Grange Portland

31-32 Bedford Place, London, United Kingdom

More about London

One of the first ever dictionaries!One of the first ever dictionaries!

jo104jo104

Portobello Road MarketPortobello Road Market

Madame TussaudsMadame Tussauds

Openingtimes of shops before Christmas?

by Turska

Are the shops open in end of november at sundays?At Finland they are for christmas-shoppings,but at Germany they weren´t.How about in London?

by graeme83

They will definitely be open. Most will either operate on a 10am-4pm or an 11am-5pm schedule.

by Turska

O.k.Good to knowI´m little early thinking about that allready,but I´m like that ;) We will stay for weekend,so we wont need to think what to do at what day.If they would have been closed,must have gone christmas-shopping at saturday.

by leics

Sunday opening is quite usual all the year round in the UK. Smaller shops less so, but larger shops and supermarkets always.

So you will have no problems doing a bit of Christmas shopping! :-)

by Turska

O.k.Last time we where there from monday to saturday,so no sunday at all.
In Finland only under 400m2 foodshops are allowed to be open all year,other ones at summer and 5 weeks before christmas.But now is going to change and all shops can be open from 10 to 16 and those small shops even 24h!I´m not sure if it´s a good thing.I have my own"shop" and I work alone,I will not keep it open any more hours.But it´s not "a everyday-shop",so it´s little different.

by leics

It's worked out ok here, really,much more than we thoght it would.

As I said, most smaller shops here don't open (a few more may do so in the weeks leading to Christmas), but all larger shops and supermarkets do. It depends on whether the takings make paying wages worthwhile, I suppose.

by Turska

My mother had a foodshop,and then it was only possible to keep open at december (when I was a child),but she was so tired working 7 days a week,(she had one employee but at sunday she would have had to pay doubble for her,so she worked alone then).So I feel sorry for those small shopskeepers.In big shops it´s different,but before the small shops did like to keep open,when big ones were closed,the law was made to save small shops.Some say that this new law will kill those now.
Thank God my shop is"special"-shop,and I hope people don´t think I will keep it open.No-one has asked,and new law is starting at 1st October.I just hope that other shops similar to mine wont keep open either.
I don´t go to shops at sunday usually,but before christmas I do-and at hollidays I do.Even if I´m not so much into shopping,but now we might buy some christmas-gifts. :)

Travel Tips for London

see Central London.This trip I...

by RickL

see Central London.This trip I stayed at the President Hotel in the Bloomsbury area within walking distance of Russell Square tube station. This is Trafalgar Square, Central London made me realize how small Vancouver really is! My city of 2 million will never seem the same! The similarity of our two cities is in the multi-cultural make-up. The difference is we don't have quite as many pubs! Big Ben is in the background.

Trafalgar Square

by CandS

Here are some of the pigeons at Trafalgar Square...

Trafalgar Square is the most famous square in London. In the centre of the square is the 170 foot high Nelson's Column surrounded by statues and fountains.

We didn't spend much time here, we just visited for a minute then headed off to our next favourite Monopoly location... ;)

Londres en dos dias ...

by Carmela71

Podriamos empezar por Picadilly Circus y desde alli pasar por Picadilly Street, donde se encuentra el Museum of Mankind (museo de la humanidad), que es la sección etnográfica del museo Británico.

A la izquierda el Hotel Ritz, que nos deja justo en la misma entrada de Green Park.

Bajamos por Green Park, cruzamos Constitution Hill y llegamos a Buckingham Palace, más conocido por el famoso cambio de la Guardia que por el hecho de ser la residencia de la Reina británica.

Terminada la real visita, nos adentramos en el paseo The Mall, que va a desembocar en Trafalgar Square. Justo en el centro se encuentra la estatua del comandante Nelson. Y los famosos leones....

Aqui vemos la National Gallery, de entrada gratuita, el principal museo de arte londinense y uno de los mejores del mundo en el que destacan obras de Giotto, Leonardo, Velázquez, Turner Renoir o Picasso.

Desde allí bajamos por el White Hall hacia la Abadía de Westminster aunque hay que hacer antes algunas paradas en el camino.

La primera de todas es Downing Street, residencia oficial del primer ministro británico desde 1732. Allí no hay mucho que ver por lo que, después de hacernos la foto con el simpático Tony Blair, seguimos bajando hasta la plaza Parliament Square, en torno a la cual se encuentra el Parlamento, las Cabinet War Rooms y la abadía de Westminster.

Si volvemos hasta Trafalgar Square y cogemos la calle Strand, a la izquierda llegamos a Covent Garden. Se trata de un histórico mercado que, después de mucho tiempo en estado de semirruina, ha asistido a una increíble revitalización en los últimos años. 2 dia

Primero visitar la Catedral de San Pablo y la Torre de Londres con el Tower Bridge, el puente más bonito y pintoresco de la ciudad.

Después de comer en Shakespeare pub nos vamos hacia Hyde Park.

Ahora tenemos varias opsciones, una es quedarse por South Kensington y visitar los 3 museos, el museo de Historia Natural, el museo de la Ciencia, o bien el Victoria and Albert Museum o irnos de tiendas a Harrods.

Pero si vamos mal de tiempo, no podemos irnos de Londres sin haber visitado antes el British Museum, de entrada gratuita.

Y todavia hay mas, pero este itinerario es para dos dias intensivos...

Tipping a pint

by goodfish

As you'll often be unlikely to encounter waitstaff at the pubs (food and drink are both ordered at the bar), tipping isn't customary. If wanting to tip the bartender, ask for "A pint for me and one for yourself" when ordering. They'll add the cost of the extra pint to your bill and keep that amount.

London speak

by Sjalen

All English regions have their way of addressing people and carrying on the conversation ('duck/duckie' to girls in Lincolnshire and 'petal' in Manchester for instance) and in London it's 'love'. Just get used to 'hello love' as a greeting or 'cheers love' as a thanks in shops etc. and don't feel intimidated or annoyed.

Comments