Express By Holiday Inn London Stratford

More about London

peaceful  gardenpeaceful garden

Eltham PalaceEltham Palace

Exterior (1)Exterior (1)

Park (Lincoln's Inn Fields) in front of the museumPark (Lincoln's Inn Fields) in front of the museum

Non expensive going out in London?Non expensive Alcohol?

by AnatolyZ

Hello my travel friends!
Are there clubs/discos/dancing bars in london which are not too fancy,and not expensive(till 5-6 Euro entrance fee or less)....where they mostly concentrated all,in which areas(Tubes) of London?..We will be 2-3 friends and realizing we don't have too much money to spend on that...is it possible to buy any Alcohol (not beer) in Supermarkets for reasonable prices?or anywhere?Happy hours bars?Just to drink for the mood,but not beer...just a matter of lack of money..:-)...thanks...:-))!!!!!
Huge Thanks!
Anatoly

by cubsur

You can buy alcohol(not beer)in supermarkets but it can be very expensive. The government puts a high tax on alcohol to try to stop excessive drinking among the young.

Example - 1 litre vodka, big supermarket own label £13.29 = €15,30

A known brand like Absolut may be £23 (€25) for 1 litre.

by Durfun

Hi, Despite the duties on alcohol being higher than other countries, there is still a problem with binge drinking in London as alcoholic drinks ARE quite cheap in supermarkets!!

Especially beers & lagers. You can often find 4-packs going for 4-5 GBP! Eg Peroni, Corona Extra, Brahma, etc. In fact most cans (upto 600ml) can be bought at supermarkets for no more than 1.50 GBP! That is a lot cheaper than buying in bars/clubs, where prices start from 3 GBP upwards!

by Durfun

As for cheap/low cover charges for night-clubs, many around Covent Garden and Holborn have FREE entry if you get in before 2100 hours! Obviously the drinks would be pricey inside though!!

Guanabara is a good club on Parker Street, Covent Garden, with a great atmosphere, good music, etc, and FREE entry before 2100. Beware the queues are LONG so get there earlier!

Travel Tips for London

Eating with the locals all over the world.

by tropical459

If you are looking for a new experience you could try the site eatwithalocal.com as this site connects travellers with local people willing to cook for them in their homes for 'free' It is free to join and free to use and a great way of meeting people on your trip.
Best wishes, Vicki A taxi driver telling me about the best fish and chip shop in Waterloo. When I sat down I had the best fish and chips I have ever tasted and whilst I was there I saw numerous police men and taxi drivers queuing up to be served whilst on duty. Trouble is I can't remember the name of it! I know it is near the 'Old Vic' behind the Old Vic and before the 'Travel lodge' and it is on a corner. Master Fish and Chip shop I think but I can't be sure.

national gallery-british...

by stellamaris

national gallery-british museum-the houses of parliament-hyde park-oxford street-picadilly circus-regent street-leicester square-camden town-covent garden- I miss walking along Oxford street,shopping,going to Camden town(very typical and different from any other part in London)and...of course visiting tne PUBS!!!!!

National Portrait Gallery

by deecat

Jill and I really enjoyed our visit to the National Portrait Gallery in London.
It's Britain's history through portraits, photographs, and sculptures. But the literature indicates that there is really no restrictiions on the medium used. I saw oil paintings, watercolors, drawings, sculptures, caricatures, photographs, minatures, and even silhouettes.

The Gallery was founded in 1856, and there are well over 10,000 pieces of art works that portray history rom the Middle Ages up to the Present Times.

Both Jill and I are lovers of all kinds of art, so it was the perfect museum for us. we especially enjoyed the 20th century section. It includes many photographs and paintings of rock stars, movie stars, writers, designers, politicians, artists, and, of course, the royal family. We certainly found the layout of the Gallery easy to follow and presented with "class".

It is not overcrowded; thus, you actually see one portrait at a time without your eyes straying.
We were able to take our time without being rushed.

Located at:

Sunday Noon-6 pm

Note: This is not my photograph. Taken from Gallery Pamphlet

Lloyds of London

by yooperprof

Richard Rogers - born in 1933 - unleashed this post-modern office block upon the London scene in 1986. It's one of the most daring - if bizarre - structures in Europe. Rogers was also responsible the Pompidou Center in Paris - a museum for modern art that was dedicated in the middle of the 1970s. Both buildings incongruously place their basic "skeletal" infrastructure on the outside, enabling them to create dramatic spaces within. More than any other single architect of our time, Rogers literally encouraged people to think "outside the box" when it came to designing urban buildings.

I think the Lloyds Building looks like a motorcycle engine. When you are strolling through the City of London, it's very startling to come across Lloyd's, particularly within the context of the traditional 19th buildings that surround it.

In recent years, some very important architects have made London a place to find "edgy" design. I can't wait to see the famous new "Erotic Pickle" office tower!

Movie premieres

by Dabs

I happened to be in town for 2 movie premieres at the theaters in Leicester Square, "Catwoman" which I just saw them setting up for and "I Robot" which was going on as I was trying to plow my way through the crowd to the TKTS booth. Will Smith was doing the meet and greet and although I was a mere 5 feet away from him, the best picture I could get was on the big jumbotron as they had erected a big wall presumably as a back drop for pictures.

The guy at the TKTS booth said they had premieres there all the time.

And sure enough, in August 2005, we happened upon yet another movie premiere, we saw Scarlett Johansen waving to the crowd before she hopped in her limo :-)

Comments