Grange St Pauls Hotel

Expedia.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 21% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about Grange St Pauls Hotel

great veiws-shame about the rest!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member aquasalon

after booking to stay in the grange st pauls as a relaxing weekend break it was a disaster from the start !! on arrival the receptionist was fantastic but everything else was a disaster
the room we had was meant to be a club room unfortunatly there was a foot wide hole in the wall in the bathroom where maybe a tv screen should have been when we adressed the situation with 5 different people absolutly nothing was done about it the hotel was quite busy and we had paid a special rate so presumed that we were given the worst room
at 8pm decided to get ready to go into london to find there was no hot water on ringing reception we were told we could have a free breakfast that didnt really help our night out as it happened the water didnt come back on till around 10 ish so we opted not to go out as it was too late for our dinner appointment .
i must admit the next daty we were moved to "the best room in the hotel" which was actually smaller but had good veiws of st pauls
the only good thing about this hotel was the one receptionist that sorted everything out the next day shame we didnt get your name but thanks ........

Lovely Hotel but still with ongoing work and Teething Troubles

by TripAdvisor Member casaianda

We stayed at the Grange St. Pauls for 4 nights from 22 to 26
September this year having booked it via a well known Hotel Booking Site.

The hotel is a mere 3 minutes walk from the St. Pauls Tube Station and very close to the Cathedral of which there are great views from the roof terrace. A couple of minutes walk brings you to the River and Millenium Bridge.

The Receptionist who checked us in was charming and efficient and we were upgraded to an Executive Room on the 7th floor. On arriving at the floor we had to trundle our luggage over cableing as electrical work was in progress in the area outside the lift doors and along the corridor leading to our room (720).

The room was spacious with a Super-King sized bed and state of the art bathroom - shame the water temperature didn´t match the bathroom decor! There was a 32 inch Plasma screen TV opposite the bed and rather limited storage space - one of the two wardrobes was taken up with an ironong board and Tea + Coffee making facilities; the second, usable wardrobe only had 8 clothes hangers which seemed a little stingy. There was a free wall safe. The decor was very attractive but, for a new hotel not yet fully completeld, furnishings already looked worn with the dressing table scuffed and the curtains hanging off the track; when we informed Recption about the curtains somone was sent up within a couple of hours but only one side was corrected! The room was spotlessly clean and there was evening service as well as the daytime main clean if required. As mentioned in a previous review, there was no openable window and the room temperature control was haphazard and noisy so needed turning off at night to be able to sleep - OK in late September but could be very stuffy in hot weather. The room has a stunning view of St. Pauls Cathedral and had nice little touches such as Dressing Gowns, slippers and good quality Toiletries that were replenished daily. A newspaper was delivered each morning but there was no choice of paper.

We didn´t eat at the hotel as Breakfast as very expensive but there was an excellent Artisan Bakers - DeGustiBus - next door where you could have a good cooked English Breakfast with a great choice of Breads (try the Onion Rye - mmmmmmmmm) for under Five Pounds. There was also a good choice of local restaurants for nighttime dining. We did have Coffee in the Bar that cost 7 Pounds for 2 Cups - no Pots available - and 2 Biscuits.

Staff were generally extremely helpful and polite - apart from one who made us feel very uncomfortable on 2 occasions; once when we requested Internet use and were told rudely that this was for hotel guests only - we were! - and once when the lifts went out of service following a fire alarm and we asked how long before they would be back in use as my Husband has poor health and cannot walk up 7 flights of stairs when she just shrugged and seemed totally uninterested.

Although there is free WiFi access in all rooms - we didn´t take our Laptop - there are no terminals in the hotel apart from one in room 336 that we were eventually allowed to use. This was the only standard room we saw and it was tiny, dark and just looked on to a brick wall opposite - we wouldn´t have been happy staying in there.

There is still considerable on-going work inside the hotel and in the adjoining building - we were told that this had just been increased to complete in time for a Christmas deadline - and the Spa facility is not yet in service. Building work wasn´t intrusive and workmen pleasant and chatty when you came across them. The hotel currently only has 2 lifts in service which was difficult at busy times such as morning checkout when the delay was several minutes.

All in all we had a very enjoyable stay at the Grange St Pauls. It is essentially a business hotel but a good base for a few days city sightseeing. Stunning architecturally in an ultra-modern style it perhaps lacks a little character and was, in our opinion, a good 4 star rather than 5 star establishment. We would be very happy to stay there again whilst rooms are at a reasonable rate but would probably look elsewhere if having to pay the rack rate.

great hotel at unbelievable introductory price

by TripAdvisor Member littlemissT13

we needed a room for just one night after we checked out of the horrid Crowne Plaza Kensington. we found the Grange St Paul's at the unbelievable price of GBP90. The hotel is just two months' old and this was an introductory offer. It was well worth more. Rooms are spacious and lovely. Service was good for the most part except at the end, when we were trying to check out and found that they had not added the room service we had ordered the night before. we waited 10mins and told them to just charge it to our card cos we were rushing for the train to liverpool. other than that, hotel was great. if the offer remains, grab it.

Disappointing - and terrible if you have vertigo

by TripAdvisor Member BelfastAussie_9

Having read other reviews of the Grange St Paul's I had high expectations. Sadly, they weren't met.

On the positive side, the rooms look great (at first glance) and the toiletries are wonderful - Molton Brown, and plenty of it. The staff are, for the most part, friendly. And the location is excellent - easy to get to from Gatwick (although the hotel maps don't point out the City Thameslink station two minutes away and the receptionist didn't know about that station!), close to the tube and on a number of bus routes. If you are in London on business it's a great area, close to the Courts and to the City. And there is free wifi.

But that is about all the hotel has going for it. It is soul-less, and while some people might forgive the many niggles as "teething problems" of a new hotel, I wasn't impressed.

I stayed for two nights with my husband on a mixture of business and pleasure. I needed to be contactable for a major work project, but unfortunately there was no O2 mobile phone signal whatsoever. I rang reception to ask if there was anywhere in the hotel that would have a signal and was told "No." No apology. In the end I had to use the hotel phone at vast expense. There was no information in our room about telephone rates or other rates either. In fact, there was limited information on any aspect of the hotel. The free wifi was a saviour, but it was frustrating that I didn't have anyway of contacting people who might have been trying to reach my mobile and had to keep leaving the hotel to check my messages.

I'd read the other reviews so hadn't expected the pool/fitness suite to be open, so was pleasantly surprised to see signage and in our room a picture of a rather lovely pool. When my husband called down to find out where the pool was, he was told it was 15 minutes away at another hotel! I didn't mind that there was no pool, but wasn't pleased with the false advertising.

We had the same difficulties as some of the other reviewers with the room temperature on our first day. The room was hot, it was impossible to turn the heat down and the fan was very loud. My husband didn't sleep at all due to the heat and noise, and after we had showered the next day the room was muggy. This was rectified while we were out.

The showers are very stylish, and spout water from two levels on the side as well as having a generous shower head above. Unfortunately, the controls were so tight that it hurt my hands to turn them on. Once they were on, we had no problems with the water temperature with plenty of hot water. I'm a big Molton Brown fan, so enjoyed the products. They might have been a bit girly for my husband though!

Some people would probably love the modern design of the hotel, but I found it lacked character. The guest rooms are built around a large atrium. It may be better to have a room looking out, but our room faced into the atrium, which I found claustrophobic. You look straight across into the rooms opposite and if there is a light on, can see into the room. I have vertigo and a fear of heights, but the lifts are glass and to reach them you have to walk over a frosted glass walkway. This meant I felt nauseous and dizzy every time I had to go to or from our room, and for that reason alone I will never stay in that hotel again.

Other niggles include:
The big flat screen tv is great - but it is fixed and can't be angled so that you can only watch it if you are sitting on the sofa.
Housekeeping wasn't great - the bed was badly made, cushions were thrown onto the sofa instead of being replaced on the bed and coffee and milk weren't replenished.
While the rooms are new, they already look a bit tatty with about half the lights in our bathroom either flickering or not working at all, there's flaking paint and some wires hanging out
The rooms are dim, and badly lit
There was a sort of odd noise similar to a tannoy turning on from time to time which woke us up in the night
The safe is too high to be easily reached by someone of my height (5'2") and I had to rely on my husband to use it!

I don't like to write such a negative review, but there were so many things that made our stay difficult rather than enjoyable that it would be disingenous to write anything else.

1st Class Hotel ....1st Class Service!!

by TripAdvisor Member fizzicalfan

I stayed with my daughter for the weekend as a treat for her birthday and booked a West End Show. I booked the hotel through a well known late deal web site and didnt know what I was getting until after it was all paid for but boy what a deal!!....this hotel is stunning and is situated just outside St Pauls and is obviously brand new 'cos you can still smell the newness of it!!! Location of the hotel is great for getting around London close by to the West End, Convent Garden etc. From booking in, which was handled by very friendly and helpful staff ...to all the staff that worked there....and the manager well what can I say....everyone always had a smile on their face always so polite and couldnt do enough for us from booking taxis to sorting out trips and excursions for us nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are beautifully decorated and furnished to the highest standard and are so generous in size... the bathroom is beautiful and after aching feet at the end of the day that shower was amazing! It had a well stocked mini bar (pricey !) and well stocked tea/coffee making facilities with biscuits!! The bed was THE best and biggest double bed I have ever slept in and really was the best nights sleep both me and my daughter have everhad!! Beautiful views too !! I cannot praise this hotel enough or recommend it enough to absolutely anyone wishing to stay in affordable, stylish hotel with amazing staff. The hotel and the staff made our weekend extra special and I for one will be back again next year without any hesitation. 1st class Hotel and 1st class staff.

we will be back

by TripAdvisor Member us2Lincs

after nights of surfing through hotel sites looking for a bargain we visited the grange site
expecting the same outcome but then noticed their new hotel at reasonable price (£97 inc vat with breakfast )and booked it . what a result ! the hotel is situated a 3 min walk from st pauls tube station on the central line just across the road from the front of the cathedral . the staff on reception could not have been more helpful and the hotel itself is beautiful . we were given an early check in and a complimentary room upgrade . a premier inn in the city would have cost us £85 with no breakfast so this really was a no brainer ! the whole place is spotlessly clean from top to bottom and and tastefully decorated . we cant wait to get back !

Wont be going back in a hurry

by TripAdvisor Member MrBoco

Good points were...Clean, spacious and reception/staff very helpful. Moving onto the bad points i experienced...No hot water in bath or shower, paid for double bed receieved two singles pushed together, noisey builders half 8 on saturday morning tapping and drilling away. Overall as its classified as a 5star hotel and cant manage with basic facilities i.e hot water i wouldnt recommend relying on this hotel.

Fabulous room, location, everything

by TripAdvisor Member katie1000000

Stayed at this hotel with a friend. Booked a twin room and we were hugely pleased to see 2 double beds so enjoyed not having to be cramped into 2 singles. The room overlooked an atrium, however there could have been anything going on - we couldn't hear a thing so no problem with noise disturbance. Good blackout curtains made sure that sleep was easy!
The room was lovely and clean and the tea & coffee were topped up when the room was checked in the evening. We had a few drinks in the bar and it was great to not feel as we had been mugged when the bill came - perfectly reasonable prices!
One top tip to note is that the mobile reception (orange & vodafone - not sure about the others) is virtually non-existant in the room that we were in (not sure if that is a more widespread problem) and we didn't take our phone chargers. As a result of this the phones were constantly searching for network coverage and the phones went flat overnight.... so take the chargers or turn the phones off in the room. As a consequence, my friend & I lost each other the next day and we ended up going our separate ways without saying tara to each other! Isn't it amazing how reliant we are of our mobiles and how you miss them when you can't use them!
Aside from that we had a fabulous time and would thoroughly recommend. We didn't eat at the hotel, but there are plenty of places very nearby.

Lovely hotel, friendly staff but not much atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member DubSunWorshiper

Just back from a long w/end in St Paul's. When we were arrived we were greeted with very friendly door staff, as we walked to reception another member of staff greeted us with a smile and when we got to the desk the receptionist all had huge smiles on their faces, very welcoming place. While we were checking in we were upgraded to a suite much to our delight. Our room was on the 5th floor, gorgeous, Molton Brown complimentary products went down a treat, bathrobes and slippers, huge bed, plasma TV. The only fault with the room was that there was no window we could open, the first night we felt very claustrophobic but we adjusted after that. We had said no to our credit cards being swiped at reception on check in for the use of the mini bar, during the night we needed water and rang down to reception to get our bar unlocked, unfortunately for it to be unlocked we needed to pay a £150 deposit for it unless you swipe your card. Ahh well. Staff are extremely friendly and helpful, food was nice if abit cold at times. The hotel has a lovely rooftop area that over looks the city and St Paul's which is literally 50 steps away. We probably wont return next time and its just due to the fact that we spent most of our time in Leicester Sq and Soho. BUT it is an amazing hotel and its finished to a high standard. Not much atmosphere in its bar though. I would recommend it more for buisness than pleasure.

Brilliant

by TripAdvisor Member daylulu7

We stayed at this hotel after booking with Last Minute as a top secret hotel. It was wonderful if you like a modern hotel. If you are looking for something with charm and history DO NOT stay here. My mum and me stayed here whilst having a girly weekend and it was spot on.
Check in was speedy and friendly.
Room was lovely, floor to ceiling window, massive bed and the shower in the bathroom - WOW.

Overall i would def stay here again, £89 for a hotel of this quality in central London cant be sniffed at. The only thing i would say is Last Minute descibe this hotel as right next to the tube station and unless i was being dim and didnt find another entrance it wasn't right next door at all, it was about 5 minutes walk - not a big issue but worth noting if you have mobility problems.

Any questions you have then feel free to ask.

Comments