35 - 39 St. George's Dr, London, SW1V 4DG, United Kingdom

Budget Travel Family Travel School Holidays
See Amenities
DAO's Profile Photo

I MADE A MISTAKE

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 5, 2015

Actually I made 2 mistakes. First I accidentally booked the room, then I accidentally stayed here. I knew it was a Bed & Breakfast and I don't eat breakfast. I just didn't realise I had booked a 'Basic' room. OK, so I messed up and had to share a shower room and toilet (separate rooms) on 2 floors with 7 other bedrooms. And that my room would be nasty, run-down and lots of things not working. Did I mention that its was on the 4th floor (5th to North Americans) up intensely steep stairs? The amazing thing is that my room is pictured on their website! Please contrast the photos.

When I made my way up the stained carpeted stairs, my heart sank when I found my room. Worse still, I opened the door. What once may have had character and a small fireplace, now was a scary character.

I asked for an iron and a battered one was brought to me. My room was small and shabby. My 'closet' was a rail with a dingy curtain. The TV seemed to almost be ready to fall off the wall and did not actually have reception for a single channel. One of the electrical outlets didn't work, but neither did my electric kettle, so no coffee when I got up in the morning.

Trying to get a shower the next morning was a nightmare. When I finally did get into a steamy room full of other peoples' hair (on everything) - I was already late for work.

My bed was a bit firm and I had trouble sleeping in it. The neighbor started playing their TV loud through a thin wall and I had to go an explain that it was well past 11pm and I had work. I am guessing by the amount of time my neighbors spent in the shower - they did not have work the next day.

The only thing that looks good about this run-down old hotel is their website. Although you can see the metal legs of my plastic chair. Oh - and you can see my photos.

Sorry, but I'm not coming back. They actually quote these basic rooms sometimes at £110 for a single! They say they are a 4 star, but the first 5 out of the 6 photos on their homepage are not of the actually accommodation. Built in 1851 (they keep mentioning this), its been chopped up into small rooms and you have an eclectic mix of furniture, decoration and room layouts. With a lot of stained and worn surfaces throughout the hotel.

Unique Quality:
They offer 4 room types:

1. BASIC
Very. Bathroom and shower room are on separate floors at the top. You get a small sink and a mirror. Wi-fi is £2 an hour unless you go all the way to the lobby. Doors bang shut. Breakfast is included. There is a coffee/tea tray - if you can get the kettle to work. TV is mentioned - but not reception!

2. STANDARD
En-suite with either a shower or bath tubs and a toilet. Free internet from a cable.

3. CLASSIC
They DO mention TV channels now! Bastards. Also a CD/DVD player and (wired) internet for free. Bring your own cable!

4. APARTMENTS
3 beds, fully equipped kitchen and free (wired) internet.

Please note: this hotel is not really set-up to accommodate guests short of mountain climbing fitness levels.

Directions:
Tube and rail - all about 2000ft/600 meters away
* Victoria Tube/Rail (District & Circle Lines, Victoria line, Gatwick Express, national rail)
* Pimlico (Victoria line)
* Sloan Square (District and Circle Lines)

Marthamaire's Profile Photo

Shockingly small room

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 27, 2010

I booked this hotel through Orbitz. I stayed from July 19 through July 24. I have stayed in London on many occasions before when I had much less money so I am used to being in two star bed and breakfasts. I was absolutely appalled at the size of the single room. (I had booked one with a private bathroom.) I have had much bigger single rooms in the bad area of Kings Cross. When I walked in, I saw that there was literally no room for me to have the chair there and also keep my suitcase on the floor. I had to move the chair so that it almost blocked the door. I am five feet tall and 95 pounds and I cannot imagine what it would be like in that tiny hole for a bigger person. I was so upset that I went down to the front desk and asked to upgrade. I made it clear I would pay whatever difference in cost there was. I was told there was no other room available. There was a total of three hangers in the closet which is absurd. There is no ice machine and I and several other visitors were turned away when asking for ice. I had been told that a "full English breakfast" was included. When I checked in, I was advised that it was "continental" and that if I wanted the full breakfast, it would be another three and a half pounds per day. At five days that would have been 17 and a half pounds more. Considering that there were resturants near by offering a full English breakfast for 2.99 pounds, I declined to pay more. The cleaning staff left much to be desired, failing to replace toilet paper without a note and failing to replace the tea bags and sugar I used. When I ckeched in, I found dirty towels in the closet. One day they did not clean my room by 2pm when I returned from a museum and I had to contact the front desk. The continental breakfast was ok for me but that is because I don't eat alot. They will give you all the toast you can eat but it is cheap white bread and cheap "brown" bread, that is, white bread colored brown. You also have one egg either fried or boiled, ceral and canned fruit. The breakfast staff is very nice, especially Rachel.
The location is good. You can walk from Victoria Underground. But walk on the other side of the street from the one used by the masses. It will cut down your walk time by half. You can walk to Buckingham Palace which gives you some idea of the location. Daniel and Monica, who staff the front desk, were very very helpful. A man named Tom was so rude and nasty that one day I asked for his name, saying I was a member of Virtual Tourist and planned to write a review. From that time on, he was nice but his initial rude and condescending attitude when I asked simple questions left a deep impression on me. I stayed in a room overlooking the front street and there was no noise problem. You can use the internet for two pounds an hour. Within three blocks, there is a place that only charges one pound for an hour if you want to save cash. There are two grocery stores within five or six blocks and a fine Indian Resturant called Paradise. I would definitely not recommend this hotel to a single traveler unless they are very short on money. I checked out several hotels nearby and they had much bigger rooms for the same or even lower price.

Unique Quality: None.

Directions: Victoria Underground. Take Buckingham Palace exit. Turn left; walk down to Victoria Couch Station, turn left. Walk down about three blocks. It is right next door to the Consulate for Albania!!!

A2002's Profile Photo

Georgian House B&B.

by written on September 8, 2002

I have not stayed here before, but this is one of the cheapest B&B I found on the web. The website looks good for that price. They have two wings. Newer one cost more.

Unique Quality: Relatively cheap B&B. Value for money if you are in a group and get a family room. There are better places to stay in during winter where many places in London has "winter sale".
Certainly better than the hostels.

Directions: Near Victoria. Nearest Tube station is Victoria. About 10 minutes walk from the underground.

hayward68's Profile Photo

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 25, 2002

I paid £48 for a single with ensuite. Cheaper rooms are available that have shared facilities if you wish to save your money. There's no lift so be prepared to haul your bag up to your room on your own.
The room had phone, tv and kettle for making your tea or coffee. A small wardrobe will let you hang your clothes to air them out.

Unique Quality: It had small rooms but great service. The room was tiny but I had my own bathroom, that's a luxury, even if it was teeny, at least it had a shower, no tub though. I think some rooms might have better bathing facilities.
Full English breakfast was included in the price.
The fire alarm going off in the middle of the night my first night was not appreciated though!
Fantastic location about 8 minutes away from Victoria train station and Victoria coach station. It's within walking distance of Buckingham Palace, Green Park and other attractions.

Directions: 35 St. George's Drive, SW1 (near Victoria Station)

londonlover's Profile Photo

Near Victoria Station

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 25, 2002

Unique Quality: I stayed here the second weekend we were in London, and it was very convenient for seeing things in the Westminster area of town. However, I enjoyed the Thanet Hotel much better overall--friendlier staff and a more homey feel. However, the Georgian House is very functional, clean, and comes at a reasonable price. Do bring earplugs if traffic noise bothers you--St. Georges Drive is a rather busy street.

Directions: 35-39 St. Georges Drive,
About 4 blocks southeast of Victoria train station.

Nearby Georgian House Hotel

Amenities at Georgian House Hotel

• Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Buckingham Palace
Hyde Park
Camden Town, Lock and Market
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Taxis
Train / Bus Stations
Souvenirs
Driving in London
Transportation
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Madame Tussauds and Planetarium
Department stores
Trains
Music, video, DVD's etc.
Pigeons
Warnings and Dangers
Public Transport (not taxis)
Petticoat Lane, Spitalfields and Brick Lane