Fitzroy

Expedia.com Agoda.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Terrible

Costs 103% more and rated 30% lower than other 1 star hotels

• londons worst hotel

on arrival seemed ok kept our bags in dining area when came back at tea time to freshen up got key to room but wish we had seen room before we paid awful no hot water no ariel for tv so spoke to the owner who said i will put boiler on and sort out an ariel this should not of happened as discription of room said tv ... the room was not at a good standard at all the curtains where just pinned up could not poen them the decor was terrible . and in the morning went down for full english bkfast i had only just sat down with the kids and had to cooked bkfast put in front off me i said no i have not ordred them must be for someone else which they where and then ordered 4 bkfast for the family to another lady got toast helped our selve to coffee and orange juice and sat waiting for 40 min until i went to the kitchen and asked where our btkfast was ??? was not even cooking it i explained to the owner that we had ordered with this lady and had a go at her saying you do this all the time offered to cook us a bkfast but we refused as wanted to get out and waited already 40 min so i would not recommend to stay in this hotel pay a little more extra and get what you want its a 3 star hotel i would say its a 1 star hotel .

Unique Quality: poor threw out.....

More about London

Cenotaph, Whitehall, London, UK.Cenotaph, Whitehall, London, UK.

Euson Train Station - Ticket officeEuson Train Station - Ticket office

Big Ben - one of London's most famous landmarks.Big Ben - one of London's most famous landmarks.

Christmas lightingsChristmas lightings

Harry Potter Locations Bus Tour

by clusgluk

Has anyone done the Harry Potter Locations Bus Tour? It looks really cool, but a bit expensive, or is it a cheezy tourist trap? I have 2 boys 13 and 11 and I think they'd love it, but is it worth price?
Thanks,
Cindy

by leics

Which one? The London one? E.g.

Not a cheesy tourist trap, of course...just a tour round the film's locations in London.

The ones which cover Oxford and Laycock might be more interesting. E.g.

But expensive, yes.....so, if it's just London, why not do it yourself using the Tube etc? Your boys might enjoy plotting and planning the route. Info (& Tube stations) here:

and film-specific location info here:

by Odinnthor

The question is, is it worth it for YOU. Probably not. However, rest assured that you will not live it down anytime soon, when it comes to your boys. So the question becomes, - is the grief you will get from the boys worth the price of admission? I think not. Be a hero to the boys, pay the price......d:o)

by christine.j

London Walks offer a Harry Potter walk, which is much cheaper than the tours. This might be an alternative.
I loved it, but you need to know that this walk does NOT take you to the locations Harry Potter was filmed ( with the exception of one), but rather explains the story behind the books and the meaning of the names. This sounds boring, but it isn't. The tour guide is a magician himself and does a lot of tricks on the walk, also he includes the children in it.

They also offer a Harry Potter tour, I've taken the walk.

by leics

That sounds good. A combination of the walk and finding your own way to some of the London locations would be an excellent compromise, imo.

Travel Tips for London

Pseudo teenage rebellion at Covent Garden

by Carmanah

Surprisingly I don't have any photos of Covent Garden, despite how vivid my memories are. For me, Covent Garden represents the evening me and my friends were able to explore London on our own without any teacher supervision. I think this was my favourite memory in all of London, because it was our last night there and we wanted to make it memorable. I remember strolling down the side streets on my way to Covent Garden and purchasing a beautiful shirt from Oasis. I went into Oasis originally because I thought it was funny there was a store named after the very-famous band... of course, not realizing it was a trendy boutique that was probably around long before the Gallaghers made headlines.

We then found the outdoor flea market and our eyes lit up. Immediately I went to the tacky t-shirt vendor where I bought a Sex Pistols t-shirt because I was quite thrilled to be in London... and what a fantastic place to buy a Sex Pistols t-shirt!

I then found myself at a Jamaican incense vendor where I, for reasons unknown to me now, bought sticks of incense titled "Peach", "Mango/Coconut", and "Marijuana". I was quite silly at the time, thinking I was very daring to buy incense that smelled like marijuana. Concerned that it might get confiscated at the airport, I asked the vendor if it really had marijuana in it. He said, "No... but it helps to enhance!" and he started to laugh. Considering that I looked like I was 12 years old at the time, and was possibly the most innocent 15 year old (and didn't smoke or do drugs) I was purely being mischevious by buying the marijuana-enchancing incense. It made for a good story, hence, I bought it!

Then, on the other side of the flea market I found a CD vendor who was selling bootlegs. Having just seen White Zombie live in concert a week before flying to London, I sought out a live White Zombie CD. Of course, in retrospect, what a stupid idea... White Zombie recorded live is possibly the worst idea ever, for everyone knows that White Zombie's all about stage presence - anything muttered into the microphone during a concert is absolute garbage.

But I was happy with my White Zombie CD, my Sex Pistols t-shirt, and my collection of smelly incense that would travel with me for the remainder of my trip.

Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain

by ursa9

This Memorial to Diana was opened by the Queen on 6 July 2004.

The fountain consists of 545 pieces of Cornish granite - each shaped by the cutting-edge machinery. The Memorial reflects Diana's life with different water patterns - it bubbles, swirles and calms down eventually. It also symbolises Diana's personality traits.

There are also three bridges where you can cross the water.

London Tip

by Gard

One of the most impressive things in London is the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace. I thought that it was just a simple change of guards and I never really understood why there is so much fuzz about it. But I understand it now. First of all there was a “parade” of guards and a band that walked up to the palace. The bands played several times during the changing and then there was a parade of guards and band leaving the palace. We got to hear Bohemian Rhapsody (original by Queen) and they played it so well and we got to hear a couple of songs played with bagpipes and I just love that. But if you want to see it all you better get there early. We came there like 10 minutes in advance and the place was just packed with tourists.

Tate of the Art

by rickyvilla81

Formerly known as Bankside Power Station (which incidentally was designed by the same man who gave us the red telephone box), Tate Modern is London's second most popular attraction after the British Museum. Free to enter, it is packed to the gills with the cream of the UKs modern art collection, from Picasso and Van Gogh, through Warhol and Caulfield, to Whitereed and Hurst. It is too big to see in one go - you will be exhausted, but there are fabulous views over the Thames to St.Pauls, although photography is not permitted.

The Norwegian Christmas Tree

by gordonilla

Each year a Christmas tree is given to the people of London by the City of Oslo in recognition of the assistance given during the years 1940 - 1945. The first tree was given in 1947.

It was always an important event, particularly on children's television. However this is in fact the first year that I have actually seen it in reality in Trafalgar Square.

Comments