2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

30 Barkston Gardens, Earl's Court, London, SW5 0EN, United Kingdom
Agoda.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Rated 16% higher but also costs 63% more than other 2.5 star hotels

More about London

Harry Potter made it look so easy ...Harry Potter made it look so easy ...

All saints - Regent StreetAll saints - Regent Street

Interior (3)Interior (3)

Route mapRoute map

Best Fish & Chips

by mayasmin

Which restaurant/food place serves the best fish & chips in London? I've heard of Geales and the Golden Hind - are they good? Suggestions very much welcomed!

Thanks

by johnaalex

Must admit I have not tried the Golden Hind. Not that impressed with Geales. Two places I recommend are Fryer's Delight in Theobald's Road (near Holborn) and Masters (near Waterloo).

Regards

John

by SangAji

Sussex fish & chips along London Street, Paddington was my regular shop, thick n freshly cut chips n fresh cod wiz cod roe. Reasonable price too.

by cgf

Asking "Which restaurant/food place serves the best fish & chips in London?"

It's like asking which is the best scotch whisky in Scotland...

Anyway do not look the best fish&chips in a restaurant, 99% it all frozen, I had very good fish&chips "on the street" in South East England, but it was long time ago, they probably do not exist anymore..

by TexasDave

I agree with John, in fact, I recently posted a tip about Fryer's Delight on my London pages- it's quite close to the British Museum.

by MikeStarr5

My favourite is the Upney Fish Bar in Barking Town.

I have no idea how they cook their chips or why they taste so great.... nice and crisp on the outside and soft and well cooked inside. The cod and their other fish is always moist on the inside, pure white with no brown bits and cooked in a delicious crunchy batter. Even the vinegar on the counter it top notch and much tastier than you get elsewhere.

Portion sizes are generous and there is no problem if, like me, you prefer to have it served in one of those yellow polystyrene cartons, rather than the more traditional white paper. Far easier to eat without the vinegar going everywhere, haha !

Apart from fish and chips, there the usual burgers, pies, fishcakes, saveloys, cod roe in batter and pieces of chicken. They have chicken, lamb and shish kebabs served in pitta. The kebabs or burgers come with a gloriously fresh variety of accompanying salad, along with wicked home made chili or garlic sauce.

One of my favourites off the menu are their spicy potatoes, which are served in a delicious tangy "southern fried" coating.

This take away is spotlessly clean and always well staffed, especially during busy periods. You rarely have to wait long to get served, even though there is usually a bit of a queue. Not once have I heard the cry "just waiting for chips mate, 5 minutes " (which, in other chippies, usually means at least 10-15).

by planxty

I would go for Masters on Waterloo Road, it is excellent.

hope this assists,

fergy.

Travel Tips for London

Not all horses are black...

by shutterlust

...and not all telephone booths are red!

The typical London telephone booth is known for its bright and cheery red color. (as are their bright red double decker buses!) However, the transportation authority has decided that red is not the only color in the transportation spectrum. Lately, we've been seeing more and more black telephone booths AND double decker buses.

What is the world coming to?!

Rest room stops!

by ZanieOR

My traveling friend, with a lot more experience sightseeing in foreign lands, gave me an excellent tip: take advantage of every chance you have to make use of a public toilet (or restroom as we call them in America).
So we did, and I have pleasant memories of restrooms in museums and art galleries and even an award-winning toilet at the Tower of London.
And because of her advice, never once did we reach that state of desperation most people are familiar with. And we never once had to pay to use a public bathroom. I was truly impressed with the toilet at Harrod's, very fancy and luxurious as you might expect. However, as I took a photo of our lush surroundings, an attendant came up and told me it was not allowed.
I guess I was lucky she didn't take my digital camera away or make me delete the image.

Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Walk

by filipdebont

This seven mile walkway is created as a memorial to Diana, Princess of Wales. It brings you through London's Royal parks like St James Park, Green Park, Hyde park and Kensington Gardens.

Along the walkway you pass a lot of place which were associated with her, like Kensington Palace, Spencer House and Buckingham Palace.

Where Diana used to live

by rickyvilla81

Back in the late seventeenth Century, Kensington was considered the countryside - it was all the fields and farms, you see. It was for this reason that the asthmatic dutchman William of Orange, who had recently found himself become our King William III, moved away from the damp, polluted confines of Whitehall Palace to the green, airy freedom of Kensington, building Kensington Palace. Many other members of the Royal Family have lived here over the years - Queen Victoria was born here. Elizabeth II's sister Margaret lived here before her cigarette-induced death, but most famously, this was where the Princess of Wales Diana Spencer lived until her tragic death in 1997. After the announcement of her expiry, thousands upon thousands of mourners lay a humungous sea of flowers outside the main gates in a wave of emotion that completely gripped the nation and took everyone by surprise. Not very British, all a bit embarassing now, but that is what happened, and was a testament to the effect Diana had on people's lives. Maybe it was shame - after all, for weeks before everyone in the land was slagging her off for her latest love affair with Dodi al Fayed, son of Harrods boss Mohammed. Personally I would have liked them to have lived and married - instead of Elton John's elastic eyebrows we would have had a funky Jazz scouser priest singing, Di Dodi Di Dodi, i do Dodi Do I Di, I do Di...
Well they DID die, didn't dey.

Classic English beer is...

by mmanchack

Classic English beer is bitter, an uncarbonated and dark beverage that is served at room temperature. To my fellow Americans – don’t expect a fizzy, cold drink like you would order at your local sports bar! Guinness, a very dark, creamy Irish stout, is on sale virtually everywhere. Go for a pint!

Comments