Holiday Inn London-Camden Lock

Expedia.com IHG Priceline.com

Costs 39% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• american_tourister's Profile Photo

Way groovy location!

We are using ICH points to stay here during the Olympics in August 2012. I was able to grab a couple of days here on a business trip to check out the hotel and the area before our trip. this way, very few surprises.

I had a hellacious flight with 2 diversions and an overnight stay in Newark, NJ of all friggin places. I arrived very late at night and found that there had been a power outage. They could not reference my reservation in their computer nor make me a room key as everything was down. What they did though was steer me to the bar where I quickly downed a few pints of cider. After a few minutes one of the bellmen came in with some Dominos Pizza for all the folks at the bar. Seems the computer and power outage had jacked up the kitchen too so the Hotel Night Manager ordered pizza to serve his hungry guests. When I was ready the bellman walked me upstairs and let me in my room with his pass key.

I can't say enough about the staff. They are mostly Hungarian and they were stoked that I knew a few words in their language as most Americans don't. They were actually interested to hear how I had worked in Kaposvar for the US Army.

Upon checking out the desk manager comped all my extra charges including internet and minibar as an apology for the power problems. HI did not cause the outage but they took steps to make sure the guests were made as comfy as possible. This I won't forget and I am really looking forward to staying there again come this August.

Unique Quality: Really cool location right in the middle of the very trendy Camden area. Didn't see an celebrities but after living in SoCal for so long I really don't look for them.

Directions: Right next door to CBS outdoors and on the Camden Lock itself.

• misodiva's Profile Photo

Very nice decor

The hotel had nice clean modernist decor. Room was smallish, but had desk, mini-bar. There is a pillow menu you can order feather, etc. The mini-bar was automatic charge, but there was a bit of room on the top to put a few of your own items. Not as many snacks in the mini-bar as the states. Internet access is not free anywhere in the hotel, including the business center. You can buy a voucher for 4 pounds 1 hr, 8 pounds 4 hours, 15 pounds 24 hours. And it is only a charge for the time you are logged in. The breakfast was convient and 12 pounds.

The area is very studenty lots of clubs, bars, punky type shops. The Camden Market wasn't really worth the bother. But the walk to the tube station was super quick. There is a bar across the street that is loud on that side, but closes fairly early. There are two pubs at the corner of the cross street you can walk to.

The room got a bit hot, didn't want to use the air-conditioning (which worked fine), so we kept the door open a bit to cool things off. The lobby was comfortable. The business center had 2 computers you could use if you bought internet credit.

THe fitness center was 3 modern machines, but was empty every time I used it and was perfectly fine.

• Elainehead's Profile Photo

Nicest hotel room I have ever stayed

I chose this hotel for its location, then I found a good price (for its 4-star category. We paid £ 80/night VAT included) using the Hotel Reservation Service (HRS) site. Besides, on the HRS site, I could book my room without giving my credit card number.
    The hotel is located in Camden Town.
    Our standard room was # 108 (non-smoking, 1st floor) viewing the side and part of the back of Viacom building, and a bit of Regents Park Canal . It was a small double-bed room very well-equipped and very clean. More facilities info at: http://www.holidayinncamden.co.uk/accomodation.html
    The bathroom was a bit small (if you want a photo of it, e-mail me). No need to bring soap and shampoo. Dove Liquid Soap and Lux Shampoo & Body Soap available.

Unique Quality: Great location. Great facilities. Very clean room.

Directions: Two blocks from the Camden Town Tube Station. There is a Wagamama restaurant (chek my restaurants' tips) just across the hotel.

More about Holiday Inn London-Camden Lock

A real find in London

by TripAdvisor Member gst1

Myself and partner were attending a concert in the Jazz Cafe so we found this hotel to be quite near the venue.

Camden is a funky, trendy, hip and happening part of London which means there are plenty of bars and clubs nearby and a few 'characters' out and about which, in my view, adds to the ambiance!

The Holiday Inn Camden Lock is right on the canal edge beside the famous Camden Lock footbridge and the many markets and shops. The bar next door to the hotel doesn't allow outside drinking after 9:30pm so noise shouldn't really be a problem.

We did hear some revellers late on but nothing too bad.

I found the check-in to be swift and courteous, our room and bathroom was immaculate and functional. A nice juliet style balcony enables you to open glass doors onto the canal side. The bar area is friendly and not too expensive with a plasma TV and internet room off to the side.

The hotel is about a 10 minute stroll from Camden Town tube station and is therefore very easy to find.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again in the future. In fact the location is great for seeing some of the real London yet only a 10min tube ride from the tourist sites and much more expensive bars/resteraunts in the West end.

Well recommended!

Great Hotel - Veeerrry Interesting town - and people!!

After reading some reviews we spent only 1 night at Holiday Inn Camden Lock, to our great disappointment. Originally booked for 2 nights then changed to another hotel for the 2nd night - big mistake!!

The Hotel was very modern, clean , bright and comfortable. The room was very comfortable and spacious, with two big double beds, excellent air conditioning system. The mini bar was quite pricey, though we didn't use it as we took our own minitures! Staff were very kind and helpful with any queries we had. Breakfast was included (good deal from Holiday Inn website £85,) and was very good, with a good selection, clean lovely bright dining room, but on reflection we wish we hadn't eaten, as there was so much variety on offer at the market just outside the hotel. The hotel itself is in an excellent location, right on the lock (we are big fans of canals and barges! - no we are not THAT old!) Only downside - no car park facility - nearest one is Pratt Street, but very reasonable at £12.50 per 24hrs, £10 weekends, but hey - this IS London. We got on the 88 bus to Trafalgar Square, and realised it wasnt too far away for all the regular tourist attractions, and for only £1.50 single, but a day ticket is very good value too.

To say the Camden markets and the people were interesting is an understatement. We picked up some great bargains, lots of original itmes, and had a real laugh with some of the characters on the stalls. We also met up with the resident town crier around the Lock market, who was a bundle of fun too!!

There is a pub on almost every street corner, and plenty of good bars and restaurants. Try the Tapas bar round the corner on Inverness street 'Barganza' for great tasting, great value food, and plenty of it.

Yes, there were some dodgy looking characters at night, (same as most towns) but we didn't feel threatened or vulnerable in anyway, just smiled politely and went on our way, and they did the same.
The high street and the markets are just so full of life and vibrancy, friendly people, Punks, Goths, Mocha's galore, but all the more interesting for that, it was hard to leave. We will definitely be back, with our 2 teenage kids, and sooner rather than later!

Good hotel, interesting neighborhood

I stayed in this hotel for 6 days in August. It's located in Camden Town, in northern London. The tube station is right around the corner on the Northern Line, so it's easily accessible. When we got out of the station to walk to the hotel, we were amused by the crowded, punk neighborhood. It's like St. Mark's Place in Manhattan, only more. The hotel itself is quite comfortable: the room was a fine size, clean and cozy. I slept well each night, but as a New Yorker, it might have been noisy at night but I wouldn't know. For some reason there are only about 4 tv channels, and lots of pay channels. So don't go for the television viewing. They had a large breakfast buffet of average quality (which was devoured for an hour every morning by my German travelling companions) with good service. We had dinner in the area one night, and realized that everyone in the restaurant was younger and louder than we were. Didn't go back, opting instead for travelling on the tube to more central neighborhoods in search of quieter dining. All in all, I think it was a good value, you just have to decide if you mind the young, loud area. The hotel is perfectly comfortable.

Good value

Great location for the price if you don't mind not being slap bang in the centre of town which is only a very short tube or cab ride away. Tube station is a one block away and there are plenty of cafes, restaurants and bars within a few blocks. Our room was spacious, modern and very clean. Front desk staff are friendly but slow and somewhat bewildered.

Fantastic Hotel Will Use Again and Again

I brought my boyfriend a weekend stay in Camden for his Christmas present as he hadn't been to London before. I didn't know what to expect with the hotel as i have never stayed here however this hotel was one of the parts that made our weekend perfect. We turned up 2.5 hours earlier than the arrival time and they let us have our room straight away, the hotel was extremely easy to find and i would say you couldn't find a hotel in such a perfect location for Camden. Its very clean and the staff are always there to help. Our room was an exectutive room and i would say they are well worth the money the views along the locks are great, You don't get any problems with the noise coming from the markets and the bars either. Our train wasn't until the night time and the hotel porter came an collected our luggage and put them in a safe room for us to come back and collect later. The only problem we encountered was that we wasn't staying long enough and we didn't want to leave....

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member Samiloupepperell

This was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, we had room 220 overlooking the lock and the market, and it was surprisingly quiet at night - no problems with getting to sleep. The breakfast at this hotel was the best I have ever had, fantastic buffet with just about everything you can think of on it! We paid only £70 for a queen sized room including breakfast by booking direct on the Holiday Inn website - such fab value for money!

Nice! Good location. Comfortable hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member ilovegreece

I stayed here just for one night but there really was nothing to fault other than the breakfast, which there wasn't enough hot vegetarian foods.
But other than that it was great.

Good location, I went with my work place who were organising a team building event. The location was great, 5 minutes from the nearest tube station.
Interesting people in the area!
The hotel room was superb, nothing wrong with it at all, it was very comfortable and spacious. See pictures. Staff from my experience were all fine too.

Would reccommend it to most.

Best Location / Best Price / Best Everything....

by TripAdvisor Member Christian_Austria

Such a high standard hotel for such a low fare! And all this in the middle of London, in Camden Town, where it all happens! Clean, high standard rooms ( designer-like ), excellent breakfast, friendly staff, unbeatable location.
Don't worry about reviews that say "strange neighbourhood" or so. Camden Town is not dangerous anymore! Quite the contrary - camden town today is one of Londons' hippest neighborhood with the best stores, food and markets. Check it out - you won't be disappointed!

Comments