on very old buses.

Comments