Grange Holborn Hotel (The)

50-60 Southampton Row, London, WC1B 4AR, United Kingdom

Grange Holborn Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 54% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Djinn76's Profile Photo

Expensive hotel in the center

I've stayed twice at this hotel so far, each time for business!
    Thanks god, I was not paying by myself, it is bloody expensive! Even if the hotel was good in general, I found the ratio price/quality a bit disappointing.
    The room was big but filled in with two huge double-beds, staying there alone, it was not making too much sense to me...
    ...not much space left for the armchairs and the small desk!
    Comparatively to the room, the bathroom was really small but the minimum was there...

Couple of magazines were available, always useful when you have to take your lunch alone in the restaurant!

Quite amazing, there is a swimming pool as well but I haven't got the time to enjoy it!

**update** NEVER AGAIN!!! I was supposed to stay there a third time but they overbooked me!! They downgraded me to a second class hotel in a nearby street! I have been dropped in a dark tiny smoky room in the basement!! According to the taxi driver, I'm not the first one!!

Unique Quality: The restaurant provides good food at a reasonable price!

The hotel is perfectly located, right in the center, really close to a tube station.

Directions: Holborne tube station

• Swou's Profile Photo

Ok, except fairly expensive

My husband and I have stayed in this hotel a couple of times, for periods of about 3-4 days. We enjoy the relative calmness of the neighborhood it's in (mostly offices), and the fact it's within walking distance of main shopping streets. The price is elevated though, especially if you're staying during the week. Although the deco is slightly outdated, I thought it was worth the price, as I'd much rather pay more for an upper scale hotel than being stuck in a seedy hotel somewhere strange.

I have the impression this hotel is used mainly by business people.

Unique Quality: You must try their english breakfast buffet, divine:)

Directions: the limit of West End and The City

• mazzap's Profile Photo

Perfect for a City of London Stopover

Stayed here just 1 night & couldn't fault the service in any way. The rooms are not huge, & the bathroom is cramped, but everything in them is clean, smart & fresh.

We booked a few weeks ahead through laterooms.com with no problems. At £95 for a double room with breakfast (note, breakfast only included in the price at weekends), the rate was very reasonable. On some other websites the cost was almost double so best to check out a few before booking!

Located a few minutes walk from Holborn Underground station & within walking distance to the West End of London.

Unique Quality: The hotel earns it's 5 stars by providing a state-of-the-art Conference & Events Centre, Health & Fitness Club with luxury swimming pool, sauna, steam room, gym & therapy and beauty suites (sadly didn't have time to use the facilities but they all looked lovely!)

There are 2 restaurants within the hotel serving both Japanese & International cuisine. Many other places to eat & drink can be found very close by.

• YPie's Profile Photo

Very plush

I stayed here on business in June 2004. For me, the main advantage was the location as it was handy for both Kings Cross station and the offices I was visiting on Holborn.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't spend a great deal of time either in my room or in the other hotel facilities. This is my big gripe when I stay in business hotels. They're very plush and have lots of facilities, but when on earth am I meant to get time to use them?!

I did get a good night's sleep though, and didn't find any problems with the room, the service or anything else in the hotel. My rate didn't include breakfast though, which is a bit disappointing when you're paying £150 per night (or it would have been had I actually been paying!). The hotel has a gym and a swimming pool which is a bonus, particularly in London, but having been dragged out for a meal with my boss I didn't get the chance to use them.

I wasn't bowled over by the experience, but it was far from the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. And I'm staying in another Grange hotel in London this weekend (September 10th) and even paying for it myself, so they must have made a decent impression on me! Mind you, it may have had something to do with getting a really good deal on it...

Unique Quality: It has a pool and a gym, and all the corporate facilities you'd expect. But I don't know whether it has a "soul".

More about Grange Holborn Hotel (The)

Second Class Hotel

by Djinn76 about The Clarendon

Considering the story, my feelings about this hotel are probably slightly biased!

Indeed, it looks like the Grange hotel chain owns several hotel in Bedford Place, the Clarendon is one of them.
I'm now under the impression that the politic of this chain is to lure customers with their flagship hotels and then drop them in these second-class hotels!
I should have been suspicious when booking the Grange Holborn, the rate was much lower (90£ instead of 150+£) than it used to be! At my arrival, the receptionist asked me to take a seat, his manager was willing to talk to me! That never smell very good... and indeed this guy told me some crazy story about a computer crash to explain an overbooking! However he had relocated me in another hotel nearby and was offering an English breakfast, was it ok with me? My feelings about the Grange hotel were already not very high so why not, it couldn't be much worse... How wrong was I!!

The Clarendon is indeed pretty well located, in a street nearby the Grange Hotel, not for from the tube station...
This is pretty much its only quality! I've later found out from some website this was considered a 4 stars hotel, this is quite puzzling or I've got the worse room in the place!
This is quite possible, my conversation with the receptionist when checking in:
- your room is at the ground floor, lift is over there
- why would I need a lift if my room is at the ground floor
- well, you misunderstood me, your room is indeed *under* the ground floor

They dropped me in a small dark tiny room in the basement!! I had reserved a non smoking room but the smell of cold smoke was quite strong! The two huge double beds from the Grange Holborn were now replaced by a single small bed...

This hotel could qualify as a good budget hotel for personal travel but looking at the price on the web, normal prices don't even seem to be so cheap! The English breakfast was indeed complimentary following that story!! Good thing it was, the regular breakfast buffet looked quite poor and was less than appetizing...
English breakfast is not from the buffet, if not included, you'd have to pay extra for it! After placing the order, you still have 5-10 minutes to wait before they bring you the breakfast in a plate! It was not too bad!

Great hotel, lovely staff

by TripAdvisor Member Locotravel

I stayed at The Grange Holborn Hotel for a romantic weekend with my boyfriend. I went to the hotel the day before we checked in and asked to view the rooms to see whether I wanted a standard or king room. They did this without hassle and a reservations person showed me through the rooms. I mentioned that it was for a special occasion and he was nice enough to make a note on my booking to reflect that - which in turn got us a free upgrade to a king room We checked in with no hassle and found the staff helpful. We made use of the swimming pool (which isn't very heated!) and the steam room. The room was great and we had no problems whatsoever. The buffet breakfast was a good too, especially since we only paid £85pn. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel.

Very Satisfying

by TripAdvisor Member MAG10

Our family of three searched far and wide before committing to 11 nights in one hotel during the holiday season. We landed on the Grange Holborn and, after a lengthy stay, were very pleased with our choice. Especially given all the insecurities attached to making a choice with great potential impact on an overseas vacation, we can say that there were no disappointments. The Grange was clean, quiet and staffed by courteous people who seemed to recognize the value of service. The facilities were impressive, from exercise gym to sauna and pool. The buffet breakfast was excellent. The Grange is a two to three minute walk to the tube with easy access to the most vital tube routes. There are decent neighborhood restaurants within easy walking distance. Attractions such as the British Museum and St. Paul's Cathedral also are easily accessed on foot. We'd stay there again without hesitation.

excellent stay

by TripAdvisor Member personLosAngeles

Having never been to London, my wife and I were nervous about even booking a hotel there because of horror stories we had heard from friends staying at other hotels in this city (including some hotels that don't disclose the fact that their very expensive room doesn't include a private bathroom). Also, the exchange rate with the British Pound Sterling is incredibly bad for Americans, with most everything costing almost twice as much as it does in the U.S. Knowing that, I spent about two hours online researching over fifty properties, and ended on the Grange Holborn because of the location, price and the good reviews on this site.

The Grange met or exceeded our expectations on nearly all levels. First off, we got a very good rate due to a Bank Holiday promotion. After I booked, I emailed the hotel asking about transportation options from Heathrow Airport. Within a day I got a very courteous response with detailed information. The hotel is conveniently located near the West End, about two blocks from a Tube station, close to theatres, shops and restaurants; and less than 2 blocks from the British Museum. The building is modern with a nice lobby that includes a lounge/bar area that was pleasant.

The room was very nice and clean, and nicely if stylistically decorated. The bathroom had a fairly large tub and had marble floor and wall tile. The room rate we got included a free breakfast at the hotel restaurant, which we took advantage of for every day of our stay. The food there was fine and the service, while not spectacular, was no worse than at any other restaurant in London. The hotel was quiet as well...I know there were complaints about the noise from other reviewers here, but we didn't experience any noise problems.

One of the coolest amenities of the hotel was the gym in the basement with the large indoor pool. I used the pool every day I was there (it was nice after walking around humid London all day), and was quite impressed with the decor of the pool - lots of marble and glass.

Overall, we were very impressed and will definitely return. London was a great city and this was a reasonably priced and exceptional hotel.

Traveller

by TripAdvisor Member arsenieva

I have a possibility to compare accommodation in London.
I think Holborn Hotel has a rear combination for London : new modern building , clean and big size rooms, good location and good breakfast with good variety.Also I like room's decor - affected a little but very cosy. Infrequent hotel in London could offer a swimming pool !

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member j0nnybarfly

We had an enjoyable stay here - good size rooms, friendly staff, good facilities and a nice restaurant. Hotel is well placed near underground. I would highly recommend this hotel. However, I return from our trip with a nasty stomach infection - cryposporidium - which apparantly is found in swimming pools. This may be a coincidence but we did use the hotel pool.

Comments