Grand Plaza Bayswater London

Grand Plaza Serviced Apartments
Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Costs 22% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Smells of sewage

Enjoyed the stay and the novel approach to hotels (an apartment!) until we woke up on the first and only morning of our stay to an overpowering smell of raw sewage. We opened the windows and the door to hope to dissipate the smell, but couldn't face breakfast in the room with the stench still in our nostrils. We checked out and complained to the duty reception manager. He checked out the room and didn't really want to accept that we had had a problem and dismissed our concerns. We left very unhappy. Would certainly not recommend this hotel - I'm sure you'll have an ok time if you do stay here - unless something goes wrong. You might leave feeling you'd been treated like a liar!

More about Grand Plaza Bayswater London

Great stay!

My boyfriend and I booked it using Go Today and we were very happy with it. Our room was spacious, with a little lounge area (couch and desk) and a little table and kitchenette with a hotpot for boiling water, a little fridge, and utensils and plates provided. The hotel is clean, the employees extremely helpful, and the breakfast is decent--croissants and danishes, cereal, toast, fruit, yogurt, coffee, tea and juice. Oh, and the housekeeping was excellent, as well.

The hotel is two short blocks from the Bayswater tube stop, which is on the Circle Line, which can be slow, but that's no biggie. It's also near the Queensway stop, which is on the Central Line, but note that this stop is under construction until May. Just walk a little farther, though, to get to the Notting Hill Gate stop on the Central Line.

There's no Internet at the hotel, but around the corner is a place where you can hop online for a half-hour for 50p. And Portobello Market, and Hyde Park and Kensington Palace (and the Kensington Orangery, for a yummy tea) are a short walk!

I highly recommend the Somerset Bayswater and will surely book here again.

Book it!

by TripAdvisor Member Lady_Dee

I stayed at the Somerset Bayswater for 5 nights and it was a great stay. As a female travelling alone, I felt very safe there. The hotel is wonderfully located in a pleasant neighborhood with easy access to public transportation. In fact, London Paddington Station is a brisk 15-minute walk *almost* in a straight line from the hotel. You can get to the Bayswater tube station is less than 5 minutes from the hotel. Those cute double deckers buses (great views on top!) are also within a short walk. If you do take the bus, remember this: exit from the BACK. Don't embarass yourself like I did one night!

My studio room was clean, bright and modern and the bed was comfortable. The refrigerator in the handy kitchenette kept things nice and cold, (great for leftovers and drinks.) There were plenty of restaurants and internet cafes in the neighborhood and even a shopping mall, Whitely's, right on the corner. I cannot neglect to mention: the bathtub was much larger than what I'm used to at home and fantastic to soak in after an exhausting day. Breakfast was more than adequate. I usually had a croissant, a yogurt, and some fresh fruit, (apples, oranges, bananas.)

For the money you'll not find a nicer hotel. Don't hesitate, just book it!

Excellent.

by TripAdvisor Member rallyp

Booked the hotel through a go-today.com trip package to London and had no idea what to expect. Generally our experience with european hotels are that they are very small so our expectations we're along those lines. We were very pleasantly surprised to see a modern and spacious room (seemed to be recently renovated). The room had a small kitchen area, very adequate closet space, a small 'living' area and sleeping area. The whole hotel seemed to be in good condition. The area is excellent. Very close walking distance to Tube stations so you have access to all of London.

Wonderful place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member kswdvm

By any hotel standards, this is a very nice and well cared-for place to stay, but by European standards, it is well above average. Having traveled to London previously and had to stay in a room that I could stand in the middle and touch both walls (and I'm not over 5.5ft tall), I tend to expect things to be a bit cramped in my hotel room. But the room I was given was so large, it felt decadent! A king-sized bed and still room to walk around it! A full-sized tub and shower! Having an area to make a small meal was nice too, after all the eating out. The hallways are a little reminicent of a rabbit warren (and very narrow too), but how much time do you spend in the hall? I did try to use the laundry facilities, but it was always crowded and machines were out of service. You'd do better going to the laundrette about a block down the road. The staff was friendly and helpful, a rare thing in London, and the location is great, too. I look forward to staying there again.

Simply the best..

Dont bother looking elsewhere, just book it !
Location, price, service.. second to none,
I know where I'll be staying next time I'm in London.

Bayswater Apartments and surrounding area

by cylander

Hello! Has anyone stayed at the Somerset Bayswater apartments, owned by the Ascott group? The photos and rates looked good on the website, and most of the tripadvisor reviews were positive, but I'd love to hear VT members opinions.

The nearest tube stops are Bayswater and Queensway, what is this location like? Is it safe to walk at night? Since Queensway is on the Central line I am guessing it is a convenient enough base to see all the major sights. Any recommendations for restaurants or anything unique in the Bayswater area?

I have already booked it, but it's not too late to cancel if necessary!

Thank you for any of your thoughts.

by ECYM

Hi

I have nvr stayed in the apartments but had stayed near the area in Year 2002(between Bayswater and Queensway). There's streets of eateries opp and along Queensway station and its fairly lively in the night. I was told there is a chinese restaurant opp the station ( I forgot the name )which is quite nice but have not tried it at that time.

Sorry not able to help much... :P

EC

by christine.j

I don't know about the apartments, but the area is fine. Whenever I go to London, I always stay in Bayswater. You're close to all the major sights, there are many tourists staying and I feel it's safe to come back late. It's close to the parks and not too far from Paddington station (Heathrow Express).

by cylander

Thanks Christine and ECYM! The area sounds very agreeable. Good to know!

Comments