3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 75% more and rated 18% lower than other 3.5 star hotels

• DAO's Profile Photo

NO 1 IN MY BOOKS

The Henry the 8th Hotel is a great mid-priced hotel. I enjoyed my stay and even checked-in early to enjoy the heated indoor swimming pool. Set on a quiet street about 5 minutes’ walk form the Tube, the hotel is generally quiet. When I checked in, I immediately went downstairs to the pool. After a long day at work, that nice dip into the water was absolutely magic. They also had a sauna. I really had the place to myself and had a good relaxing soak. Few hotels in London have a pool with prices under $300 a night. If you are trying to keep costs down with a nice swim at the end of your day, consider this very good hotel.

My room had all I needed. There was a comfortable bed, the room was quiet and I had a good night’s sleep. The only thing to mention is that they do not have air-conditioning. I stayed here in June and it was a bit warm. They do provide fans and it was ok. The pool by the way is open year-round, so a great winter time hotel.

My room was not big, but was functional. Same again for the bathroom. It was modern and did the job while providing me with plenty of light and mirrors to shave. And a very good hot shower.

All in all, a very good hotel. The staff were very helpful and the lobby has lots of information on activities and things to see in and around London. They have a nice bar, the décor is pleasant and the hotel itself lends itself to being quiet.

You are a reasonable walk away from dozens of bars and restaurants and even the Portobello Road market.

Unique Quality:

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
    • 105 rooms in a 6-story Victorian Building
    • Indoor heated pool and sauna – open year round
    • Free Wi-Fi
    • Massages and à-la-carte beauty care treatments
    • Bar
    • 2 Meeting rooms - The Anne Boleyn Suite (80 people) and Directors’ Room (small)
    • Breakfast buffet
    • Quiet

ROOMS:
    • Room types: Single, double and triple rooms, and one suite
    • En-suite with reasonable toiletries
    • Good beds
    • Coffee/tea making facilities
    • Trouser press, safe, writing desk, phone and hairdryer, reasonable closet
    • Free Internet

Directions:
    TUBE
    Queensway (Central line) and Bayswater (Circle and District lines)
    RAIL:
    Paddington Station/Heathrow Express
    (Bakerloo, Circle, District, Hammersmith & City, First Great Western)

More about Henry VIII Hotel

See the big sites like: ...

by DMack_in_Sac

See the big sites like: Tower of London, St. Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey,
Buckingham Palace, Guinness Book of World Records Museum Just experiencing the history of London... the different periods
such as imagining Charles Dickens' London, or King Henry VIII's London, or WWII London.... etc. History comes alive.

A great hotel value!

I'll keep this simple since so many others have already echoed my feelings. This was an excellent hotel choice in a very nice neighborhood. The staff (from housekeeping to food service to front desk) were all pleasant to deal with. One minor hiccup occurred when checking out where the desk person mistakenly pulled another room's records. An anxious moment passed because they insisted the room was not paid for when mine had been prepaid through an internet discount site. It was quickly remedied and apologies were extended. Plenty of food that was included with room rate. Continental choices were juices, cereals, boiled eggs, ham, salami, cheese, bread, croissants, yogurt, and fruits. Full English breakfast was an additional #3. The rooms were of average size for European travel. The bathrooms looked very new and decorated in marble/tile. Water pressure and temperature were both excellent. As usual, every floorboard creaked as you walked the floor. Tube stations were a brisk 5-10 minute walk. Plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby. Without question, I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Good Value/Good Location

We picked this hotel for two good reasons value and location. Not for the fact that the rooms lack air-conditioning and are small, and that it has a heated pool and sauna. The rooms use fans to help on warm nights, but in June the nights can be cool especially early morning. Our fan worked sporadically. The hair dryer would work for a couple of minutes and shut off, but these were minor inconveniences for a hotel in this price range. The up side is that we had a nice clean room with a tub/shower combo. The breakfast is good (cold cuts included) with American coffee and those chocolate filled croissants. The service is friendly. If you want to get on the internet for a few minutes, that is available in the lobby, for longer periods of time I suggest the nearby internet cafe right down the street. The bus picks up at the end of the street or walk to the Queensway Station. A tip for new travellers buy the one day travelcard and get on and off the underground system and/or bus all day. I found the best way to get to the hotel with luggage from Heathrow for the money is Bus #15 from the nearby bus station. It will drop you off at the end of the street which is only a couple of blocks (five minutes) from the hotel.

highway robbery

After reading the reviews for many hotels in London, I decided the Henty VIII combined the best service and price offerings. However, I was sorely mistaken. In all objectivity, it could not have been a bad hotel, rooms were very clean, the internet price was good for London, and the continetal breakfast was pretty good.
However, the desk staff, including the hotel manager were very rude and condescending to me when I needed to address a problem that arose. To make a long story short, the hotel added a 100 pound service fee to a phone call that should have cost less than 25 pounds (researched on British Telecom for actual price of the call) When politely questioned, they at first told me the 20 minute cal I made lasted for 10 hours and that's why the call cost 130 pounds. Then they said the call lasted 261 minutes and that's why it cost 130 pounds. finally, they said the call lasted 20 minutes and still cost 130 pounds.
The way they handled the explaination of the bill seems shady to me not to mention the rude way I was spoken to as though I were a "dumb american."
Since they had my credit card number and security I had to sign the charge slip (though I wrote it was under duress on both copies) My Visa will be handling them now... Avoid this hotel like the plague.

Quite Satisfied with Henry VIII

After hours of searching for a reasonable but well reviewed hotel in London we settled on the Henry VIII as an alternative to the Best Western Pheonix (which is also a good choice nearby Henry VIII).

Overall we were very satisfied with the Henry VIII. As opposed to the reviewer who found the desk staff rude, the older deskman that greeted us was quite pleasant and helpful. Check-in was no problem and we were soon up to our 3rd floor double room. Our room faced the street, but noise wasn't bad. There was no AC (as in most lower priced London hotels) but there was a ceiling fan.

The room was very comfortable and good sized by London standards. Everything was very clean and fairly new. Except the carpet, which was quite a mess. But hey... you can't have it all. The bathroom was small but very nice and looked to be recently remodeled. One nice perk was a iron and ironing board permanently in the room.

The location is not ideal, but pretty good. (almost impossible to stay in the center of London for under $170) It is in a diverse and safe seeming neighborhood near Queensway. It's about around a 5 minute brisk walk to the Queensway tube station where you can catch the Central Line. The Bayswater station is just another block or two down Queensway. (both trains are around a 15-20min ride to the West End). Queensway is buzzing pretty late and thus feels pretty safe even late at night. Things get much quieter as you walk towards the hotel, but the neighborhood is very residential and there are many hotels on the same street as the Henry VIII.

No problems at checkout. Reservation was pre-paid through Hotels.com I believe for an average of $127. If you want to leave your luggage in the left luggage area, I suggest a travel cable lock since anyone can just walk into the luggage room if they like.

Overall: Recommended

Stay somewhere else

I read the reviews of this hotel before booking through a travel agent and i dont agree with many of them. I have to say this was the worst value hotel i have ever stayed in. The room was incredibly small and the service at reception very poor. We stayed there when we arrived in London and then again two weeks later. The room was so tiny we could barely get our bags in.
i asked them to book a larger room for us which they said they would. when we arrived the second time they had lost the booking so we were placed in the same tiny size room. they told us our travel agent had cancelled it a month earlier (never mind we had booked it since then ourselves). i asked them to follow up on this as we believed it wasnt the case which they didnt do. the reception staff were arrogant and most unhelpful.

we have travelled extensively and i have to say this was the poorest value hotel i have stayed in. i believe there are better value hotels in london.

If you do choose to stay here, beware of two things. 1) dont let them call you a taxi. The staff have some shady backdoor arrangement with a company that gives them a commission. They will not call you a black cab which is half the price of the car they call (that has no meter). You are better off walking to the train station 2 streets away or flagging one down outside the hotel. The black cabs may not come if called as they resent the backdoor deal the staff have arranged (according to the taxi driver we managed to get)
2) watch out for the shower nozzle which seems to be rigged to fall on your head each time when you bend down to turn the tap off.

A nice hotel

My sister and I plus two of our friends stayed at this hotel. Nov3-Nov5th. It was extremely nice. Rooms are small, but this is London! Breakfast was terrific with a great variety of food. Clean and in a rather quiet neighborhood. Bathrooms were sparkling and larger than any other London hotel that I have stayed. Staff was helpful and friendly. Overall we were very pleased with our choice of this hotel and will recommend it to our friends.

Excellent budget hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Neringa

I stayed in the Henry VIII with some friends from Jan 28th to 30th and was very pleased with the hotel overall. Plus points include; the hotel is easily accessed (just take the Central line from Liverpool station, hotel is about 7 min walk from tube stop), in a good location near Hyde park, safe area. We also found the hotel to be clean, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the breakfast is adequate. The only negative points would be that the carpet is not especially clean (but I always wear slippers so not a big problem) and the floor was creaky....woke my companion on a midnight trip to the bathroom! When we asked about a taxi one evening, we were told that we could either get a fixed price taxi or hail a black cab. We were recommended to hail a black cab as it would be quicker and we would pay according to the meter. We didn't feel as if they were "pushing" their own taxi's on us. We asked for a recommendation for a nearby restaurant and were directed to a restaurant a few doors down called "Halepi's". This is a Greek restaurant and I personally was very happy with it - lots of olives, vine leaves and an excellent Greek wine! Overall I would definitely recommend the Henry VIII and would not hesitate to stay there again. For the price, you cannot beat the standard in this hotel.

Not bad

by TripAdvisor Member Torianna

Stayed here a while ago, while the rooms are tiny the hotel offers a good location. Near the tube, easy to park (I was able to watch my car from my window and parking was free for the 24 hr period Saturday afternoon - Sunday Morning).

Check in was easy, room was adequately done out and reasonably clean.

Was a bit noisy being over the tube line but I've found that in many London Hotels.

Breakfast was ok, plentiful.

Would stay here again.

Inexpensive hotel in London?

by Rt66Kix

We are looking for a hotel in London for our vacation. We would like something quiet, yet a close walk to a tube station. Our main areas of interest will be Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, Whitehall, Picadilly Circus, etc.

We'd like an ensuite bathroom and my husband needs highspeed Internet access for work.

Any suggestions? We don't need The Savoy; just some place clean, quiet and comfortable.

TIA, Barb

by Stippleeffect

Look on the internet to see if there's a Premier Travel Lodge in the area. They're standard fare and you'll definitely get an ensuite bathroom, not sure about internet connection. You might be better off staying outside of London (it'll be far cheaper) and jumping on a train to London, you've not experienced London until you've survived, sorry travelled, on the London Underground!

by stiab3

Try www.venere.com.

You can select the area you want to stay in and find hotels within it.

The thing is, if you want highspeed internet access, you'd probably have to go for a business-type hotel as opposed to a tourist-type hotel. That'll cost a bit more.

s3

by pedersdottir

Right across the Strand from the Savoy is the budget-priced Strand Palace (don't let the name fool you - it is NOT palatial, but spartan and clean). You can often find good prices there through Expedia/Hotels.com. Not sure about internet connections, but you could call them to inquire.

RE: RE: Inexpensive hotel in London?

by handfordr

Unlike the rest of UK, Travel Lodges in London are expensive and poor value in general, usually 70-100 GBP and upwards. The best of a bad bunch is the Travel Inn County Hall, next to the London Eye.

Also depends on days when you're travelling. Budget accommodation in Central London is more expensive at the weekends in general, whilst larger hotels discount savagely at the weekend when their core businessmen clients go awol.

At the bottom end of the market Paddington and Kings Cross, B&B's will have ensuite doubles with breakfast between 40-50 GBP. The ones in KIngs CRoss opposite the station get good feedback but the area suffers from (an out of date) reputation for seediness.
Try Seymour Hotel Paddington, Montana Excel & Arriva Hotels KIngs Cross for this cheap end.

For middle market, the best area is around Bayswater where confortable 3 stars like Hyde Park Towers Hotel, Henry VIII hotel and Blakemoor Hotel have rooms between 47 and 65 GBP during week.

If you're staying over the weekend. The Citadines Aparthotel at Trafalagr Square is doing studio apartments at 85 GBP or Club Quarters at St Pauls ( a gentlemens club for city financiers) lets room fRidays to Sunday nights only while the members are at home for 69 GBP.

Comments