Gresham Hyde Park

Costs 55% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Gresham Hyde Park

Very good experience

by TripAdvisor Member sarah224

We stayed at the Gresham Hyde Park (it had just changed to the Park Inn Hyde Park) for 4 nights in early July, 2005. We were very pleased. We had a special deal through British Airways Holidays, in which we purchased 4 nights but paid for only 2. We received a friendly greeting from the desk staff when we arrived in the early afternoon, and our room was immediately available to us. While the room was small by U.S. standards, it was perfectly serviceable and well-maintained, and the bathroom - including a tub and shower combination - was found and kept very clean. Water pressure and temperature were never an issue. The noise from nearby rooms reported by other reviewers on this site was not a problem for us. The room air conditioning was very efficient, but we chose instead to have the large window open, given the cool temperatures while we were there. The in-room safe was very handy for securing our passports and other valuables. Our room was on the front of the building, 3rd floor, but we did not find street noise troublesome. The continental breakfast that was included was repetitive, but perfectly tasty, generous, and varied enough to provide a good start to a full day of sight-seeing. The front desk staff were very helpful in assisting us in arranging an Evan Evans day trip, for which we were picked up at the hotel. This hotel was also convenient to the Lancaster Gate tube station.

We would stay here again without hesitation.

The Hyde Park Ryan Hotel

by Rhondaj about The Charles Dickens Hotel

When I was there it was called The Charles Dickens. Just found out about the name change while researching London hotels. It's the only hotel I've stayed in so I have no comparison! That said, it was on a quiet street, yet near major attractions, (Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace, to name a few),close to a tube station,(Lancaster Gate). The staff was courteous, the bar/lobby a fun place to hang out, and the price was moderate.

Location is the Key

by TripAdvisor Member Fifer9

Small room for sure but clean and perfectly acceptable for the 65 pounds I paid. In a central and safe area with 2 Central line tube stations within 5 minute walk and the Circle and District tube station no more than a couple of minutes further. If you're arriving from Heathrow off the express to Paddington, also very good as about 10 minutes on foot.
If you manage to get a bargain rate then go for it, but don't pay too much - there are better places to be had for 85 pounds plus.

good value

by TripAdvisor Member hesterp

I stayed at the Gresham for 6 nights. The rooms/bathrooms are very small, but clean and well-taken care of. Nice lounge/bar/restaurant. Breakfast comes with the room, nothing fancy, but good value. Fruit, cereal, yogurt, juice, etc. Well located, near 2 tube stops, several restaurants/pubs in the area. A block from Hyde Park.

Paper-thin walls in a convenient location

by TripAdvisor Member SeattleRedBear

Just to support others comments. We were on the first-floor with windows right next to the Union Jack you see displayed in the pictures of the hotel's facade. Between street noise and paper-thin walls, it not a quiet retreat. Room was smaller then other London hotels I've stayed in and the layout of the room was fairly inconvenient (no closet near the door...instead you have to negotiate past the beds and desk to get to the armoire in the far corner). Pleasent older-style furnishings in the room and comfortable bathroom but very little storage space (desk drawers were taken up with teatray and mini-bar and no drawer space in armoire).

Spacious and pleasant lobby. Breakfast was adequate (but I've had better). Pleasant and relatively organized staff. Can't comment on value as we stayed here as part of a BA promotion.

Just Adequate.

This hotel is close to Hyde Park and tube stations, but there are very few restaurants & cafes around the area so you have to plan on eating elsewhere or stick to the limited choices in dining. Rooms are tiny and non-descript. Ours faced the center of the hotel -a dark and gloomy-looking view. Staff was indifferent for the most part. Overall, pretty average.

Great hotel, great location!

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in conjunction with a BA promotion. The location is terrific! A quiet street very close to Hyde Park and 2 convenient metro stations to choose from only a few blocks away! Our room was very clean and the perfect size. Hotel staff was friendly and breakfast was good. No complaints whatsoever. I was weary of the noise level since I had read so many of the reviews on this site, but we had no problems. It was very quiet at night.

A Good Spot!

I stayed at the Gresham in January 2005 for 12 days and quite frankly I think at least one of your reviewers, who was also there during January must have stayed somewhere else. granted the rooms are compact, but the quality of the furnishiings and the overall cleanliness of the hotel generally, the friendliness of the staff and the the quality of the meals I thought to be excellent. and I have no complaints. In fact I booked a dozen of my colleagues who were on a study trip for 3 weeks in London in April 2005 into the Gresham for that period, and their comments have also been most favourable, and finally I am returning to the Gresham for another 12 days with a friend in September. It is comfortable, close to all facilities, bus train etc and near to the centre of London.

Ecellent location and Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Gomac

Recently purchased by Rezidor SAS, it has been spruced up. The rooms are clean and well maintained. The front desk staff is very helpful and pleasant. The only noise you can hear is from the hallway, otherwise it is quiet. The continental breakfast is quite adequate, although the wait staff is a bit brusk. The shower is strong and hot and the room heater works just fine. The tube stop is a few blocks away. And just around the corner on Craven Terrace and Craven Road are several excellent restaurants...Italian, Tandoori, Chinese, sandwich shops and a good grocery store. Altogether an excellent value for the money.

Average 3 Star

by TripAdvisor Member Dalight

This was our 4th visit to London. We found the Park Inn satisfactory as a 3 star hotel, but it fell far below our expectations for a 4 star hotel (as compared to other 4 star London hotels).

Rooms: The rooms are small, even by London's standard. We had the chance to see 4 rooms and the bedrooms averaged 10ft-by-12ft. The first floor bedrooms are pretty: cream walls, blue carpets and blue patterned draperies, soaring ceilings. The rooms have excellent lighting. There are no closets, just a large armoire in the bedroom (1 1/2 ft x 3 ft) making the room even smaller. The rooms have a wall mounted ironing board and a tea service. The bathroom was modern and clean. Our first floor room was quiet, we did not hear other guests or street noise. What was lacking: the bed linen and blankets showed signs of wear and the quality was substandard (for a 4 star or above average 3 star hotel). No place in the room to store luggage. Bathroom toiletries are minimal. No hotel directories (either written or online), no clock radios and no newspapers either in the room or lobby, no automated billing and checkout feature on the tv.
There are renovated and unrenovated rooms in the hotel. We saw one of the unrenovated rooms on the 6th floor and the furnishings, carpet and draperies were worn, mismatched and depressing.
In short, because of the room size and lack of amenities we did not find the room comfortable or inviting for a stay longer than a couple of nights.

Staff: Desk staff are pleasant but expect delays. From Friday to Monday there was no concierge on duty - inquiries/needs were handled by the front desk reception. Note: The hotel will only cash up to 50 pound traveller cheques at a time.

Dining room: Very basic continental breakfast. Staff was pleasant, but half the time we had to wait for seating and by the end of our stay we gave up waiting for coffee or service.

Location: Well situated. Central tourist area with two tube stops within three blocks (Lancaster Gate, Bayswater). There is a strip of budget and moderate priced restaurants on the Queensway, 3 blocks away from the hotel. The hotel is a short bus ride (10 minutes) from Picadilly or Bond Street.

In short, if you are looking for a three star hotel or a place to stay for a couple of nights the Park Inn is satisfactory.

Hyde Park Inn - not among my favourite placesHyde Park Inn - not among my favourite places

Hostels

by Marpessa

Which hostels can anyone recommend in London (coming in August). I'll be coming in through Heathrow and then catching the express to Paddington station - so something in that area (W2?) would be good.

Thanks to anybody that can help!

Cassie

(Was thinking of the Hyde Park Inn on Inverness Tce, Bayswater - but just read some reviews - so I'm rethinking it.)

Re: Hostels

by Kettleman

check out www.yha.org.uk and you don't need to be qa yoof to use them. Not cheap in Central London but clean and safe. Have dorms and smaller rooms with "facilities"

Re: Hostels

by Kettleman

check out www.yha.org.uk and you don't need to be a yoof to use them. Not cheap in Central London but clean and safe. Have dorms and smaller rooms with "facilities"

Good Fun Youth Hostels in London!

by Seradoms

On my way back from India, I have decided to take 5 nights in London before heading home to Canada. I will arrive December 17 and depart Dec. 22, 2005. I was looking at youth hostels for the 5 night stay and found some very reasonable prices. For example: The Hyde Park Inn, The London House in Kensington, and the Dover Castle Hostel. The problem is: since I've never been there, I dont know if these places are dumps / fun etc. Has anyone stayed in a youth hostel that they absolutly loved, or even, stayed in any of the ones listed above and have reviews?

Lastly, Im 21, travelling solo and looking for a fun 4 days in London. Any advice?

Thanks so much guys!

RE: Good Fun Youth Hostels in London!

by Anthro

try www.hostellondon.com

They have user ratings and show a variety of places for your specific days. I used that site when I went in March.

RE: RE: Good Fun Youth Hostels in London!

by planxty

Hi Sarah,

Obviously as I live in London, I don't stay in hostels, but I've heard good things about the Generator and the St. Christophers chain. the Generator is a right party place, with a late night bar / club, and the St. christopher ones are all attached to bars, I know the one in Camden certainly has night time activities. Here are the links

Hope this helps, and have a good time in London.

RE: RE: Good Fun Youth Hostels in London!

by cachaseiro

i have stayed at the dover castle.
it's very cheap for london standrads, but not that well located.
it's mostly full of long term people who work in london.

there is a chain of hostels called astor hostels.
they have hostels scatterd around london and they are usually very nice with good social life.

Budget hotel or inn

by yin

My friend will go to London for a business trip at the end of this August, she would like to stay at budget hotel(single room), i check the following for her and do they have homepage for me to contact ?
1. Smart Hyde Park Inn
2. Carr Saunders Residence
besides, are they good in location and quality ?
thanks for any help.

yin

by joesorce

Check out BritanniaCourtHotel.co.uk

www.thegloucesterhotel.com

www.starcrown.com/blakemore.html

thanks Joe
but they are over budget for my friend, she want to find a single room under 35 dollars per night.

by adaywayne

I think she is going to find tht impossible unless she uses a hostel of some kind. Even then £18 is going to be difficult to find.
Arnie

sorry, i mean £35 per night

by doofus

try www.travelodge.co.uk.

For certain nights during August at some of their hotels in London they have deals for £26 a night. These are NOT dives but good,clean and comfortable accomodation. best of luck, Peter

by BluBluBlu

Why not try 'Easy Hotel'...just opened...basic...but cheap!

by film

Carr Saunders is, I believe, a student residence. During the summer they rent to tourists. It is very central, very close to the BT Tower off Tottenham Court Rd. There is a lot of university accomodation like this and it is usually a bit cheapers than budget hotels. Though you often have to stay a week minimum.

Comments