35 - 39 St. George's Dr, London, SW1V 4DG, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Agoda.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Marthamaire's Profile Photo

Shockingly small room

I booked this hotel through Orbitz. I stayed from July 19 through July 24. I have stayed in London on many occasions before when I had much less money so I am used to being in two star bed and breakfasts. I was absolutely appalled at the size of the single room. (I had booked one with a private bathroom.) I have had much bigger single rooms in the bad area of Kings Cross. When I walked in, I saw that there was literally no room for me to have the chair there and also keep my suitcase on the floor. I had to move the chair so that it almost blocked the door. I am five feet tall and 95 pounds and I cannot imagine what it would be like in that tiny hole for a bigger person. I was so upset that I went down to the front desk and asked to upgrade. I made it clear I would pay whatever difference in cost there was. I was told there was no other room available. There was a total of three hangers in the closet which is absurd. There is no ice machine and I and several other visitors were turned away when asking for ice. I had been told that a "full English breakfast" was included. When I checked in, I was advised that it was "continental" and that if I wanted the full breakfast, it would be another three and a half pounds per day. At five days that would have been 17 and a half pounds more. Considering that there were resturants near by offering a full English breakfast for 2.99 pounds, I declined to pay more. The cleaning staff left much to be desired, failing to replace toilet paper without a note and failing to replace the tea bags and sugar I used. When I ckeched in, I found dirty towels in the closet. One day they did not clean my room by 2pm when I returned from a museum and I had to contact the front desk. The continental breakfast was ok for me but that is because I don't eat alot. They will give you all the toast you can eat but it is cheap white bread and cheap "brown" bread, that is, white bread colored brown. You also have one egg either fried or boiled, ceral and canned fruit. The breakfast staff is very nice, especially Rachel.
    The location is good. You can walk from Victoria Underground. But walk on the other side of the street from the one used by the masses. It will cut down your walk time by half. You can walk to Buckingham Palace which gives you some idea of the location. Daniel and Monica, who staff the front desk, were very very helpful. A man named Tom was so rude and nasty that one day I asked for his name, saying I was a member of Virtual Tourist and planned to write a review. From that time on, he was nice but his initial rude and condescending attitude when I asked simple questions left a deep impression on me. I stayed in a room overlooking the front street and there was no noise problem. You can use the internet for two pounds an hour. Within three blocks, there is a place that only charges one pound for an hour if you want to save cash. There are two grocery stores within five or six blocks and a fine Indian Resturant called Paradise. I would definitely not recommend this hotel to a single traveler unless they are very short on money. I checked out several hotels nearby and they had much bigger rooms for the same or even lower price.

Unique Quality: None.

Directions: Victoria Underground. Take Buckingham Palace exit. Turn left; walk down to Victoria Couch Station, turn left. Walk down about three blocks. It is right next door to the Consulate for Albania!!!

• A2002's Profile Photo

Georgian House B&B.

I have not stayed here before, but this is one of the cheapest B&B I found on the web. The website looks good for that price. They have two wings. Newer one cost more.

Unique Quality: Relatively cheap B&B. Value for money if you are in a group and get a family room. There are better places to stay in during winter where many places in London has "winter sale".
    Certainly better than the hostels.

Directions: Near Victoria. Nearest Tube station is Victoria. About 10 minutes walk from the underground.

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Georgian House Hotel

I paid £48 for a single with ensuite. Cheaper rooms are available that have shared facilities if you wish to save your money. There's no lift so be prepared to haul your bag up to your room on your own.
    The room had phone, tv and kettle for making your tea or coffee. A small wardrobe will let you hang your clothes to air them out.

Unique Quality: It had small rooms but great service. The room was tiny but I had my own bathroom, that's a luxury, even if it was teeny, at least it had a shower, no tub though. I think some rooms might have better bathing facilities.
    Full English breakfast was included in the price.
    The fire alarm going off in the middle of the night my first night was not appreciated though!
    Fantastic location about 8 minutes away from Victoria train station and Victoria coach station. It's within walking distance of Buckingham Palace, Green Park and other attractions.

Directions: 35 St. George's Drive, SW1 (near Victoria Station)

• londonlover's Profile Photo

Near Victoria Station

Unique Quality: I stayed here the second weekend we were in London, and it was very convenient for seeing things in the Westminster area of town. However, I enjoyed the Thanet Hotel much better overall--friendlier staff and a more homey feel. However, the Georgian House is very functional, clean, and comes at a reasonable price. Do bring earplugs if traffic noise bothers you--St. Georges Drive is a rather busy street.

Directions: 35-39 St. Georges Drive,
    About 4 blocks southeast of Victoria train station.

More about Georgian House Hotel

Nice hotel in great area

Georgian House Hotel is a nice hotel in a great area. It's walking distance from Victoria Station and also not far to the themse, Parliament and Westminster.
The room was small, also the bathroom (later inputed and very small) but everything was clean. But there are different rooms at the hotel (others are bigger and with better bathroom). Breakfast was also ok.
Luggage room was little and open for every guests, so put an extra lock at your luggage.
All in all, a nice hotel in great area for a short stay in London.

good value for the money

by TripAdvisor Member mkesmith

the georgian house hotel provides good value for the money. the rooms are small but very clean. i stayed for a month in a "student"( or basic) room. there was no congestion in the shared bathrooms fortunately.
the breakfast was delicious and ample, will keep you going all day. the staff was both friendly and knowledgeable. the internet in the front room is quite expensive, but that keeps it from being monopolized! stay here if you are coming to see london and a stylish room is not your priority. (see rick steves "sleeping in london", he refers to the student rooms as suitable for backpackers, but frugal visitors predominated. ) the three long flights up (and down) the stairs with luggage is quite a haul. no
porters or lifts so be prepared. at sixty i didn't mind, at seventy i might take a room on the first floor!

I am not usually picky, but a bit disappointing.

My husband and I just got back from a Christmas/New Year's trip to London yesterday and stayed at the Georgian house hotel for 7 days. After looking at the website and reviews I was quite excited that I booked a great little place. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed with many aspects of this hotel. We are in our 20's and have stayed in many low budget B&B's and hostels around Europe in the past that were equal or better than here. The location could not be beat, a wonderful, quiet area that is so close to the sights! We loved it! But the mattresses in the hotel are horrible! You can feel the springs sticking up into your back and I woke up my first night in immense pain. The bathroom also had a funny, mildew chemical odor. The furniture and bedding was also very low budget. The comforter seems like it could have been from the 80's. You would think they could do a little better, like a get a new cheap comforter once in awhile from Marks and Spencer. The pillows were also awful and seemed like they stole them from a hospital. We also did not have any of the correct channels offered, but instead had some german programs that were apparently being picked up by the satellite in the the house next door. After the first night we considered leaving, but asked for another room first. They did accommodate, although the lady said that all the matresses were the same. The next room was a vast improvement, it was on the other side of the building. The furniture was better, but the mattress still kind of bad. We laid every comforter they had on it and slept on that and it was much better that way. Our tv also had the right channels. The bathroom was very clean, but much smaller than the first one they had (almost like they ordered a pre-fab motor-home bathroom to put in). If you are very tall or very fat, this is not the place for you. The breakfast was also disappointing. It was adequate, but not the best I've had here in this lovely country. Oh well, we had a fabulous time here for New Year's and would definitely stay in this area again. There are a ton of B & B's all over the Victoria area, I will have to try another next time. Good luck and have a great trip! Britons are tuly wonderful people, I was impressed with this country's generosity when it came to the tsunami disaster.

lovely place

Lovely hotel. Friendly staff. Good Breakfast. Large room. Nice and confortable bed. Very good location. You can walk different routes for example the sublime Chelsea or the royal Belgravia. If they paint it it could be five stars. We feel in the real London.What a find!!!!

Not as Good as They Say

by TripAdvisor Member lauralei_7

I stayed here after reading favorable Trip Advisor reviews, so imagine my surprise when I entered my $90 single room with ensuite bath, to find a 6 x 8 space with a mildew problem in the bathroom. Granted, rooms in London run small, but for the price, and considering that this was supposed to one of the "better" rooms (not the dorm-like ones), it was quite uncomfortable. The single bed was firm and there is a small closet and desk, but not enough room to put the chair at the desk. Since the mildew smell was so bad and the toilet seat wouldn't open all the way (fell down each time one sat), I couldn't even retreat to the bathroom to use that as a chair! Had to spend most of my evening time outside and in the lobby.

The ceilings and walls are quite thin, so anyone walking above or talking nearby can be heard. However, the street noise wasn't bad. This hotel is in Victoria, a nice, safe neighborhood with plenty of restaurants around, and a walk to Tate Britian Museum. Staff was generally friendly, giving out maps (for a price) and info. Internet was available in the cozy lobby, but it's 4 pounds per hour (about $8). I'm not sure how well the heat works since I didn't use it, but make sure to store your luggage away from the radiator (you'll have trouble finding space, though)!

Good hotel for Europeans already using the Euro (for 50 Euros, a single is acceptable). But for Americans converting to dollars, the $100 for this might be a shock. Might make sense to get one of the cheaper rooms without a bathroom, since the bathroom itself was so uncomfortable anyway.

Quite adequate, clean, convenient

I spent a week here in October 2004. I e-mailed the hotel and asked for a ground floor as I have problems with stairs. I was told I had a first floor double room. It turned out to be on the 2nd floor (US), so I had a full staircase and a half to climb. The room was tiny by US standards, about 9' wide and maybe 12-15' long, including the bathroom. This size is pretty standard for European rooms, though. There was a tiny desk w/coffee/tea service. The stool doubled as a suitcase stand. The closet was a narrow pre-fab unit that held 4-5 hangars. The bathroom was tiny with a miniscule sink and 4' x 4' shower stall w/glass doors. that didn't open fully on one side because of the sink.

The tv has only 5 channels. The window, which faced the street, opened only at the top.

The hotel turned out to be ok.

The breakfast room is in the basement. I started ordering not the full English breakfast of OJ, fried or hardboiled egg, bacon, sausage, broiled tomato, cooked mushrooms and toast but bacon and eggs, w/toast. There is also choice of 5 cold cereals and canned peaches or grapefruit, plus excellent coffee. I did specify that I wanted my egg cooked "hard" (no runny yolk) and the kitchen did accommodate. In fact, the breakfasts were really quickly delivered. You go in, get cold cereal and coffee, they bring you juice, take your order, bring you toast, and shortly after, your hot breakfast. It took about 1/2 hr. start to finish.

The place was very clean, though I found a sticky rim on a coffee cup one morning. I also noticed the cup and glass in my room wasn't changed, so I don't know if they're merely washed in the sink or ???

They didn't change my sheets during the 7 days I was there, though they did change the towels daily. A tiny bar of soap is all they provide. Bring your own shampoo, etc.

There's a bus that runs via Victoria to Warwick, perhaps a block closer than getting off at Victoria.

Given the cost, 50 pounds for a single, it's a respectable place to spend a night or seven.

The neighborhood feels fairly safe as far as walking at night There's enough pedestrian traffic that walking from Victoria isn't frightning.

London:Central Self-Catering for Family?

by Torontogal

We'll be visiting London early August, for the first time with my 14 year old and husband, although husband and I have been before. Could someone please recommend either a reasonable B&B with 3-bed rooms, or a self-catering flat. Prefer to be in Zone 1, no parking required. Plan to stay at least a week before moving on. Thanks so much!!!

Re: London:Central Self-Catering for Family?

by SLRoof

We have stayed at the Georgian House Hotel several times in the past three years and have been very happy with the accomodations. While we have had a twin room, there are triples available. Breakfast is included each morning and the location in Pimlico on St. George's Dr. is excellent. The prices currently are 68-75 GBP for a triple with shared bath and 90 GBP en suite. The sizes vary for a double for the same price, so you may want to enquire about the size of the triples. Their very complete website is www.georgianhousehotel.co.uk. Have a wonderful trip!!

Comments