152-156 North Gower Street, London, NW1 2ND, United Kingdom

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 59% more and rated 25% lower than other 3 star hotels

• Paul2001's Profile Photo

A Good Affordable Hotel by London Standards

I picked this hotel primarily because of its outstanding location in the Bloomsbury district of London. It was not really expensive by London's standards but it the cheapness comes at a price. The rooms here are tiny. This was possibly the smallest room I have ever stayed. I could barely stand in the washroom well doing my toiletries. It is hard to believe I spent 6 nights here but then again I hardly spent any waking hours in the hotel room. One does not come to one of the most exciting cities in the world to spend much time at the hotel. If you are going to enjoy a city like London, then why spend so much time in the hotel.

Unique Quality: The Euston Square had a tube station at its door step. The staff was reasonably friendly. There was a pub of sorts on site. I watched the 2010 World Cup match between the USA and England here. (when in England and you are cheering for the opposing countries team, do so quietly).

Directions: North of the University of London. Right over top of Euston tube station. Just of couple of hundred meters east of Euston train station

• DREADFUL STAY - DO NOT BOOK HERE!

What a dreadful hotel - please do NOT stay here. The rooms could not be locked due to a problem with the locking system. The rooms were cramped with no room to even move round the bed. I had no tea and coffee making facilities of towels on arrival! The bed linen was dirty and had a huge cigarette burn in it. The carpet was disgusting - very unclean. he reception staff were extremely unhelpful. DO NOT stay at this appalling hotel.

Unique Quality: none - a terrible cramped hotel with poor service

• SueWarwick's Profile Photo

Decent Hotel - Handy Location

I stayed just the one night at the Euston Square Hotel.
    The 'single executive' room was £84 including breakfast, not too bad considering it is in London and I booked only a few days before hand.
    I booked the hotel via www.booking.com, I noticed the rooms may cost more if booked directly off the hotel website.
    Payment for your room is taken at check in.
    Check in and out was quick with no hassle.

The hotel is in an old looking building. Some of the staircases look as if they could do with a lick of paint and the entrance area is a little shabby looking but the rooms themselves are comfortable, modern looking and very clean.
    The rooms have a safe, tea/coffee making facilities, fan, heating and tv with internet access (at an additional cost)
    Strangely there was no hotel information given in the room, all I was given was the breakfast times. More worryingly, there were no fire escape notices in the room. I'm surprised this isn't a legal requirement!

Breakfast is served in the FAB bar area (dodgy name for a bar but still....). The food was nice if a bit limited in choice; cereal, ham, cheese, fruit salad, coffee and juice.

Unique Quality: The best feature of this hotel is its location. It is above Euston Square underground station, about 2 minutes walk from Euston main line station and on a main road....this also has its downside as it can get quite noisy, be prepared to hear station announcements etc late on at night and early in the morning!

To sum up, it is an ideal hotel for one or two nights and a reasonable cost at a good location. Its never going to win any awards but it does the job.

Directions: Couple of minutes walk from Euston main line station on the corner of North Gower street and Euston Road

• Cheap for London but not great

This place is down the end of Tottenham Court Road. The staff are lovely but the rooms are very small and frankly not as described on the net. It has 3 stars though deserves far less. Only reason to stay is price (ý70) per night and friendliness of staff.

Don't bother with breakfast - go out and about you are in london!

Unique Quality: Small Rooms

In middle of refurb as of April 2004

More about Euston Square Hotel

All day Breakfast in Euston

by tvor about Giovanni's Sandwich Bar

It's in the Euston Square Hotel on Euston Road and serves an all day breakfast. It's just a little caff with a couple of tables inside and outside but the breakfast i had on arrival day was huge and filling and boy did that cup of tea hit the spot! I even had a bit of a chat with Giovanni himself :) Average prices for the kind of caff it is. Good value for money i thought. They do sandwiches and takeout food as well.

*Note* There is still a "Snack Stop" in this building but I'm not sure if it's under the same management.

Supportive staff

28.05.06

I had the good fortune of being a house guest at the Euston Square Hotel, London, for the period May 22 to May 25 [three nights], and would like to place on record the wonderful help provided to me by the staff at the reception.

As I had a series of meetings around the Euston Square area [within 2 square kms], which I could conveniently walk, as well as meetings in Hammersmith [for which I had to utilise the Tube], I checked for facilities/directions to get my to my required destinations. I am most happy to say that the staff took the time and effort of providing me a map of the area that I had to visit [Theobald's Road], as well as a map of the London Underground, highlighting the final destination, as well as providing clear-cut instructions on how to reach the respective destinations. I travelled to my appointments without a hitch and, more importantly, on time.

The additional help that was provided was confirming a taxi pick-up to Heathrow at 4.00am on 25.05.06 at the time of my check-in [which arrived five minutes prior to the scheduled time], as well providing me an umbrella due to London's inclement weather [which saved me from rain and the possibility of ill-health, which I could not afford in 2 and a half days of hectic meetings].

Euston Square Hotel deserves to be recognised for the wonderful personnel working in their midst.

your worst nightmare

We were booked to stay at this hotel two years ago but as soon as we came to the front of the hotel we new we had made a mistake.It didn,t get any better when we got inside as it was totally not what was shown on their website.The reception was basic and scruffy and we were made to pay for our room upfront before we had even set foot in it.Alarm bells were well and truly ringing when we made our way to our room as the hallway was so narrow we could almost touch both walls as we were walking to the room,claustrophobics beware.
When we looked inside the room we were shocked at the size of it,four of us inside felt like sardines in a tin.The drawers were open and wouldn,t shut ,the beds were manky and the view of a brick wall put the tin hat on it.The only clean things in there were us.
After clobbering my hubby for his stupidity at booking such a hell hole,we grabbed our bags and headed back to reception for a refund.Luckily for us we managed to get our money back.The chap at the desk said it happened a lot( you don,t say,well what a shock! ) but then asked us if we had used the loo as if we had then he would have to call the cleaners in,i won,t print what i said to him but he got the message.
We ended up around the corner at the Ibis ,it was an improvement but if i were you i,d pay a little bit extra and get a better hotel like the plaza on hyde park,but watch out as one day after breakfast we returned to find a bunch of chinese surveying our room but that,s another review i must get around to writing.

good value for money

by TripAdvisor Member katerobEssex

Ok so it may not be the hilton but other than the rooms being a bit on the small side and hotel in need on a lick of paint and brakfast being a bit mundane, its really not that bad, and its location is ideal you are near everything overall i think its good value for money.

Good value for money!!!

After reading a couple of reviews of this hotel , and looking at the website , I phoned up the hotel and decided to try. The rooms are clean but small and look recently decorated. Nice Tv , internet access and a good buffet breakfast. The staff are young and friendly in a whole. It was not a bad experience as the reviews made me expect,but a decent value for my money.

Avoid for a year or two until they've refitted

by TripAdvisor Member Ismene

I'm afraid my experience of this hotel was not a happy one. I booked online an 'Executive Single' which cost almost £100 a night. I was planning to use the facilities and internet access to do some work ahead of a meeting the next day. However.
I arrived during the early-evening rush to be told by overworked reception staff that an Executive Single was not available and I would have to have a Standard Triple instead. Ever broad-minded, I agreed -- only to wend my way up grim, decaying flights of stairs and narrow, dingy corridors to the most dismal hotel room I have ever encountered. The second-floor corridor whiffed slightly of blocked drains. Worse still, it was a corner room at a busy road junction. So I went down to Reception and asked for another room of Executive standard, only to be told that they were fully booked and that one was not available. Fine, I said, then I'll have a partial refund in return for accepting the inferior room. No, they said, that is not possible either because the internet booking company has already deducted from your credit card. Fine, I said, then given that the over-booking problem is yours not mine, check me in at another hotel instead. But that wasn't possible either unless I paid twice!
Well, I dug my heels in -- with all my British instincts for not making a fuss going into deep private trauma -- and eventually a phonecall to the manager revealed that an Executive Double was available after all. This room was, in some ways, very nice. It was stylish, recently upgraded and very clean. But it was also deeply impractical. For instance, there was no hairdryer and the plug for the kettle involved scrabbling under the dressing table. Almost the whole room was taken up with a huge king-sized bed (what DO they think 'executives' get up to on business trips to London?) with just a narrow strip of floor-space all the way round. The narrow desk doubled as a dressing-table and was dominated by a mirror. (You try studying documents in front of a large mirror!) There was no chair, just an uncomfortable multi-purpose stool. Worse, the room was separated from the one ajoining by a locked door so I could hear their bathroom noises. There were no curtains, just chic Venetian blinds which were no protection at all from the lights of the office blook opposite or the grey London dawn.
And no double-glazing for noise insulation! The hideous cacaphony from the road junction and vehicles accelerating out of a nearby underpass continued well into the small hours of the night.
And it didn't stop there. Having finally dropped off to sleep I was woken at four in the morning by -- guess what -- the fancy flat-screen television blaring on in an early-morning wake-up call. My little present for making a scene in the lobby the previous evening? But never mind, if that hadn't woken me, the police car racing past with siren howling a few minutes later certainly would.
In the morning I tried to get internet access via the television, and failed. I called for help and a handsome-looking Slavic boy appeared, rattled the plugs ineffectually and shrugged that nothing could be done about it. My colleague, to whom I'd given the hotel switchboard number so she could ring in to my room, reported in a message to my mobile that despite repeated tries this number seemed inoperable. In other words this so-called 'Executive' room was completely useless for working in! I do think hoteliers should be dissuaded by the tourist authorities from referring to any hotel room that's recently been upgraded with a lick of paint as an 'Executive' standard room. The term should imply specific working facilities.
The hotel wasn't a complete write-off -- both rooms, even the grotty one, had new bathrooms and were very clean. The Executive room was quite stylish in a batchelor fantasy sort of way and the bed, fitted out with fresh white linen, was wonderful. I also had a well-cooked and moderately priced meal in the bar downstairs.
The hotel is clearly in a process of being upgraded from something barely above doss-house standard to attempted boutique chic and I can well understand that it might take a few years' reinvestment of profits to complete the process. But I am utterly at a loss to understand why the owners haven't made sound insulation their first priority; that busy road junction and the underpass entrance aren't going to go away. Until they do, avoid!

Avoid

We stayed for one night when we needed to be near Euston staton for an early start and we expected a budget experience which is what you get, but not as good as say express by holiday inn or premier travel lodge. The newly refurbished room was OK but clearly done economically with not quite enough space for anything and had a small very soft double bed.
The staff spoke adequate English and were courteous but followed bizarre administrative rules - for instance:
To book on the net we had given our CC details
On arrival we had to fill these out by hand on a signed authorisation form, as well as separately run and sign a new CC authorisation again in addition to the already run copy which they had attached to the booking.
This made me feel rather like a criminal!

Stupidly we left an item in the room when we left - our fault. To get it back, we had to go through the same CC procedure again including making photocopies of the card and sending them to the hotel, even though they already had the wealth of paperwork described above. - Certainly no suggestion of sending it for free -

Overall, the experience left a bad taste.

london:which hotel is better location?

by UScutie

I found the deal from these hotel and try compare location and room:
1/Grosvenor Kensington:no address
Detail:This elegant Victorian hotel located in west London is perfect for visiting the renowned Natural History, Science and Victoria & Albert museums. The West End is literally minutes away (5 by underground and 15 by walking
2/ Euston Square Hotel
152 North Gower Street, London, United Kingdom NW1 2ND
3/ and Hyde park Padington(pading ton sation and bays water area)
I want the hotel close to Park lane road or Marble arch or may fair area,so can shop easy .
Any sugestion? I do care how the room look like also,I don't want pay and get bad room.It will ruin my vacation .
If you have experience about one of this hotel ,please give me a comment.Thanks.

Re: london:which hotel is better location?

by flyingkiwi

Hi,

I've not heard of the 'Grosvenor Kensington before' but there is a 'Grosvenor House Hotel' on Park lane. Could it be this one? The description sounds as if it might be.

If it is that one I can recommend it. Location is great and the Hotel is very nice (if a little old fashioned!).

Mark

Re: london:which hotel is better location?

by paulinuk2u

have a look at superbreaks.com

Comments