Harlingford Hotel

in London
Poor (1.5 out of 5.0) 5 reviews

Tags

Business Travel

No Wifi - Do not book for business trip.

by written on June 12, 2014

I stayed here this week to take my final university exams at LSE, I presumed there would be wifi so I could get my work done for the week. I went down to reception to let them know I was struggling to get a connection; to which a lady on reception called Liga bluntly said that wifi is only advertised as "complimentary". For £88 a night I expect a hotel with basic wifi - not good enough, and the poor attitude and service amplified this.

Only positive was friendly kitchen staff and a nice breakfast in the morning - but if you're travelling on business and planning on doing work, I certainly wouldn't recommend this place. Nor interacting with Liga.

No Wifi - Do not book if you need to do work.

by written on June 12, 2014

by written on October 31, 2013

We have stayed at the Harlingford on numerous occasions in the past when travelling to London from New Zealand and have always considered the hotel to be reasonable value and a great location.
Because of this, we have chosen to overlook the lumpy hard beds, the noisiness at night from the student accommodation and pub close by and the service performance of the manager, known as ‘Andrew’, which has always been very poor, indifferent or downright rude.
We recently booked several nights for our next visit to London in 9 months time and we have always, as per the hotel’s terms and conditions paid in full, in advance at the time of check in.
We were very surprised when the hotel, without our knowledge or approval charged 50% of our room rate as a non-refundable deposit to our credit card.
When this was queried with the hotel, we got an arrogant, patronising and unprofessional response along with the hotel cancelling our booking.
We are very disappointed that the hotel thinks so little of our regular, loyal patronage that they would treat us like this.
‘Andrew’ in responses to other multiple customer complaints on other sites has adopted an attitude of aggression or suggestions of impropriety or fraud against people complaining about the hotel’s performance.
I am sure he will respond in kind to this complaint, however, should anyone wishing to view the full content of the email communications between the hotel and ourselves, please contact me via email at joy.gary.browne@xtra.co.nz and I will be happy to oblige.
There are other superior hotels nearby at a similar price with management who believe in friendliness and service as a requisite to managing a good hotel business – I strongly recommend you use them.

by written on October 31, 2013

BEWARE BEFORE YOU BOOK

We have stayed at the Harlingford on numerous occasions in the past when travelling to London from New Zealand, and have always considered the hotel to be reasonable value and a great location.
Because of this, we have chosen to overlook the lumpy hard beds, the noisiness at night from the student accommodation and pub close by, and the service performance of the manager, known as ‘Andrew’, which has always been very poor, indifferent or downright rude.
We recently booked several nights for our next visit to London in 9 months time and we have always, as per the hotel’s terms and conditions, paid in full, in advance at the time of check in.
We were very surprised when the hotel, without our knowledge or approval, charged 50% of our room rate as a non-refundable deposit to our credit card.
When this was queried with the hotel, we got an arrogant, patronizing, and unprofessional response along with the hotel cancelling our booking.
We are very disappointed that the hotel thinks so little of our regular and loyal patronage that they would treat us like this.

JulesH's Profile Photo

London's best budget hotel?

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 14, 2007

This is where I book clients in who need somewhere reasonably priced, homely but respectable in the Bloomsbury area. It is certainly possible to find a whole raft of budget hotels in Bloomsbury, but as we all know, you get what you pay for in many cases, and the service in these hotels can often fall way short of being called "acceptable". However, the Harlingford is very reasonably priced, yet provides an "above average" standard of service. Breakfast and VAT are included in the price qoted and the prices are fixed throughout the year. £99 per night for a double/twin room, £79 for a single. You can also get triple or quad rooms too. The only downside is that there is no lift, so the stair-phobic among you may want to request lower floors. There are easy access rooms available if required subject to availability.

Unique Quality: Not found on many budget hotel search websites, this hotel usually gets it's trade from repeat bookings and word of mouth recommendations. From the outside it is difficult to tell it apart from the other B&Bs in the area, but this hotel has a family feel to it which is often missing in the other budget hotels in the area. Guests are also entitled to use the tennis courts in the gardens opposite. Recommended.

Directions: From Russell Square tube you cross the road and walk down Marchmont Street keeping to the left hand side of the road. You will come across a crescent called Cartright Gardens and the Harlingford is located here.

jacobm101 Jun 12, 2014 at 6:49 AM

NO WIFI - Do not book if planning on doing work overnight.

• jacobm101 Jun 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I can't help but feel you've missed my point entirely, but I'm happy to address:

With reference to assumptions - I completely agree with you with regards to whole of Europe, though having lived in London for 5 years and in England my entire life, I would like to think that arguably the most developed economy in Western Europe has decent internet connectivity across the country. I personally have never stayed in any hotel in the UK, regardless of how remote, that hasn't offered some form of wifi. This is where my expectations stemmed from when I saw as advertised that wifi access was available throughout the hotel - not too naive I hope you'll grant.

But this is not my issue - I completely understand that often places have problems with internet service providers and this is no fault of any establishment, but just a technical fault that occurs from time to time, thats fine. However, I politely came downstairs with my computer and said to the receptionist I can't seem to get a connection please can you help me, and to be met with a blunt response of "well we do only advertise it as a complementary service so..." Displays what I hope you'll agree is a terrible attitude from the off, and no compassion or even an apology which I expected at the very least, having explained that I also had my final university exams the next day.

My aim in writing up my complaint above was to bring it to the attention of anyone who is looking for a hotel in the hope of doing work overnight; this is not the place to go, as there is no internet, and much worse the staff won't help you as "you shouldn't have expected there to be internet in the first place."

However I shall take your advice on board, and question my assumptions next time I travel - I may even pack an extra towel or shampoo so that I'm not swindled on those compliments either. Ha.

• leics's Profile Photo
    leics Jun 12, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Always best to be prepared for all eventualities, I find. :-)

Nearby Harlingford Hotel

Harlingford Hotel

• Harlingford Hotel London

Address: 61-63 Cartwright Gardens, Bloomsbury, London, WC1H 9EL, United Kingdom

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Buckingham Palace
Trafalgar Square
Piccadilly
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Taxis
Department stores
Driving in London
Souvenirs
Shopping
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Train / Bus Stations
The Thames
Architectural
Money Matters
Warnings and Dangers
Public Transport (not taxis)
Parks and Gardens
Galileo's Locanda Toscana
Gojo, Notting Hill
Micky's Fish Bar, Paddington
Restaurants
Theatre and Shows (including tickets)
Piccadilly