179-199 Holland Park Avenue, , London, England W11

Booking.com Agoda.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Hilton Kensington

The Hotel has a decent location thats about it. I take trouble writing this review because the personnel were to a great extent hopeless. Cleaning was fine but the front desk people were the most useless bunch I met in a long time. First they were wasting hours of my time during checkin. Then we got an inferior boxlike room and on top of it all they lost (!) my trousers that I had left with them for drycleaning. I believe this was not the drycleaners fault but the hotels. Also, the food is overpriced and vial. Regular triangular mayo sandwiches from a box for the price of a sit down dinner. Yes, I know this is central London, but even that has its limits.

Unique Quality: Motel 8

Directions: Holland park roundabout in outer Kensington

• babelic's Profile Photo

Very nice hotel, but location could be better

The hotel is very nice. The service was good and the staff were helpful. Our room was nice, clean and spacious. Our room faced the Holland Park Avenue, but windows blocked all street noise.

The location is a little out of the way. There's a bus stop right next to hotel and a tube station about 5 minutes walk away. There are some shops and restaurants near Holland Park tube. The Westfield shopping centre is very near and has a lot of shops and restaurants.

I would consider staying at this hotel again if I got a good deal through priceline. If paying full price I would prefer to stay in a more central location.

• ITjetsetter's Profile Photo

Hilton at London Kensington

Very good stay, haven't tried any facilities . Very clean hotel , fast check in and check out. i'll definately be back there.

Unique Quality: Good location not far from Paddington Station ( 30 minutes walk ) , Hide Park and shops

Directions: Kensington

• OiKnow's Profile Photo

Very Comfortable

We arrived a little after 9:00 AM after an overnight flight from the USA and the hotel was able to check us in imediately. We went and took a couple of hours nap, freshened up and and spent the afternoon exploring the British Museum. The hotel is located on a tree lined street in a quiet residential area. The hotel has completed a recent and total renovation of the guest rooms and was quite comfortable. The room was larger then normal for London (where hotel rooms are tiny.) The bath had been redone and with top of the line fixtures. The air-conditioning worked fine. The hotel cater's primarily to tourists including large tour groups. The lobby was congested when the groups were comming and going. The rate that I booked did not include breakfast. The add on price at the hotel for the breakfast buffet was 19.95 GBP, (that is over $40 USD per person.) We skipped that (are they nuts?) and walked up the street three blocks and had a delightful breakfast in a small bakery. Overall the hotel was comfortable, clean, and quiet. Yes I would stay there again.

Directions: Quiet residential area. Tree lined street walk toward the Holland Park tube station and you will find local shops and restaurants. Located between the Holland Park and Shepherd's Bush tube stops.

• tahte's Profile Photo

OK for 2 days

After reading reviews for more expensive hotels that contained words like "bedbugs" and "stains," I thought a Hilton Hotel would be a safe bet.

I expected the room to be small, but it was clean and nicely appointed. However, I did not expect the bathroom to have mold in the corners! Surely this is due to the fact that the only ventilation is the gap underneath the door! (Be careful when stepping in and out of the tub as they are higher than those in the U.S.)

Also, the beds were hard. Not firm, HARD. But after being awake for the whole 7-hour flight, I did manage to get some sleep. That is until I started the guests next door repeatedly slammed the door as they came and went! The staff was not much quieter; there was a lot of blundering as they cleaned the room at the crack of dawn.

I would only stay here again as a last resort, and for no more than 2 nights. Next time, I will just cough up the money and stay somewhere really nice.

UPDATE - Since I filled out the customer feedback card, they wrote me an letter apologizing for the bathroom, and assured me they would rectify that situation. Also, they offered me a free upgrade to an executive room next time. Maybe the executive beds are softer!

Unique Quality: The location is in a very pretty and quiet residential area. Several buses stop in front of and across the street from it. The Holland Park subway station (Central Line) is a few blocks (10 minute walk) away.

Though the bathroom was moldy, it did have a nice set of Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries.

• billtei's Profile Photo

Good value in a great neighborhood ...

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon, after spending a week (with the exception of one night in Paris) at the Hilton Kensington. I booked our room over 6 months ago and got a phenomenal rate of 69 GPB per night. When I called to confirm the reservation and mentioned that it was our honeymoon, the front desk manager Sylvester exceeded our expectations and made sure we were well taken care of! He was thoroughly professional, along with the rest of the front desk staff throughout our stay. Free currency exchange was a welcome amenity, especially after we returned from a side trip to Paris and needed to convert euros back into pounds. The executive room was small by American standards (normal for UK), but clean and tastefully decorated. Executive Lounge was great for a quick (FREE) breakfast before sightseeing all day. One minor pet peeve was the climate control- we had it turned all the way down but still needed to open the window so it wouldn't get too stuffy in there. Another complaint was the restaurant (Imbue); the waitstaff seemed amateurish and menu was entirely overpriced. Hopefully the hotel GM can turn the restaurant around; otherwise, no other complaints. We loved the residential Kensington location because it affords a real slice of London life, far enough from tourist spots but only a few minutes walk to Holland Park tube station. Although it may not match the grandeur of other Hiltons, the Hilton Kensington sits in a great location, and we'd glady stay there again for the right price.

Unique Quality: Great residential location, yet close to Holland Park tube station (Central Line).

Directions: Holland Park Ave, few minutes walk west of tube station.

• Cool area, miserable hotel

We stayed at the Hilton Kensington for 10 days in October. The air conditioning didn't work and the room was uncomfortably warm. The only response we got from the staff was to open the windows. They said they had no control over the heat or a/c in the hotel. Three wakeup calls came an hour early, two came 30 minutes late, and one never came (the day of our early morning flight leaving London). Our room was filthy with old carpet and peeling wallpaper, and we had trouble finding a staff member who was fluent in English. Overall the staff ranged between indifferent and rude. I travel extensively, and would not recommend this hotel under any circumstances. The only reason we didn't switch hotels was because we were locked into a rate there.

Unique Quality: The only redeeming quality of this hotel is the location. It's great if you want to be off the beaten path-not far from Kensington Palace, Hyde Park and Portobello Road. It's in a really cool part of town where (outside the hotel) the people are laid back and friendly.

Directions: Notting Hill/Holland Park area. Coming out of the Holland Park tube station, take a right, and the hotel is about a ten minute walk. Also the Number 94 and 148 buses stop in front of the hotel.

• Choose Executive Suite rather than standard

I stayed at this hotel in London June 2004. We upgraded our room to a Executive suite for 30 GBP/night extra due to online reviews. I'm glad we did. It included complimentary breakfast (a 17.95 GBP value) per person which was all you can eat buffet style:eggs, cereal, salmon, cheese, buns, toast, danish's, fresh fruit with creme, coffee, tea, soft drinks, fruit drinks etc. Also access to executive lounge all day long. The lounge had free soft drinks/fruit drinks/water all day and you could take it to your room or drink there. From 6-9pm they had free hard liquor, beer, coffee, tea and appetizers.

The room itself was quite small. A hint: the twin rooms are bigger than the double rooms. The twin room (which was switched to a double the next night at our request - big mistake!) had a bathtub/shower combo but the double room had only a shower. No facecloths (we only got one once). The complimentary bathrobe never appeared. The air conditioning didn't work for 2 days (we repeatedly asked for it to be checked and were offered a fan in the meantime).Then it worked REALLY TOO well for one day and then didn't work again. The room quite hot. The front desk/concierge were quite helpful and the front lobby is beautiful. Restaurants located in the lobby area are very expensive (we never used them due to executive suite benefits). The tours go from the hotel but we prefered to do our own touring by walking to the Holland Park tube station (5 minutes away). Nearby restaurants don't serve breakfast. Most of the dinner ones open at 6:00pm. The pubs were nice but don't serve food (only drinks)til 12:00. They aren't smoky early in the day.

Hotel check-in time 3:00pm but they are able to look after your baggage for free before you are able to check in so you can start sight-seeing.

Phone calls are very expensive. Using your calling card is the cheapest way.

In summary: quite clean but small rooms, expensive but definitely worth it to upgrade to executive. Bring your own facecloth!

Unique Quality: There wasn't a pool, not much of a view either but the executive lounge had 2 quite nice little outdoor patios with tables that were quite relaxing to get away from other people. Close to transportation. Portabello Antique Market close by well worth it!

Directions: Take airport shuttle directly to the hotel. Or take Holland Park Tube and turn right when you get out of the station onto Holland Park Drive. Walk about 5 minutes to hotel on the left.

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

Hilton Kensington

Easy access to all places in London,few minutes walk to High street Kensington shopping area,not far away from the west end(only few minutes by bus).
    Our room had double bed,really nice,clean and cosy.also we had an access to the executive suite for snaks and beverages.

Unique Quality: It has a bus station located infront of the Hotel which transport you to the airport and many nearby cities(Oxford for example),also to the other parts of London.with Oxford tube and Airbus.

More about Hilton London Kensington

Fantastic Hotel ! A++++!!!!!!

I stayed at the Hilton London Kensington four nights and found it to be an incredible hotel! I was a little concerned by some of the comments that have been posted about the room being small but I found it large and comfortable (I was on the second floor) the staff was very friendly and the location was excellent .The nearest tube station is Holland Park on the Central Line, if one goes East one station you come to Notting Hill where you can change to the Circle & District Lines and go pretty much anywhere in London. Getting back to the room itself, It was equipped with cable television which had besides British channels, Arabic, German, Indian and Far Eastern stations on them as well (I have no idea what they were saying but it looked interesting!) All in all My one complaint is that I could not have stayed longer!

Pubs/Restaurants Hilton London Kensington area

by dandoodle

Are there any great pubs or restaurants or must sees in this area?
We are staying at the Hilton London Kensington at 179 Holland Park Ave.
Thanks

by trvlrtom

A fine pub not too far from where you are staying, on the other side of Holland Park, is the Churchill Arms. For the exact address you can Google it or look at my VT tip

by puerto_lover

Not far from the 'nerve centre ' of the BBC.
Maybe a tour of the BBC ?

by paradisechaser

Hi,

Portobello Market is a must see, it's just a stroll from your hotel and the Nothing hill area.

Enjoy your trip :)