Hoxton Hotel London

Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

1937

Rated 10% higher but also costs 23% more than other 4 star hotels

• Homophobic! Stay away

If you are gay-friendly or gay yourself, stay away from this hotel.

I was harassed by the security guard, Thomas Bodnar, while hanging out in the hotel bar. My wife and I were trying to order a pizza over the phone when the guard came up to us and asked for our hotel key to prove we were actual "hotel patrons". When I brushed him off (as I was trying to order a pizza) he got aggressive, demanding to know if I was a "man or a woman" and started to get very homophobic and rude.

I have honestly never encountered such in-your-face homophobia in all my business travels (I regularly travel to Shanghai and around the world on business). It was a huge surprise to encounter this kind of attitude in what is largely considered a cool, gay-friendly city.

Suggest that anyone that is gay-friendly or gay STAY AWAY from this establishment. The hip marketing belies a very unfriendly underbelly.

• Right in the Heart of Hoxton

I always have my family and friends stay here: very clean, friendly, central, and a good independent design hotel. There can occasionally be loud parties in the lobby but that's all part of being right in the city centre.

Unique Quality: Convenient, good value, design hotel with nice furnishing, free internet.

Directions: Four minutes walk from Old Street Tube, ten minutes walk from Liverpool Street. 243 and 55 buses stop nearby.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo

my favorite hotel in London

Finding a room in London is expensive. For some strange reason we found a great offer for this 4 star hotel and although it was the New Year’s Eve we payed 90 euros per night when these days even some hostels with shared bathroom were asking the same money!

The room and the bathroom were clean, big enough, the twin bed was very comfortable and the room had some great colors. There was free wi-fi connection all over the hotel and satellite TV in the room. You can prepare and drink your coffee at the room where they give you for free some different tastes of coffee! The safety box is small but very helpful.

The lobby was nice two, with two fireplaces that were very useful for some relaxing moments. There is also a nice restaurant inside called GRILLE that serves also people that aint customers of the hotel. I checked the menu where I saw normal prices but we never managed to eat there. The staff was very polite and helpful and another small but helpful surprise was that the checkout time was at 12 o’clock.

Unique Quality: Every morning they bring you the breakfast at your door (!) and that includes one fruit, one yogurt and one orange juice. When they clean the room they put one milk (for the coffee) at your fridge!

Directions: It is located at CITY, not far from the center. Take the tube to OLD STREET station, get out from exit 3 and walk along the main road for 3’. You’ll see the hotel at your right.

• leeludalas's Profile Photo

Reasonably priced Hotel near Old Street

Nice modern hotel in Old Street/Liverpool Street area. Room was 79 pounds/night. Wide flat screen TV, clean, bathroom had walk in shower. No mini bar but the front desks sells sodas, champagne, etc.

Unique Quality: Nice location close to Tube- modern appearance and very comfortable.

Directions: 5 minutes walk from Old Street Tube (Use Exit 3)

More about Hoxton Hotel London

Budget guide from article in General tip...

by graememooney

Hotels A view of Hyde Park from the new Royal Suite at the Baglioni Hotel will cost you £4,500, excluding VAT, but there are more affordable deals in London's up-and-coming areas. Try the Hoxton Hotel (020 7550 1000, www.hoxtonhotels.com), where a glass front wall connects the comfortably louche interior with arty, down-at-heel Shoreditch outside. Book for a weekend break and a double room could cost as little as £79 a night. Even better, Shoreditch is right on the fringe of the City, with Liverpool Street station providing easy access to the Tube network.
There are also good options in Earl's Court, once famous for the dinginess of its low-rent accommodation. Here, Mayflower Apartments (020 7370 0991, www.mayflower-group.co.uk) has caged love-birds in the lounge and exotic décor that includes a teak arch from Jaipur, while its sister boutique hotel Twenty Nevern Square (020 7565 9555, www.twentynevernsquare.co.uk) is just as lovely. Both keep things chic in an Eastern style for less than £100.
If location is more important than style, Premier Travel Inn County Hall (0870 238 3300, www.premiertravelinn.com) is right on the South Bank and currently offering doubles for £99 a night. Housed in the building that was once home to the Greater London Council, the rooms are crisply functional, though none has a river view. If price is the only consideration, £40 a night buys a basic bed and attached shower-room at one of three easyHotels (www.easyhotel.com). The Kensington easyHotel is 20 minutes' walk from the Natural History, Science and Victoria and Albert Museums; the others are in Earl's Court and Pimlico.

From General Tip article

by graememooney about Budget hotelling

Hotels A view of Hyde Park from the new Royal Suite at the Baglioni Hotel will cost you £4,500, excluding VAT, but there are more affordable deals in London's up-and-coming areas. Try the Hoxton Hotel (020 7550 1000, www.hoxtonhotels.com), where a glass front wall connects the comfortably louche interior with arty, down-at-heel Shoreditch outside. Book for a weekend break and a double room could cost as little as £79 a night. Even better, Shoreditch is right on the fringe of the City, with Liverpool Street station providing easy access to the Tube networkIn central London you would be hard-pressed to find better value for money than the B & B Belgravia (020 7259 8570, www.bb-belgravia.com). Its handsome monochrome lounge is furnished with leather sofas and a swish modern fireplace. A double room costs £107.

Simon Coppock is editor of Time Out London for Visitors (£5.99) and Time Out London Shortlist (£6.99; the 2008 edition is published next month).

Great new hotel

by TripAdvisor Member WhoGrant

I spent two nights at the Hoxton after flying in from San Francisco, the start of a 10 day trip to visit family. I like to relax a bit in London and get over jet lag before continuing my stay in the UK and previously I'd been "slumming it" at myHotel just of Tottenham Court Road but they have been going down somewhat and their prices going up so I thought I'd try something new.

Overall I really enjoyed staying at the hotel and thought it was good value for money and has a lot of style. I'd only ding it on location - not really for the drab street it is on, but that it took a couple of tube rides to get to the central London area I spend most of my time in. It took me a little effort to figure out how to find the hotel from Old Street Station because there are so many exits from that station and it was raining and I didn't have my bearings when I came out to street level. After the first time the three minute walk each way was a piece of cake.

myHotel has it easily beat on location since I could just walk out my door and in 5 minutes be at Leceister Square or Piccadilly Circus. But really its a compromise - as I mentioned The Hoxton is both cheaper and nicer than myHotel IMHO with provides a lot of space to hang out, drink and eat. Spending 15/20 minutes navigating the tube to get to stops on the Central line was no big deal.

For the details...

My room was small - but efficiently laid out providing a desk, TV, cheap movies (didn't use), cheap phone calls, free internet and wifi, free water, free coffee and milk and free "snack" breakfast (bagel, yoghurt etc) delivered to your door at the time of your choosing. I actually passed that up and ate a full breakfast at the restaurant downstairs both days, about 10 pounds with coffee, but pretty tasty and convenient.

The only thing lacking in my room was space for storing bags since the closet was basically just big enough for hanging some clothes with a small fridge underneath. Fortunately I didn't have a lot of bags, although I would expect you could get the hotel to put extra stuff some place if you needed it - or maybe there are bigger rooms available (I had a bottom of the range double).

The bed was very comfortable and I enjoyed the down comforter, pillows and fine cotton sheets - I really slept well. The bath room was immaculate (well everything was - the place is BRAND NEW) and they provided nice soap and plush towels. The bathroom has a walk-in shower with overhead or hand held shower head - good hot water, good pressure - no complaints.

I had no problems at all with noise - my room was on the back (south) side of the building and was very quiet. The only problem was that there were other buildings facing my window and there was no way to block the view into my room without closing the drapes completely. So, no wandering naked around the room unless you're an exhibitionist. Hoxton Hotel - if you're reading this perhaps you could install some translucent blinds to provide some privacy without blocking all the light?

I didn't eat at the restaurant other than breakfast but enjoy a few drinks at the bar each night and had no problems charging stuff to my room (someone else said this was not possible). The staff were all courteous and helpful but they are European so maybe some people will find them lacking in the "serious sucking up" department you might find at a high end American hotel. But no one is looking out for a big tip either - and there is no additional service charge like myHotel adds.

One thing I really didn't like about The Hoxton was that it has a very strict booking policy, for almost all situations once you've made your reservation online you are going to be charged and not be able to get a refund. Your stay is non-refundable and non-changeable (except to extend). So read the Terms and Conditions carefully before booking!

So, not perfect - if it was in the location that myHotel was then I would say it was - needless to say I will be going back to stay at the Hoxton again on my next trip. I just hope they can continue to offer rooms at less than 100 pounds a night.

Loved the Area

by TripAdvisor Member agjeaton

Being a London Boy working abroad I was pleasantly surprised when I heard that a new hotel had sprung up just around the corner from where I was born. With a pending business trip on then cards I suggested to my Boss that we choose this Property, I did not explain to him that it was not near the Savoy or Dorchester but in an area that was quite run down when I was a young lad growing up. Anyway I showed him the web site and to his amazement the price, being in charge of the finances he whipped out his credit card and booked it.

For six nights we had an average rate of 100 quid, which is not bad at all in London for what you can get, we arrived at Heathrow and swiftly jumped into a black Taxi and asked for The Hoxton hotel in Great Eastern Street, Shorditch, he of course never heard of a hotel there but I insisted it existed was and we made our way there.

As we arrived we discovered it was cleverly hidden with in a old converted building, first impressions were great! A well designed lobby, cool bar and coming from the Middle East where there is a distinct lack of Alcohol our mouths started to water. We arrived at 1.30pm and our rooms were not ready so we dived into the bar for a pint, great selection of beer, wines and spirits, the bar man Rob was more and helpful and kept us entertained for most of our stay, as many a night was spent at the bar talking business of course!

When our rooms were ready reception came and fetched us form the bar, on arrival to my room I found it was not cleaned and still had the remains of what looked like a fairly good party the night before, on return to reception they were clearly apologetic and issued me with an alternative room, in fact it was on the top floor next to the laundry cupboard, placing my key in the slot several times with no luck it was time to return to the reception (if they issued loyalty cards for visits I would have been a gold member), again they apologized and I returned for my third attempt and finally entered. The room was small but clean and pleasant, a flat screen T.V was located on the wall, nice bed with great linen and a cool monsoon shower, and the great thing about being stuck on the 6 floor next to the linen cupboard was I heard no noise for my entire stay! But be aware my Boss was woken each night by the emptying of the beer bottles in the skip (many of which I am sure were drunk by us)
The do not disturb signs don’t technically work, while in the shower a maid clearly did not see the sign and tried to enter the room, luckily for her my ears were alert and I managed to save my modesty by shouting a small gesture, and luckily she understood as most of the very pleasant housekeeping staff are Eastern European.
Food was good, Great Breakfast, had the full Hoxton Fry up each morning (pork being a no go in our next of the woods) went down particularly well, also check the restaurants and pubs around the area (things have changed since I was last here) they are funky & cool and many a celebrity can been seen on a Saturday night especially as we witnessed a couple of Oscar winning East enders stars on the prowl.

To sum it up The Hoxton was a great choice a few teething problems, but then again the property had barely been open 4 weeks when we arrived, I will be back to stay on our next trip and I am sure the smiling faces, great bar staff and clean rooms will remain as so will the low prices.

From Canada and we loved the Hoxton

by TripAdvisor Member Feltmates

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Hoxton, one before going to Paris and one on our return. The room was spotlessly clean, the most comfy bed, and the shower to die for. The room was larger than we had been expecting for London, it had a lovely bed, side tables, a desk and chair, lounge chair, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate makings with a lovely kettle. There were two bottles of water and a container of milk in the small fridge every day. There was a flat screen TV as well as a small safe. We were able to get in on a promotion so got more than our money's worth for 29GBP. The staff were more than helpful, we arrived at 9:30am and were met with "you've just come in off an overnight flight, of course we will check you in". When they saw my wheelchair they offered us a larger room, but ours was adequate so we stayed put. They helped with taxis, maps and directions each time we asked. Breakfast was a pot of yogurt, banana and orange juice., left on a little post outside the door. The restaurant in the hotel was of excellent value and each meal very tasty. When we went on to our next hotel my hubby realized he left his suit in their closet, when we called, they were quite willing to mail it back to us in Canada, but we were close enough that we went back and got it. All in all, I would certainly recommend this hotel. It is a few steps from the Old St. tube and bus stops, maybe not central London, but we enjoyed the bus as we got to see and speak to locals going back and forth to work and shopping, all part of my London experience.

Nice stay in new hotel

by TripAdvisor Member nice-traveller

Spent two nights at the Hoxton . The room was nice but on the smaller side. Everything is new and stylish. The lady at the front desk was great and helpful.I recommend this hotel and would gladly return.

Fantastic New Hotel Experience.

by TripAdvisor Member JD60

This newly-opened hotel leaves no stone unturned for the visitor to London. From check-in to check-out, you will enjoy what the Hoxton has to offer. Modernity, atmosphere, good food and great rooms and bathrooms all gel to make the stay a happy one. Nice touches include a complimentary breakfast bag to kick start the day, a free Guardian to browse through over breakfast, and a DJ to entertain in the reception/bar area at night. Rooms have ample supplies of tea and coffee and the furnishings and linens are of superior quality. The Restaurant menu is varied and service is efficient. (A Costcutter shop just across the street is handy for other food requirements.) The hotel's location just a few hundred metres from old Street Underground ensures easy access to the city centre. At £59 per double/twin room per night on the dates we stayed, the Hoxton is excellent value. Great Eastern St. can be very busy and noisy so a room facing Willow St. or the hotel's courtyard might not be a bad idea for the light sleeper. Street noise is a problem at many major city hotels and here is no exception. However, this problem can not be attributed to the hotel so try out the Hoxton. You will not be disappointed.

Loved it - would definatly stay again.

by TripAdvisor Member cb054

We really liked this hotel. Good room, great restaurants nearby and good cocktails in the bar, not far from Old Street station.

We have had roadside rooms in other london hotels which have been very noisy. Because of the good double glazing this is not a problem at the Hoxton.

The place is clean stylish and if you get a room deal great value for money.

Hotels

by Kirra1

Hi my family of four adults are visiting London for a few days in April can anyone recommend any hotels either in the city or close to transport to get to city mid range in price. I have read some post about Paddington but have been told it is not very nice can anyone give me some advise. Thanx

by zuriga

There are many more interesting areas to stay in rather than Paddington. It's a bit of a wasteland as far as restaurants, too. Have you thought about renting a flat? There are some better-priced options that way. It's easy getting around London so don't worry about where you stay - everything is fairly close to good transport. The Cavendish is a mid-range hotel, but I only know about it from a friend who stayed there. There are some reasonable hotels on Cromwell Road near Gloucester Road - that's a quite nice neighborhood and handy. Search through the hotels listed on VT - there are probably lots of reviews. If you need the name of an apartment place, just email. I once stayed at a very nice one.

by marielexoteria

If you want to stay in Paddington I can recommend Westpoint Hotel. Info on my London page.

by OiKnow

"mid range priace" is relative. I was very happy with the Hilton Tower Bridge, nice, new, very good service. At about 100 GBP per night (advance purchase) it is mid priced for London. There is a tip with pictures on my London page.

David

by Neilzonwheelz

Have a look at www.wotif.com to get an idea of prices, what is available and also www.tripadvisor.com or reviews/feedback. Good luck

by KPGills

The Hoxton Hotel is one of the cheaper London hotels which has very good reviews on TripAdvisor etc. Their website is http://www.hoxtonhotels.com/ - there is a £1 per room offer on again soon so it may be worth keeping an eye on their website.

I`m staying their in December as travelling up from Kent for a birthday party, but everyone who I know says it`s a great "cheaper" hotel.

The hotel is close to the tube station etc.

Comments