Hilton London Hyde Park

DAO's Profile Photo

THE HILTON FROM HELL

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 21, 2012

This Hilton is across the road from Hyde Park, but don’t think its going to be quiet. This Hilton is actually built on top of Queensway Tube Station and is on the corner of the amazingly busy Bayswater Road and Queensway. Busy all day and all night. Screaming, shouting, loud music, arguments, vehicle horns, glass collection. You have it all if you have the wrong room. You may think you know where this review is going, but it is more complicated than that. At the time of writing this tip, I am due to be back there in 4 nights. On a non-refundable reservation. Wish me luck.

OK, so you can either use the Bayswater or Queensway Tube to get here very easily. The hotel itself is ok. Actually fairly good. The Reception staff are excellent and up to the Hilton standard. The hotel is old, but revamped in many places. The bar is nice and doubles as the overspill for the Breakfast room. Inside you have free newspapers (including USA Today), sports on a TV and a full selection of alcoholic beverages. The lobby is the size of a postage stamp. You check in and out and that’s all the room they have. Other than that you have the rooms.

My first room, 521, was excellent. I had requested a quiet room facing away from the 2 main roads via telephone and in my written reservation. A nice lady from Kenya had spoken to me earlier and she checked me in when I arrived. My room was on the next to top floor and had 2 beds, living room furniture, reasonable bathroom and a few accessories. I needed to go to sleep and started at around 10:30 pm.

Bang! Thump! Thump! Bang! Crash! It sounded like they were throwing weights down on the floor above my bed. I kept hoping it would stop. I thought maybe it was the staff doing something to tidy up for the night. I fell asleep. Bang! I would fall asleep again. Crash! For well over an hour this went on. I finally got dressed and decided I would go upstairs and confront whoever it was. When I got upstairs one room to the right had its door blocked fully open and the one to the left was partially open. Bang! Crash! I swung the door open and was greeted by 2 young girls doing gymnastics and aerobatics off their beds. They were as surprised to see me as I was them – and they began screaming. I screamed back “where are your parents!?”. No answer except shrieking. I looked in the other room and bathroom – no parents at all.

With this I went back to my room and called reception. I wanted moving and I wanted the children’s neglectful parents located. I packed up and went downstairs and met the Night Manager who did not hesitate to move me to the second floor – Room 221 - looking out right onto Queensway. The second he left me I heard the traffic, a traffic argument and lots of screaming. No way could I sleep through that. I even tried putting the other bed against the window (pictured) and took a sleeping tablet. Nothing. Actually noisier than before. Luckily I had my old key and I went back to my old room. Just as I went to sleep – Bang!. Went to sleep again – Bang! Then I woke up the next morning to find I had slept through my alarm and was now late for work.

Ultimately I blame bad parenting, but I really would not like anyone to ever have a room facing Queensway. It’s a relatively good (London) Hilton in a bad location. Further the attempt to sound proof the windows is an absolute joke. I stayed at the Ramada at London City Airport and could not hear the planes next door. In my room facing the street I could understand the profanity 2 drivers traded with each other in the early hours of the morning.

So if you have a choice of Hilton Hotels in London – be careful unless they can guarantee on of the few rooms not facing the 2 main roads.

By the way, my breakfast buffet was very good. Plenty of hot and cold options and drinks.

UPDATE
I stayed here again. Never again! They did not have a copy of either of my complaints and put me in the worst room yet. No air-conditioning and right on the main road. I sweated all night long and had no real sleep.

DO NOT STAY HERE

Unique Quality:
Rooms are:
• Air-conditioned (only in some! My last room was an oven)
• Have a steam iron and ironing board
• Safe
• No mini-bar
• TV, radio alarm clock and telephone
• Coffee/tea making facilities
• Beds that have mattress pads to hide the fact they are cheap
• Bath and shower combinations with poor/fading decoration
• Excellent toiletries
• Either very quiet (except for some guests from hell) or obscenely loud (good luck)

Directions:
Tube Stations:
Bayswater (Circle and District lines)
Queensway (Central Line)

Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

"Budget hotel" for business travellers

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 11, 2006

Simple hotel for budget business travellers. It is a four stars one but the rooms are quite small and equipped with single bed usually. The toilet in the room is also very cramp. However comparablly cheap given its location.

110 pounds incl. VAT. No breakfast. You may ask to get slippers.

Attention:
Dont ask the hotel to get you a TAXI!! That was a privately own van, without meter but negotiating prices. I spent 22 pounds to travel from Hype park to Jermyn street, and walked another 10 mins to get to my destination!! Horrible

Directions: Kensinton; Hyde Park

chrishc's Profile Photo

A great view to be had

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 25, 2004

Nice accommodation. We were lucky to be guests at a corporate do. The food was great both at the event and for breakfast (on the twenty somethingth floor). Great views too.

Unique Quality: Expensive

Alpha_Ghana's Profile Photo

A second house during tow years

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 17, 2004

In the very beginning of my career (1993-1994), I was sent every week one or two days in London from Brussels. I had to stay in this hotel and it became like a second house, I had my usual bedroom and I even left a suitcase with clothes, underwears and toiletries.
I enjoyed the hotel its services and its situation, close to Hyde Park for jogging, close to Piccadilly and Soho for entertainment and restaurants, etc.

Unique Quality: Great services, comfortable rooms, exceptional situation, shuttle service with airports.

Nearby Hilton London Hyde Park

• Suites
  • Airport Transportation
  • Bar / Lounge

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Buckingham Palace
Trafalgar Square
Piccadilly
Things to Do
Airports (travel to and from)
Taxis
Driving in London
Souvenirs
Department stores
Shopping
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Train / Bus Stations
Architectural
Money Matters
Parks and Gardens
Favorites
Public Transport (not taxis)
Eating, Drinking and socialising
Gojo, Notting Hill
Chiquito, Leicester Square
Micky's Fish Bar, Paddington
Restaurants
Theatre and Shows (including tickets)
Piccadilly