Fraser Residence Blackfriars

Satisfaction Average

Good For No Data

More about London

Harrod's InsideHarrod's Inside

Even more competitionEven more competition

The London Coliseum - Apr 2009The London Coliseum - Apr 2009

fireworks over London Eyefireworks over London Eye

Casual lunch in South Kensington

by dldkag

I typically stay in the West End while in London, but will be staying in South Kensington this upcoming weekend. I don't know the area well, and was wondering if anyone could suggest a casual restaurant for a good hot lunch. (Looking for a sit down restaurant - not a Pret a Manger type of place.) Thanks.

by crazyman2

Why don't you eat in one of the South Kensington museums ---I'm sure that the science museum and/or the the Natural History Museum would have a suitable cafe or restaurant.

by MacedonianUK

if you take the road directely afront of the station and walk towars Glouster RD station (Metro) there are many restauransts to choose.you will leave french Ambassy on your right.
Bela Pasta-Italian,
Marakesh-Maroccan /North African
Go sushi-Japanese
Nando's-Mexican
chek:
Have fun in London.
MacedonianUK

by henry14

The Orangery at Kensington Palace is a lovely place for lunch, not a huge menu but nice. You do not have to purchase a Kensington Palace ticket to access the gardens or Orangery.

by Dabs

We ate at the Kensington Creperie before hitting the museums, everyone loved it

You might also have a look here to see some of the other restaurants in the area

Or here

I've eaten at several Nando's, they are a chain of Portugese chicken restaurants. They are sit down and very budget friendly, I think the closest one might be nearer to the Gloucester Road tube station on Gloucester Road

by dldkag

Thanks, as always, for the numerous good suggestions. I'm now convinced that I've no risk of starving. Thanks again.

by MacedonianUK

Opsite Gloucester Rd Tube station is Mongolian barbeque restaurant, if you are up to adventures lunch.

by crazyman2

My museum answer is so lame!
Wow! There are some great ideas from the others! Go with them!

Dabs! I love the crepery idea!

by Bowsprit

Orsini's Ristorante and Caffee is right across the street from the V&A and has decent, affordable Italian.

by Bowsprit

Oops! Forgot about Caffe Forum on Gloucester Road right next to the tube station. They serve a real breakfast and a fry up if that's what you're after, but the best thing is the apple streudel. It is really a standout. (my husband just reminded me!) I love South Ken. I think it's my favorite neighborhood to stay in in London.

by rkall

Bluebird is one of the favorite London destinations for anybody who relishes good food and drink in a setting that is right at the heart of fashionable Chelse.

The food is very delicious here. It is a lovely place for hot lunch.

Travel Tips for London

Romantic place to enjoy

by CdnJane

I'm not sure where to place this comment, and I've never been able to be there with the right person, at the right time.
Ok... got you wondering, I guess...
Years ago I was in London with a female friend and we went to St. Katherine Docks to a "Taste of London" night - one of those touristy medieval dinners. We were wandering around before we went to look for a cab or the tube to return to our hotel. We went down on some of the docks, and looked out onto the Thames... and then gasped!
We gazed out onto the Tower Bridge all lit up... it looked golden and wonderful... the most romantic thing we both agreed we had seen.... and there we were, with no partners to share it with. *sigh* As much as we said we enjoyed the other's company, there was just something missing.
A few years later I took my ex-husband there. He wasn't impressed or moved by it... hmmmm maybe that is one of the reasons he is now my ex???? One day I will find a special man to share that sight with, who will see the magic too.
I wish I had a picture of the Tower Bridge from that angle, but couldn't ever capture it just right - either too dark or the flash destroyed the magic. You'll just have to believe me that it looks like a fairy castle.

you will stay at Bed and...

by zys1

you will stay at Bed and Breakfast, it is about £20 per night, you can find it near all big rail station. Walk at the bank of Rive Thames in the afternoon to watch the whole city, enter the house of Common to seat in the the meeting of Parliament.

Westminster Abbey

by iandsmith

It is not unreasonable to suggest that this is the world's most famous abbey.
Trivia - When you're walking up the marble steps, just remember an Aussie (of Italian descent) made those. Read "Rusconi's masterpiece" in my Australia pages for confirmation. If it's medieval architecture you want, you won't be disappointed. If it's history you want, tombs and monuments proliferate within these walls.
In fact, the place is half church, half museum and the lines are inevitably blurred between the two.
Coronations of all royalty have taken place here since 1066. There are tombs of kings and queens and other famous figures of history. There are memorials to literary greats, household words throughout the English speaking world.
Yes, it may well be crowded, but you must see it.
This is a picture of the classic stonemason's work above the main entrance at the West Front Towers. The devil is in the detail. Then again, it could be the disciples!

Tips & Custom's for visitors to london

by jo104

I plan to keep adding to this page as and when I come across things a visitor ought to know - if you care to add your top tips please let me know & I will be happy to include them.

1) Tube Ettiquette - Don't talk loudly on the tube, people tend to keep their heads down or nose in a book or free paper. Give up your seat to pregnant women, elderly, those less fortunate or young children, these seating areas are usually designated but often a common courtesy long forgotten by most londoners. Please let the passengers off the train first. Rush hour can be a particularly hectic time of the day to travel so if you wish to avoid grumpy people & packed tubes travel after 9.30am.

2) Dining out - we are a nation who generally eat most meals with a knife & fork. Put your knife & fork together on your plate to signify you have finished your meal. Take butter from the butter dish with a separate knife to avoid getting crumbs in the dish. It is considered inpolite to push food onto your food with your fingers.

3) Tipping - A 10% or 12.5% tip is acceptable for service however some restuarants will include service charge on the bill which means an extra tip is not required unless you wish too also that service charge is at your discretion & you will not be challenged aggressively if you have a valid reason for not paying the service charge. In England our waiting staff are paid a wage although it could be the minimun so do reward for good service. You are only required to tip for table service & not normally in cafe's or pubs where you order at the counter.

4) Listen to how they announce the name of tube station stops on the tube. Londoner's tend to laugh at tourists when they want to know how to get the Lie-chester or Lie-sesster square this is in fact pronounced Lester (Leicester Square)

One of the first things you...

by mgard27

One of the first things you need to know if it happens to be raining and you run out from the train station looking for a cab is...that everyone waits in line for a taxi. In the US, it's every man, woman and child for themselves! Not so in jolly old England. The line is very orderly and quite impressive. I had no idea, so I just stood behind some people crowded by the curb. By the time I figured out they were waiting in line, I had to go to the end and I was soaked.

Cars travel on the left side of the road, and so do people on the streets and at the train stations. It won't cause any major problems if you choose to stay to the right on the sidewalk, but keep it in mind if you wonder why you always seem to be fighting traffic. Remember this if you want to catch a bus, too.

Comments