8 - 10 Coopers Row, London, EC3N 2BD, United Kingdom

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• DAO's Profile Photo

MY FAVOURITE LONDON HOTEL

This is my favourite hotel in London. No doubt about it. I came across this wonderful hotel when I was looking for a business conference facility. It was by far the best looking venue I saw in my search and I kept thinking ‘I hope I can stay there one day’. I have had the pleasure of staying here twice. Absolutely wonderful. The hotel has old world charm and does the one thing all hotels should – gives you a good night’s sleep. My rooms have always been well appointed, had lots of nice extras, a very comfortable bed and been absolutely quiet. In terms of service – nothing is a problem. From the uniformed doorman to the reception, bar, gym, spa, restaurant(s) and housekeeping staff – you receive warm welcomes. I have enjoyed every facility they have to offer and hope I can stay here again. The hotel was built when hotels were made to provide a restful stay. The facilities are great and the location is amazing. The hotel overlooks the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. The property even has a section of the original 2,000 year old Roman wall as well. Many of the key Tourist attractions in London are on your doorstep and you are surrounded by tube stations, bars, pubs, restaurants, corner shops and even a full grocery store. This is one of the best situated hotels in London and the sight of sunset over the Thames, the Tower of London and Tower Bridge are on your doorstep.

I will detail the amenities and facilities below, but I can assure you that this is a great hotel. Just walking down the corridors to your room lets you know that your stay will be quiet and peaceful. Entering the bedrooms is like walking back in time to when hotels were hotels with the modern extras added in.

They even turn down your bed in the evening and have fresh fruit in the room. Pure class.

For me the ultimate hotel has quiet rooms, great beds, a good fridge, bathroom with proper mirrors, good toiletries, a steam iron/board and a proper closet. The basics so many hotels never even come close to. As a business traveller I want a good meal, a proper night’s sleep, iron my shirt, a free newspaper, friendly staff and – if I can get it – some local attractions. This is why The Grange City Hotel is in my top 10 business hotels worldwide. Its just gets it all right. And you can’t best the Tower of London on your doorstep.

One of the restaurants, Koto II Japanese Restaurant, is one of my favourites in London. They do all you can eat sushi for £21. Throw in a few beers and its heaven on my business budget.

The Grange City Hotel offers a lot of deals, discounts and upgrades. In fact they are pretty imaginative. Please check their website and also they have an email newsletter. Sometimes they even offer ‘Secret Hotel’ deal on the lastminute.com website.

Unique Quality:

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
    • Located right next to the Tower of London and Tower Hill Tube Station
    • 307 En-suite rooms, 10 Suites and 1 Penthouse
    • 15 Conference and Syndicate rooms
    • 24 hour Reception desk, Concierge, porterage, laundry, dry cleaning
    • 2 restaurants and 3 bars
    • Health Club, swimming pool, gym, spa, steam and sauna
    • Lots of restaurants, bars and shops on your doorstep
    • Fully set-up for Accessibility needs and children from beds o food

ROOMS:
    • Climate control and air conditioning and all rooms are non-smoking
    • Tea/coffee making facilities, complimentary newspaper, in-room safe
    • Iron and ironing board and trouser press
    • Hypoallergenic pillows and duvets
    • TV with satellite/cable TV channels, Pay Per View films, CD/Music Centre
    • Mini bar (there is room for your own drinks)
    • Business amenities including desk, High-speed internet (wired and Wi-Fi)
    • Bathrooms have robes, great toiletries and telephone and hairdryer
    • Wardrobes have automatic lighting
    • Female friendly rooms

RESTAURANTS AND BARS:
    • Koto II Japanese Restaurant (all you can eat on a conveyor)
    • The Lutetia Bar and Brasserie (French – lunch and bar menu at night)
    • Isis bar

FACILITIES:
    • Indoor heated pool and Jacuzzi (with a Roman/Greek theme)
    • Health Club, gym, spa, steam, sauna, beauty therapy, classes, virtual golf
    • Car parking (not recommended) – on street and a 2 minute walk

Directions:
    TUBE:
    Tower Hill – on your doorstep (District and Circle Lines)
    Aldgate - (Metropolitan and Circle)
    Aldgate East - (Circle; District; Hammersmith & City)
    NATIONAL RAIL:
    Fenchurch Street (0.1 miles)
    DLR:
    Tower Gateway (0.1 miles)

• sindre92's Profile Photo

Living great in the City

We came in late, and found that they had overbooked due to a convention. We were then offered a Junior Studio, which was far more than we had paid for. And mind you, we had gotten a great deal via Internet to begin with.

During our week long stay, we had absolutely no complaints. Staff was amazing, service great, and everything was just brilliant. So this hotel made our stay in London even better than it already was.

Unique Quality: Great location, as it is quiet and still central. Excellent view towards the Tower if you get a room facing the street. Gym, restaurant, all the things you need are there.

Directions: Just up the street from the underground station on Tower Hill

• YPie's Profile Photo

Very nice!

I got a great deal on the internet for this hotel, £70 for a five star hotel including breakfast was always going to be a deal I couldn't turn down. And, true to form, I didn't!

Check in and the reception area was all very smooth, my room was nice and big with a huge bed, tv, bose cd player/radio, sofa, coffee table etc. The only disappointment really was the size of the bathroom which was nice but small.

The hotel has a huge (for London) swimming pool and decent gym which, for me, was worth paying the extra for as I've finally started a fitness kick. Not that I had much time for using it as I was trying to cram as much as possible into my weekend in London! The one criticism I'd have about this is that the health club only opens at 8.30am on a Saturday morning, there was a decent size queue forming by that time, and personally I'd have liked to be able to have a swim at about 7.30 and then breakfast, then be able to get out and about at about 9. But then I'm a morning person!

I also had continental breakfast included. This was basically toast, jam, cereal and various pastries. There wasn't any yoghurt or even orange juice which did disappoint me slightly. But I'd rather stay somewhere with a minimal breakfast included than pay an extra £10 to be able to have a wider selection elsewhere.

The location's great too, it's right by Tower Hill tube station and some of the rooms have great views over the tower and the city/river. Plus the bit of Roman wall in the piazza by the bar. I could go on and on!

Overall I had a great stay, and I'd go back if I can get another good price. I was just disappointed I was only booked there for one night of my weekend away, for the next night I moved on to the Thistle Marble Arch (my plans changed about a week before I went and I couldn't book a second night in the Thistle so went to the Grange for the extra night - good move!)

Unique Quality: The pool is huge for London, and nice with it.

Directions: Right by the Tower of London and Tower Hill tube station.

• London Hotel in the City

The good: Paid (only) 80 pounds for 2 inclusive of breakfast and taxes. Excellent room. VERY clean. Tons of Space. Bose "dream machine" (I think) radio/Cd player. Nice views (I requested a high floor and got on the 10th) of the Tower of London. Excellent bathroom. Good TV with 4 BBC/4 SkySports Channels. Excellent location for business. Complete breakfast that was excellent, fresh and filling. BAD: Waited until 3PM for room to be ready. Possibly the least central location for tourists- Given the nature of the Underground, expect to spend at least 30 minutes EACH way to the West End (where things are happening) O 10-15 pounds. Nights are dead in the area of the hotel. The mini bar is automatic meaning dont touch a damn thing. No room to put anything inside it. The service is minimal (was told by the part-time "I dont know" about 50 times).

Unique Quality: VERY nice pool & excellent views of the tower/tower bridge.

Directions: Behind the Tower

More about Grange City Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member cseanmc

Very nice modern hotel right around the corner from the Tower of London. Rooms are nice, but not very large. I did not have a nice view, but that is b/c I opted to take a room early as I was tired and needed a shower after a long plane trip. Staff seemed adequate. Hotel was clean. The main issue is this is really a business hotel located near the financial district. Other than the Tower Of London there really is nothing to do around there for a tourist. Tube station is 1/2 a block away so you can catch that pretty easily. At night the area around the hotel is pretty quiet. Hotel bar is open late for a drink after he pubs close at 11 pm.

great value for money on the weekends

by TripAdvisor Member jmallmann

I have stayed at the grange city last weekend. i really like the location, just steps from the tower tube station and the no 15 bus calling at many london sights (also nightbus).
the room was excellent, huge bathroom, even a c d player at the room. i had a room towards the railway line next to the hotel but did not found this disturbing at all.
the health club with a big pool is very nice, probably the nicest i have ever seen in london.
this is for sure a 5 star hotel and i do not understand some of the other opinions about the hotel here on this side. the staff was very helpful and friendly. continental breakfast was included in my rate of 80 pounds per night for a double. for a surcharge you can get an english breakfast. i liked the bar at the hotel, too. there are some nice pubs and restaurants in walking distance next to the tower bridge in the old harbour area.
i would definetly stay again at the grange city hotel.

perfect

this hotel was chose as a surprise weekend break for me by my fiance.he couldnt of picked better.helpful staff,nice breakfast but do get there before 9 am or you could have a bit of a wait.only downside is that no local pubs or places to eat are open at the weekend just monday to friday but the train station is right next door so you dont have far to go.would reccomend this hotel to anyone.
by the way to those people who mentioned in their review that the 8th floor is haunted,did u not notice the ice machine room and that it is constantly making noises so dont be put off by these noises it certainly is not the bogeyman.

Fantastic Modern hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Conorq

My partner and i came back to the Grange City after a wonderful previous stay. This time it was even nicer. If you are looking for a newly built modern 5 star hotel then the grange is for you.
The rooms are bigger than average london hotels with extremly comfortable beds, cd players, large marble bathrooms.
The continental breakfast was perfect in the morning.
also a mention for the location,over looking the tower of london, for a relaxing stay its perfect, not in the centre but not that far from it.
I have recommended to friends and have booked my parents in for a stay too.
You can get a last minute deal on the website address for £80 (including breakfast at the W/E).
I have attached a photo of the room we stayed in, taken with a cam phone so not the best quality but hope it helps.

good value at weekend rates

Stayed here for 6 nights and was allocated a spacious room with views over the Tower of London, Tower Bridge & the Thames. The bed was comfortable , although they have blankets rather than duvets. The bathroom was small but had a bath & good shower, excellent molton brown products & a bathrobe. There is an excellent pool & good gym. The location is great if you are working in the City or for tourists who wish to visit the Tower, Tower Bridge, St Pauls & Tate Modern-all within walking distance. The tube is 2 minutes away with access to the rest of London. What lets the hotel down is the food-the breakfast is poor quality & expensive. The sushi bar is OK but not great. Service was generally good, but I was very unimpressed with one of the reservations team who took 4 phone calls whilst dealing with a mistake in my bill & did not apologise. In summary, I would recommend this hotel at the weekend rates, but it is overpriced during the week.

5 stars ?

Don't you ever wonder who actually is giving hotels their star ratings? Anyways, the Grange City was OK for the 80 pounds a night rate, but not a dazzling unforgettable 5 star experience that you would expect, but hey it only cost 80 pounds so you get what you pay for. If you want peace and quiet in your room you have to remember to post the "do not disturb sign", i didn't in the beginning and i had a visitor every 5 minutes knockin on my door, first it was a maid, then a guy who said he had to come in to check my refrigerator to see if I ate any of the pringles. He had this whole checklist and slowly did his thing at the refrigerator even though i was in the room, which i thought was not so 5 star. The third visitor was a women offering chocolates which was nice, but definitely after the third visitor i had to put the sign up. So yeah put the sign up. Oh and another thing, stay away from the mini bar beers - although its nice to crack one open in your room, it ain't worth the price you have to pay when you check out.

Comments