Hilton Islington Hotel London

See Amenities
DAO's Profile Photo

SEARCH FOR SLEEP IN LONDON

by written on August 30, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel twice. The first time I paid and the second time was free. The reason for the, most appreciated, free stay was my first room. I had requested in writing to have a quiet room on a top floor. I was given a ground floor room next to the largest of the areas used by the cleaners and they were banging on my door at 8am while I was still trying to sleep. In fact ‘banging doors’ should be the name of this hotel. I will explain a little bit later.

My second stay was fantastic – except for more banging doors. I was invited for a free stay by the very (very) expert General Manager of the hotel. When I arrived a few months later I noted that the calibre and helpfulness of the staff are now at a very high standard. I was welcomed with ‘we have given you a quiet room on the back and on an upper floor’. Alright! We are getting somewhere now. I had such great experiences with the reception staff that I wrote out my comment card immediately.

My room was well equipped (again), I enjoyed all my free newspapers/magazines from the lobby, used the 1 working ice machine (top floor) and have a world-class breakfast the next morning. During my stay(s) I used the proper steam iron and full ironing board in every room. Nice showers, comfy beds, a good desk, Wi-Fi, TV, all the usual stuff. There is no gym or anything like that here, but there is plenty of great shopping and dinning nearby.

Now the problem. When the doors close in this hotel the are loud. The shut fast with a bang. So guests and maids are all happily banging away in the morning. Both times I stayed I was on a late start and all I was driven to distraction. I am alight sleeper and I carry my own fan to drown out noise. Bang! I could still hear them. Also the rooms are not well laid out in term of electrical outlets. The ones near the bed are specialty ones like a South African style plug so you can not plug in a laptop, iron, or my trusty fan. I had to swivel (roll) my bed against the TV stand on the other side to plug in my fan.

I do feel there is hope however! The General Manager read my comments about banging doors and emailed me that he would have engineers look at the settings of the door closers. I have no doubt he will eventually get this done. I am impressed.

The final verdict?

For $300 a night your hotel should have a gym/pool and a bit more going for it. The hotel is nice, but for that price I can get the leisure facilities I like to have. Great staff here though.

Unique Quality:

• Great Breakfast
• Good tube access
• Massive exhibition center next door
• Wi-Fi
• Located within a very good shopping/dinning area
• 1 Tube stop from Kings Cross/St. Pancreas

Also offers: Bag Storage, Concierge Desk, Laundry, Parking, Pets Allowed, Room Service, Safety Deposit Box, Babysitting Service, 1 restaurant, 1 bar.

Directions: Nearest Tube Station: Angel (Northern Line)

Dabs's Profile Photo

Priceline-Finsbury/Islington

by written on July 17, 2011

I had a really difficult time bidding on Priceline for my July 2011 visit, I never did get a room for the 5 days on the front end of the trip but less than a week from travel, after bidding for weeks at the same rate, I finally got the Hilton Islington for our last night by bidding $120 for a 4* in Finsbury/Islington. I probably could have got it for slightly less but I was so frustrated in bidding that I just bid the maximum I was willing to pay in the area I wanted and got this hotel.

The reason I picked the area was because it was close to King's Cross/St. Pancras where the Eurostar comes in, the Angel station is one tube stop away. But in retrospect, it probably would have been better to ride the tube to get closer to Heathrow, the connection at King's Cross to get to the Northern line was a really long walk and then it added an extra 20-30 minutes the next morning to get to Heathrow.

The area itself looked interesting, lots of shops, restaurants and pubs along the High Street. In terms of convenience to the sights, it's not the most convenient location as just about everywhere most people would go would require at least one tube line change including Heathrow.

Unique Quality: It's not one of the nicer Hiltons I've stayed at, it's more of a business hotel than a leisure hotel and it's looking a little worn. There wasn't really anything wrong with the room except a couple of housekeeping overlooks, a bottle cap under the bed and a 1/2 used shampoo bottle in the shower. It didn't bother me but I was thinking that the Hilton's cleaning staff shouldn't miss two such obvious things.

We really just used the hotel to sleep, the room had a safe, ironing board, bathrobes, hair dryer, TV, work desk, and tea service. The room was large by London standards. I don't think it had free wifi but I didn't check.

Thw shower was fine although there was a little mold on the shower curtain. Tolietries provided included soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and bath gel plus a few extras like a sewing kit and shower cap.

Directions: Just up the street from the Angel tube station, 5-10 minute walk along Upper Street

DAO's Profile Photo

MY QUEST FOR A QUIET ROOM

by written on June 8, 2011

The final verdict?

Unique Quality:

* Great Breakfast
* Good tube access
* Massive exhibition center next door
* Wi-Fi
* Located within a very good shopping/dinning area
* 1 Tube stop from Kings Cross/St. Pancreas

Directions: Nearest Tube Station: Angel (Northern Line)

tvor's Profile Photo

Hilton class

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 25, 2009

The Hilton hotels are normally out of my budget range and especially in the centre of a city like London. We were planning to spend a couple of nights in London en route between Brussels and Manchester so I perused hotel prices on my favourite sites, Londonnights.com and Londontown.com and lo and behold, for an early May weekend (Friday and Saturday night), Londontown was showing a total price of 65 pounds per night, taxes in, for a double room with buffet breakfast! Holy liftin'!!! I booked and prepaid that pretty sharpish. The location also worked well for us since we were arriving at St. Pancras International and leaving from Euston.

We took the bus to the hotel since we only had carry on luggage and the hotel isn't too far from the bus stop just past Angel on Upper street. It's beside a large business design centre which might be why it was cheap on the weekend. There are stairs to the hotel but there is also a ramp. Check in was lovely, with a hotel like the Hilton you expect good service and we certainly got it. Our good sized room had a queen sized bed and an equally good sized bathroom had both shower and tub. It had all the amenities including a flat screen television, data jacks, a lounge chair and of course, tea and coffee making facilities. The decor was modern in muted tones and the bed and pillows were really comfy.

I was pretty tired when we arrived and decided my aching feet weren't going to take me anywhere that night so we ordered room service. Couldn't get through using the button on the telephone so the reception took the order when i rang there. Room Service called back within a minute or two to confirm the order and it was delivered promptly when they said it would be.

Breakfast is a full buffet and the dining room is bright and cheerful with lots of selection. Coffee/tea and juice are brought to you straight away.

I've set the price per person below to what the usual cost is, about 100 pounds per room per night because I don't think our deal is the usual. Never hurts to check sites like those, however.

Unique Quality: Location just off Upper Street is handy for busses and it's a block from the Angel tube station. The hotel is set back off the street in the back of a sort of courtyard beside a business centre so it's not noisy. Rooms are quiet, air conditioned, and service is very good.

I don't think there's a pool or health club facilities in the hotel.

Directions: A short walk north from Angel or the first bus stop, across a courtyard by the business centre.

HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Hilton Hotel - Islington

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 19, 2007

In February 2007 and 2008 I stayed in the Hilton Hotel Islington on business. It offers all amenities which you expect from this class of hotels: Friendly staff and large fully equipped rooms.

Rooms can be booked with or without the excellent buffet style breakfast. Also dinner at the Hilton Restaurant can be included in your room booking. However, plenty of restaurants such as Thai Square, ASK Pizza or Pizza Express can be found in the neigbourhood.

You probably get the best rates when booking online, but be prepared that your credit card will be charged directly once the room is confirmed.

Also note that the room rates can be quite expensive when a fair or similar event takes place in the adjacent Business Design Centre.

Directions: The Hilton Hotel Islington is located in London's fashionable Islington district. The nearest tube station is Angel (Northern line) which can be reached in about 5 minutes on foot from the Hotel.

Rubbish service

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 21, 2004

When you book a hilton you expect some level service which I havent been able to find there.They were absolute beginners.Tey mixed up rooms coz they book the room twivce and offered alternative room for a reduce price but it was too late...and you cant find another hotel at midnýght so u have to stay there sleepless

Unique Quality: It's in the middle of town which is great to check all these restaurants especially Gallipoly..very cheap and tasty

Nearby Hilton Islington Hotel London

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Buckingham Palace
Public Buses
Taxis
Transportation
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Driving in London
Architectural
Money Matters
Parks and Gardens
Favorites
Public Transport (not taxis)
Getting around