129 Bayswater Road, London, W2 4RJ, United Kingdom

Expedia.com Travelocity Hilton

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• DAO's Profile Photo

THE HILTON FROM HELL

This Hilton is across the road from Hyde Park, but don’t think its going to be quiet. This Hilton is actually built on top of Queensway Tube Station and is on the corner of the amazingly busy Bayswater Road and Queensway. Busy all day and all night. Screaming, shouting, loud music, arguments, vehicle horns, glass collection. You have it all if you have the wrong room. You may think you know where this review is going, but it is more complicated than that. At the time of writing this tip, I am due to be back there in 4 nights. On a non-refundable reservation. Wish me luck.

OK, so you can either use the Bayswater or Queensway Tube to get here very easily. The hotel itself is ok. Actually fairly good. The Reception staff are excellent and up to the Hilton standard. The hotel is old, but revamped in many places. The bar is nice and doubles as the overspill for the Breakfast room. Inside you have free newspapers (including USA Today), sports on a TV and a full selection of alcoholic beverages. The lobby is the size of a postage stamp. You check in and out and that’s all the room they have. Other than that you have the rooms.

My first room, 521, was excellent. I had requested a quiet room facing away from the 2 main roads via telephone and in my written reservation. A nice lady from Kenya had spoken to me earlier and she checked me in when I arrived. My room was on the next to top floor and had 2 beds, living room furniture, reasonable bathroom and a few accessories. I needed to go to sleep and started at around 10:30 pm.

Bang! Thump! Thump! Bang! Crash! It sounded like they were throwing weights down on the floor above my bed. I kept hoping it would stop. I thought maybe it was the staff doing something to tidy up for the night. I fell asleep. Bang! I would fall asleep again. Crash! For well over an hour this went on. I finally got dressed and decided I would go upstairs and confront whoever it was. When I got upstairs one room to the right had its door blocked fully open and the one to the left was partially open. Bang! Crash! I swung the door open and was greeted by 2 young girls doing gymnastics and aerobatics off their beds. They were as surprised to see me as I was them – and they began screaming. I screamed back “where are your parents!?”. No answer except shrieking. I looked in the other room and bathroom – no parents at all.

With this I went back to my room and called reception. I wanted moving and I wanted the children’s neglectful parents located. I packed up and went downstairs and met the Night Manager who did not hesitate to move me to the second floor – Room 221 - looking out right onto Queensway. The second he left me I heard the traffic, a traffic argument and lots of screaming. No way could I sleep through that. I even tried putting the other bed against the window (pictured) and took a sleeping tablet. Nothing. Actually noisier than before. Luckily I had my old key and I went back to my old room. Just as I went to sleep – Bang!. Went to sleep again – Bang! Then I woke up the next morning to find I had slept through my alarm and was now late for work.

Ultimately I blame bad parenting, but I really would not like anyone to ever have a room facing Queensway. It’s a relatively good (London) Hilton in a bad location. Further the attempt to sound proof the windows is an absolute joke. I stayed at the Ramada at London City Airport and could not hear the planes next door. In my room facing the street I could understand the profanity 2 drivers traded with each other in the early hours of the morning.

So if you have a choice of Hilton Hotels in London – be careful unless they can guarantee on of the few rooms not facing the 2 main roads.

By the way, my breakfast buffet was very good. Plenty of hot and cold options and drinks.

UPDATE
    I stayed here again. Never again! They did not have a copy of either of my complaints and put me in the worst room yet. No air-conditioning and right on the main road. I sweated all night long and had no real sleep.

DO NOT STAY HERE

Unique Quality:
    Rooms are:
    • Air-conditioned (only in some! My last room was an oven)
    • Have a steam iron and ironing board
    • Safe
    • No mini-bar
    • TV, radio alarm clock and telephone
    • Coffee/tea making facilities
    • Beds that have mattress pads to hide the fact they are cheap
    • Bath and shower combinations with poor/fading decoration
    • Excellent toiletries
    • Either very quiet (except for some guests from hell) or obscenely loud (good luck)

Directions:
    Tube Stations:
    Bayswater (Circle and District lines)
    Queensway (Central Line)

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

"Budget hotel" for business travellers

Simple hotel for budget business travellers. It is a four stars one but the rooms are quite small and equipped with single bed usually. The toilet in the room is also very cramp. However comparablly cheap given its location.

110 pounds incl. VAT. No breakfast. You may ask to get slippers.

Attention:
    Dont ask the hotel to get you a TAXI!! That was a privately own van, without meter but negotiating prices. I spent 22 pounds to travel from Hype park to Jermyn street, and walked another 10 mins to get to my destination!! Horrible

Directions: Kensinton; Hyde Park

• chrishc's Profile Photo

A great view to be had

Nice accommodation. We were lucky to be guests at a corporate do. The food was great both at the event and for breakfast (on the twenty somethingth floor). Great views too.

Unique Quality: Expensive

• Alpha_Ghana's Profile Photo

A second house during tow years

In the very beginning of my career (1993-1994), I was sent every week one or two days in London from Brussels. I had to stay in this hotel and it became like a second house, I had my usual bedroom and I even left a suitcase with clothes, underwears and toiletries.
    I enjoyed the hotel its services and its situation, close to Hyde Park for jogging, close to Piccadilly and Soho for entertainment and restaurants, etc.

Unique Quality: Great services, comfortable rooms, exceptional situation, shuttle service with airports.

More about Hilton London Hyde Park

If you stay here, insist on a renovated room

by TripAdvisor Member bvh520

How bad could it be, the location is ideal, and all I want is a clean bed and shower, I thought when I made my reservation at the Hilton Hyde Park. I was to find out, pretty bad.
The Hyde Park Hilton appears to be undergoing renovations and maybe it will be better in a few months, but right now you are taking your chances.
Upon checking in I was shown to a room that undoubtly doubles as a movie set for a down-on-his luck drug dealer's flat! The carpet was threadbare, the bedspread looked about 30 years old, not dirty, just worn out. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, there were stains on everything and what looked like mold along the wall close to the window.
I refused to stay in the room, it was that bad.

The bellboy, bless him, was a savior and he called to the front desk and suggested a different room which was freshly painted, clean, and with new covers and pillows on the bed.

The staff was for the most part delightful, they were helpful and courteous, made calls to check on restaurants for me, called cabs, carried my bags, etc, they really raised my overall impression of the place.
However, I did have trouble with the breakfast wait staff who insisted my rate did not include breakfast and announced this rather loudly to the entire dining room without asking if I would like to eat there anyways. After a quick check, it was included, but still when I checked out, there was an additional charge. I am still trying to work that out.

I got the impression that this is a very inexperienced company running this hotel and that once the renovations are complete (there were wet paint signs everywhere) and the staff procedures in place it will be ok. Until then, you are taking your chances.

Construction Zone Hotel

There is construction going on in this hotel and next to this hotel 7 days a week, including Sundays. In any room, you can hear continuous hammering and drilling going on all day long, including sunday morning. The hotel is renovating the stairwell and elevator areas and in addition, there is a tube station construction zone immediately east of the hotel and this work goes on 7 days a week. Additionally, the mattresses and pillows are hard, the king size bed was really queen sized, and the quality overall is just not up to Hilton standards. We ordered flowers to be present in our room on arrival, but the flowers came without a vase and we had to call repeatedly over two days before we got a vase, which was a pitcher wrapped up in aluminum foil. I would not stay in this hotel again nor recommend it to anyone.

Be careful

Got to the hotel and went to the reception to check in. My Camera was stolen within 20 seconds after I entered the hotel in a lobby 3m x 3m. Staff couln't use the CCTV. Police seems to take care of it after reporting it. Receptionists at the hotel don't check who comes and goes in that hotel, a bomb could easily be placed there, they won't even notice!!
As a Hilton Employee myself, I must say this is the WORST Hilton in the Hilton Hotel Chain!!

we got robbed..

by TripAdvisor Member soffy

I stayed at this hotel 6th to 10th march with my boyfriend for my birthday holiday break.
despite the hall is very small and we had left our suitcases and stuff on the chairs just 2 metres opposite the reception desk while checking in..my boyfriend got his valuable camera stolen, nobody saw a thing. the staff couldnt check the security records but had to wait 2 days for the police to come and do it. apparently it had been a team job of 2 men, 1 inside the hall, the other on the street, talking on the mobile to give instructions and when nobody was looking,camera was gone! the man in the hall was surely dressed as a businees man so being a hilton nobody suspected a thing. there should be somebody at the entrance to check who comes in and out, if not security, a bell boy would do, just to see if the person arrived needs to check in or steal stuff around..
after this we got a small room, back facing, with view over the 1st floor roof and buildings walls, leaving just a tiny space to see a bit of sky. renovating works were still on but going on fast and not giving any trouble, even if we could hear drilling in the morning, not clear if from the hotel or tube station right under. our room was the first under 3 steps in the corridor and the door was not certainly noise proof as we could hear every step taken outside. the hairdryer in the bathroom was noisy as the engine of an airplane but not as powerful.. breakfast was very good but it's not clear how such a big hotel has a such small dining room.
on our second day we asked for an umbrella at the reception, nice and big..which we returned the day after, but on departure day we saw it charged for 25 pounds!they thought we had kept it.. infact they had asked me the room number when i took it but not when i gave it back..smart eh!
for each day they also charged 2 pounds for some charity fare, with no notice about it previously.
all in all for what we paid, being mt boyfriend hilton staff too he had special fare for 30pounds a night with breakfast, it was ok, surely not valuable the usual rates.
if u ever go there just pay extra care to ur stuff! never lose sight of it!

Good Location

by TripAdvisor Member brianheyes1

Stayed over weekend and found no problems with the hotel at all.Built on the Queensway tube station which is closed until May but the bayswater tube is only 100m away.No problems from the construction work at Queensway never heard a thing.Breakfast room seems small for size of hotel and you are given a small note advising you to avoid 08.30 until 09.30 (busy time)but we had no problem either day.reception small and a bit dated but staff ok.
Location for us was very good .1.25mile from marble arch (start of oxford street)tube 100m and buses 30m from the door.We went on the low rate weekend deal but I would have been dissapointed if I had paid the advertised (in reception )prices.
Queensway at the side of the hotel is a great street with restaraunts pubs and even an ice rink and is a very lively place with a shopping centre .All in all we enjoyed it.Rooms not badly sized althogh no view at the back but clean warm and confortable.

Comments