Grange Strathmore

Satisfaction Average

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

My First Solo Trip to London - Home away from home

I must admit to conflicted feelings about this hotel. It was my first try at solo travel; a long weekend in London. Thanksgiving away from family, shopping, cold, the chance to lose myself in a big city. There's something about the anonimity that a huge city provides a solo travel. You can be alone and not alone at the same time.

The Grange Strathmore is in the perfect neighborhood. It used to be the private residence of the Earl of Strathmore and in the common rooms you can feel the ghosts of the past. From the outside, it looks beautiful, as do all of the other Hotels in the neighborhood. It's what these hotels do with their insides that make the difference.

The "bones" of the structure feel a little rickety, but that's not uncommon in old London Hotels. The furniture in the lounge was "period" and not awfully comfortable. My room however was very comfy. I had a double bed, soft and comfortable by European standards. The bathroom was perfect for me, newly remodeled with a fantastic shower (a big win for me). The furnishings were elegant and nice. But the room was tiny and I barked my shin on one thing or another repeatedly. And the street noise was also evident, all night long.

I've read reviews panning the staff. International young people tried hard and I had no complaints. I had room service twice and was very pleased with my BLT and crisps for Thanksgiving dinner. (It seemed deliciously rebellious from the huge family feast)

But all in all, I think that the Strathmore consistently charges more than it's value in the neighborhood. I discovered two hotel bars I liked much better in the neighborhood.

Unique Quality: The location is great. This remains for me the perfect London neighborhood to stay in. The Glouchester Tube stop is a block and a half away and provides the perfect transit choice to get anywhere. Cabs can be caught half a block away on Cromwell.

Directions: Corner of Cromwell and Queen's Gate Gardens. One block off Glouchester.

Comments