Huttons Hotel

tickytock's Profile Photo

First European Hotel Experience

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 15, 2008

This was the first hotel I staved in on my first-ever trip to Europe- was there for approximately three nights. The room in which I stayed (with three travel companions) contained four single beds, three dressers and two radiators, all crammed into one smallish room. It was definately cozy- too cozy, I would say, considering the amount of luggage some of us decided to bring. To access the bed furthest away from the door, one would have to make three giant leaps over the first three beds, all the while attempting not to squish any of the luggage or bags on the floor. Not that i'm complaining: it was a real bonding experience for all of us and we all got a lot closer over thoses few days.

The bathroom was an honest laugh for us... it looked almost as though the architects had run out of room and had simply decided to put the toilet on the inside of the shower. The whole shebang took up at most, twelve feet squared. Although on the plus side (and for me, this is a MAJOR plus), they had amazingly fluffy towels and not only that, but there were enough for all of us.

If you do decide to stay at this hotel, I would not stop you- except to say that you should NOT get a room on the first floor. Ours was, and it had two windows which you could easily see through from the street. Since the drapes in our room were sheer and fairly easy to see through, we felt very exposed as we slept. I would either recommend a) getting a room on a higher floor, or b) asking for more sheets at the front desk, so as to further cover the windows.

Unique Quality: THE GOOD: breakfast included. access to payphone. able to have a nice pee at the same time you took a shower. nice towels. good location at an amazingly cheap price. close to tube station.

THE NOT-SO-GOOD: the small size. being able to be seen by random passers-by as you slept. tripping over the toliet as you washed your hair.

The included breakfast consisted of bacon, sausages (no good for me, I'm a vegetarian), lumpy cold eggs and toast. the toast were actually pretty good, but having a slice of toast and a cup of tea for breakfast resulted in me going all hobbit-style and resorting to eating "second breakfast" a few hours later. But what can you expect really- it was free after all.

Directions: Borough of Westminster

Gyppo's Profile Photo

Huttons Hotel, Victoria, London

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 24, 2005

I stayed here for one night. Room was small, with a good firm bed, in which I slept well. The room had tea and coffee. The television did not work properly, and there was no remote control. The shower was small, and there was very little hot water in the morning. I had the same problem in the evening when shaving.

Staff were friendly, although I didn't have many dealings with them. When I explained I would have to leave before breakfast was served, the receptionist volunteered the services of the night porter who would make me some bread and jam. In the event, I did not have time to pick this up.

Overall, the hotel was just barely adequate, and I am glad it was on expenses. Picture is courtesy of the hotel website.

Unique Quality: Reasonable location, near to Victoria tube. On a fairly quiet street. The hotel also organises tours including London and Windsor.

Directions: Victoria is nearest tube. Exit through shopping centre and turn right towards Belgave Road. Walk past Passport Office on left, and the hotel is about 10 minutes walk, on the left.

Nearby Huttons Hotel

Amenities at Huttons Hotel

• Continental Breakfast
  • Shuttle Service

London Travel Forum

Need advice about London, United Kingdom? Visit the Travel Forum for London and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest London hotel reviews

Portobello Road and Notting Hill
Public Buses
Taxis
Transportation
Docklands Light Railway (DLR)
Driving in London
Eating, Drinking and socialising
London Dungeon
The Thames
Favorites
Public Transport (not taxis)
Soho and the West End