Grange City Hotel

DAO's Profile Photo

MY FAVOURITE LONDON HOTEL

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 25, 2013

This is my favourite hotel in London. No doubt about it. I came across this wonderful hotel when I was looking for a business conference facility. It was by far the best looking venue I saw in my search and I kept thinking ‘I hope I can stay there one day’. I have had the pleasure of staying here twice. Absolutely wonderful. The hotel has old world charm and does the one thing all hotels should – gives you a good night’s sleep. My rooms have always been well appointed, had lots of nice extras, a very comfortable bed and been absolutely quiet. In terms of service – nothing is a problem. From the uniformed doorman to the reception, bar, gym, spa, restaurant(s) and housekeeping staff – you receive warm welcomes. I have enjoyed every facility they have to offer and hope I can stay here again. The hotel was built when hotels were made to provide a restful stay. The facilities are great and the location is amazing. The hotel overlooks the Tower of London and Tower Bridge. The property even has a section of the original 2,000 year old Roman wall as well. Many of the key Tourist attractions in London are on your doorstep and you are surrounded by tube stations, bars, pubs, restaurants, corner shops and even a full grocery store. This is one of the best situated hotels in London and the sight of sunset over the Thames, the Tower of London and Tower Bridge are on your doorstep.

I will detail the amenities and facilities below, but I can assure you that this is a great hotel. Just walking down the corridors to your room lets you know that your stay will be quiet and peaceful. Entering the bedrooms is like walking back in time to when hotels were hotels with the modern extras added in.

They even turn down your bed in the evening and have fresh fruit in the room. Pure class.

For me the ultimate hotel has quiet rooms, great beds, a good fridge, bathroom with proper mirrors, good toiletries, a steam iron/board and a proper closet. The basics so many hotels never even come close to. As a business traveller I want a good meal, a proper night’s sleep, iron my shirt, a free newspaper, friendly staff and – if I can get it – some local attractions. This is why The Grange City Hotel is in my top 10 business hotels worldwide. Its just gets it all right. And you can’t best the Tower of London on your doorstep.

One of the restaurants, Koto II Japanese Restaurant, is one of my favourites in London. They do all you can eat sushi for £21. Throw in a few beers and its heaven on my business budget.

The Grange City Hotel offers a lot of deals, discounts and upgrades. In fact they are pretty imaginative. Please check their website and also they have an email newsletter. Sometimes they even offer ‘Secret Hotel’ deal on the lastminute.com website.

Unique Quality:

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• Located right next to the Tower of London and Tower Hill Tube Station
• 307 En-suite rooms, 10 Suites and 1 Penthouse
• 15 Conference and Syndicate rooms
• 24 hour Reception desk, Concierge, porterage, laundry, dry cleaning
• 2 restaurants and 3 bars
• Health Club, swimming pool, gym, spa, steam and sauna
• Lots of restaurants, bars and shops on your doorstep
• Fully set-up for Accessibility needs and children from beds o food

ROOMS:
• Climate control and air conditioning and all rooms are non-smoking
• Tea/coffee making facilities, complimentary newspaper, in-room safe
• Iron and ironing board and trouser press
• Hypoallergenic pillows and duvets
• TV with satellite/cable TV channels, Pay Per View films, CD/Music Centre
• Mini bar (there is room for your own drinks)
• Business amenities including desk, High-speed internet (wired and Wi-Fi)
• Bathrooms have robes, great toiletries and telephone and hairdryer
• Wardrobes have automatic lighting
• Female friendly rooms

RESTAURANTS AND BARS:
• Koto II Japanese Restaurant (all you can eat on a conveyor)
• The Lutetia Bar and Brasserie (French – lunch and bar menu at night)
• Isis bar

FACILITIES:
• Indoor heated pool and Jacuzzi (with a Roman/Greek theme)
• Health Club, gym, spa, steam, sauna, beauty therapy, classes, virtual golf
• Car parking (not recommended) – on street and a 2 minute walk

Directions:
TUBE:
Tower Hill – on your doorstep (District and Circle Lines)
Aldgate - (Metropolitan and Circle)
Aldgate East - (Circle; District; Hammersmith & City)
NATIONAL RAIL:
Fenchurch Street (0.1 miles)
DLR:
Tower Gateway (0.1 miles)

sindre92's Profile Photo

Living great in the City

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 4, 2006

We came in late, and found that they had overbooked due to a convention. We were then offered a Junior Studio, which was far more than we had paid for. And mind you, we had gotten a great deal via Internet to begin with.

During our week long stay, we had absolutely no complaints. Staff was amazing, service great, and everything was just brilliant. So this hotel made our stay in London even better than it already was.

Unique Quality: Great location, as it is quiet and still central. Excellent view towards the Tower if you get a room facing the street. Gym, restaurant, all the things you need are there.

Directions: Just up the street from the underground station on Tower Hill

YPie's Profile Photo

Very nice!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 14, 2004

I got a great deal on the internet for this hotel, £70 for a five star hotel including breakfast was always going to be a deal I couldn't turn down. And, true to form, I didn't!

Check in and the reception area was all very smooth, my room was nice and big with a huge bed, tv, bose cd player/radio, sofa, coffee table etc. The only disappointment really was the size of the bathroom which was nice but small.

The hotel has a huge (for London) swimming pool and decent gym which, for me, was worth paying the extra for as I've finally started a fitness kick. Not that I had much time for using it as I was trying to cram as much as possible into my weekend in London! The one criticism I'd have about this is that the health club only opens at 8.30am on a Saturday morning, there was a decent size queue forming by that time, and personally I'd have liked to be able to have a swim at about 7.30 and then breakfast, then be able to get out and about at about 9. But then I'm a morning person!

I also had continental breakfast included. This was basically toast, jam, cereal and various pastries. There wasn't any yoghurt or even orange juice which did disappoint me slightly. But I'd rather stay somewhere with a minimal breakfast included than pay an extra £10 to be able to have a wider selection elsewhere.

The location's great too, it's right by Tower Hill tube station and some of the rooms have great views over the tower and the city/river. Plus the bit of Roman wall in the piazza by the bar. I could go on and on!

Overall I had a great stay, and I'd go back if I can get another good price. I was just disappointed I was only booked there for one night of my weekend away, for the next night I moved on to the Thistle Marble Arch (my plans changed about a week before I went and I couldn't book a second night in the Thistle so went to the Grange for the extra night - good move!)

Unique Quality: The pool is huge for London, and nice with it.

Directions: Right by the Tower of London and Tower Hill tube station.

London Hotel in the City

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 21, 2003

The good: Paid (only) 80 pounds for 2 inclusive of breakfast and taxes. Excellent room. VERY clean. Tons of Space. Bose "dream machine" (I think) radio/Cd player. Nice views (I requested a high floor and got on the 10th) of the Tower of London. Excellent bathroom. Good TV with 4 BBC/4 SkySports Channels. Excellent location for business. Complete breakfast that was excellent, fresh and filling. BAD: Waited until 3PM for room to be ready. Possibly the least central location for tourists- Given the nature of the Underground, expect to spend at least 30 minutes EACH way to the West End (where things are happening) O 10-15 pounds. Nights are dead in the area of the hotel. The mini bar is automatic meaning dont touch a damn thing. No room to put anything inside it. The service is minimal (was told by the part-time "I dont know" about 50 times).

Unique Quality: VERY nice pool & excellent views of the tower/tower bridge.

Directions: Behind the Tower

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Buckingham Palace
Piccadilly
Trafalgar Square
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Taxis
Department stores
Driving in London
Souvenirs
Shopping
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Train / Bus Stations
Airports
Music, video, DVD's etc.
Arts and Entertainment
Favorites
Public Transport (not taxis)
Architectural
The Thames
Galileo's Locanda Toscana
Miracles, Cockfosters
Restaurants
Theatre and Shows (including tickets)
Piccadilly