Hendon Hall - A Thistle Hotel

Waterloo bridge.Waterloo bridge.

St James ParkSt James Park

traveling with injury

by mlaskin100

I hve narrowed our hotels down to
Kensington Close hotelor the BW Boltons Hotel as they're both available and in central Earls court location. Which is preferble?
My wife is recovering from a sport injury so comfort and convenience is the most important. Do all tube stations have escalators?

Thanks for any guidance

by hawkhead

From the London Transport website:

London Tube - Accessibility Information

Access to most Tube stations is via numerous steps. The London underground system can become very crowded at peak times and, therefore, difficult for those with mobility problems.

Many deep-level Tube stations have escalators to platforms. But nearly all the stations with escalators or lifts also have stairs between street level and the ticket hall and/or between the escalator/lift and the platforms. The dowloadable Tube map on our free London travel maps page indicates which Tube stations are step-free.

When boarding Tube trains, you should be aware that there is generally a step of up to 8 inches (20cm), either up or down, between the platform and the train. If this is problematic, you are advised to travel in the first carriage, so that the driver can see you more clearly, and allow enough time for you to get on or off.

For more information, visit Transport for London's Accessibility page.

So your problem may occur in actually getting onto the station concourse.

by IanMacPhail

Agree with Hawkhead but you may be lucky, some stations are more modern. I kinda like the `mind the gap` messages with that funny accent. :-) (Joke!)

by TheLongTone

If you are staying in the Earl's Court/South Ken area the underground stations have escalators or lifts to the Picadilly Line, which is deep, but the platforms for the cut and cover circle and district lines ane generally acessed by a shortish flight of stairs.

Travel Tips for London

General Budget Guide Info

by graememooney

This was posted by a fellow VTer on a forum page and thought it worthwhile including here as a tip:

Copy of articles text below and in subsequent appropriate tips (too long for one spot):

The English capital can be the most expensive city in the world, but it needn't be. Simon Coppock finds out what you can do on the cheap and for free and proves that you can have a great time without spending a lot of money.

cont.....

LONDON is one of the worlds...

by ombre

LONDON is one of the worlds best known citys and must say i had mixed feeling's about the place in general I would say I liked it but I did find I had mixed feelings towards the place.
Central London I found alot of people to be rude and un helpful.
never having been outside Australia before I found I was pretty hopeless finding my way around at first and the people not being helpful was frustrating.
Seeing all the well known sites of London was great , such as the Big clock and the Queens joint and those blokes outside her house with the funny hats that don't like smiling much .
Thought telling them how great England is at world sport was the biggest joke i could tell them lol,didn'tseem to be as funny to an english man as it was to my friends lol. London was the First Place from over sea's I ever visited not counting honk Kong airport.
so that in itself will remain a great memory.
I guess seeing the tower of London and those typical post cards you think of when you think of London.
Always wanted to go on a double decker bus as a kid.We have very few in Australia so I did that and must say was more exciting in my imagination as a child.

Rexvaughan came to town

by Fen

Sue Stone organised a nice little get together with some of her favourite VT members ;) for Rexvaughan

We all met up at the Lamb and Flag pub (The one in Covent Garden) before going on to the Strada Restaurant for a very nice dinner.

From left to right: Rex, Nhcam, Jo104, Toonsarah, Sue Stone and Rex's wife Sacra :)

Trocadero! who dares?nothing artistic!

by irisbe

Trocadero building houses different stuff, I remember two of them:

The first floor with the shops and the friendly supervisors who came up to me telling it was not allowed to take any pictures in the store, unless I bought anything? ok? here goes my old saying again: ?no pictures, no business? and off I went.
Shops! I must be an exceptional female as I really hate shopping and if I had the choice I would have whisked myself somewhere else in the greenery, but it was chilly, windy, dark clouded and raining, in one sentence: no weather for a walk in the park. In here it was dry at least.

A psychedelic automatic stairs: neon lights and glass gave it a tunnel vision; sucked me up completely and before I realised I was up the 2nd floor. All around me in the darkened room: the beeping, ringing and other undefined sounds; flickering lights of game machines, car simulators, soccer games, all hitting my iris without any mercy: money-eating machines, and money losing people, people grown one with the handle of the game machinery, body snatched and mind blown. All that came poured over me and I had only one thought and that was to find the way out!

Can you imagine four of these floors of video games, each the size of a city block? That's exactly what you get when you visit Trocadero, London's modern nightmare game hall!

The way out was perfectly hidden. I realised I was not at second floor; the automatic staircase must have covered more floors! I walked around the whole level, searching for the one that ought to go down, but it just didn?t exist! I finally had to ask one of the dangerous looking ?men in black? and he pointed out that if I go around that corner and around that corner? ok? let?s try those 2 corners first?
Indeed, there were hidden metallic stairs covering half floors, so I had to search many around various corners, but after number two I got the hunch tracing them. I never welcomed the rain as hard as when I felt the wind stroking my cheeks and the raindrops swept away the sweat of fairs off my head as that moment I realised I escaped this huge human trap.
I wonder, if you read my tip about the horses of Helios, if Helios got in here and still wanders around, trying to find the way out. He can?t ask directions. He doesn?t speak English; he is Greek!

All Souls Church

by Elodie_Caroline

This pretty little place is just up the opposite road to Regent Street, straight off of Oxford Circus; Langham Place. It is a small quaint church and it looks very beautiful in the dark, take it from me.

It was built in 1824 as a national thanksgiving for winning the battle of Waterloo, although it's rather a strange thing to build a church as a trophy for winning a war battle don't you think? A bit hypocritical if you ask me. I'm sure God would love to know he's being remembered for people being killed in stupid wars.

That is the BBC radio studios that you can see just behind the church.

Comments