Gresham Hotel Bloomsbury

Booking.com budgetplaces.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Terrible

• SangAji's Profile Photo

Hotel next to British Museum

did not stay here, walked past hotel after visit to British museum which is just round the corner to hotel.

Unique Quality: located opposite Bedford square, lots of greenery

nearby restaurants, lots to choose from.

• It's cheap and central but not recommended

I got here very late (24hour reception) and left early. I only stayed here because I was in London for the evening and didn't want to have to rush away to catch the last train (or miss it and be stranded!). So I booked the Gresham in Bloomsbury.

Before booking I had read all the reviews so I knew it wasn't going to be good - and it wasn't. But on the positive side, the bed was clean and comfortable, there was hot water in my room and they had provided a towel and soap and the TV worked. I didn't try the shared facilities but I had a look at them, the shower looked clean at 6am - (don't know what it would be like later after several guests had used it). There were two loos on my floor, one was in complete darkness and had a hole in the ceiling where the light used to be. The other was perfectly adequate.

My room was small but very very hot and although I was able to turn down the heating, I couldn't turn it off completely. My window looked out onto the street and the noise from the traffic was awful when I opened it in the morning. The decor was shabby and the whole place needs complete modernisation.

Breakfast was included in the price and was ok - a cooked breakfast - eggs scrambled or fried, bacon and sausage. I just had the scrambled eggs and toast - it was ok. There was cereal and fruit juice available too.

The most worrying thing about this hotel was the door locks - they don't. Unless I was doing something really stupid (which is entirely possible) I just couldn't work out how to lock the door - I had read in the hotel reviews that other people had had this problem too so I wasn't entirely surprised. Of course it meant that I wasn't able to leave anything in the room and this is the main reason why I wouldn't stay here again.

Unique Quality: The unique thing about this hotel is that it's in Bloomsbury and you would expect to pay a lot more for a hotel room in this area.

I have indicated that I was somewhat unsatisfied with this hotel - a hotel with doors that don't lock is can never be satisfactory. Check your key/lock works as soon as you arrive.

Directions: Bloomsbury, near Bedford Square and just round the corner from the British Museum

More about Gresham Hotel Bloomsbury

Bloomsbury hotels

by LauraWest

Has anyone stayed at Gresham Hotel Bloomsbury or the Arran House Hotel? Or know about them? I searched to find member comments on these 2, but came up empty.

RE: Bloomsbury hotels

by robine

Sorry, don't know them, but have you tried www.tripadvisor.com?

RE: RE: Bloomsbury hotels

by LauraWest

thanks, Robin. I forgot about that site. I found many positive reviews of Arran! and real bad ones on G.H.B.; now I better hurry to reserve, before forum readers take my Arran Room!! Viewed your site, briefly. Love Indian food, too, as well as all Asian. Being a vegetarian, I gravitate towards those clever-w/o-meat cuisines.

Comments