Euro Hotel Clapham

80-81 Clapham Common South Side, Clapham, Lambeth, London, SW4 GDL, United Kingdom
Agoda.com Booking.com Hotelsclick.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Rated 28% lower than similarly priced 2 star hotels

More about London

LondonLondon

Market Coffee House - LondonMarket Coffee House - London

Southwark bridge.Southwark bridge.

The fountains and cafe in the squareThe fountains and cafe in the square

Stansted Airport

by hawkhead

Need a bit of help from seasoned travellers! In the past I have always managed to avoid Stansted Airport. However, this time it seems there is no way to avoid it PLUS the flight leaves at 06.55 - for my sins!! But it's only one way.....

Anyhow, I obviously need a hotel and wanting to give myself a little pampering to assuage the pain of the early morning up and at it, I have almost decided on either the Hilton London Stansted or the Radisson Blu. I know the Radisson is connected to the terminal and therefore once I'm off the train, I can walk to the hotel. Can I do the same with the Hilton?

Failing that, the Express by Holiday Inn is within the airport periphery but does anyone know if it is walkable i.e. easily walkable and not along busy roads with no pavements, etc. Anyone stayed at the EHI at Stansted - how early does the shuttle start, as I cannot find any info on that.

Many thanks!

by leics

I like Stansted as an airport: I only avoid it because it's a bit of a trek from me.

As I use the long-stay parking I usually have a longish bus ride around the airport roads and I've never seen anyone walking into the airport. The Express by is quite a way from the terminal building and the Hilton the same (look at google maps). Am not 100% sure but cannot recall seeing pavements on the airport roads.

Info about the Express by shuttle service here:

>Transfers run between the airport and the hotel every 30 minutes from 4am throughout the day until 12.45 a.m and there is a charge of £2.00 per adult both ways (payable on the bus). <

So you should be ok if that hotel suits.

by IanMacPhail

I have stayed at the Radisson which is very close. It was fine, we had to get an early flight to Ancona. At that time in the morning you don`t want to have to travel too far. I`m not sure where or how close the other hotels are.

by hawkhead

Many thanks, Leics - how I didn't see the info on both the EHI and Hilton sites re the shuttle is beyond me|! Maybe not, seeing as I was in a right snit about having to use Stansted!! It was either Stansted or Gatwick, which I have never used either. Actually, I have used Stansted, in the days of long ago, when all was in a state of upheaval, so that is what probably put me off. Still, it's a bit of a trek also from our neck of the woods.

Thank you, also, Iain - I will probably go with the Radisson, as I can get a rate online that is the same as the EHI, if taking the shuttle bus costs into account.

by taurean_traveller

Just a postnote to those before me,you can walk from the Hilton if you are fit!
I guesstimate upto 2 miles from the terminal.
You would use the perimeter fence road and if my memory serves me correctly is only part pathway (though that may have changed since I worked there)
I think Stansted is much maligned as I like it (close to me) specially with it's mono rail.
I would prefer to go from there than LHR
Radison you could fall out of bed into the terminal!!
EHI I think is further than the Hilton,though again will stand corrected if I am wrong

by Richard.GVA

I have stayed in Bishps Stortford some years back, a short (bus, train or tasxi) ride from Stansted Airport (abt 3 miles). You will find budget accomodation in BS, here a website for your guidance:
Besides, Stansted is far more convenient and less crowded than Heathrow, which I consider to be the world's worst airport.

by stethomson

If you're taking the Stansted Express, check the live departure boards for London Liverpool Street at www.london-liverpool-street.co.uk

by hawkhead

Thanks - not taking Stansted Express, coming from another direction!

Travel Tips for London

Getting Around in London

by whiteblanket

Walking in London is simply superb, as you end up seeing and experiencing a whole lot more than when you are in one of those sight seeing open top buses.
While walking you end up in little alleys and cloves housing some beautiful historic relics which still have to discovered by the remaining thousands of tourists hitting the city.

But besides walking, when you have to get around the city, buy one of those all day passes. They cost around 7 pounds and let you travel all day (off peak hours) on any train, tube, bus and tram. Its a great way to save money and get around london. Standing on the Millenium Bridge and staring at the city.

The millenium bridge goes over the river Thames and almost all important tourist landmarks are visible from the bridge.

Standing on the bridge while other londoners and tourists are in a rush to get somewhere, gives you a minute to just absorb the city and its madness.

Not too mention the breeze and the river have that calm effect which perfectly balances the chaos around you.

It was a good time.

I spent 3 days exploring...

by megraham

I spent 3 days exploring London and feel more like what I missed than what I saw. I personally liked the National Gallery and the British Museum. I am begining to think that London would make a nice stop over on my way to and from Europe. But this might be an aquired taste since it is somewhat expensive and sometimes busy city, with my best memory wandering around with the thousands of other tourists on a cool sunday afternoon in October.

Westminster Abbey. Look for...

by bean

Westminster Abbey. Look for the graves of James Watt (steam engine), Charles Lyell (geologist). Impressive to realize the long reign of Kings and Queens. It's a HUGE city. Or maybe I'm just from Amsterdam. But even compared to Berlin or Paris, London is really big. Impressive to keep in mind that the White Tower was built at least 100 years before the settlement of Amsterdam took place.

The other side of London.

by sourbugger

There is just so much hidden history in London, much of it now in a derlict state.

I recently cam across a superb website that details much of this in graphic detail. There are over 1000 photographs on the site. I especially enjoyed Catford dog track, although you can also look at what the Olympic site currently looks like. There is a whole host of picture relating to transport, shops, cinemas, pubs and the like.

Check it out, you won't be disappointed :

www.derelictlondon.com

THE BEST BUSKERS IN THE UNDERGROUND

by DAO

Buskers? Buskers are street musicians. In many places in the UK the word Musician is horribly misplaced for really awful sounds coming from idiots. The Transport For London (TFL) Authority decided a few years ago that if you ‘can’t beat ‘em – join ‘em’. They have licensed Buskers who have passed an audition and can actually play good quality music. It’s a real improvement I assure you. The best play in Kings Cross Tube Station. Almost exclusively rock n’roll or blues. Great music every time. So take at least a small trip over here and listen to these folks. If you like it, a small amount of change would be appreciated. In fact, could you please rate this tip?

Thanks!