Edward Lear Hotel

28-30 Seymour Street, London, W1H 5WD, United Kingdom

• TheCleeker's Profile Photo

Near Marble Arch and great for the price

Great breakfasts with the room.

An older place but relatively quiet.

Bathroom was down the hall but we never had any trouble either getting to use it or in using it.

Nice people on the desk; helpful and friendly.

They had a computer hooked to the internet the guests could use but this is five years ago; they may well do better nowadays.

Unique Quality: You got a key to your room.

They helped you find how to get to where you wanted to go.

Is in the inner city so you can buy one of those travel cards that let you on and off all buses and tubes for a week at a truly great price.

Rustic place with a fun history. It was a little "down-at-the-heels" but the beds were fine and there were no cleanliness issues.

ATM is only two or three blocks away.

Directions: If you can get to Marble Arch, you are within a couple of blocks of it. It is located on a side street.

• karimpls's Profile Photo

Two words--NEVER AGAIN!

Disgusting, dirty. The only room they had available had a shower, but the toilet was in the hall. The shower was a plastic thing, falling apart in the corner of the room. The carpet was filthy, there appeared to have gum stuck to it in several places. Linens were threadbare and smelly.
    And ooooohhhhhh the toilets. OMG I have NEVER been so disgusted. There was urine on the walls, unflushable toilets, filthy filthy disgusting.

I also told them when I made the reservation (2 months earlier) that I had a disability and wanted to be near ground level. I got there and I was on SIXTH floor, no elevator, and no one would help with my luggage. I was supposed to stay in London for 8 days. I made it two and went back to Paris. I doubt I will ever go back to London--it was a horrible expensive experience.

• Aisha's Profile Photo

I went in Edward Lear Hotel....

I went in Edward Lear Hotel. It is not very expensive and it is in a really good position: in Oxford Street near Marble Arch, so you have here the metro, the city centre and a lot of shops for your gifts.

Unique Quality: You can see Marble Arch when you go out, there is a Pub in front, the metro ì, a lot of bus stops and a lot of shops.

Directions: EDWARD LEAR HOTEL
    www.edwardlear.com
    edwardlear@aol.com

More about Edward Lear Hotel

Depends on your expectations

A few things first... You're not going to get much for your money in London no matter where you stay. Many hotels in London are old houses/townhouses/or buildings that have been converted into a hotel, thus not all rooms are the same size. You're in a big city, therefore there will be street noise even with "double glazed" windows.

Once you get past those things and accept them, this is not such a bad place to stay. My wife and I were happy here for the 3 days we were in London. The hotel itself is cute, and looks nice from the outside with plants and flowers arranged nicely. The buildings surrounding it however, were not as picturesque. Location was convenient, very close to Hyde Park, shopping, and the underground. We got room 28, which was more than roomy. I can see though, that this place is a hit or miss kind of hotel depending on what room you get. You could luck out like we did, or you could get stuck in a broom closet. Service was very good. Our room was serviced each day, the front desk was very helpful storing our luggage for the day after we checked out, and breakfast was very good. The toilet was a up half a flight of stairs from our room, but we didn't mind. We never saw any others use it, and never had to wait or anything. The bath/shower in our room was fine. The shower consists of a shower head hanging on a cord rather than one fixed to the wall.

So, this place was great for our needs. If you are coming to London expecting to get anything resembling an American hotel (in terms of what you get for your money), you're not going to like most hotels. This place is one of the more economical choices, and we found it to be clean, quaint, and adequate.

Charming and affordable

by TripAdvisor Member Wintergeorge

This hotel was one of the few we could find with a central location, a private bath, and less than 100 pounds in July. We were quite happy there, but it isn't for everyone.

Good points-
Very helpful and friendly desk staff. Decent size room, clean, nice long tub. We asked for a quiet location and that is what we got- a room facing a side street so we could sleep with windows open. About 3 blocks to the tube or bus stops (Marble Arch). Neighborhood feels safe- I could walk to parks and tree-lined streets, also close to shopping/ restaurants. Huge and tasty breakfast included. Free internet (15 minute limit, slow connection, so don't count on doing much more than quick emails).

Bad points-
Lumpy bed. Bath and walls show age (cracks, etc.- part of the character, nothing functional). Steep stairs.

Conclusion-
If you don't mind a hotel that shows its age a bit, this is a very good value. If you prefer modern and sleek, you won't like it.

Don't believe the bad stuff

I lived at the Ed Lear Hotel for TWO months, due to an unfortunate incident at the flat I was supposed to live in. They gave me an excellent price per night. My room was always clean and bed was always made. I never saw and bugs at all in my room, and I have never even seen a fly come into my room. Being as though the hotel is in an old home, there is no elevator, but I managed to climb to the top floor for my stay there. For the price of this hotel and the location it is at, it is the best. My first week in London I stayed at a four star hotel that was less than four star in my opinion and ridiculously overpriced. The TV is small, but why go to London if you are going to watch TV all the time. The food was okay, and they always allowed me to take ceral up to my room, as much as I wanted. The showers are fine. The toliets are fine. The hotel smelled of cigarettes on the first floor, but people do smoke over here. The internet access was fine, and being as though it was free I wasn't going to comlain about the speed. I never had a problem with hot and cold water, since it isn't too hard to figure out what was hot and what was cold. The location is amazing, and for the price (I only had to pay £33 a night) I think the value is amazing.

great staff, good value

by TripAdvisor Member marge333

I've traveled the world and can only do so because I do it on a budget and I love the Edward Lear. My criteria is clean, safe. friendly and economical. I have found this little hotel a great value for the money. My room has always been clean and adequate...not fancy, but not shabby either. Last year was the third time I stayed there and I will take my granddaugter to London in 07 and hope to stay there again. The staff is wonderfully helpful and knowledgeable with any questions about London, getting around etc. I was going to tube it to the airport when they informed me I could cab it for less money (not to mention the hassel!) The first time I stayed was 20 years ago and I must say it has not had much updating since then but the price has not wildly increased either.

Great restaurants nearby, felt very safe even as a woman alone in early evening, close to tube and shopping. The breakfast was very good each time I was there, lots of choice and well-prepared. Met interesting people who also choose this little oasis away from home over and over as I do.

I've read the bedbug comments and am sure if some tourist brought bugs to the hotel they have rectified the problem. You can't search people as they enter and it can happen to any hotel. Could the carpet use a cleaning? Yes as in most places, but the beds are VERY clean. As for carrying luggage up steps...that is nothing unusual in small hotels in Europe. These are OLD buildings, many are converted homes. If you are looking for elegance and pampering....spend another 100 pounds and go elsewhere....if you are looking for clean, adequate, friendly, safe, Edward Lear is a good value.

Quaint, Clean, and at a great price.

by TripAdvisor Member takerrn

This hotel is an OLD house, so don't expect something modern. The rooms were quaint, clean, and comfortable. If you don't know how to pack for a trip (carry huge, heavy suitcases), remember there is no elevator. But, there is free internet access in the lobby area, although it is a slow dialup. Also, the included breakfast is an excellent value. This is an inexpensive hotel in an expensive city. Our beds (wife and daughter) were very comfortable. The hotel is a short two blocks from Marble Arch tube station. There are pubs and restaurants of all varieties within blocks. We highly recommend this hotel for the value conscious. It's like staying in an old mansion. I wouldn't hesitate to book the Edward Lear again. If you're into snobbery, stay at the Hiatt down the street.

Value for Money

by TripAdvisor Member dandan007

We stayed at the Hotel in January, 2006 on our weekend shopping in London. The hotel was old but quite cute. Great for travellers with a low budget for Hotels and those who do not wish to spend long periods in their room. The rooms are quite small, witht thin walls. There is everything you need to have a shower and sleep, even though you will have to step out of the shower soaked with water in the middle of the room. The breakfast was great with variety of food. One of the only problems with this hotel was that it didn't have a lift and it was fairly frustrating to go up 4 storeys with heavy shopping bags. We will definetly return, but with our room being maximum on the 2nd floor. Afterall you get value for money, cheap hotel close to oxford street.

Great Location, but with stairs!

by TripAdvisor Member Kaye_S

My family stayed 5 nights at the Edward Lear and overall we were very happy with it. Saving some accommodation money meant we had more to spend on other things in London. The showers certainly aren't great, the rooms aren't huge, the beds weren't wonderfully comfortable, but the breakfast is plentiful and the place is clean and tidy. Our biggest problem was being located on the fourth floor without a lift! A long way for my husband to lug all our bags after a long flight! Still, it was very quiet once you got there and the central London location was so convenient. We didn't spend much time in our rooms anyway, so why pay more?

Inexpensive London Digs

by DjMax

Wondering if anyone has advise on inexpensive London hotels. We will only be there one night, so we don't need anything more than a small clean room. Anywhere in the city is ok, as long as it is near the tube. Anyone stay at thge ALHAMBRA HOTEL? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Inexpensive London Digs

by JoanneR46

I stayed at the Edward Lear Hotel, 30 Seymour Street, Marble Arch. Very convenient being a brief walk away from Marble Arch tube station. It's a bed & breakfast. I did ask for a room with a shower, toilet and sink. They have some rooms without those necessaries.

Hope this helps.