1 Suffolk Place, London, SW1Y 4BP, United Kingdom
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about London

"Gherkin", London, UK."Gherkin", London, UK.

Helmet Dredged from ThamesHelmet Dredged from Thames

Tower bridge.Tower bridge.

This pigeon is posing for the camera (@ The City)This pigeon is posing for the camera (@ The City)

Tower of London

by Cricket808285

Can anyone tell me how long to allow to visit the Tower of London? I need to buy tickets for our next attraction and I need to know how much time to allow.
Thanks in advance!

by swissfondue

You could spend all day there if you wanted to. I would allow at least 3 hours. This would give you time to join a Beefeater tour and wander about yourself as well.

I havent factored queueing in the time suggested. Some say the queues to purchase tickets can be long but I last visited the Tower in Sept 09 and didnt wait in line at all.

by Cricket808285

Thanks! Hopefully, we can get there fairly early and not have to wait long in line.

by leics

There may or may not be queues: it depends on the day you visit. If you want to be sure of avoiding them you can buy tickets in advance online. Here's the official site:

I would also suggest you allow a minimum of 3 hours.

by goodfish

We got there very first thing in the morning and waited a little for the ticket booth to open - then right on in! We were glad we did that as it got much more crowded later in the day, and it allowed us to jump into the first free Yeoman's tour (1 hour - very highly recommended). The tour is included with your ticket and you join them near the tower entrance - just ask. After that, you are free to walk around on your own.

We spent 6 hours there but as Leics suggested, I wouldn't spend less than 3 - there is a lot to explore!

by Dabs

Everyone is different but I'd say a minimum of 3-4 hours, I think the last time I went we were there closer to 5 or 6 hours but that was in the summer and they had special events going on. When we've visited (I'm always going with different people so I think I've been there 5+ times) we always go 1st thing in the morning and I've never waited in line for tickets. Go see the crown jewels 1st before the line forms, that way you can spend as much time as you like gawking at them and then double back and do the beefeater tour which is a must at the Tower, the beefeaters are informative and quite amusing.

If there are several of you going, you might look at this to save a little money

by Cricket808285

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Travel Tips for London

Cheapest Internet access I came across

by poons

The Mocha Cafe Patisserie. only 1GBP for 1 hour of internet access.
Nice cakes, pastries and drinks.

Also offer printing, scanning, cd burning, webcams, games, cheap phonecards and international calls.

61 Charing Cross Road, London WC2H 0NE

Tel: 07776 4532245.

Lost? The easy way to find yourself

by Cham

The Giant Peenarse (spelling changed for firewall reasons) or those who are a little less vulgar would call it the giant Gherkin has saved many a traveller lost in London. Don't think any less of me for calling that... honestly hand on my heart you can ask any person in london where this is and they'll know exactly what you're talking about!

Like a Lighthouse saving sailors on stormy nights this piece of architecture shows up like a beacon on the london skyline. Basically if you're ever lost head in the direction of this and it will take you to the City of London near Liverpool St station. On the way you may even find other landmarks that will guide you closer to your destination but if comepletely lost just remember...

"Look for the Giant Dong in the skyline"

Logo of Les Miserables - she...

by O.KATALINA

Logo of Les Miserables - she is the poor orphan Cossette as a young girl. I much prefer the young Cossette to the grown-up one - the grown-up one is too sweet and demure and a bit characterless. I prefer the spunky Eponine and Cossette's mother Fantine.

Looking for gentlemanly good manners?

by Jenniflower

The fantastical ideal of the English gentleman is long dead it seems. Although I have to say, I have always had help offered when carrying a heavy suitcase up stairs etc. Many people (women) do complain that men don’t open doors for them anymore etc. I still like that.

It is old fashioned, but something which I find a good quality in a man This is also more city-related though... one finds more easy-going and friendly folk out in the English country.

Londoners also generally have a problem with whinging. This is one area where I won't 'when in Rome do as the Romans do' !. I am of the opinion that if the train is a mere 3 minutes late, then so be it, and be patient.

This may because of my upbringing in South Africa, where trains come hourly in many places... and in many countries across the world trains are far less frequent, so I feel Londoners are VERY lucky to have the great transport system they do have. The two smiling lads in the photo are not English, they are South African.

To a large degree I have found that the upbringing in South Africa is more old fashioned than in England, so generally (and I use this term loosely), South African men open doors etc. more than English men do in my personal experience.

High Tea, breakfats ect

by Superhans

Nobody actually drinks high tea.. except the queen. Most people (very general term) have PG tips, with 1-2 sugars and milk. There is no set time, just when in front of the TV or if a friend comes round and at breakfast. When out and about people are much more European (cappucino, espresso, latte ect) except if they are having breakfast out. Oh and people rarley have a full English breakfast (called a 'fry up' here) except on sunday or saturday morning. But lots of people have one or the other (bacon sandwich, sausage sandwich, scrambald egg on toast or fried egg on toast). But lots of people are becoming health concious, so there much more fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries or something more European.

Comments