Coram Street, Russell Square, London, WC1N 1HT, United Kingdom

Hotels.com Booking.com HolidayInn.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• black-saturn's Profile Photo

Good to be in the centre

We stayed for 4 nights in this hotel. The room was wonderful. The bed was comfy and it had a sofa, coffee table, tv and all the little extras like a kettle and a bathroom. Only downside to the hotel was that there was a lot of door slamming going on all night.

The breakfast was nice. Choice of breads and pastries, cereal, english breakfast and toast.

Unique Quality: In a good location for most of the things in London

Directions: Very close to Russell Square.

More about Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury

A great hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Krissy80

The Holiday Inn Bloomsbury was a fantastic hotel. It was clean, located close to the Russell Square Tube station (on the same line as Heathrow airport) and it was close to many major attractions. The staff were friendly and helpful. There is also a great pub called "Goose" across the street. The food and drinks were cheap (about 3 pounds for a burger, fries, and a beer). I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Very pleasant stay

by TripAdvisor Member orelse2

I, my wife, and our 16 year old son stayed at the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury for 5 nights recently - a very pleasant stay. We paid 90 pounds for a room with a double bed and a double-size convertible couch (It was surprisingly difficult to find hotels with 2 doubles beds in London). This included full breakfasts each day. The room was rather small (as expected) but in good condition and very clean and included a small refrigerator. The breakfasts were good. It is only 1 block from the Russell Square Tube station (which had just reopened after the bombing) and easy walking distance to the British Museum. We would definitely stay there again. There were no surprises on the bill, other than a 1.5 pound charge to access our USA-direct number.

Was all we were looking for - Clean, nice-size room, & tube stop close by

If you are an experienced European traveler, you will enjoy your stay at the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury. The British Museum, British Library, and Dickens House are within walking distance. The Camden Market is a short bus ride away. Russell Square (a lovely small park) and The Russell Square Underground station are a block away. It is a very short tube ride to the Holborn stop, from which you can get anywhere in the city quickly. Southhampton Row has plenty of restaurants and pubs (look down the alleys and sidestreets too). The rooms are large for England standards, a fine size for American standards for 2 people. In our room there was shampoo, hand lotion, soap, hairdryer and trouser press provided. There was also a notice in the bathroom with a list of small toiletry items they will provide at your request. If they ask if you want to upgrade - just say no. They didn't pressure me at all when I did. We had an inside room so noise wasn't a problem, and we weren't there for business so internet wasn't a problem either. They held our bags for us after we checked out so we could do additional sight seeing. Really, I can't ask for much more for the price (around $120/night - booked through Hotwire)

Great room for the price

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a week. We got a fantastic deal on Hotwire ($107 per night) and then paid $200 (for the whole week) to upgrade to an executive room. The room and the bathroom were spacious and clean. The staff were helpful and nice. The location is fantastic--about a minute's walk (if that) from the tube. It's in an area with many other hotels.

Awful. Nasty. A rip-off.

First the good news. The rooms are clean. The rest is just horrible.

When you first show up, if you are early, they say that all the rooms are full and you will have to wait unless you want to upgrade for "only an additional 50 pounds a night."

Then when you beg they put you on right on a room right on the street so noisy so you cannot hear yourself think. (For 230 pounds a night!) Then when you go back and complain nicely, another room mysteriously appears. Pretty good for a hotel that is "full", eh?

This happened to me, and also to someone else while I was waiting in line (a frequent occurence there) the next day. A different clerk used the same language to up the price 'only 50 pounds a night' so this is likely a practiced deception and institutional policy.

I say different clerk because most of the clerks changed from day to day, even within the same shift. I can only assume because this is such an awful place to work, they cannot keep anyone. Virtually no one working there is British (most are from other European nations, with an African or two, and all the cleaning staff is East European) so I suspect they also have trouble paying enough.

The rooms are just large enough that you can navigate without turning sideways. I am very serious. They are very clean and attractive in an institutionally modern way, but puny, and for the price absolutely outrageously expensive.

Internet access was a huge hassle and overpriced. The staff does not know how it works and is likely to give you misleading information that will cost you a ton. There is an internet shop two blocks away that is 1/4 the price, open until 11 pm. Very friendly.

Some of the front desk people are unbelievably surly and nasty. One actually screamed at me "What are YOU doing there!" when I plugged into the the electric plug at their "Internet desk" to use the overpriced wireless connection. This is how they treat a guest paying dearly for their hostelry. (Hostile-ry?)

You get the sense this hotel exists only to grind every last penny of profit out of every unfortunate guest and employee. There are no amenities in the room: even shampoo is not put in. Chocolates? Forget it? Trouser press? Nope. How about this: an iron that emits steam? Sorry, what do you want for 210 pounds a night? Bring an iron with you: or just walk around wrinkled with a sign that says, "I stay at the Bloomsbury Holiday Inn.'

The best thing about the neighborhood is that you can get out of it. There is nowhere you would want to eat or shop. Ask someone at the restaurant to recommend a local place for dinner and they cannot. "Mostly places for breakfast and sandwich shops."

It is not dirty or dangerous: just boring. There is a tube stop nearby but it is not a transfer point so it is not the most convenient, a small hassle.

I did not try the restaurant, a pseudo-pub. It was full of cigarette smoke and that usually wafted out into the lobby. Tough to imagine one would find quality of value there, based on the hotel.

This place just reeks of bad energy. It is one of the worst hotel ripoffs I have ever seen. Do yourself a favor: stay away. Spend that amount of money in a real hotel that exists for a reason other than separating money from everyone who has the misfortune of crossing its threshold. I am so sorry I stayed at this place.

A Terrible Stay in a Good Location

This was one of the most infuriating hotel experiences I have ever had. The hotel lobby looks nice, but not nearly nice enough to make up for everything else the hotel lacks. Our room was small and located above what seemed to be London's Noisiest Street. My sleep was disrupted (and I am a deep sleeper) almost every night because of the voices, cars, and loading trucks coming from outside. Housekeeping did the bare minimum, not even bothering to supply us with additional bathroom tissue when we were almost through our last roll (afterwards that's when the kleenex came in handy). The worst part of all was that we asked for a wake-up call for 6am and they failed to give us one, causing us to nearly miss our flight to Barcelona that morning. The hotel staff had little reaction to this error on their part and they were far from apologetic. Despite its good location, I would never consider staying at this hotel again.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member johnsayers

For London this is a very nice Hotel, I go to London a lot on business and most Hotels, even big chains are horrible, this used to be a Trust House Forte Posthouse, its now a Holiday Inn and had a total refurb, it wasnt that bad before, compared with others. I use it all the time and would take my family there. Its in Bloomsbury which is a safe area, by British Museum. It has underground car park. Its just around the corner from Russell Square Underground station on the Piccadily line and 15 minutes walk from Euston Mainline station.

Nice hotel and locatin

After reading some of these reviews, I was reluctant to stay here. I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is nothing special, and the room we had was small, but it was more than adequate. The location was great unless you want to be in the directly heart of the touristy part of London. We loved the residential neighborhood and the little restaurants nearby. It was about a 20 minute walk to the West End theaters, and the Russell Square station of the underground was only a block away (but it was closed when we stayed there because of the terrorist bombings). Overall, a nice place and good location.

Comments