11-15 Argyle Square, London, WC1H 8AS, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Terrible

More about European Hotel

Lodging in Europe

by iluvtrvl

European hotel rooms are smaller in size than those in the United States. Most hotel rooms are either a single (one twin bed) or a double (2 twin beds). Fewer rooms accommodate 3 persons, and if you are looking to accommodate more than 3 persons in a room, good luck. You may be better off to find an apartment to rent if you are staying for several days, or you will need to get 2 hotel rooms - not convenient at all for families with small children.

A two-star hotel will generally have its own private bath, be clean but modest and have a full time desk staff. If you want air-conditioning - which is really a must for summertime travel in many areas, especially if you are accustomed to air conditioning to sleep, you will want a 3-star hotel.

Breakfast may or may not be included in your room rate. It is common, but is not always the case. Ask upon check-in.

Most hotels will allow you to stow your luggage as you are checking out, to make sightseeing before your departure easier. You may want to inquire as you are planning your trip, so that you can set your itinerary accordingly.

My favourite European hotel

by Maryimelda about Hotel Damianos, Mykonos

This hotel is quite remarkable. It is beautiful, pristine clean, serves a wonderful breakfast included in the tariff and is situated high onthe hill overlooking the port and the fabulous Aegean Sea. I would never want to stay anywhere else on Mykonos.

Unique Qualities: The photos should tell it all. The rooms are spacious and well appointed with tea and coffee making facilities, kitchenette, air con, TV. Each room has its own little area outside with table and chairs. Great for a quiet drink before going down to the port for dinner.There is a lovely communal lounge area where you can buy a drink and a snack well into the night. The views of course, are magnificent. In Mykonos as with most of the Greek Islands, someone from the hotel will always meet you at the ferry if you tell them when you will be arriving. If you don't have a booking, you can rest assured there will be hotel reps there to meet the ferry offering rooms. We were not only met at the port when we arrived, but were driven back to the ferry when we were leaving even though it was extremely early in the morning.

made it across the atlantic, part 2

by KarmaGirl13

"Tue, 7 Oct 2003"

In a way i feel like i am visiting new york city's father. it is especially obvious to me since i just came from there. The way the city is laid out (street names, highway names, the park, the transportation system, etc), and the people seem so similar. Very hurried, very cosmopolitan, similar fashions, lots of diversity!

This evening at dinner, I met a girl at the local deli who is from Detroit. She came here for an interview--to possibly transfer from Detroit to London. She works for Berlitz (the translation publishing people), but they are offering her way less to work in London vs Detroit. She gave me her email address so she could hook me up with some international Berlitz people if necessary.

Tomorrow i am thinking about going to this big Dali collection at a museum by the Thames River. It is right by the London Eye so I will probably check it out also. I might ride a bus tomorrow too. I heard there are 3 city busses that will give you a good tour or the city as it follows it's regular route so I don't have to mess with the whole tour bus thing.

Other random bits of info you might find interesting. My hotel is a maze, just like you would imagine an old european hotel would be (remember European Vacation?). Just like that. I'd say I've been lost in the hallways and stairways probably 5 times now. Also, the right/left thing is more difficult to get used to than i thought it would be. Not only is traffic 'reversed' (according to our standards), but also escalators, stairways (you walk up on the left side not the right), even the hot and cold water are like that! I feel obviously american running into people all the time because I can't get the hang of being on the other side! Also, they really like eggs! You can get eggs with any other food, at anytime at anyplace here--not just breakfast.

Let's see, the weather has been really similar to NY. It sprinkled a few times today, but was sunny a lot also. The high was probably around 60, just like I was expecting.

I think that pretty much covers the basics of my first day in london! Wow! It sure does seem surreal! Someone needs to pinch me! (then rub my aching feet!!)

Hope all is well at home! Have a sweet day!
A

Spitalfields Music stallSpitalfields Music stall

Inside the British MuseumInside the British Museum

Craven Cottage - Fulham Football ClubCraven Cottage - Fulham Football Club

Bags too big?Bags too big?

Regent Palace hotel

by Cogee

Aahh! Already regretting going with not well travelled friends to London! I've stayed in Bayswater before and think it perfectly ok. They absolutly want to stay as central as possible and have found Regent Palace hotel right by Piccadilly. My question is: How bad is it?? I read some reviews about it which was not very plesant ie bed bugs. True or?

RE: Regent Palace hotel

by cachaseiro

i stayed there last night and found that it's not as bad as it's reputation.
mabye we just had a nice room, but i think the place was rather ok.

by robine

I've stayed there too, and found it adequate, and - of course - wonderfully located. Certainly no bed bugs!

by film

I've never stayed there, but it doesn't look the swankiest joint in town. Lots of concessions in the lobby and a big smokey bar. But it is 100M from Picadilly Circus so you can't get much more central. No-one is going to get lost. Though I think most people would prefer somewhere a bit quieter. Picadilly Circus is busy, noisy, crowded and rather tacky.

by BluBluBlu

Its not the greatest hotel...but the rooms are ok...small but adequate. Its very central...and dirt cheap!

Blu

by Mariajoy

I've stayed there, twice. It's ok, not the best but certainly one of the cheaper options and very central. The rooms need some redecoratio/modernisation and it gets a bit noisy at night but it's not dirty and the staff are helpful. Oh and there's tea and coffee in the rooms - something you don't get in the poshest European hotel!

by Cogee

I appriciate all your answers. Well...I guess I'll let my friends decide and stay there. I can always throw them a "I told you so"...and I'll bring ear plugs

long vacation

by arsalan1366

hi,
i have a long vacation in next summer and i have a plan to go to the europe.
i can be in europe for 3 weeks and
i want to start it from istanbul and finish it in paris,
i have a goal and its paris.
i want to know that which one is the best choise? travel by train or car!!!
and the other question is: if i want to choose some cities to visit which cities are the best choice?
and the last question: suggest me some motels.
thanks.

by leics

Which cities we suggest will depend on what your interest are, so perhaps you could give us an idea. History? Shopping? Architecture? Clubbing?

Hiring a car may initially seem like a good idea but the cost of one-way car hire from Turkey will be very substantial indeed. Travelling by train is excellent in Europe, but from Istanbul you are looking at some very long journeys (do not be misled by apparent distances on maps). You might do better to investigae some budget flights from Istanbul to other European capitals.

www.whichbudget.com lists all European budget airlines.

www.skyscanner.net will give you carriers and (usually) cheapest fares for your route and dates.

will give you train times and details for almost all European trains, and fares for /from Germany. For other fares you will need to look at the official railway website for each country. To find them google the country name + 'railway'. All have English pages and most give fares. Those which do not give fares have very reasonable prices indeed.

It is not a matter of which cities are 'best' but of which cities are feasible on your 3-week journey from Istanbul to Paris.

As for motels, these are few ad far between in Europe. I think you are really asking about hotels? There are a number of reliable European hotel websites, such as www.booking.com and www.venere.com but without knowing your itinerary it is impossible to suggest specific hotels.

by leics

I disagree. It is not automatically best to travel by car. The cost of fuel and parking, not to mention the cost of such a long one-way hire, makes travel by train or long-distance bus a much more feasible choice, if only for certain countries.

Istanbul>Paris is around 2700km, with a total driving time of around 27 hours on the fastest route. Look at www.viamichelin.com for routes, drive times and information.

The holiday4you website, which is a UK-based company, deals in holidays within Turkey. This site will not help you find hotels (or motels) elsewhere nor does it list those in Turkey itself: it's a package holiday company.

by sihi

Hi!

Choose a car and cities I recomend to visit - old magic Krakow (Nearby Wieliczka fantastic salt mines - underground town!!) and Hanseatic pearl on Baltic Sea - old city Gdansk (Nearby huge Teutonic castle in Malbork) or Wroclaw - city with more then 100 bridges.

Hotel Advise in Central London

by vidiandra

Hi All,

I will stay 2 nights in London in this October. I already search for the hotel / accomodation but it really difficult to choose since it's my first time.

I'm looking for the hotel in central London (zone 1) so it will be easy for me to see tourist attractions by walk.

Could someone advise me the area which is in Central London but not to expensive ? I'm looking for about GBP 50 per nights per room.

I found this hotel :
11-15 Argyle Square
London WC1H 8AR

Could someone give me comment about this hotel ? Is it good and clean ? Or maybe anyone have a better hotel to stay ?

Any help appreciated.

by Igraine

Have you looked in Bayswater aerea? There are a lot of reasonable prised hotels and with Paddington station easy for transportation to wherever you want to go in London.

by Fen

Hi Vidiandra,

Try these websites http://www.alllondonhotels.net/

You might find a hotel on one of these sites. I hope they maybe of some use to you.

best of luck

Fen

by sourbugger

I don't know this hotel - but you have to be careful around areas such as king's cross and bayswater at many of them are filled with people who are put there due to benifit / immigration problems or are used by ladies who dont need the room for very long, if you get my drift.

I find the best bet is to use the Laterooms website or lastminute website.

Alternativel check out chains where you be sure of a reasonable standard like holiday inn express.

More tips about chains etc are to be found in my london tips

have a good trip

by vivalasteph

Try the Thistle Hotels chain. They're having an autumn special and the rates are great. I booked a single room, with breakfast and taxes inc. for 40GBP at the Thistle Tower. The Thistle Bloomsbury Park is also a good location.

by spongeG

check out www.hotels.com

look like some good prices for london

i liked the Earl's Court area - good tube access and loads of places to walk to

by vidiandra

Thanks all for the answer !

I' ll check the website.
Is Bayswater area will be safe for 1 female to travel alone ?

And for Vivalasteph, where is this Thistle hotel area ? And what is the link to book this hotel to get that special autumn rate ? hope you can give me the link or email address.

by spongeG

thistle hotels are a chain there are a few of them throughtout london

i actually stayed in 2 when i was going over with a group from jr high - don't ask how we got put up ion such swanky places

i think the site is www.thistlehotels.co.uk

the one on Bloomsbury is nice - great location close to SOHO, the british museum, oxfiord street etc.

Travel Tips for London

South Bank entertainment

by nhcram

One of my favourite places in London is the South Bank between London Bridge and Waterloo Bridge. They quite often have street entertainment and I am fascinated by those people that stand still not moving a muscle. I love to watch the kids' reaction when they put money in the hat and the statue comes to life to say thanks!!

Be prepared.

by mosheeps

British weather can change very quickly.
Bring enough clothes for warm, cold, and wet weather! Electric voltage is 240v AC, 50 HZ
You may need an adapter or converter for anything electrical you bring with you. Also be careful if you buy electrical items in the UK to take back home, they may not work in your country. Ask before you buy!!!!
* If you need a visa to visit Britain, then you must apply a long time before your visit. Visa problems have spoiled many holidays!
* Obtain as much information as possible before you arrive: maps, guides, and travel information.

Comments