Holiday Inn Garden Court London - Oxford Circus

Satisfaction Average

Costs 95% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• planxty's Profile Photo

Reasonable and central

It really is very hard to find much to say about the Holiday in Oxford Circus. It is in an excellent location, merely a few minutes walk from the shopping areas of Oxford Street, Regent Street and Bond Street. The reception area is clean and tidy although the bar area is a bit soulless and certainly overpriced even for a hotel in central London. This, however, is not a problem as there are plenty of eating and drinking opportunities nearby.

The room is not particularly spacious but I expect this in the area where space is at such a premium. The room itself is well-appointed with everything you would expect like flatscreen cable TV, complimantary toiletries and morning newspaper, wifi throughout the hotel etc. I can report that the bed is particularly comfortable.

I would suggest you check if your tariff includes breakfast or not. It was a fairly average hot and cold buffet affair and at £15 for the English breakfast well over-priced. You can get an excellent cooked brekfast nearby for half the money.

The Holiday Inn is just what you would expect, a chain hotel, clean and well-run but hardly anything special. If you need to be central, however, this is as good a place as any.

Unique Quality: Nothing unique at all, just a decent chain hotel in a good location.

Directions: From Oxford Street, walk up James Street, right into Wigmore Street, then second left into Welbeck Street. It is on the left. Nearest Tube is Bond Street.

• sjm82's Profile Photo

Holiday Inn - Oxford Circus

This particular Holiday Inn is set off Oxford Road, just behind Debenhams. We were recommended to get off the tube at Oxford Circus but there was a 10 minute walk (complete with heavy suitcases).
    Bond Street station is MUCH closer, literally three minutes across the road.

There aren't many places to grab a snack near-by, so if you're looking for breakfast in the morning it was McDonalds on Oxford Road.

We found a great place called 'Make Mine' on Regent Street (or is it Regent Road!) they do great bagels and fry-ups.

Unique Quality: The Hotel is adequate for a clean room, comfy bed and a shower. The decoration could have been improved, as could the ceiling done with a lick of paint and a dust, but there's no noise from outside thanks to being situated on a quiet, but very safe, side-street.
    Good black-out curtains too helped a much-needed sleep in.

Directions: Find Debenhams on Oxford Road, walk around it, cross the road running parallell to Oxford Road, and it's just on the left. Big gold shiny dome above the door.

More about Holiday Inn Garden Court London - Oxford Circus

Improvements at last

by TripAdvisor Member Martin23

Well I must say the poor quality Internet has improved. The speed is more broadband like but the cost is still high.

My wife did find a way round the high cost of the Internet access, just fill out a customer complaint form and they give you a refund.

The quality of the bedrooms was higher that we expected and the food was fairly priced

Get out and about!

Decent hotel in excellent location. Good value for money in central london. Rooms very good and facilities fair.
Why do American reviewers get so hung up on the internet access? Surfing the net isnt exactly what we go to London for! And there's an Easyinternet cafe on oxford street - which is good value and very quick if people cant cope without it.

Good location, lots of faults

by TripAdvisor Member Concord Pit

We are Platinum Ambassadors of the Priority club, and we were 'upgraded' on arrival. We didnt get an executive room, but one of the better views on the fifth floor. The room was cramped, awkward to get into due to the door placement with the bathroom, had a door missing from the tea cupboard, and the window fitted so badly, a howling cold wind ran through the room all weekend. Great location, 3 minutes walk from Oxford Street. Breakfasts are average only, the food is overcooked and stale - they dont refresh very often, and leave food standing. I much prefer other Holiday Inns in London for overall quality and recognition for priority club membership.

Fairly basic but comfortable

We booked a family room and although a little squashed in- was adequate for us 4.
The room was reasonably clean and tthe bedding very clean.
Th rooms need maintenance around the edges but everything worked ok.
The breakfasts are absolutely vile.
Very stale very greasy and very little choice.
The restaurant is hot cramped and smelly...eat out!!!

The hotel is very close to Oxford street and there is a steady stream of taxis passing so fairly convenient.
We had a nice time as a family-- but won't stay in this Holiday Inn again

Great stay in Summer 2004

by TripAdvisor Member Member05

I glanced at the recent reviews and saw that they were not very good. It recently occurred to me that I should try to share details about all the hotels that I have stayed at after having found them through Tripadvisor, so although this review is rather old, I hope it helps.

I had a great experience here. I thought that the location was excellent for the price and my room was very clean. No complaints here what-so-ever. This hotel is very close to the nearest tube station and I felt very safe, which is why I enjoyed this hotel.

The one down-point that I can point out is that the staff was completely unhelpful with helping us get a cab. Our plan A was taking the tube to the airport anyways, but the fact that the hotel could not get us a cab would be a huge inconvenience for most people I'm sure.

My 2 top priorities in a hotel are location and cleanliness for a good price and I got both here.

Not spectacular, but perfectly adequate

by TripAdvisor Member Shusher

I traveled to London in late February, 2006 to speak at a conference, and this was the hotel in which the organizers put me up. Having read the very mixed reviews it's gotten on TripAdvisor, I was a little concerned about what I'd find, but overall the experience was fine.

As everyone else here has noted, the location is excellent -- about two blocks from the Bond Street tube station, right on the Central line and only a few stops away from Notting Hill (Portabello Road, etc.) in one direction and the City of London (St. Paul's, etc.) in the other. Oxford Street itself is great if your idea of a London experience is elbowing your way through a thronging crowd on your way to Starbucks and the Gap, but Soho has great restaurants off the beaten path (I had excellent meals at Soho Spice and at Vecchio Milano, and good food with lousy service at the Wamagamma noodle house, all within easy walking distance).

OK, the hotel: I was pleasantly surprised by the room, which wasn't huge but was plenty big enough for one person and was clean and very comfortable (if a little bit beaten up: chipped paint on the corners, etc.). The shower was the best I've ever experienced in a hotel. One of the windows fit badly and made a sound like a lovesick elephant when the wind blew, but I was able to jam it with wet napkins and stop the sound, mostly. I should have said something to the staff, but they all seemed kind of sullen and it was my last night anyway, so I didn't bother.

The one thing you need to know about the rooms is that the lights don't work unless you insert your keycard in a wall-mounted slot. I had several minutes of confusion before I finally called the front desk and had this explained to me. To make matters weirder, you can't turn the lights on and off selectively (except for the bathroom light). Either your card is in the slot and they're all on, or it's out of the slot and they all turn off after a brief delay (to give you time to run to the bed). I told the desk guy that this was the weirdest thing I'd ever encountered in a hotel, and to his credit, he agreed with me.

By the way, the reason Americans care so much about Internet access is that when we're traveling, many of us are doing so on business. Being able to access email from your hotel room makes a very large difference to someone in that situation. As others have noted, Internet access is both expensive and unreliable in this hotel. Your best bet is to take your laptop to a coffee shop that offers wireless connectivity.

I never tried the restaurant -- all the other reviews have said that the food was inedible, and I didn't feel like checking it out for myself. There's so much good, cheap food within easy walking distance of the hotel that I never felt the need.

Hope this helps! Overall, I'd definitely be willing to stay there again. The problems were minor, and the benefits were significant.

Very enjoyable

by TripAdvisor Member ayaarlos

I stayed at the holiday inn for a week and enjoyed my stay very much. The day staff was very friendly and helpful, the hotel was immaculate and the bed was very comfortable. The location is absolutly amazing, 5 minute walk from Bond Street Tube and 10 minutes from oxford circus. The only small problem is that the walls are a bit on the thin side, so if you are very sensitive to noise you may be bothered a bit. I am not, so it didn't bother me at all. Breakfast was very nice, not spectacular but nice nonetheless. I would definatly stay again, mostly because of the cleanliness, beds and perfect location.

Adequate

by TripAdvisor Member SJM82

My sister and I stayed in this hotel over the New Year season 2005-2006. It's set back from Oxford Road, almost directly behind Debenhams.
The best Underground Stop would be Baker Street as it's only a short walk. Oxford Circus stop means battling all the shoppers and it's about half a mile walk from there.
It was conveniently located for shopping, although I would prefer next time to be situated closer to Piccadilly Circus.

Our room over looked an alley-way with other windows all around, either from residential buildings or the same hotel. You couldn't see into these rooms, nor do I imagine these rooms could see into ours. There were net curtains, and also a black-out curtain which we found very useful for blocking out the early morning sunshine.

The rooms were clean and tidy, the bathroom was clean also. You could smell that cleaning products had been used, but in a good way, a clean way, not an over-powering way.

The bathroom and the decor could possibly be updated, but the room is sufficient for just sleeping and relaxing after a hard day's shopping.

We did not order room service or use the breakfast facilities, and found at the end of our stay they presented us with a bill for £16 for the breakfast buffet. We simply said we had not used it, they quickly apologised and discarded the charge.

They allowed us to use the luggage storage area, securely locked, as our flight was much later in the evening, and we checked out at 11am. This was very useful as it saved us carrying our luggage around all day.

Good hotel in central London

by TripAdvisor Member Cambridge2

Stopped here recently on a night paid for by reward points. Because of this I was expecting to be put in the smallest room - so I was very impressed that my booking was upgraded to one of the executive rooms. Being a gold card holder has its advantages.

In terms of hotels rooms in central London, this was one of the biggest rooms I have stopped in - certainly compared to other Holiday Inns in London ( have stopped in most - it is my company's preferred hotel chain).

Location is perfect - Oxford St is a few mins walk away

Don't know what the breakfast was like as I slept though it (late night!)

Would definitely recommend and I would stop there again

Comments