Hand and Flower Hotel

More about London

La Roche CafeLa Roche Cafe

Answer 19 [2]Answer 19 [2]

Opening plaque from 2006Opening plaque from 2006

Fish and Chips!Fish and Chips!

foot doctor--please!

by ruthanna09

I just hiked the trails in California--several hundred miles..
will be in London in late August...would like to consult a podiatrist
re sore toes... unusual request, but could someone recommend a
good podiatrist, centrally located...would like to work this in to
my London stay somehow.... Thanks.
Rutherford

Re: foot doctor--please!

by qaminari

But unless you are from London (and if you were I don't think you would request a "podiatrist", why would you wait 4 weeks? I would strongly recommend you go to see a specialist where you are.
However, if you must, see http://www.foot-clinic.co.uk/index.php?LinkID=27 (Marylebone address is the most central).

Re: foot doctor--please!

by jumpingnorman

Too bad you're not in Arizona since I have many podiatry friends here.. but in the meantime, look at http://www.podiatrists.org/ for the nearest podiatrist near you...and rest those toes and get good shoes that proviode a lot of cushion and wide enough for the toes to move freely...if you're heels are also hurting, try those insoles or shoes with thick soles (like the $140 New Balance 993 which is so good for those with plantar fascitis)...soaking and masagging the feet at night may also help. The key is not to add anymore damage to your feet before you hit London....as a matter of fact, I will be in London last week of August...VT MEET? Norman :)

Re: foot doctor--please! Thanks (ranger 49, gaminari, and jumpingnorman...)

by ruthanna09

Many thanks for the (oh, so British, common sense replies)..
Of course, I am taking care of my sore toes before departure, but it's
a matter of wanting a second opinion. Michael Moore's film "Sicko"--(about
the American health care system) is still on my mind. His film/documentary
does show examples from other countries of health care systems that work
better than US system,, including a fascinating episode in London...I know that podiatry would probably be private and separate, but anyway, did want to check
out a podiatrist in London, while there...(a bit like "Medical Tourism",
(although primary reason for travel to London is to see the sights).
Thanks, Rutherford.

Re: foot doctor--please! (good info: thanks)

Ranger:
Thanks for the info. I'd best consult an established Medical
Tourism bureau here in US upon return,...and exploit all my foot products to the
utmost while in the UK. I may even carry a collapsible cane, (which
I will greatly dislike)...but health must trump vanity. I know that
Winston Churchill refused to allow photos using a cane. ...(from a
PBS documentary).

Rutherford

Travel Tips for London

Watch as many plays and...

by syllybabe

Watch as many plays and musicals as you can! Overlooking Covent Garden there is a restaurant on the terrace called Chez Gerard. The food is excellent and it's a great place to hang out after a show. Drinks outside in the heated terrace during the winter is a must!

London Tip

by kochamanita

I can't believe I lucked out the way I did! I just planned to go from June 16 to 22, after I was done studying in Poland. I had no idea it was during the annual opening session of Parliament! I wsa just in my hotel room one morning, watching TV, when they were talking about the ceremony. I was like, 'TODAY?! REALLY?! Jesus Christ, I've got to get out there!!!' So I got on The Tube and made it about 15 minutes before the royal procession came down the street next to parliament. I saw the Queen and got a picture of her, and I saw Prince William in an open carriage. I can't believe how lucky I was. This is a picture of the Royal Standard being lowered in favor of the Union Jack, signifying Parliament's session has begun.

The Houses of Parliament are...

by piersend

The Houses of Parliament are spectacular, especially if you catch the tube to Westminster then emerge with St. Peters Tower (Big Ben) straight overhead. Getting around London is great for Tourists, (not in the rush hourr) the tube is still a good service which can take you to all parts of the City. To many to mention, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall and Horseguards Parade are great (but very busy), but within a short distance is the relative peace and quiet of Green Park and Hyde Park. Check out one of the many good pubs in London, the Good Pub Guide is a very reliable source.

www.thegoodpubguide.com

Stand on the Right on Escalators!

by Kathypinnage

You've probably read this in the london travel books but it seriously annoys Londoners when people don't stand on the right on escalators! Everyone's in a hurry and they need to get past on the tube escalators, so if you don't want to walk up or down, stand on the right instead. I got shouted at when I was first in London and it wasn't pleasant!

Slang - Londoners also use a...

by joecooper

Slang - Londoners also use a lot of slang words, known as 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' or 'Cockney rhyming slang' which even other English people do not understand, so don't worry if you get lost when talking to them! For example 'apples' means stairs. Why? 'Apples and pears' rhymes with 'stairs'! The 'and pears' part is left out to disguise the meaning further! Crazy. There is actually an online English to Cockney / Cockney to English dictionary at : Cockney Rhyming Slang If you ever feel like wandering into one of the local pubs(pictured), especially in the East End, you may find this a valuable resource!

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO TAKE A LOOK AT MY UNITED KINGDOM PAGE TOO!!

Comments